23. Surprises

23. Surprises

A Chapter by Lynaelee
"

~Sexual content warning. Single curse word~

"
Slowly, I opened my eyes as ordered. Pat had put me in the chair by the window, next to the gift table. He sat beside me with a mischievous grin on his face. He offered me the purple robe Jess had left earlier. I accepted it with a skeptical glance at him. "I think you should put this on, doll. You've got goosebumps. Humor me," he begged. I nodded and put it on, backwards. I was too tired to lean forward and put it on correctly. "Thank you. Here, let me help you." He reached over and helped me drape it over my left shoulder. I blushed and looked anywhere besides at him. A large balloon bouquet was in front of me, making it impossible to see the rest of the room. 
"Why are you acting so weird? I know that Tyler, Jess, and Noah are here; I can smell the pizza. Assuming Josh hasn't eaten it all, I would love a piece," I said as I kicked the balloons in front of me. I jumped as I realized the room was full of people, more than just the six of us. I leaned forward and grabbed the balloons and put them on the table. I met everyone's face and grinned. They all had a balloon, a small stuffed animal or a single flower in their hand. "Well, this is unexpected. You could've told me you were planning a party! I would have dressed for the occasion" I jested as I turned bright red. I shot Pat mental daggers, but based on the way Jess was dancing, she was the one responsible, so she got the 'how dare you' glare. Including the five people I expected to see, the room consisted of nine other people. Across my bed lay sixteen boxes of pizza from Pizza Hut. I grinned and pointed to each person. "Welcome everyone! It's good to see you. All of you know me and are my friends, some I even consider family. For those of you who don't know, I'll give you all a quick introduction. Tyler, Noah, and Jess brought the pizza. This is Pat. There's Josh, Joe, Max, Linda, Vanessa, Adam, Ryan, Marie, Lauren, and Renae. Thank you again for coming; this is a pleasant surprise." I met my best friend's eye and gestured to the empty seat beside me that Pat had just vacated. Renae came over to me and sat in the chair. I pulled her in for a quick hug. "Thank you for being the only normal person here," I whispered, causing her to laugh. She smiled at me as she pulled back.
"Yep, you're ill. You called me normal. Glad to be here. I ran into your family at the store. Your sister-in-law said you needed some cheering up. We figured you wouldn't like too many visitors once you got home, so we planned one big shindig," she explained kindly as she handed me a hand drawn card with rotting flesh falling off of the skulls and words that looked like they were dripping and oozing. Seriously, feel better. When you're sick, I'm all alone and people think I'm a prick. Also, life is boring without you. Hurry up and heal! I chuckled and gave her a side hug. I wouldn't expect anything less from her; she had a morbid sense of humor and I loved it. She grinned and teased, "let's face it, your brother mentioned pizza and I was like, I'm sold!"
"I'm happy you're here. It's been a long summer. I missed your face, and I love this card. It's my favorite out of all the cards I looked at," I replied, telling her the truth. I looked around at everyone. One by one, they dropped their gifts off onto my table, offered me a pathetic smile, and gave me a handshake. "Thank you for coming. Please, help yourselves to some pizza. You don't have to stick around if you feel uncomfortable."
"You first, doll. Hawaiian, pepperoni, supreme, or cheese?" Pat offered, getting a plate. I rolled my eyes. 

