A Storm of Strings

A Storm of Strings

A Chapter by Mike Mitchell

 

BLACK.
 
JACK (VO)
Would you put the window up – It’s freezing.
 
CUT TO:
INT: JACK’S CAR – MORNING
 
We see JACK and MAGGIE driving through Anywhere-town, USA. It is WINTER and both are dressed accordingly. The passenger window is down. Jack (19) is driving and Maggie (18) is sitting beside him with an annoyed look on her face. They bicker constantly because of the major differences in their personalities and interests. However, their arguments are dripping with sarcasm, and rarely have lasting effect. They are very much in love.
 
MAGGIE
But it’s too hot in here.
 
JACK
So, turn the heat down.
 
MAGGIE
But whenever I do that you just turn it back up.
 
JACK
Because it’s freezing.
 
MAGGIE
Yea, outside. It’s not inside, though. Inside it’s boiling.
 
JACK
Well it won’t be, if you keep the window open.
 
MAGGIE
But it’s too hot in here.
 
JACK
So, turn the heat down.
 
MAGGIE
But whenever I do that – Oh My God! – I’m not doing this. Not again, it’s stupid.
 
JACK
No, it’s logic.
 
MAGGIE
Well, logic is stupid.
 
Pause. The passenger side window goes up. Maggie looks at Jack.
 
MAGGIE
Hey!
 
JACK
(smirking)
Oh, calm down.
 
He turns the heat down.
 
MAGGIE
Thank you.
 
JACK
Mmhmm
 
CUT TO:
INT: DINER – MORNING
 
Stripped of their winter-wear, we see the couple sitting in the booth of a diner. They’ve obviously been here for a while. Jack is finished and sits back in his chair, arms crossed, staring out the window, or off into space. Maggie is looking down at her plate, still picking at her food.
 
JACK
(looking at her)
Are you going to go tonight?
 
Maggie looks up from her plate, her mouth is half-full; she covers it daintily.
 
MAGGIE
Oh. Right.
(swallows)
I almost forgot about that – It’s tonight?
      (pauses as she wipes her mouth)
I’d rather not, but I guess I have to.
 
JACK
You don’t have to.
 
MAGGIE
Meh... I should though.
       
JACK
You should, but you don’t have to.
 
MAGGIE
Make an appearance, at least. You know, just long enough so that I can say I was there; and someone can be like, “Oh yea, I saw Maggie. She was there.”
 
JACK
      (laughs)
Kind of like Hitchcock.
 
MAGGIE
Who?
 
JACK
Nevermind.
 
MAGGIE
It sounds as if I’m like setting up an alibi, or something. Like:
      (deviously)
“Oh yea, I’ll stay there as long as it takes for someone to see me.” That’s what someone would say if, like, they were trying to rob a bank, or going to kill someone, and they needed to set up an alibi.
 
JACK
      (looking out the window)
If only our lives were that interesting.
 
MAGGIE
We could do it.
 
JACK
      (looking back)
What kill people? Or rob banks?
 
MAGGIE
Rob banks, silly. I couldn’t kill someone.
 
JACK
And how would we go about doing that?
 
MAGGIE
You know like in that movie you showed me last night.
 
JACK
What? Hold up a diner?
 
MAGGIE
Yea; or like, do it how the guy said, like with a phone.
 
JACK
That’d never work, though.
 
MAGGIE
Why not?
 
JACK
No one robs a bank with only a phone, you need a gun, or some kind of weapon. You especially can’t rob people without using a gun, or knife, or something.
 
MAGGIE
Burglars do.
 
JACK
Burglars don’t rob people, though; they rob houses, and museums, and stuff. (>>>)
JACK (CONT)
Houses and museums won’t fight back. A person will though, if you just go at them throwing wind-mills.
 
MAGGIE
So, we’ll rob a bank when it won’t fight back.
 
JACK
Why would you want to go and do that anyway? Your daddy’s already rich.
 
MAGGIE
I don’t know. It’d be a good story.
 
JACK
So is having sex with your friend at Hebrew Camp, but you never want to tell that one.
 
MAGGIE
Shut up!
 
She kicks his leg under the table.
 
MAGGIE (CONT)
(trying to be quiet)
You’re such a jerk! We were drunk!
 
JACK
(rubbing his shin)
That makes it so much better, though.
 
MAGGIE
(annoyed)
Right.
 
She crosses her arms and looks out the window.
 
JACK
You need to laugh at yourself more.
 
MAGGIE
Why? So, when you make fun of me, I laugh?
 
JACK
It’s going to happen a lot. I’m just saying be prepared.
 
MAGGIE
      (dismissive)
Right... And it wasn’t Hebrew Camp either; it was just regular summer camp.
 
JACK
      (skeptically)
Run by the JCC?
 
 
MAGGIE
(a beat; looking back)
You know when we rob banks you can’t make fun of me?
 
JACK
Why is that?
 
MAGGIE
Because I’ll have a gun then.
 
JACK
Don’t I get one?
 
MAGGIE
No. You’re the driver.
 
JACK
Oh, thank Christ. If you drove we probably wouldn’t even make it to the bank.
 
Maggie laughs.

JACK (CONT)
See that’s better.
(pause) 
How many of his movies have I shown you?
 
MAGGIE
Who? That guy?
 
JACK
Yea.
 
MAGGIE
Um... I don’t know.
(thinking)
About about two or three. I saw the one last night. 
 
JACK
(counting with his fingers)
Pulp Fiction.
 
MAGGIE
Um... that one where everyone is a color. 
 
JACK
Reservoir Dogs.
 
MAGGIE
And those two with um... Uma Thurman? – right that’s her name?
 
JACK
Yes it is, very good... You want to know something funny about each of those movies?
 
MAGGIE
Not really.
(smiles sarcastically)
But you’re probably going to tell me anyway.
 
JACK
      (smiling back)
Of course I am.
(continues his previous thought)
Did you notice that they all start the same way?
 
MAGGIE
Umm... not really.
 
JACK
Well, they do... Kind of.
 
MAGGIE
How do they start?
 
JACK
Well look at that first one – Reservoir Dogs. What happens in the opening scene?
 
MAGGIE
(unsure)
They talk about Madonna, right?
 
JACK
Mmhmm. And then they talk about tipping, because Mr. Pink won’t tip.
 
MAGGIE
Who’s Mr. Pink?
 
JACK
The guy with the goatee.
 
MAGGIE
... Oh right, the guy in The Island!
 
JACK
(scoffs; hanging his head in shame)
Why do I hang out with you?
 
MAGGIE
(cutesy)
Because you love me.
 
JACK
You’ll waste time on lame movies like The Island, but you have no idea who Alfred Hitchcock is.
 
MAGGIE
Well, I am a child of my generation. (>>>)
MAGGIE (CONT)
Unlike you, who’s stuck in several.
 
JACK
Yea, yea, yea. Anyway. The point is that it’s a long, cold opening in a diner.
 
MAGGIE
What’s a cold opening?
 
JACK
I really should’ve expected that... A cold opening is a scene that happens before the credits. And he puts one in every one of his movies-
(thinks)
most of his movies... Pulp Fiction has one too - you know the one where they talk about robbing banks. And both of those take place in diners. Then the one in Kill Bill I, takes place in a church.
 
MAGGIE
So, he puts a cold opening in his movies. I bet a lot of people do that.
 
JACK
Oh, but it gets more interesting than that.
 
MAGGIE
      (uninterested)
I’m sure it does.
 
JACK
After the cold opening, the credits come on, always with a hit from the 60’s playing over them. And then as soon as the credits are over, the next scene is in a car, or has at the very least a shot of a car. He’s got this formula: cold opening with a monologue by some gangster, credits sequence with a song that no one will know but everyone will like, and then a scene with a car in it. Reservoir Dogs: Diner Scene with the ‘Madonna’ and ‘Tipping’ monologues, “Little Green Bag,” Mr. White and Orange in the car. Pulp Fiction: Diner Scene with the “Robbery” monologue, “Misirlou,” Jules and Vincent in the car. Kill Bill I: Bill’s soliloquy in the church, “Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down),” followed by the shot of the Buck’s truck.
 
MAGGIE
Is that a fact?... What about the second one?
 
JACK
Well that one deviates somewhat, but not so much.
 
 
 
MAGGIE
(fake excitement)
Like, oh my God, really?
 
JACK
Kill Bill II has the cold opening from Kill Bill I playing over the opening credits. Then it cuts to Uma Thurman, in a car, and she gives a monologue about how she’s going to kill Bill.
 
MAGGIE
Do you not like it or something? That he’s got this formula?
 
JACK
No, not at all, it’s a great way to start a movie. Don’t get me wrong. I mean, he’s successful, so he must be doing something right. It’s just surprising to me that he can start off four movies in almost same exact way and no one calls him on it. The chrome-plated balls on that man. He probably has his assistant carry them around in a wheelbarrow behind him.
 
MAGGIE
... Well, that’s a lovely image to have after breakfast.
(looks up; beckoning with her finger)
Check.
 
CUT TO:
EXT: DINER – MOMENTS LATER
 
We see Jack and Maggie walk into frame, arm in arm, as they round the corner of the diner.
 
JACK
So, what are we going to do? We have about.
      (looking at his watch that isn’t there)  
oh, eleven hours till you need to be at her house.
 
MAGGIE
      (hopefully)
There’s always robbing a bank.
 
JACK
(laughing)
If I didn’t feel some sort of need to make you watch good movies, I wouldn’t let you watch anymore. You get too many ideas.
 
MAGGIE
We could go to the mall.
 
 
 
JACK
We went yesterday. And plus, it’ll be packed with shoppers.
 
MAGGIE
Yea... Park?
 
JACK
Did I not just have an argument with you about the temperature?
 
MAGGIE
Alright, fine... Movie?
 
JACK
That’s why we were at the mall, dear.
 
MAGGIE
(with just the slightest hint of disgust)
I guess, we could see what your friends are doing.
 
JACK
I can guarantee that it’s nothing you’d want to do. And you know they’re good guys. They’re the two funniest people I know.
 
MAGGIE
They’re certainly the strangest... Then there’s really only one thing left to do.
 
JACK
What’s that?
 
MAGGIE
      (casually)
... F**k.
 
Jack freezes, but Maggie keeps walking. After a few seconds, Jack walks after begins to walk after her.
 
JACK
(slightly confused)
What, like now?
 
BLACK.

 

Opening credits....


© 2009 Mike Mitchell


Author's Note

Mike Mitchell
(>>>) This means that on the original document there's a page break in the middle of the line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting.

Generally speaking, this is pretty good. I am assuming that this scene is itself a cold opening before the credits. It hints at a movie that intentionally follows the Hitchcock/Tarentino structure Jack has explained, with the further quasi-fourth-wall stuff of Jack periodically explaining that structure as the movie goes on.

Doing so in a way that still maintains drama, suspense, and surprise for viewers who are students of film will be a good trick, and a challenge.

I did feel at the very end that you needed a little bit of a reaction shot from Maggie right before the fade to black. Like, Jack says "What, like now?" and Maggie just turns her head over one shoulder, a sly smile playing on her face, as she continues walking back to the car. Just a quick look from her that says "yes, you loveable idiot, now."

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell

Rockland County, NY



About
Helllooooo..... I'm Mike.... ummm..... I'm not very good at summing myself up into a quaint little paragraph, which I'm guessing should be a problem for a writer, but f**k it: I'm a sophomore in colle.. more..

Writing