Down the Rabbit Hole

Down the Rabbit Hole

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

    “Alice.” A silky, hypnotic voice seeped through the door to my ears.

    “Go away!” I shouted, “Get out of my house!” If it could breathe, my pillow would be suffocating because of the tight grip with which I was clinging to it. How dare this woman come into my home, scar my sister, seduce my father, and even try to talk to me. I sobbed into my pillow. Bloody tears! Ever since I opened my floodgate of emotion I couldn’t get them to stop. Oh mother, I wish you were here! Holding me, keeping father in line and keeping that woman OUT!

    A small click came from my door and I looked up to see that mass of fiery hair, and smug smirk that I was starting to hate.

    “Oh poor Alice,” she cooed, stroking my hair. A strange numbness washed over me at her touch. “It must have been so hard for you. Loosing your mother, and your father not holding it together. Oh and your sister can’t be easy to take care of.” She sounded sympathetic on the surface, but something about this intruder made me feel uneasy. I sat up and scooted as far away from her as I could, pressing my back against the hard, wooden bed post.

    “But Don’t worry my dear,” She continued, cupping my chin as if I was a porcelain doll…so breakable, “That’s why I’m here. Your father hired me to be a nanny for you girls.”

    “But miss-”

    “Ah ah ah,” she stopped my futile protest, “Please call me Scarlet.”

     I had to suppress an eye roll. “Alright, Scarlet. We don’t need a nanny here. Browyn, father and I are doing just fine.” I stood up and started towards the door but she stopped me, her face inches away from mine.

     “Are you now? Because last I checked your father was an alcoholic, your sister still thinks your mother is coming back, and you’re 16 years old and will never have a husband until your father dies. But if I’m here, your free to live your life. And all those little problems go away.”

     I scoffed bitterly. “And how could you solve all of that.”

     She gave me a small, wicked grin and stood behind me. Gripping my shoulders, she whispered. “We’ll start like this. Browyn!” She called. A few seconds later, Browyn sulked in, hugging her worn out, dirty teddy bear close to her chest. Her thin hair fell in her sad, fearful eyes and my loathing of this awful woman behind me grew.

     Then she said the words that broke my sister’s fragile heart. “You’re mother is dead.”

    I gasped and broke away from that witch’s grasp. Little Browyn dropped her toy ad looked up me, sad and confused. “D-dead? No… she can’t be. Ally…tell her its not true. That mummy is coming home soon.”

    “Browyn I-”

    “Tell her!” She screamed, angry tears rolling down her plump cheeks. I just stood there silently. I reached my arm out to her, not knowing what else to do, what could I do? Her face grew ghostly white, her legs started to wobble. Realization hit her and she ran from the house sobbing.

     “Browyn!” I shouted attempting to run after her, but a deceitfully smooth hand yanked me to a stop. I sank to my knees trembling.

     Scarlet knelt next to me and rubbed my shoulders. The motherly gesture sent a shiver of fear down my spine. “See, now she knows the truth. And your father will accept his loss and stop drinking like a pig with me to comfort him. Don’t you see how much better this will be?”

    I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t move. I just sat there, dazed, until she left my room.

* * *

    That night was horrible. Browyn didn’t even look at me as I tucked her into bed, singing her favorite lullaby. Mother used to sing it to us, she said it chased away the nightmares. But I had a feeling it wouldn’t work in real life.

    Thin walls were the worst part of our little home. I despised hearing Scarlet purr my father’s name like a hungry cat. Life so far was not the fairy tale she had tried to paint, and I had a feeling that it was only going to get worse.

    The only things that got me through the next day were my steadfast friends, Belle and Anthony. I sat at a small café drumming my fingers against the table. Then a pair of hands covered my eyes. I yelped in surprise.

     “Guess who.” A deep, familiar voice laughed. A high pitched giggle harmonized with him and I smiled. I stood up and gave Belle a quick hug before Anthony wrapped me in a strong embrace. I buried my head into his chest and let out a shaky breath. This past year had completely shattered my happy little world, and the only two people to stay with me besides my sister (who I now fear hated me for lying to her) were these people comforting me right now. They stuck by me when mum died, and talked me out of taking my own life.

    Yes at one point about 1 month after my world came crashing down I ran to the garden in my backyard. There was a solitary willow tree whose leaves had all died leaving a haunting silhouette. I had tied a noose to one of those strong branches and slipped my head through the loop. The weight of it was oddly comforting around my neck. Just as leapt to my death, Anthony caught me in his arms and cut the rope. Belle had woken up Browyn and they brought me a cold glass of water and told me how much they loved me. Browyn sang me mother’s lullaby and belle had stayed the night, while Anthony promised to bring his gran’s special French pastries for breakfast the next morning.

     Anthony kissed my forehead, bringing me back to the present. I sighed and let him sit me down.

     “What happened?” Belle asked, placing her small hand on mine.

     I gave her a teary smile and leaned against Anthony. “Father hired a nanny. Though she acts more like a prostitute.” I rolled my eyes and Belle gave a sympathetic chuckle. “And last night she…she told Browyn about mum.” I lowered my eyes and bit my lip. My friends grew silent in understanding.

