The Dreamers

The Dreamers

A Chapter by Mike Mitchell

 

FADE IN:
EXT: PARKING LOT – AFTERNOON
 
Burgis and Coug are sitting on the ground, against the side of the car. It is still running. 
 
COUG
F**k, I hate the winter
 
BURGIS
Yea. I wish Creston would get his a*s here, so we didn’t have to freeze ours off.
 
COUG
And love it simultaneously
 
BURGIS
Me too.
 
COUG
I don’t think there’s such a good thing as a good season. I mean winter’s too cold. Summer’s too hot. And spring and fall - you just want them to make up their minds.
 
BURGIS
But it comes down to what would you rather?
 
COUG
What do you mean?
 
BURGIS
No one is a hundred percent happy every season. Either you sweat too much in the summer. Or you shiver too much in the winter; it rains too much in the spring; and you rake too much in the fall. Bullshit like that.
 
COUG
I guess. I think if it came down to it, though, I’d rather be in winter.
 
BURGIS
Why’s that?
 
COUG
Jackets.
 
He presents his own jacket as an example
 
BURGIS
Jackets?
 
COUG
Jackets. Jackets are the best clothing ever invented. 
 
BURGIS
You think?
 
COUG
Jackets make you warm; they keep you dry; they can make you look bigger. They create the illusion that you’re not as big as you really are. Hell, a jacket can even make you look classier. Some restaurants won’t let you in without a jacket. (>>>) 
COUG (CONT)
If it didn’t get as hot as hell during the summer, I’d wear my jacket all year round. Christmas? Easter? 4th of July? What’s Coug wearing? – F****n’ jacket.
 
BURGIS
That... is so f*****g true. I get so bummed around May 1st, and I just realized that it’s because that’s the date that you really can’t wear your jackets anymore.
 
COUG
Damn skippy.
 
BURGIS
January, February - you’re wearing a jacket, or jackets. March – same thing, but toward the end of March, snow starts to melt. Then one day you find yourself sweating in the coat, so you take it off. April rolls around and you find you’re wearing it less and less; but you’re still trying to hold on to it. Then finally May rears its ugly head, and you have to hang up that jacket in the closet for the next 4-6 months.
 
COUG
It’s almost romantic, in a way: two friends that have stuck with each other through the harshest conditions that nature has to offer them. You know that it won’t last forever, but you never address that. You stick it out, till the end. And when the end comes you don’t get emotional about, you don’t let it get the best of you. You both take it as it comes, because deep down you know that you’ll see each other again.
 
BURGIS
      (a beat)
You are such a woman.
 
COUG
      (laughing)
I really didn’t know if I could keep going like that without laughing.
 
BURGIS
It was a very nice job though. I wish I had it on video. I could show people how good of an actor you are.
 
COUG
Really? That good?
 
BURGIS
Yea, it was great. (>>>)
BURGIS (CONT)
I got welled up. I had tears in my eyes; it was awful.
      (a beat)
Speaking of jackets – we should go to Canada this summer
 
COUG
What does that have to do with jackets?
 
BURGIS
Because it’s cold in Canada.
 
COUG
Even in the summer?
 
BURGIS
You’d be surprised.
 
COUG
Why Canada? 
 
BURGIS
Have you ever been to Toronto?
 
COUG
No sir.
 
BURGIS
Toronto's the S**T.
 
COUG
Is it?
 
BURGIS
The s**t! And I've got a friend there we could crash with.
 
COUG
Oh, excellent.
 
BURGIS
Everyone goes to the beach during the summer, but I hate the beach. And you do too.
 
COUG
That I do. With a fervent f*****g passion.
 
BURGIS
I mean the only good part of the beach is the boardwalk.
 
COUG
True dat.
 
 
BURGIS
And Toronto is like a land-bound boardwalk. And it’s crazy unique; the architecture is all gothic revival. And there's an underground city.
 
COUG
      (amazed)
... UNDER. GROUND. CITY.
 
BURGIS
Yes, underground f*****g city. Toronto gets so cold in the winter that people can't go outside, so they built underground tunnels connecting all the majors buildings.
 
COUG
Underground?
 
BURGIS
Yep.
 
COUG
That's crazy awesome.
 
BURGIS
So? August: “Burgis and Coug’s Amazing Toronto Vay-kay?”
 
COUG
Why’s your name first?
 
BURGIS
Alphabetical.
 
COUG
Hmm....? Maybe. Probably the cheapest vacation option available.
 
BURGIS
Definitely. And it’ll be wicked fun.
 
COUG
But we have time to decide what we’re going to do.
 
BURGIS
If you say so. But you have to book Method Man way in advance
 
COUG
Why Method Man?
 
BURGIS
Why not Method Man? Having Method Man with us would make any trip that much better.
 
 
COUG
Only if he brought Redman, too, though.
 
BURGIS
      (a beat)
“Got blunt?”
 
COUG
“Got chronic?”
 
Both laugh.
 
BURGIS
I also know a guy who manages this dive hotel in the Toronto ghetto. It's over a strip club. 
 
COUG
Is that who we’re staying with?
 
BURGIS
No. He’s a giant, with 70 feet of black hair, beard and burliness. His name is Weigh.
 
COUG
Weigh?
 
BURGIS
Weigh.
 
COUG
As in ‘Walk this Way’? Or as in ‘I weigh 100 lbs.’?
 