"Whatever. Guys, please, help yourself. I'll take whatever is leftover," I replied.
"You know, you can be difficult sometimes," Renae giggled. I just grinned. 
"Give her a slice of the Hawaiian," Noah piped up. "You heard her, guys. Dish up." At his hip he signed, "you know I love you, kid, but I can't control my lady."
"You're in big trouble, mister!" I signed at my hip with a big grin on my face. He returned the smile. Pat brought me the plate of pizza. I took it with a small smile. I looked at it with slight disgust as he turned around again. I didn't feel hungry, and I didn't think this was my best option considering how sick I had been earlier. I looked back at Renae as I put my plate on the table with all the gifts. "So how's your summer?"
"Better than yours apparently! You look horrible, but at the same time, still remarkably awesome. I'm glad to see you still smiling, although that would be the one thing people could never take from you. Mom says you're welcome to come help with the horses later. Anytime." I nodded as she stood up. The guys had turned on the tv to the sports channel and were gathering on and around the cot with their pizza. Linda and Vanessa joined me over by the window. I smiled politely at them.
"Glad to see you're okay," Vanessa said. "We've missed you at work. I've had to get my own coffee!" I chuckled.
"Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're going to have to get your own a while longer," I implied looking at my arm and leg. Vanessa squeezed my hand tenderly.
"I can manage," she replied with a sweet smile as she took a bite of her pizza.
"How are you feeling?" Linda asked with a genuine look of concern on her face.
"A little sore and stiff. Overall, fine. I'm delighted to be out of that bed!" I replied. She chuckled softly. "I'm glad to see you smiling, ma'am. I haven't seen that very often," I told her truthfully. Linda looked at me in shock, but just nodded. Lauren, Marie, Jess, and Renae had joined us and they were all gossiping. Jess was the only one of that group sitting, everyone else was propped against the wall or just standing around. I picked up the pizza off my plate and took a small bite before setting it down again, trying to pay attention to everything they were saying. I bit my lip in pain once I swallowed my food. Now that I wasn't connected to my constant morphine drip, the pain was almost overwhelming. I ignored it and looked at Lauren, "So was this the date you were talking about having today?"
She shook her head as she replied, "no this is just a late lunch. We're going out for steak dinners later. Annette, are you okay? You look ready to faint."
"I'm fine," I lied. "Just a little tired." I yawned for emphasis. Immediately, I regretted that decision as I hugged my arm to my chest and blinked back tears. "I gave my statement this morning. I've felt like the day has been spinning ever since." Jess gave me a concerned glance.
"Oh. I see. Yeah no fun," Lauren agreed. "One of the people that brought me food was in my room when I woke up. Talk about panicking."
"Wait. Wha-"
"Annette, I think you should hook back up to your machines," Jess insisted with a concerned look, distracting me from pressing Lauren for more answers. I looked over at my full bed and shook my head. 
"I'm okay. Just tired," I repeated. Now we had the attention of everyone. Noah and Tyler stood up. Noah came and kneeled in front of me and held my wrists. Tyler began to clear my bed. Pat and Josh jumped up to help.
"She doesn't have a choice. Sit the bed up. She can get more air that way," Noah insisted as he scooped me up and placed me in the bed as Tyler propped it up. "Her pulse is too fast and lips are turning blue." Quickly he began attaching my machines to me again. He looked at the machine that read my oxygen levels. "89% 'Nettie. The mask has to go back on." I nodded but stopped him from putting it on my face.
"Thank you so much everyone for coming. It really means a lot. I'm sorry that my body keeps trying to shut down and I ruined this fun little party. I was hoping to get to chat with everyone a bit longer. You're welcome to stay as long as you desire," I offered everyone. I looked at Noah and he placed the mask over my face. Pat lifted my leg and put a pillow under it.
"No. I'm sorry," Jess signed. "I didn't mean to make you feel overwhelmed. I just wanted you to know that you have people who care about you." I grinned at her as I leaned back into the pillows.
"Message received. I feel very loved," I signed back in front of my body to make sure she got the memo. She shot me a sympathetic grin. "Tell them I promise to stop by in person once I'm out of the hospital, and that I'm grateful they wanted to wish me well." She nodded.
"Good news everyone! Annette will come see you when she's out of the hospital. She appreciated you all coming. She feels very loved," Jess announced.
"And I'm buying drinks for those of you over 21! There's a bar just around the corner," Tyler insisted. "Sorry, Annette. We should have given you another day or two." I smiled at him and tilted my head towards my shoulder like I was shrugging. Together, everyone cleaned up the room and headed out the door with wishes of health and quick healing. Jess, Pat, Renae, Adam, Lauren, and Ryan stuck around. I bent my left leg and tucked it under my right knee as I sat forward.
"Call me  if you need anything. You know my home number. Anything, Net. Seriously," Renae ordered. I nodded and blinked slowly. "Sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you're okay," she stated as she gave me a side hug. "Get better okay. I'll see you around." I squeezed her hand and nodded.

