A race against time

A race against time

A Chapter by Missy
"

Jesse races against time to save the love of his life from his family and a horde of vampires.

"

Hospital-

            “Oh, no Drake killed her. He really killed her.” Sara said looking distraught. “I can’t believe Ashley’s dead. I thought she was one of the main characters.”

            “Are you okay?” Daniel asked lying the journal down. “Do you want me to stop?”

            “No, don’t stop. I need to know what happens to Amber.”

            Daniel cracked a smile and picked the journal up. “Okay let’s see here. It’s not her….”

 

Journal-

            I felt my heart slow as if someone yanked the breath out of my lungs. Max had grabbed a hold of my hand and squeezed tightly. I glanced at him giving him a light smile before turning back to our mother and father. They continued grasping each other; I figured they were just trying to comfort themselves.

            Max let go of me and ran to our mom. She let go of our father and held onto Max. This time her eyes happened to narrow in on me still frozen at my position on the stairs. Mom looked away and walked away from Max to the opposite side of the room. Father looked to see what upset her and stared at me. He held my gaze for a moment before turning away as mother did. Instead of running off to the corner he punched the wall a few times before the police stopped him.

            I had had enough I could no longer watch my parents suffer. I could not parade myself in front of them reminding them every second of their loss. I ran back upstairs into my room and shut the door. I wanted to scream, to cry, to kick, anything I could to feel the pain they felt. The thoughts didn’t work I felt as though my chest remained tightly wound. I struggled for the air to return to me, but it was no use. I willed for my tears to fall from my eyes and yet they remained dry.

            “Ashley,” I said rising from my bed. “Ashley,” I repeated as I went and stood in front of the door length mirror on the closet.

            I stared at my reflection for what felt like hours. I just got so dizzy and felt myself stumble back toward the bed. Gravity propelled me backwards as the world felt like it was being spun rapidly. I still could barely breathe it seemed and my vision started to get cloudy. I decided to shut my eyes for just a moment that way it would all stop, and it did.

           

            Jesse was surprised by how hard he took hearing about Ashley’s death. He had come back to the cabin to make sure that no one had gotten there first. He had to protect Amber. He hid in his spot just listening to the conversations and the pain going on inside. He leaned up against the tree bark and let himself slowly slide down until he met the ground. Poor Ashley, he thought, she had everything in life to live for. The world was at her fingertips, but now it was all over. He remembered there many conversations and her talks of wanting to become a journalist. None of it was going to happen now and it all started out like a game. He played with her mind and emotions without a second thought. He never wished her dead, he would never wish that. Yet, he felt the worse pain over him now and the cause was her.

            Drinking Amber’s blood had done something to him that he couldn’t explain. Now, she continually clouded his judgment. He felt forever attached to her and somehow she was to him. He could sense her struggle as she tried to cope alone after the news. It was all very depressing sitting there hearing all their cries. Was he the cause? Did he do this? Was he sorry for his involvement in it? The truth is as he thought the only thing he cared about was her. He was the cause and though he didn’t do it he was directly involved and he was sorry, but for her sake only. At the thought he tried to listen to her, but she was silent too silent. He quickly got up and ran to the cabin and flew into her room knocking the sheet covering the window down. He wasn’t seen because the cops were still inside the house. He stopped himself as he approached her.

            To him it seemed like everything else in the room in this house was obsolete except for her. She gripped a stuffed tiger in her arms as she tossed and turned on the bed. He walked over to her swiftly, silently, and gently sat on the edge of the bed. He could hear her shallow moaning as he saw the edges of her eyes grow moist. The beginnings of tears were forming.

            “Ashley,” she said softly as her body shivered.

            He grabbed covers off of Ashley’s bed and gently laid it over her. “I’m sorry.” He whispered rubbing a few strands of her dark brown hair out of her face. He got up and walked towards the window. “I’m sorry,” he said again fleeing the cabin. Her blood had affected him in the worst way. He could feel her, in the worst possible way. Great, he thought even though he wasn’t sure if he were being sarcastic or truthful.

            He let the thought pass him by for the moment. He felt her pain and it was too much for him to hear. He knew his only relief would be to confront his father and brother and once again give a last ditch effort to save the lives of her remaining family members. He quit walking along and used his speed to get to his family’s home. He only hoped he would be able to persuade them from their quest. He knew it would be hard considering there would be three fresh blood souls ready for draining. The occasional robbing of blood banks kept most of the vampires satisfied. Wet, warm, pulsating blood dripping from a human, nothing could beat that. If his father had his way her family would die slowly over the span of several weeks. The vampires would drain them partially and keep them alive longer to drain and stocks up blood, then drain them at least a few more times. Normally he would care less if it were any other soul, but hers he could never allow that to happen to.

