Lipstick and Callous

Lipstick and Callous

A Chapter by Mike Mitchell

 

After the credits have run their course, the annoying chirp of an alarm clock starts.

 

CUT TO:
INT: BURGIS’ ROOM - MORNING
 
CU of an alarm clock showing the time as 8:57 a.m. We see BURGIS’ (18) groggy hand hit the snooze button.
 
A wide shot shows him pulling the blanket it off himself, getting up to stretch, and just generally starting his day. He steps over the piles of probably dirty clothes on the floor, and over to a pile that we can only hope is clean. After he finds a shirt & pants combo he deems worthy, he walks into the bathroom.
 
CUT TO:
INT: BATHROOM - MORNING
 
Burgis walks into the bathroom, throws some water on his face, and begins to brush his teeth.
 
CUT TO:
INT: BURGIS’ ROOM - MORNING
 
He comes out of the bathroom wearing the clothes he picked up from the floor. He grabs his jacket(s) off of the only chair in the room, and strolls out of his room. 
 
CUT TO:
INT: BURGIS’ LIVING ROOM - MORNING
 
We see Burgis coming down the stairs. We track him as he B-lines for the door, opens it, and walks to the car that is parked at the end of his driveway.
 
CUT TO:
INT: COUG’S CAR - MORNING
 
Inside the car we see his best friend, COUG (17), who has been waiting for him. Burgis opens the car door and gets in. Coug drives off.
 
BURGIS
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Mothra!
 
COUG
Did you just watch Godzilla?
 
BURGIS
No, I'm just way into Godzilla cursing, now.
 
COUG
What else goes on in Godzilla cursing?
 
BURGIS
RODAMMIT, that’s a good one.
 
COUG
(laughing)
Anything else?
 
BURGIS
Umm...Gigan’s Dick, King Kock, are also personal favorites.
 
COUG
Why 'Rodammit'?
 
BURGIS
Rodan.
 
COUG
Ooooh, clever. There was a painter Rodin. He made the Thinker.
 
BURGIS
(laughing)
A giant, French Pterodactyl made The Thinker?
 
COUG
Yea, it must’ve been hard with the wings and all. You know - no hands.
 
BURGIS
In my opinion, though, that’s what makes it so damned impressive. 
 
COUG
Oh, most definitely. A guy sitting, thinking about bullshit – not so impressive.
 
BURGIS
A guy sitting, thinking about bullshit by a Pterodactyl, though -
 
COUG
That’s a neat concept.
 
BURGIS
(a beat)
We need to get into a street fight with someone, or some group.
 
COUG
Like a West Side Story street fight, or like a Ryu/Ken street fight?
 
BURGIS
(pause; ponders)
... Both. At the same time.  I want to Hadouken some Jets; maybe rain some sweet Sonic Boom on those greasy Sharks.
 
COUG
When you you're a jet, you're a jet till the end. And I’m pretty sure that includes getting fucked up by the dude from Street Fighter.
 
BURGIS
Last night I was looking up Coulrophobia and I got a great idea -
 
COUG
Why?
 
BURGIS
Why what?                 
 
COUG
Why were you looking up the fear of clowns?
 
BURGIS
Because I can- But check it: I’m going to buy a whole bunch of pigs, and tattoo clown makeup to their faces. Or kidnap some cats, and just put clown makeup on their faces. You know, like airbrushed or something. But, like, permanent. And with those cats I’m going to start a new phobia: Ailurocoulrophobia.
 
COUG
You and your dreams.
      (a beat; sudden realization)
Oh, I heard the best cat story. Well not the best, but I was entertained.
 
BURGIS
Lay it on me.
 
COUG
You’ve seen the dorms at STAC, right?
 
BURGIS
Some of them.
 
COUG
Well, they're all little cottages and when you open the door to the cottage the stairs are right in front of you.
 
BURGIS
Yeah.
 
COUG
So you just need to visualize that.
 
BURGIS
Also, I heard the most badass Lon Cheney quote ever:
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight."
 
COUG
(laughing)
Where'd you find that?
 
BURGIS
Last night.
 