I looked at Jess and signed, "tell her I may need homework assignments for the first couple weeks of school." Jess nodded and translated. Renae grinned.
"You got it. Take care. OH! I don't work Saturdays, Sundays, or Mondays until school starts. Then my schedule will be switched around. If you need anything at all, just let me know," she replied as she walked out the door. I gave her a thumb's up, but I don't know if she saw it as I turned my attention toward Adam and Lauren who approached my bed hand in hand. 
"You could've shared," Adam teased pointing to a bruise on my leg. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "We're glad you're okay, Annette. Thanks for getting us out. We were afraid they killed you. That was a nightmare, waking up here and not knowing if you were alright," he said sincerely. I blushed and looked down. I didn't have anything to do with the escape.
They turned to leave, I looked up quickly and signed to Jess, "I have to ask them a question. Can you send Pat and Ryan out to get me something to drink and snack on besides pizza?" Jess stopped them then asked Pat and Ryan first; they both agreed and she dug out some money for them. Then she turned to Adam and Lauren asking them if she could ask them a question on my behalf, stating she would leave the room if they preferred to answer it out of her presence. They both nodded. I signed and Jess translated. "This morning Trooper Sanchez said they arrested someone from the compound and that you two recognized her. They showed me her picture and I didn't see her. Was she really there?" They looked at each other before looking between Jess and I. 
"You can stay. We don't mind if you hear. You probably have questions that need to be answered too," Adam insisted, meeting Jess' eye. She gave them a half smile and stepped back. Lauren held my gaze.
"When we noticed your brother was there, Annette, we knew we couldn't implicate him on your behalf, especially when you mentioned something about them using him against you and the fact that he was just as trapped as we were. And there was no way we were turning in a pregnant lady who helped you. You said they were both prisoners too; we didn't mention any other captives. Trooper Sanchez talked to us at nine this morning while we were having breakfast in town. Mom probably would have flipped if she knew we were talking already," she stated. I blushed and looked at Jess. She smiled.
"Lauren, Annette invited your mom to listen in on her testimony this morning. She was shook up, but she took it pretty well. Annette was really good about making sure anytime you were mentioned that you helped her and seemed unharmed," Jess replied for me. Lauren looked between the two of us in shock before settling her eyes on me and smiling.
"It's the truth. Thanks," she replied sincerely. I nodded. Adam squeezed my knee tenderly.
"We were approached by someone who offered to take the fall shortly after we woke up and Janell finally left us alone," Adam continued. "She told us if we talked to the cops, say she brought us the table of food after you had a date with the tank. She wanted to go to jail."
"Neither of us wanted to mention anybody else, but she helped solidify our story. One man and one woman brought in the table. Ronnie and a girl that we think is older than us, but we're not sure by how much. Trooper Sanchez took it as fact since we called in the authorities shortly after she talked us. Fortunately, we were in the same room so we had a chance to talk about it before doing anything. I'm sure Mom had something to do with that. She said her name was Celia, or Carol, or Cindy; I don't remember," Lauren confessed.
"I thought she said it was Candy," Adam interjected and my eyes grew wide.
"What color was her hair?" I signed and Jess translated.
"Red. But it's not natural; she had some blonde roots showing. It's was almost like a rust-copperish color," Lauren admitted as she gave me a confused look. I looked back at Jess and blinked back tears.
"Lionel called her Candy in front of me. I only saw a strand of hair. He was hoping I would take her place as he humiliated her. I chose to be dunked instead of giving in," I signed. Jess gasped then looked at the other two and translated. 
"Ah. Well that makes sense now; she was begging to know if Annie was alright. Even though you always correct people when they call you that, we assumed that's you and told her that we thought you were dead. That's when she begged us to lock her up. She stayed until the cops came. That's all we know," Lauren finished. I nodded. It brought me some comfort that she wasn't still there either. 
