5

5

A Chapter by Caritatis

5

Gamzee stopped his car in front of Keevan’s house. Keevan gave him one last hug before exiting his car and watching as he drove away.

Once he was out of sight, she yawned and walked to her front door.

“I’m home,” Keevan called once she went inside. She walked down the front hall and turned into the living room. Her mother was laying on the couch reading on her Kindle while her stepfather was watching a college hockey game in his recliner.

“How was work?” her mother asked, not looking up from what she was reading.

“Boring,” Keevan said. “I had to close up tonight.”

“How was Gam’s show?” her step father asked.

“Great as always,” Keevan said, smiling. “He and the whole band sang Happy Birthday to me.”

“Gamzee’s too nice,” her mother said, sitting up and turning off her Kindle. “Where is he?”

“He dropped me off and said he was going to try to work things out with his parents again. But he also said not to be surprised if he’s crashed on our couch when we get up tomorrow.”

“He’s eighteen,” her step father said, turning the TV off. “Gamzee should be off at college, or at least get a job and his own home.”

“He can’t do that right now, dad,” Keevan said, her smile faltering. “Not until his music career takes off.”

“Who says it will?”

“Simon,” her mother said sternly, giving him the glare. She looked at Keevan and said, “Why don’t you go get ready for bed? You’re working tomorrow, aren’t you?”

“Yep, and I’ve already discussed a plan with Mr. Hussie,” Keevan said. “Everything’s taken care of.” She hugged her mother goodnight, and then hugged her stepfather. Her parents then went back to whatever they were doing before and Keevan headed upstairs. It was eight o’clock, which meant it was time to Skype with Amantis.

Keevan walked into her bedroom and closed the door behind her, flicking on her light. She walked to her desk and sat down, opening her laptop and logging on to Skype. Amantis was already online. She called him and waited for his face to appear on her screen.

Instead, it was just a shot of his bedroom.

“Amantis,” Keevan said. “Where are you?” A cat walked across his computer keyboard.

“Captain Cuddles, how many times have I told you not to walk on my computer?!” Amantis whined on the other end of the call. He walked past the screen and picked up the cat, setting him on the floor. He sat in front of his computer and smiled at Keevan. “Happy birthday!”

“Thanks, Mantis,” Keevan said, smiling at him. “How was your day?”

“Not so great,” he said quietly. “Van was, um, spreading rumors again.”

Vanus was Amantis’s boyfriend. He was a jerk. He was abusive. But Amantis couldn’t stand up to him.

“Amantis, dump him,” Keevan said, leaning on her elbow.

“You dump Jack!” Amantis shot back. He quickly covered his mouth with his hand and said quietly, “I’m sorry, Kee. I didn’t mean that.”

“I know you didn’t,” Keevan said, ignoring it. “Um, what else do you want to talk about before things get awkward?”

“You’re getting your present tomorrow!” Amantis squealed, instantly happy again. “When you get home from work I’ll be there with your gift!”

“I can’t wait!” Keevan said, smiling at his enthusiasm. “Wanna see what I got so far?”

“Yes!”

“This scarf and some knitting stuff from mom,” Keevan said, taking off the scarf and holding it in front of the webcam. She set it down on her keyboard and continued, “This locket from Simon, and"”

“That ring?” Amantis asked, leaning forward.

“It’s a promise ring from Jack,” Keevan said, taking it off and holding it in front of the webcam.

“Unacceptable!” Amantis shouted. “Kee, why? He’s a…a d****e!”

“Amantis, I know I can change him,” Keevan said. “Please keep your voice down; it’s crackling in the mic.” Amantis took deep breaths and took his glasses off, running a hand through his curly brown hair.

“Keevan,” he said. “Jack isn’t good to you. You can do so much better.”

You’re one to talk, Keevan thought. She had to stop herself from saying it aloud. “I can change him, Amantis. He’ll come around, soon enough.”

“It’s been months,” Amantis said, rubbing his eyes. “I really don’t think"”

A loud knock came on Amantis’s door. His grandmother was saying that he had five more minutes to talk, and then he had to get ready for bed. Keevan chuckled.

Amantis blushed and said, “So, anything else interesting happen today?”

“Oh, yeah,” Keevan said, suddenly remembering it. “I almost got jumped by an orphan.”

“What?!”

“It’s not as bad as I made it sound, I promise,” Keevan said quickly. “He lured me into an alley when I was walking to Gam’s show, and he had a knife at my throat and was asking for my money, and I said he was better than that and got away, and I started running, but I fell. I looked at him and…he looked so pitiful. And he was just standing there doing nothing. I asked him his name, and I remembered he used to go to my high school. Then he ran away.”

“Keevan, why didn’t you call the police?!”

“Because…” Keevan thought about it. “Because he learned from his mistake.”

“That makes no sense, Kee.” Amantis was about to continue, when his grandmother pounded on the door again and said time was up, even though it clearly hadn’t been five minutes.

Amantis sighed and said goodnight.

“Goodnight, Amantis, love you, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Keevan said, waving goodbye. The call disconnected.


© 2012 Caritatis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on August 6, 2012
Last Updated on August 7, 2012
Tags: humanstuck, homestuck, fanfiction, AU, fantrolls, fiction, romance, drama, angst


Author

Caritatis
Caritatis

LOOAS



About
I write. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Caritatis


2 2

A Chapter by Caritatis


3 3

A Chapter by Caritatis