COUG
It's weird how there are some fears you can't get, but at the same time you totally understand. Clowns I understand; heights I understand. You know what I don't understand.
 
BURGIS
Pickles I don't understand.
 
COUG
My neighbor is afraid of my dog, but she's known my dog for years. And never once -
 
BURGIS
S.O.S.
 
COUG
What?
 
BURGIS
Son of Sam. Also, did you know there was a carnival haunted house with a legit dead body in it? And nobody knew.
 
COUG
Bullshit. Where?
 
BURGIS
Somewhere out in the West.
 
COUG
Of course.
 
BURGIS
This murderer got hanged, and a circus bought the corpse, and just displayed it. But then they just ended up stashing it, and it somehow wound up on a dark ride as a “hanged man.” And nobody knew.
 
COUG
Wouldn't it stink up the place?
 
BURGIS
Mummified. No smell.
 
COUG
Talk about eerie.
 
BURGIS
Talk about awesome.
 
COUG
Talk about destiny.
 
BURGIS
What?
 
COUG
How often do carnivals happen stumble upon dead bodies in auctions? Especially carnivals that run a haunted house. That’s a match made in heaven.
 
BURGIS
Oh, without a doubt.
 
COUG
What happened when they found out?
 
BURGIS
Who?
 
COUG
Well, someone had to have found out and not been too happy about it.
 
BURGIS
Oh... buried it, I guess.
 
Coug muses over the story for a second more.
 
COUG
Anyway, cat story: so these two girls lived together last year, and one of them – girl A - was like “I'm getting a cat.” And the other one – girl B - goes 'Can you do that?' And A’s just like, 'No, but f**k it.'
 
BURGIS
Right on.
 
COUG
So she gets the kitten. And B doesn't really care too much, so she's not angry, she just doesn't want to get in trouble.
 
BURGIS
Understandably.
 
COUG
One day, A goes out to class, and tells B to watch the kitten. B obliges, because she doesn’t want to start a fight, and over the past couple of weeks she’s kind of warmed up to the little guy. But, during the course of the class, B goes outside to smoke a cigarette and leaves the door open.
 
BURGIS
Uh-oh.
 
COUG
See, I know where you think it's going, because I thought the same thing. But it gets better.
 
BURGIS
Well I find it funny, because when I worked at the store, sometimes when people came in I would yell at them, “CLOSE THE DOOR WE HAVE CATS!!” And they're like "... Wait this is an ice cream parlor." And then I go "Oh yeah. Also, I don't own any cats, so I guess I was wrong." And then we share a nice laugh and have ice cream together.
 
COUG
(laughing)
Awesome... So security comes around and they're looking for someone.
 
BURGIS
Oh no.
 
COUG
They come up to B, who's outside smoking, and ask “Have you seen soandso?” She says, “No,” because she hasn’t, and then they walk inside to take a look around the room. When they walk in, though, they see the kitten sitting at the top of the stairs. And look back to the girl and go, “Uhhh... do you have a kitten in here?”
 
BURGIS
Awwwww. That's so cute in my head. Just sitting at the top of the stairs, staring down at them, with its head cocked to the side.
 
He c***s his head to the side, imitating the kitten in his head.
 
COUG
I know, right? That’s exactly how I saw it, when I heard this. But, B’s like, “No of course not.” So, they look back to the stairs and the kitten's f*****g gone. So they’re like, “We definitely just saw a kitten at the top of those stairs.” And B's like “I don’t know what you're talking about.” So, they go looking for the cat, and, of course, they find it. And the B's like, “...Oh that cat...yea we're pet-sitting for someone.” But the cat has to go that night. So A comes back and finds out that the cat has to go and she was so mad; she was like, “You had one job to do... The only thing you had to do was shut the door... Seriously...Is it too hard to shut the f*****g door?”
 
BURGIS
That’s the saddest story I’ve ever heard. There's a homeless kitten now. You know how I feel about baby animals.
 
COUG
You mean how everyone feels about baby animals?
 
BURGIS
Baby Animals are the only thing I honestly like. Everything else has to deal with irony and sarcasm. But baby animals are extremely important to me. There's nothing I don't like about baby animals. Other than that they'll grow up.
 