"Thank you. From the both of us," Jess replied. "Annette, I'm going to call Noah and see what the plan is. Your oxygen levels say 92% now. You can take the mask off and talk. We'll put it back on later." I smiled at her as I took off the mask and she squeezed my foot as she left the room. Lauren squeezed my hand and leaned into Adam. 
"They used your brother against you was when they dunked you the first time, didn't they?" Adam asked softly as he covered Lauren's hand on mine. I looked up at him with tears in my eyes and nodded with a confused look.
"We were on the other side of your mirror," Lauren explained quietly.
"You were the most distraught after that one," Adam added.
"I'm sorry that you guys had to watch me fall apart," I murmured as I ducked my head in embarrassment.
"That was you falling apart?" Adam chuckled.
"Because you kept smiling. And you were working out. That couldn't have been falling apart," Lauren mused. I looked up at both of them. They were grinning. "It gave us hope for another day, and if you could work out with those bruises, we could stay strong too. I followed along, you have remarkable flexibility. You held back at basketball practice," she stated softly.
"You two are really cute together," I giggled softly, trying to get the attention off me. "I love how you guys finish each other's thoughts. Same wavelength. It really is something special. I'm happy for you both." Lauren blushed and kissed his cheek before settling her head on his chest. He tenderly kissed the top of her head.
"We're happy you're okay, Annette. We thought you were dead. We heard the gunshot, then your door was closed several minutes later. We never heard any screams or crying, but the gunshot must have been the right pitch to work it's way through the mirror. It was tortuous on us watching you leave that room and not knowing if or when you would come back. Although battered or drenched, it was still a relief to see you come back into that room. That gunshot, followed by a delayed door shut, made me think the worst though," Adam confirmed.
"Me too. After that, I sobbed until I went to sleep. Then we woke up here. It took Mom twenty minutes to explain to us that you weren't the one who was shot. We couldn't tell Carrie or whatever her name was that you were doing alright, because it wasn't a reality until we could come see you. Even when we did see you, you weren't waking up. We were still worried that you might yet die. Here you sit, with a smile. Thank you. You changed that monster's heart and mind. Because of that, that's why we're here today, and you're still alive," Lauren insisted as Pat and Ryan came back through the door. I gave them a genuine smile. They returned it. Lauren squeezed my hand. Adam leaned over and kissed my cheek. 
"I'm glad you're alive," he whispered. I gave him a curt nod and he turned to Lauren, kissing her softly on the lips. "You ready?" She nodded. They gave me another smile and left hand in hand. I met Pat and Ryan's eyes and gave them a warm smile too. Pat held all the food; Ryan's hands were buried in his pockets. Pat smiled warmly at me as I yawned and relaxed into the bed.
"Hey, doll. Lemonade, m&ms, and chips and cheese dip?" Pat asked holding up the items. I smiled at him and nodded. "Do you want them now?" I shook my head. He brought them over and placed them on the table on my right. "Are you alright, doll? You're kinda pale."
"It's my natural shade," I replied with a grin. He smirked.
"Where'd the fam go?" He asked.
"Personal call? I'm not sure. I need to know where Noah is though," I begged.
"I'll be back in less than five, doll. I'm going to find Jess and maybe Noah too. Are you okay with him?" Pat gestured to Ryan. I nodded. Pat gave us both a skeptical look and walked away.
"Thanks, Pat," I murmured.
"He doesn't like me, does he?" Ryan asked. 
"He's just protective of me. It's the military background in him. The restaurant is his home, I'm one of the cooky kids under his watch just because I work there. Worked there," I corrected. I noticed the pile of unopened cards on the table. I pointed to them. "Do you mind? I haven't read them yet." Ryan nodded and brought them over to me.
"Annie-" he began
"It's Annette." I corrected irritably, hating that name more now than ever.
"Sorry. Annette. Are you having fun here?" Ryan inquired as he traced the railing to the bed. 
"It's a hospital. They're never fun," I replied looking at him wearily. 
"I know. I was just wondering. How did you know what to do with my ribs? You said you were going to wrap them up," he pressed. I bit my lip, looked down at the pile of cards in my lap, and picked up one, but didn't answer. I couldn't tell him how I knew how to do that; I could barely face the truth myself. "Annette, is that guy with the limp your boyfriend?" I shook my head.
"I'm single and not looking."
"Why does he call you doll?"

