Changes in Sexism...

Changes in Sexism...

A Chapter by Deepshikha
"

Interesting, you might call it.

"

As we half ran to old lady Narkar's, I asked Aron why he was going to Narkar's at all. I mean she was an old lady with 13 cats and no kids. She wouldn't even glance at a girl who wasn't in a skirt (there aren't many who wear pants.), and she always kept her head covered and made other girls do the same. But she loved the others. And by the others, I mean the guys. She loved them and would randomly call boys from the street to have tea or give free gifts to them. And if you were a girl and came with a guy that she liked, well, your boundaries were endless.

So why are you going to Narkar's again?” I asked again.

Jaya, I told you before. Weren't you listening?”

No, not really.”

Jaya, Jaya, Jaya,” he said impatiently, “You think too much.”

I do?”

Yep. You always have this look on your face that says 'I'm a thinker at work.'”

Really?” I asked as my eyes went wide.

And you look very cute when you're bewildered.”

Oh stop.” I said as I smacked him on the shoulder.

Like I told you before, I have to pick something up from Ms. Narkar.”

Well, what is it?”
“I don't know. My mom, well my dad, had it ordered from her husband's shop in the neighboring village.”

Oh.”

We continued running and soon we got to Narkar's cottage. It was pretty big by our village standards and though it was painted a light yellow, the color wasn't welcoming at all; it was a very repulsive color. Like the color of thrown up porridge.

I shuddered.

Hey, are you okay?” Aron asked me gently.

Yeah, I'm okay.” I replied, “But don't you think it's gotten colder?”

Colder? Jaya, what are you talking about?”

I don't know, maybe it's just me.”

I hope not.”

When we rang the door bell, it sounded like more like a funeral march.

Don't forget to cover your head.” whispered Aron as the door was opened.

I quickly covered my head with my white silk scarf that was around my neck and we stepped into the dark, gloomy cottage of Araba Narkar.

It's like House of the Dead in here.” Aron whispered.

You do realize that that sexist book was written by Aban? Ay-kay-ay Ms. Narkar?” I hissed back.

Sit here,” the doorman said in a gruff voice, “And don't touch anything! Lady Narkar will be with you shortly.”

He pointed to some black couches and we sat on the one closest to us.

Lady Narkar?” I whispered softly laughing.

Wow, even the windows are covered.” Aron noticed.

Yeah? I've had the misfortune to get on Narkar's bad side.” I said. “Just because I was wearing pants rolled up past my knees. Not fun.”

Hello children.” said a shrill voice. We looked up to see a young sharp faced Araba Narkar coming down the steps in a tight fitting cocktail dress glaring at me and Aron with her black cat-like eyes.



© 2008 Deepshikha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

that lady's creepy.....

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Deepshikha
Deepshikha

Where Time Passes, PA



About
This is archive for the poetry I've written, spanning back from when I first started writing in 2007. I mostly write fiction now and don't post it on here. Enjoy if you'd like. I'm Deepshikha. .. more..

Writing
stagnant stagnant

A Poem by Deepshikha