COUG
      (a beat)
Do you think a baby tiger can f**k you up?
 
BURGIS
I don't think a real tiger could f**k me up.
 
COUG
I don't mean ‘you’ as in you. I mean ‘you’ as in y'all.
 
BURGIS
(thinking)
Only if you let it. I mean I think the rule of thumb is: unless that baby tiger is your bestest friend, don't sleep while it's in the room.
 
COUG
 (a beat)
What's the biggest baby land mammal?
 
BURGIS
Umm... Elephants, I think.
 
COUG
Hmm... How big are they?
 
BURGIS
You can ride them.
 
COUG
Do you think a baby elephant could f**k you – plural - up?
 
BURGIS
Only if they trample you.
 
COUG
What's the life span of an elephant? Is it like human years? Or like what human years should be?
 
BURGIS
Dunno.
 
 
 
COUG
It seems like they should, live for like thirty-forty years, you know, since they only have like two or three kids.
 
BURGIS
I think that’s right.
 
CUT TO:
EXT: PARKING LOT – MORNING
 
Coug’s car pulls into a spot in a deserted (or almost deserted) parking lot.
 
CUT TO:
INT: COUG’S CAR – MORNING
 
BURGIS
      (looking around)
Soooooo... what are we doing?
 
COUG
We’re waiting.
 
BURGIS
Obviously.
 
COUG
Really? Was it that obvious?
 
BURGIS
Yes. What are we waiting for?
 
COUG
Creston.
 
BURGIS
Why are we waiting for him?
 
COUG
He told me to be here.
 
BURGIS
Oh. Why?
 
COUG
I don’t know. He just told me to be here.
 
BURGIS
When?
 
COUG
Last night. He said to be in this parking lot.
 
BURGIS
Did he specify a time?
 
COUG
Umm...
(thinking)
Not really, no. He just said to be here.
 
BURGIS
Well how do we know what time he’ll get here?
 
COUG
I guess we don’t.
 
BURGIS
(scoffs)
Well that’s not annoying. Can we call him?
 
COUG
No phone.
 
BURGIS
Where is it?
 
COUG
Left it at home. What about you?
 
BURGIS
Psh. I don’t need no phone. 
 
COUG
They are for people with a constant need to feel loved.
 
BURGIS
Damn skippy. I don’t need no phone.
 
COUG
Left yours at home, too?
 
BURGIS
Nope. In a cab.
 
COUG
A cab? When?
 
BURGIS
The other day, I think.
 
COUG
Where?
 
BURGIS
I don’t know, some cab.
 
COUG
No where was the cab?
 
BURGIS
Oh. The city.
 
COUG
Did you try calling it?
 
BURGIS
No answer. So it’s either dead and rolling around the sticky floor of a cab, or it’s in a trashcan somewhere.
 
COUG
D’you think the cabbie throw it out?
 
BURGIS
Of course he would. People have no respect for personal things.
 
COUG
Cabbies least of all.
 
BURGIS
Exactly.
 
COUG
 (a beat; annoyed
Wait a minute. You went to the city without me?
 
BURGIS
I was running errands.
 
COUG
Doing what?
 
BURGIS
I don’t know. Errands.
 
COUG
(satisfied with the answer)
Alright.
 
BURGIS
Can we go get your phone?
 
COUG
What if he shows up?
 
BURGIS
Yea, that wouldn’t be good.
 
COUG
He won’t wait.
 
BURGIS
      (a beat)
Well then, nothing to be done.
 
He reclines in his seat, folds his arms, and shuts his eyes.
 
COUG
(laughing)
Nothing to be done.
 
He looks out the window.
FADE OUT.
 

 



© 2009 Mike Mitchell


Author's Note

Mike Mitchell
(>>>) This means there's a page break in the middle of the line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on July 2, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell

Rockland County, NY



About
Helllooooo..... I'm Mike.... ummm..... I'm not very good at summing myself up into a quaint little paragraph, which I'm guessing should be a problem for a writer, but f**k it: I'm a sophomore in colle.. more..

Writing