"Pat calls any girl he talks to doll," I admitted with a sigh and started to open one of the cards in my lap.
"I'm glad you made it back. It gives me a chance to thank you." I paused in the middle of opening my card and looked up slightly, still avoiding his gaze. I just wanted him to leave me alone and not mention that place.

"I didn't do anything. I just took the beatings so you didn't have to, but your gratitude is implied. You're welcome," I said quietly.
"That's not what I meant," he said sternly as he grabbed my hand and stroked it. I looked him in the eye and instantly felt intimidated. I looked around him; the door was still shut. "Let me show you," he implied as he grabbed the back of my head with his hand and crashed his lips onto mine. I tried to push him away but I felt weak. He deepened the kiss and moved our hands to the hemline of my shorts. I tried to yank my hand out of his grasp but he held on tighter. He began to lick my lips in between each kiss. I held my breath and began to panic. His fingers slid under the fabric of my shorts. I arched my back and tears fell out of the corner of my eyes. He stuck his tongue in my mouth and I bit it. "Yeah? That's right! Oh God, baby," he murmured as his lips broke out into a smile on my lips.
"Stop!" I begged as he collided his lips into me again. His fingers played with the hemline on my underwear. I relaxed my body and prayed for it to be over quickly and silently cried. He nibbled my lip as his fingers slipped past my underwear and he began rubbing my my vulva. He stuck his tongue in my mouth again and began to scrunch my hair. With his other hand, he separated my vaginal lips and slipped one finger inside of my vaginal opening, his thumb flicked my clitoris. This motion gave me enough slack and I was finally able to release my hand from his grasp. I put it on his chest and pushed with all my might. He backed away momentarily, removing his right hand from my shorts. His left hand remained in my hair. "I said stop!" I yelled as I grabbed his right hand and pushed it off my body.  
"See, baby. I can show you lots of fun. You're nice and tight but you barely got any fun. There's no reason for you to be a prude. Let me thank you properly," he implied bringing both of our hands to the hemline of my shorts again. I pinched his hand and he withdrew it from both my grasp and my shorts.
"I had a lot of respect for you, Ryan," I expressed quietly as tears continued to fall. I looked him in the eye and gradually raised my voice. "Before last week, if you had asked me out, there was a chance -slim but a chance nonetheless- I would have said yes, but now you've squandered that chance. How tight I am, or am not, doesn't concern you. I'm happy to be considered a prude. I don't need one night stands or men who think whatever I have is theirs. I thought I could trust you. You have always been upfront and honest with me; not once have I ever felt uncomfortable to be in your presence until now. I don't want to be left in the same room as you any more or ever again. Get out!"
"Soldier boy more your style? I can offer you more than him," Ryan sneered as he released my hair and glared at me.
"My style is guys who respect me and don't cross any boundaries without permission. And right now, he respects me. So if I had to choose between the two of you, yes I would choose him. I would choose the men who kidnapped us over you! At least they were upfront with what they wanted from me and didn't beat around the bush. Now I said get out! And do not talk to me ever again," I cried and pointed towards the door with more tears streaming down my face. Ryan's fists clenched and he narrowed his gaze at me.
"You heard her. OUT," Pat instructed as he placed a hand on Ryan's shoulder. I looked at him in surprise; I didn't hear him come in.
"Whatever. Just wanted to thank you, b***h," Ryan muttered as he left. I threw all the cards towards the table pulled my leg up to my chest as I wrapped my arm around it and wept, tears falling down on my knee.
"I'd rather be called that than Annie," I whispered; knowing my intended audience had no chance of hearing that.