            “Mother,” he said after arriving to the mansion. There were no vampires around outside or any frolicking in the halls. He knew now that it wasn’t unusual especially since tonight was going to be a hunt.

            “Darling,” his mother said. She had her blond hair pulled in its usual style of a bun. The unusual part was her black pants suit. He knew from experience that his mother wore black when they went out hunting. She gave him a mini hug and a peck on cheek.

            “Can you tell me where to find Victor?” he said his father’s name on the end because he couldn’t bear calling him by another name.

            “Jesse, he is your father and he has made the CORRECT decision.” She said her smile fading as she stared at him.

            Jesse couldn’t decide if it was the pushover in her or the bloodlust interfering with her moral thoughts. Morality, he thought, the souls world would be shocked to know vampires held such a notion. Sure, there was a time he could remember when vampires did not. Years have passed and beliefs changed as the tides did. Vampires had to adapt to survive. Plus it is true what they say; eternity alone is not all it’s cracked up to be. Vampires started associating with outsiders, the souls, for comfort. The more Jesse thought the more he realized that is how he ended up in this mess and that is why he was here. He had completely left his mother’s side while he was thinking. Somehow, he wound up in his own bedroom.

            His room was a shocking site for him to be in. It wasn’t that someone had rearranged his furniture or even taken one of his possessions. It was the idea of being there in his room. He never slept there he felt a bit wrong to do so. The family that lived in this house before his family came along were dined on then killed by his family. Their deaths were not recent it happened over a hundred years ago, their bones buried under these grounds. It still made him uneasy to stay in this room even as he walked over and sat on the bed.

            Usually they didn’t stay in the homes of their victims, but his mother fell in love with this house. This house was never going to be home just as Amber would never be the same again. He rocked back and forth thinking of what to do. He was tired, dead tired, and he knew he was in a situation he couldn’t control. He could fight Victor, his father, but he knew he couldn’t beat all of them. They would all be too fast for him to stop. A picture flashed in his mind of Drake drinking Amber’s blood. Her body could barely hold itself up; her eyelids fluttering then Drake turned to him and laughed.

            His eyes snapped open he couldn’t believe what had happened. He was already downstairs before he realized he was still home. Then he realized that his home was quiet and darkness had fallen. Oh no, he thought, racing out of the house. He only hoped that he would get to the cabin before them. It was daylight when he had gone home, he must’ve fallen asleep. He hated himself for acknowledging the human reaction to exhaustion.

            Jesse was surprised and a bit relieved when he found out he arrived to the family cabin first. He went up to her room through the window as he had always done. At first he thought he was mistaken and his family had arrived and taken them. Then he heard footsteps from downstairs. He went quickly hoping he’d find her there and there she was. Her back was to him as she looked in the fridge. She was wearing dark blue sweats and an oversized white tee shirt that didn’t necessarily flatter her appearance. Her long hair was in a ponytail bouncing as she swayed from shelf to shelf. He almost didn’t want to disturb her since being near her was enough. Then he heard twigs cracking and leaves whistling from the distance. Jesse was running out of time he had to act fast. He appeared in front of her and they held each other’s gaze. Then she went to hit him, but he had anticipated the move before it happened. There was no time for him to explain and he was sure she wouldn’t listen to anything he had to say.

            He quickly grabbed her and went for the door. He heard them coming from the West and North sides of the woods, so he went south. They were coming too fast and if he continued his pace they would know that he was there. He stopped and laid her down then used his weight to hold her in place while he gripped her arms toward with one hand and used the other to cover her mouth. They were almost here now he could start to see them appear as they got towards the opening of the woods. She was mumbling something so he released his hand hoping she wouldn’t scream and alert the others. She didn’t, she only asked or begged rather for him not to kill her.

            He looked at her, this beautiful soul who lay before him. He didn’t think he could even kill her if he tried to. There was something about this girl that was different from all the rest. Her heart was pure and kind. Then there was something more at work that he couldn’t quite figure out. Amber was no ordinary young girl she was way more special than that.



© 2012 Missy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on August 29, 2012
Last Updated on August 29, 2012
Tags: vampires, blood, family, death


Author

Missy
Missy

Lansing, MI



About
I want to be a writer. I write all day, everyday in case I'm working. more..

Writing
Ch. 1 Pretenses Ch. 1 Pretenses

A Chapter by Missy


A tortured soul A tortured soul

A Chapter by Missy