    “Alice, I’m so sorry.” Anthony said and hugged me close. Belle came over and joined us after she order3 bowls of warm soup. She believed a warm meal could make anyone feel a little bit better. When the waiter left I told them everything about last night, and they listened patiently, their soul intent to comfort me. How on God’s green earth could I have ever deserved better friends than them?

    “Thank you.” I mumbled, holding back tears of gratitude, “Both of you. For everything. I owe you both my life.”

    Belle smiled, her normal cheery self, and patted my knee. “What are friends for. Now let’s eat. I’m so hungry I almost ate you right up, Alice!” She cried in exasperation as the waiter brought out our lunch.

    “I wouldn’t blame you if you did. She looks absolutely delicious to me.” Anthony breathed, giving my blushing cheek a playful bite. I warm rush flowed through out me. Belle eyed us, smiling strangely and went on eating.

    When we all finished, Belle seemed to be in a sudden hurry to get home to do her chores. “How strange.” I commented as Anthony walked me home. “She is always trying to get out of cooking and cleaning.”

    Anthony shrugged and casually took my hand. My face grew red. Being with Anthony always felt so natural, but now I just craved his touch, his voice, his heat. I sighed, No Alice! You can’t think these thoughts. You have to focus on making money, and taking car of Browyn, and-

    But my thoughts were cut off when Anthony suddenly stopped. I looked at him curiously. He bit his lip, and kept his eyes on our entwined fingers. His foot tapped quickly, revealing all his nervous habits.

    “Anthony, what’s the matter?” I asked, all of the sudden feeling guilty. He had spent so much time listening to my problems. Months and months of nothing but helping dreary old me, and I had never noticed he might have been sad!

    He sighed. “N-nothing. Its just…” He stuttered, sounding shy. I gazed into his eyes waiting for him to continue, but he didn’t. Instead he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I didn’t resist it. I wrapped my arms around his neck and let myself forget about the world, only sensing him and his hands on my waist pulling me closer and closer. But too soon, Anthony broke the kiss, still holding me though.

    “Alice Collins,” He murmured, sliding down to one knee. I gasped. What was he doing? “I have loved you for 3 years, ever since you bumped into me and knocked over a tray of sugar cookies I was holding.” We both smiled at the memory. “I have loved you even when you didn’t love yourself. And I know that you feel like the universe is against you right now, but I will always be on your side. I want to take care of you and your family. So please,” he looked up at my crying face, “please be my wife.”

    I brought a trembling hand to my mouth. Had my best friend in all of London just proposed to me. I gaped down at him. The afternoon sun highlighted his golden brown hair, his gentle eyes matching the color of the sky. And at that moment, I knew I couldn’t be strong anymore. I fell into his arms nodding fervently. He laughed euphorically and kissed my hair, my cheek, my ears, my neck.

    “Oh thank you Alice!” He grinned, causing me to laugh through my tears, “I promise you, this will all work out. You me and Browyn will be so happy together. And your father can live with us to if you want. You’ll see! I’ll keep you safe. No one will ever hurt you again.”

     I smiled, truly wanting to believe him. But something felt wrong. Surely my good fortune couldn’t stay. It never had before.

* * *

    It had been a week since Anthony proposed to me, which means Scarlet had been with us for 7 hellish days. She moved into my father’s bedroom, which made me both relieved and disgusted. She woke me and little Browyn up at 6:00 every morning to mop the floors, scrub the dishes, and make breakfast. After that we did laundry, I went to the market while Scarlet taught Browyn arithmetic. Though I wasn’t there for the lessons, my sister told me that every time she got an answer wrong, Scarlet would smack her hand with a ruler. Within a few days the child had forgiven me for lying about mum enough to let me kiss hew swollen red fingers and put ointment on them.

    Noticing that our little family was low on money, since father had lost his job as a blacksmith, Scarlet ordered us to pawn off our “unnecessary appliances”. That meant selling mother’s wedding dress. Losing that seemed like she left us anew, and a fresh wave of sorrow entered our house. I sold gold pocket watch grandfather had passed down to me and a few dresses that were to small for me. And Browyn was forced to part with her beloved teddy bear.

    “No!” She had shrieked as Scarlet tore it out of her hands. “Mummy gave that to me! Its mine!” But that witch paid her no mind as she exchanged it for a few measly pence (surely going to buy more lipstick and rouge for her to seduce my father with). I consoled a weeping Browyn as Scarlet strutted out.

    But despite all of that, I was happy. I told Browyn in secret that we would run away together once Anthony and I saved up enough money to be married. That mean no more Scarlet, no more father, no more depression and hurt. Plus I promised we could buy back her teddy bear. She liked that last part very much indeed.

    To make that money, I snuck out of the house right after dusk every day to go to my new job. I worked in a local tavern as a waitress. I served beer to drunken, touchy men like my father. Night after night it was a battle to keep there hand’s off me. The pay was low, and the work was hard, but it got me a step closer to living out my fairy tale.