"Are you alright, doll?" Pat asked concerned. I shook my head. Out of the corner of my eye, I could tell he picked up all the cards and set them on the table to my left. "Can I offer you physical comfort by holding your hand or rubbing your back? Because I really want to. Comforting from a distance just isn't the same, and it seems to work better for you." I lifted my head and looked him in the eye then looked at the bed behind me. He got my meaning and sat on the edge of my bed to my left. I turned my body so I was parallel with his and leaned into him, turned my head into his the right side of his neck and wept. I continued to hold on to my left leg with my right arm. Carefully he snaked his left arm under my sling and his right arm rested on my right shoulder. 
"Why?!" I wept. "Why me?" He remained silent and started to sway. I sobbed and he just held me. "How much did you see?" 
"I came in right as he asked if I was more your style. I about bolted over here and punched him. But you had things well in hand. I'm glad you would rather choose me over someone like that, but I'll leave if you're uncomfortable," he confessed. I shook my head and leaned into him more. "Okay. I'll stick around. You deserve respect and friends you can count on. Do you trust me?" I nodded. "What about Josh?" I nodded again. "If your family isn't around and I'm not available, would you trust him to sit with you? I'm not leaving, I'm just giving you options." Again, I nodded as I sobbed. Pat tightened his arms around me as I adjusted in his arms and cried on his chest. "I'm sorry this keeps happening, doll. You don't deserve any of this. One day, I hope one guy makes you feel like you're on top of the world and treats you like you are the queen ruling his life," he spoke softly. I sobbed again. He rubbed my right arm. He began taking slow deliberate breaths. I attempted to copy him. "Do you want the mask back on?" I shook my head. "Then you need to calm down, doll." I took another deep breath, followed by four more. When I had calmed down enough, I leaned forward and looked at him over my left shoulder as I dried my eyes.
I took another deep breath and voiced quietly, "can I ask you a question? Okay well two." He gave me a quizzical glance then nodded. "I'm not complaining. I'm happy you're here. But I want to know, why does my family keep letting you comfort me? Letting you hold my hand and wrap me up in a embrace, and now this - being alone with me while I break down again. Why?" Pat smirked and lowered his eyes.
"Honestly, I don't know what their thinking was. When I left yesterday, your brother-brothers?" He questioned. I nodded. Brothers was an accurate description. "Well anyways, your brothers followed me out. They offered to buy me dinner and needed to talk. I let them. They were concerned about you freaking out and together we made a plan. You didn't seem opposed to any one of us touching you for comfort."
"You three have never given me a reason not to trust you. I feel safe with you. That's why I agreed to go camping with you, why I agreed to be your house guest. I know you guys would never allow anyone to hurt me if you could prevent it," I cried silently. He wiped the tears that were falling and opened his arms again. I willingly went into them.
"Doll, you need to trust your judgement more and not be so forgiving," he protested. I nodded. "Now at dinner last night, the bigger guy, uh Ty?" I nodded again. "Right. Ty mentioned that having you feel us breathe was probably the best bet. If all three of us were in the room, Noah had the ultimate say in who comforted you. Noah made the suggestion that in a panic situation, me and my prosthetic leg would be the best bet. Less jostling for you. Less of a chance that we would kick you or something. Worked out pretty well, didn't it, doll?" Pat asked kindly. I grinned and nodded against his neck. He softly stroked my right arm. "Then we discovered your oxygen had been tampered with, so I had to get creative. Your in-law siblings were impressed that you were able to calm down. You really do trust me don't you?" 
"A lot apparently. You have a melodious voice. I can listen to it all day," I teased. He snickered behind me.
"So I don't know why they have me comforting you, but I'll gladly do it if it means that smile remains on your face," Pat confessed.
"And what do you want in return? A kiss? A relationship?" My voice cracked and tears ran. His hand stopped moving on my arm and he was quiet for a minute.
"Doll, I just want you safe and happy. I don't expect anything from you. Never have," he admitted softly. He began rubbing my shoulder again. After a minute of silence, he softly inquired, "did you already ask your second question?" I blushed and shook my head. 