BURGIS
Weigh.
 
COUG
Oh... That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. I really don't know what to say to that.
 
BURGIS
Neither do I. Also, he's carried more dead people than I've seen in my entire life.
 
COUG
WHAT?
 
BURGIS
Yea.
 
      Coug gets up and walks out of frame.
 
COUG
Keep telling the story.
 
BURGIS
Not much of a story.
 
COUG
Tell it anyway.
 
BURGIS
It’s just that a lot of residents are drug users, and OD-slash-off themselves, or just die all the time. And sometimes they die in the hall. He’s had to help cops and paramedics carry out corpses on numerous occasions.
 
Coug walks back into frame, looking confused.
 
BURGIS (CONT)
I keep telling him he should write a book...... Something wrong?
 
COUG
I just took a piss.
 
BURGIS
Excellent.
 
COUG
And the weirdest thing happened: I held myself with the wrong hand. Like instead of using the left, which would be normal, the right hand came down and was like 'No I got this.' And I’ll tell you right now, it is f*****g awkward to piss while using the opposite hand.
 
BURGIS
I usually don't think about what hand I use
 
COUG
Neither do I. But generally you would use the hand that you write with. Right?
 
BURGIS
Well when I'm writing.
 
COUG
      (laughs)
I mean that you use the hand you write with to hold yourself. Using the other hand it's like having a stranger holding it. Someone who has no idea what they're doing.
 
Burgis laughs.
 
COUG (CONT)
And I can just imagine my left hand yelling at my right hand saying.
 
He starts to use his hands as puppets.
 
COUG (CONT)
“No that's not how you do it....put the – no that’s not how you do it....I told you to not do it like that” and the right hand being like “I'm sorry (sob, sob, sob) I'm doing my best.” (left hand) "You're worthless, why don't you just leave." 
(faux sobbing)
"Cause I got no place else to go."
 
BURGIS
Speaking of hand puppets -
 
COUG
(attentive)
That’s never a disappointing segue.
 
BURGIS
I watched all of Purple Rain yesterday and it confirms my theories that Prince is the biggest d****e in the universe.
 
COUG
Why would you do that to yourself?
 
BURGIS
I don't know, Coug. I don't know.
 
COUG
I mean, I like Purple Rain, like everyone should, but I don't think I could sit through it all in one sitting.
 
BURGIS
Oh, don’t get me wrong I was thankful for the commercials. And my DVR allowed me to change channels, and watch something else, thank God. It was one sitting, but it took about 3 hours, and even that was a little too much.
 
COUG
Purple Rain should have a 45 minute intermission-
 
BURGIS
Every 15 minutes.
 
COUG
(laughing)
I was just about to say that.
 
He pauses for a second, then looks disgusted.
 
COUG (CONT)
Oh, f**k, man, that’s just wrong. I just got that hand puppet joke. That’s f*****g wrong.
 
 
BURGIS
(laughing)
I wasn’t referring to anything like that. I was addressing the fact that Prince is a very small man, and that he could probably fit in your hand. Also, he’s already in costume all the time. Prince would make the perfect hand puppet.
 
COUG
Too bad Jim’s dead. He could have done a duet on “Rainbow Connection” with Prince as the Prince doll.
 
Burgis looks at Coug astounded.
 
BURGIS
OH! MY! GOD!
 
COUG
(worried)
What?
 
BURGIS
Do you have any idea what you’ve just done?
 
COUG
What?
 
BURGIS
You’ve just simultaneously created and destroyed the single greatest idea to have been produced from a human.
 
COUG
Why thank you?
 
BURGIS
If Prince, one of the greatest musicians of all time, sang “Rainbow Connection,” one of the greatest songs of all time, they might have to stop making music forever, because nothing could top that. But if Prince sang “Rainbow Connection” as a duet with Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, the world would have to end, because nothing – nothing! - could top that. 
 
COUG
But you’d like that.
 
BURGIS
No wait, I take that back. The only way to top that would be if Steve Perry was there. But he’s not there the whole time. And it has to be just like in the movie.
 
COUG
In the swamp?
 
BURGIS
In the swamp. Prince on guitar and puppet.
 
COUG
Kermit on banjo. 
 
BURGIS
Then during the second chorus, Steve Perry rises up out of the water –
 
COUG
Completely dry.
 
BURGIS
Yes! And sings the “All of us under its spell, we know that it’s probably magic,” part. Then Prince and the Prince Puppet bust out an amazing guitar solo.
 
COUG
How would -?
 
BURGIS
I don’t know. Then for the last chorus they all sing in unison for an amalgamation of breathtaking splendor that might be the closest thing to the voice of God.
 
COUG
      (a beat)
Oh my God. I can actually hear that... It’s incredible.
 
BURGIS
This is the saddest I’ve ever been.
 
COUG
Why?
 
BURGIS
Because I know it’ll never happen.
 
FADE OUT.


© 2009 Mike Mitchell


Author's Note

Mike Mitchell
(>>>) This means that there's a page break in the middle of the line.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on July 3, 2009


Author

Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell

Rockland County, NY



About
Helllooooo..... I'm Mike.... ummm..... I'm not very good at summing myself up into a quaint little paragraph, which I'm guessing should be a problem for a writer, but f**k it: I'm a sophomore in colle.. more..

Writing