Tottering Edges

Tottering Edges

A Chapter by Deepshikha
"

Sigh...If the reason why I sigh intrigues you, please feel free to ask.

"

Yan Ayan?” I asked. “But how? My mom is at home in her garden.”

Yes. I am your mother. 'Tis true.”

Jaya,” said Aron from behind me. “She's lying. This is all a trick. An illusion!”

I wish.” the lady said. “I am Queen Ka'ray, and you are Princess A'marna J'aya. You are Alva, as is he- I'an A'ron.”

You mean, he,” I pointed behind me. “Is Alvan too?”

Yes.”

Uh, Queen,” said Aron, “Do you mean that I belong in this world too?”

Yes,” my 'mom' laughed, “Why then do you think that you have suddenly started liking J'aya?”

I-I don't know.”

'Tis the magic of Alva and you two were meant for each other, and Araba Narkar knows it very well.”

Araba Narkar?” Aron and me said at the same time. “What's she got to do with this?”

'Tis a lon-” started 'mom' but was cut off by a knock on the door. “You must get out of here!” she hissed. “Take powder and sprinkle it on your selves and you shall find yourselves in the place you came from.”

But-” I started.

Go!” she hissed.

Aron grabbed the bottle and sprinkled it on us and with mists swirling around us we found ourselves back in Araba's office.

What just happened here?” Aron slowly asked.

I have no idea. But what was that about Araba Narkar?”

I-”

Aron was cut off by Araba who hastily said, “What about me? Never mind, here's your order, young man and Jave will show you out. Oh Jave!”

Jave came and led us out of the disgusting cave of Araba Narkar and outside into the dark night.

I never knew how nice it feels out here.” I said.

Jaya we need to talk.” Aron grabbed my hand and led me to my own house.

But-”

Before you ask anything, you need to answer my questions.”

Aron led me to my house, opened my door, led me to my own room and told me to take a seat on my own bed.

This is my house you know.” I said when he had finally forced me to sit on my bed.

Jaya, I don't care. I want to know what happened to you at Narkar's.”

What?”

Yes. What the hell happened to you at Narkar's today? First you tell me to pretend like we've been making out, the you start chanting in that language, you run into that door, you go into an unknown land, and this lady says that she's your mother and I'm Alvan. Is this some kind of a joke? Tell me Jaya. Tell me!”

I-I don't know Ar.”

I think you do know.”

I don't. What am I supposed to tell you, that when this all happened it was like someone else was controlling me? That someone, up there, wanted to keep me safe? Maybe it was Lady Ra'bel who kept us safe from the new Araba Narkar by going through me!”

Lady Ra'bel I can understand. But the chanting? The Song? The lady, 'yan Ayan'?”

I don't know where the chanting came from! It felt like it came from within me, somewhere that I've forgotten about! The Song? I have no possible idea! Maybe, just maybe, this was all supposed to happen! Maybe the Ladies know something that we need to find out. Maybe that lady truly is my mother. Maybe,” I was suddenly struck with an idea. “We should ask my mom.”

What? Why?”

Our parents always are keeping something from us. And maybe she knows something! Maybe your mom knows something!”

You have a point there Jaya. I'm sorry about all the questions. I just needed to know.”

I understand Aron. I understand.”

So tomorrow, I'm going to bring my mom here. Alright?”

No. We both bring our moms to the marketplace and then we head to the Royal Garden.”

That is a much better plan.”

I know. Aron, it's getting late. You'd better head home. Your mom must be worried.”

But will you be okay?”

I sighed and said, “Someone once told me that I think too much. And I think that I'll be just fine.” I led him to my door and out into the cool night.

Jaya,” he said and he gabbed me and gave me a big hug.

Good night.” I said firmly.

'Night.” he said as he waked toward his house. “And mar deki yan.” he added gazing lovingly back at me.

The next day at breakfast I asked my mom if she was going to the marketplace.

Yes Jay, but why?”

Oh, I don't know, maybe we could spend some time together in the Royal Garden later?”

Jaya, you do realize what you're doing, right?” said my brother Haron.

What's wrong with spending some quality time with your own mother?” Karan snapped back.

Kar, are you mental?” Yenan asked him.

Yen, the true question is, are you mental?” asked Jeren.

If they kept this up, I thought, soon all 8 of my brothers would be at it. Starting with Haron, the youngest, then Yenan, Eran, Sakan, Amar, Jeren, Karan, and then finally Jakal would shut them up. And if dad were here, he'd come right in place after Jakal. I missed dad. He was a cargo merchant that worked for the Royal People Trading Co. and was barely ever home. Just as I was thinking that I heard a knock on the door.

Shut up H-Y-E-A-S-J-K-J!” I yelled. “Mom there's someone at the door.”

Then go answer it Jay.”

It's probably Aron.” yelled Jeren over everyone “I'll go get it Jay.”

You will sit right here Jeren and finish your breakfast.” said mom. “Jaya go, we don't want to keep them waiting.”

I stuffed the last piece of bread in my mouth and went to the front door. But to my surprise it wasn't Aron when I opened it. It was...



© 2008 Deepshikha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh i know the answer to that qeustion......

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Deepshikha
Deepshikha

Where Time Passes, PA



About
This is archive for the poetry I've written, spanning back from when I first started writing in 2007. I mostly write fiction now and don't post it on here. Enjoy if you'd like. I'm Deepshikha. .. more..

Writing
stagnant stagnant

A Poem by Deepshikha