"I was just curious. You three all pick me up and carry me around like it's nothing, like I'm just a ragdoll. If you three can do it so easily, what's to say that it didn't happen when I was knocked out, and not just them picking me up? I can't recall everything. I know I missed some things," I whispered as I tried to stem the flow of tears. "Ugh! I feel like such a baby! Then again, I've probably cried more now than when I was a baby," I exclaimed as I leaned forward and dried the tears.
"Annette, look at me," Pat quietly instructed. Slowly I looked over my left shoulder, blinking back more tears. He put his hand on my face and wiped the tears with his thumb. "You are a doll. More like a glass doll than anything. Definitely not a ragdoll. You are small; even smaller than usual. You lost a lot of weight, but when you only ate three times in a week -and I'm sure the meals were smaller than the toast we had you eat- it's not a surprise as to why you lost so much weight. The reason the three of us can lift you with ease is because we trained for stuff like this. Your brother was in football, right?" I nodded and he stroked my cheek again. "It doesn't matter where they are or who the coach is or even if they were on offense or defense. Every football practice is run the same. Your brother had to figure out how to either run through guys twice his size, how to tackle bigger guys, or even just carry his team to victory. I did play football briefly, but I didn't finish high school, so I never really played varsity. My training comes from the army. During basic training, we had to drag each other to the safety zone. The quicker we got there, the better. The easiest way to do that was to throw them over our shoulders. Yeah it sucked, but because of that training, I was able to save three men in combat, and other privates were able to save me." He knocked on his fake leg with a small grin, the hollow thuds echoing in the room. I looked down at it and took several deep breaths. I was glad his training was effective and that he was able to apply it, but I was also glad he wasn't forgotten about in the field. He brought his hand back up to my cheek and I met his eyes once again. "My commanding officer got hit in the stomach with a stray bullet. He was a 300 pound man easily. Lifting you was like lifting a feather in comparison, even if I haven't lifted like that for a while. Now I'm not 100% certain on Ty's background but he must have done some training like that too. Do you trust Mrs. Malloy?" I paused, looked down, and bit my lip. He removed his hand from my cheek and I thought carefully before nodding. "Based on what Ty said, that was one of your first questions and the answer was no, you were intact. I know that offers your mind very little comfort and that you'll always be doubting it. Especially with whatever that scumbag just tried to pull. Doll, I know this is hard to believe, but you really are safe. No one is going to hurt you again," Pat promised and opened his arms again.
"This day has been the longest one in history," I confessed as I snuggled in closer to him and lowered my leg. Suddenly my stomach churned. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this. I think I could call it a night. Since I didn't hurt you when you lifted me, could you help me to the bathroom again. And this time, no surprise parties!" I spoke quickly.
"Of course, doll. I'm happy to help you out," Pat reassured me as he stood up, unplugged my machines again, gently lifted me, and carried me down into the bathroom. He set me down in front of the toilet, turned to leave, and I fell to my knees. He was immediately behind me starting to pick me up under my armpits. I tried to push him away but instead leaned over and grabbed the edge of the toilet as I threw up into the porcelain bowl. Again, he brushed my hair out of my face and held it securely at the base of my neck. "Oh, Annette. Sweet, sweet, Annette. I'm so sorry," Pat murmured. Slowly I sat up and wiped my brow then my mouth. He pulled me to my feet and flushed the toilet.
"I need to wash my hand," I insisted as I untangled myself from his arms and tried to hop over there.
"Hold on there, doll. You're going to hurt yourself. These bruises don't look very good. Doll, you shouldn't stand," Pat replied as he wrapped his arms around my waist again and gently picked me up and carried me the three steps it took to get to the sink. "Now you can wash your hand," he teased. I rolled my eyes and turned on the water and washed my hand. After I rinsed it, I took my wet hand and put it on my head, the cool water felt good on my forehead. I quickly rinsed out my mouth too then leaned into to him. "Hey, doll. You are so pale. Here." He handed me a hand towel as I turned to face him, his hands never left my hips and supported me. I dried my hand and face and looked at him with a small smile. "Come on, doll. Back to bed." I nodded as he scooped me up in his arms. I wrapped my arm around his neck and rested my head on his shoulder yet again.