    Until I came home on a Saturday night. The moon was full and air was cool on my clammy skin. I hurried home as usual, not wanting to meet any creatures of the night. I quietly opened the door and slipped in unnoticed. Allowing myself a small smile of success, I went to check on Browyn. She was all tucked into bed, sleeping peacefully. I let my smile spread ad sighed. Finally life seemed bearable again.

    As per usual on these late, starry nights, I grabbed a mug of steaming tea and walked outside to relax for a while. What I saw stopped me dead in my tacks.

    Anthony stood there, with his back to me, kissing a lady with a familiar mass of red hair. I screamed, dropped my drink. Anthony flinched and looked at me, his eyes widening. Scarlet just smirked behind him. .First my father, then my fiancé? Why was this woman trying to ruin my life? Warm tears streamed down my face, my heart felt like someone was squeezing it to the point of death, a cold sweat broke out on my forehead. I was suffocating.

    “Alice I-”

    “No…” I mumbled barely audible. “No no no no no…” I took a few shaky steps toward him, and poked him on the chest. “You said that you loved me.”

    “Darling I do-”

    “No!” I yelled, feeling my anger boil like a pot of hot water, “You said that you would always be on my side. You said we take Browyn and escape this nightmare. But you lied to me! You lied to me just like everyone else, and I thought you were different!”

    “Alice I don’t know what happened, I’m so sorry!” He whispered brokenly, grabbing my arm.

    “No.” I breathed, shaking him off me and running away. I don’t know where I planned to go but I couldn’t stay here. Not now, not after what they’d done to me.

     Are you happy world? I thought, furious, and scared and alone, You finally broke me!

    “Alice wait!” Anthony called, chasing after me. But I didn’t stop, I pushed on faster. I was losing him, leaving him behind, freeing myself. Nothing could stop me now

    Until I heard him yell, “Watch out!”

    But it was to late. I tripped on the root of our willow tree and toppled head first down an unusually large rabbit hole.

    “Alice!” The startled cry faded behind me as I fell head first into a black abyss. My scream was carried away buy the wind as I fell down…

          down…

               down…

    My faded blue skirt caught on something, for the life of me I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face let alone my surroundings, and tore. The only sound after that was the wind hissing in my ear like a hungry viper. It felt as if I had been falling for hours, though that couldn’t have been right. Rabbit holes are only a few feet deep, aren’t they.

     My jumbled, confused thoughts were cut as I hit the soft ground with a thud. The wind got knocked out of me and for a few moments all I could do was focus on breathing. Then, groaning, I rubbed my head and looked up. I gasped.

     Outside of the small cave I had fallen into, the sky looked as if it were twilight, not midnight. Dusty pinks, and deep purple were God’s brushstrokes on a magnificent blue canvas. There vibrant red mushrooms, and daisies of every color with bright butterflies periodically landing on them for a snack. And right in front of me stood a tall, solitary willow tree. It looked just like the one in my garden, but full of life. Spring green leaves cascaded down it in a living waterfall like the one I knew had when mother was alive. For a second I just stood in awe of the beauty of it all.

    Then I heard footsteps. I whipped my head to the direction they came from. A dark, ominous forest stood to my left. The large, unfamiliar black trees intimidated me and anything that came from there would surely not be friendly. So, I picked up my tattered skirts, and rushed back into the cave.

    I crouched in a moist corner, trying to quiet my frantic heart beat. The footsteps got closer and it sounded like two men were speaking in hushed tones. I held my breath and squeezed my eyes shut, praying that they were just passing by.

    Then one of them called out in a small raspy voice. “H-hello?” I kept silent. “Hello? I-is anyone out there? We won’t hurt you.” With that timid voice, I was sure he wasn’t lying. But why take any chances.

    I stayed in my mediocre hiding place until the footsteps got closer…and closer…and closer until they stopped right in front of me.

    Shyly, I peeked up and saw the most gorgeous pair of ocean blue eyes. A young man with shaggy black hair, and a purple top hat lined with peacock feathers smiled down at me. Surely he couldn’t be the owner of the voice I heard. A little rabbit with a… a monocle hopped next to him and looked at me with an expression that was both worried and excited. I cocked my head curiously at him.

    “Welcome miss Alice, “ he said in a teasing yet shaky voice, making me gasp. "You're late."



© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


Author's Note

Lost in Wonderland
Thank you guys for reading. This is a first draft. COmments and constructive critiques are welcome:) God Bless

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ha, awesome chapter. I was rushed, but I see you were trying to get to the point. I can't wait for the next chapter! ^-^

Posted 11 Years Ago


I just can't wait for the next chapter .I was totally engrossed in this story .You've got a vivid imagination . And your characters are also awesome.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thank you:) God bless
More, please?? Please??? And you did a great job, making me loathe Scarlet (URGH, I need to punch that woman in the face! Too bad Alice didn't!) Haha, I LOVE your Hatter. I can just imagine him, looking all eccentric, but really nice, too. :D And his eyes are blue! Haha, I like how Alice finds out (Kinda, anyway) she's in a different world because the rabbit speaks!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thank you:))) and I shall update soon!
Rose of Gondor

11 Years Ago

YAY!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: Alice and wonderland, Fear, Family drama, Dysfunctional


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing