Youthful Hearts

Youthful Hearts

A Chapter by Mike Mitchell

 

FADE IN:
EXT: ROAD SIDE – NIGHT
 
Burgis and Coug sit on the side of the road in complete silence. Coug stares ahead into space with a pair of dead eyes, as he cradles a piece of scrap metal in his arms, that we can only presume is from his, now destroyed, car. Burgis, though, is looking down at the ground, twiddling his thumbs, searching for something to say. He goes to say something a few times, but is ultimately left speechless.
 
COUG
What am I going to do?
 
BURGIS
(trying to make Coug feel better)
Oh, it won’t be that bad.
 
COUG
My car just got raped by a train! My dad is going to kill me.
 
 
BURGIS
Just tell him what happened.
 
COUG
What- that I sat in a parking lot all day, left the car on, and when I went over the tracks it broke down, and subsequently got run over by a cargo train?
 
BURGIS
(a beat)
I’m not seeing the problem.
 
COUG
Are you f*****g kidding me?... We should’ve moved the car.
 
BURGIS
Alright, in hindsight, yes, we probably should’ve. But-
 
COUG
You said there were no trains coming!
 
BURGIS
Well, how the f**k was I supposed to know? Like a train rolling through town at this time of night was probable in the first place... What if you tell him that you got stuck between the barriers?
 
COUG
Like that’s so much better.
 
BURGIS
Honestly, I think that he’ll just be relieved that we’re ok. I mean, you have to look at this-
 
COUG
If you say “glass half full” one more time I’m going to punch you in the dick.
 
BURGIS
F**k man, we could’ve died. Imagine if we had left the parking lot 30 seconds later, we’d’ve been hit by a f*****g train. And I, for one, cannot die by being hit by a train against my will.
 
COUG
(sullenly)
Yea.
 
BURGIS
And neither can you for that matter. So if it was between the car getting annihilated by a train, and us going with it, I’m ecstatic that that train just fucked up your car.
 
COUG
Yea.
 
BURGIS
And plus, now you have that story?
 
COUG
What story?
 
BURGIS
You know how before when I told that story about Jesse, in the city, and you said, “Why doesn’t stuff like that happen when I’m around?”
 
COUG
Yea.
 
BURGIS
Well, it just has.
 
COUG
Yea, I guess.
 
BURGIS
No, it definitely has. You waited in a parking lot all day for someone that never showed up. That’s a story in itself. Nothing happened all day, but it was f*****g exciting. Then to top it all off, your car gets obliteraped by a train. I guarantee that has never happened in the history of history.
 
COUG
Yea.
 
BURGIS
Not only did we survive a train crash, we can tell that story, and people will be f*****g interested. In my mind it’s been a good day.
 
COUG
Yea, and that’s all life is anyway. A series of disappointments and “Oh remember that”s... Still doesn’t change the fact that my car is in pieces.
 
BURGIS
(a beat)
So, what do you think Creston’s surprise was?
 
COUG
Don’t know... Hopefully, a new car.
 
BURGIS
Oh s**t, wouldn’t that be f*****g amazing if it was?
 
COUG
It would be. It would’ve made it all worth it.
 
BURGIS
It would’ve made it creepy.
 
COUG
Well, it wouldn’t have been creepy then. It’d only be creepy now.
 
BURGIS
Maybe this was his plan all along.
 
COUG
(unconvinced)
To get us to wreck my car, so he can give me a new one, like a f*****g guardian angel?
 
BURGIS
Stranger things have happened... Remember last June.
 
Coug looks to Burgis. They both look ahead and lean over to glance down the road to see if anyone is coming.
 
COUG
Nothing.
 
BURGIS
Well, it was a long shot anyway.
 
Long pause.
 
COUG
We should go.
 
BURGIS
Yea, let’s go.
 
Neither of them move.
 
BLACK.
 
 
THE END.


© 2009 Mike Mitchell


Author's Note

Mike Mitchell
(>>>) This means that there's a page break during the line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 3, 2009


Author

Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell

Rockland County, NY



About
Helllooooo..... I'm Mike.... ummm..... I'm not very good at summing myself up into a quaint little paragraph, which I'm guessing should be a problem for a writer, but f**k it: I'm a sophomore in colle.. more..

Writing