"I told you, I'm terrible company," I said weakly.
"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else," he whispered as he set me in bed, covered me with the blanket, and reattached my IV. "Can I brush your hair, doll?" I looked at him and nodded. He grabbed the brush and began to do my hair. "Growing up, I used to do this for my mom. She said it was the most comforting things in the world. I don't know if it's true for everyone, but you look like you need some form of comfort; one that doesn't require any touching," he rattled. I just grinned. 
"Yeah, having someone play with my hair is really comforting. Plus, I haven't been able to brush my hair in a while. It's probably really ratty," I reasoned. He chuckled.
"Actually, it's soft. Ponytail?" Pat replied. I nodded and he gathered my hair on the top of my head. He grabbed my hand and I jumped in surprise. "Sorry, doll. I was just reaching for the ponytail on your wrist. Guess I should have mentioned that." I released my breath and let him take it off and put it in my hair. "There. Done. It's not as good as yours, but it'll work. Here take a sip." He offered me my water. After I sipped and pushed it away, he put it down then sat down in the seat beside me as Jess walked back in the room with more bags on her arms.
"Hey, you two! Exciting day?" Jess asked. Pat and I giggled. "Pat, do you mind sticking around a while later? I was hoping we could play a game with Annette. Do you prefer monopoly, trouble, or sorry?"
"Actually, I think she's earned a nap. I'll stick around if you want," Pat replied looking at me. I smiled at him.
"That wouldn't make me a very good hostess," I joked. 
"No one asked you to be a hostess, doll. We sprung a party on you and you look ready to collapse. It's okay, you can sleep as much as you want," he murmured as he studied me. I gave him a small smile and looked back at Jess.
"I promise, I'll play games later with you. No monopoly; I've never been a fan of that game though. Thanks." I looked at Pat and sincerely voiced, "I appreciate you being here. Thank you for taking care of me on this horrendous day. I'd hate to take up any more of your time. Surely you have better things to do." 
"I already told you, doll, you won't be stealing my time and I love to help out. It has been a horrendous day for you, but I'm glad you didn't have to face it alone," he murmured with a smile. I held his gaze as I tried to come up with a good response, pursed my lips, and looked at Jess again.
"I really do just want to sleep. I'm so sorry."
"That's fine, sweetie. Noah will join us for dinner. He didn't like being around that many people and the moment you lost your color, he felt guilty again. He needs a minute," Jess replied opening up her bag of goodies. I smiled sleepily. Pat stood up and adjusted the pillows behind my back as he helped my lay back.
"I don't have anything to do. Would you like me to stay?" Pat asked, looking me in the eye as he gently stroked my cheek. I grabbed his fingers and leaned into his hand. I closed my eyes for a minute then nodded.
"Jess may need someone to talk to. Thank you," I replied. I rubbed his fingers before I let go. I liked having him near, but I hated taking his time. I knew he said I wasn't stealing his time and I knew that his giving heart would always put him where he was needed most; I just didn't want the place he was needed to be beside me - it wasn't fair to him.
"Any time, doll. Any time," he whispered. "I'm going to hold your hand until you fall asleep. You're tense and you seem to relax easier if someone you trust is touching you," he stated. I nodded as he grabbed my hand and stroked it soothingly, lulling me to sleep.


© 2017 Lynaelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
Added on November 23, 2016
Last Updated on July 23, 2017

If only


Author

Lynaelee
Lynaelee

About
Sometimes I feel like I need an outlet to express myself. I have never been good with verbal communication, but I have always found an out in writing. I hurt. I bleed. I make mistakes. I cry. Yes,.. more..

Writing
If only If only

A Book by Lynaelee


1. *Prologue* 1. *Prologue*

A Chapter by Lynaelee