Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Dusk Twilight

   Mrs. Jerik talks about a few things and then turns it over to Hannah. Hannah asks everyone to go outside. I grab Jordan's elbow and follow him out.

   The door creaks as someone opens it and then the sun's rays hit me and almost immediately I begin sweating. It was always hot on band practice days. "Melody, we're going to be doing sets today. Do you remember where you go? You can always ask me to help you." He says reassuringly.

   I nod, "Thanks, but I think I got it. After a while though I may ask for your help." I smile.

   "Okay," he says and takes me to set one. I get on my one knee and then repositioning myself so I'm facing back field.

   "Thanks!" I say and realize he's already at his set when I don't get a reply. I smirk when Mrs. Jerik yells, "Field commanders, is your band ready?"

   There is no sound on the field and I take it the field commanders are doing the little dance motions they do to let the announcers know we are ready.

   "The Benhide Band of Orange may now take the field for exhibition," Mrs. Jerik yells louder and I hear Hannah bound past me. Kaitlin must be the front field commander.

   "One, two, one, two, ready go...'' Kaitlin says just loud enough for the band to hear her but no one else. Right after the low brass and French horns begin their part for six counts. Then I remember a quarter rest and then the clarinet part. I put my fingers in the fingerings and then stand up, getting off my knee on count ten.

   Elizabeth, the co-section clarinet leader counts out loud while Jordan yells where to go in my sets. "Go left and forward as a steep diagonal," he says for me.

   When Elizabeth gets to count twelve I get on my toes and turn for two counts. "Forward and right two normal steps, try to march with consistent steps there for eight counts."

   I nod and take small steps forward. On count twelve I remember I go to the right into a line. I hoped I was in the right spot.

   "Six steps forward, Mel."

   "One, two, three, four, five, six..." Elizabeth counts on. On count seven I bring my right foot forwards and lunge into it. On count eleven I go back to marking time and on thirteen I prep to march.

   Jordan continues to tell me my sets, while Elizabeth counts. When we get finished I snap to attention and then Mrs. Jerik dismisses us.

   Soon after dismissing Jo exclaims, "Melly! That was fantastic. Did Jordan telling you your sets help?" He asks.

   "Yes," I say, "It helped very much."

   I smile and then Jordan says from behind Jo, "Okay, I'll do that for practice, but you'll have to memorize them before the first football game which is in two weeks."

   Two weeks?! I think, I have to learn half a million sets in two weeks?!

   "Two weeks?" I ask digging in my ear as if I'd heard him wrong. "Did I get that right?"

   "Unfortunately, yes... You missed the practices I had dedicated to practicing with you... If you had came to those practice you might have had them almost memorized by now." He grabs my wrist and begins leading me to the band room. "It's fine, though. I understand you were recovering from brain surgery."

   Once inside, Mrs. Jerik starts talking. "That was really good! Especially for some of you who can't see and missed four practices. Remember if one person fails, we all fail." I blush and she continues. "Our first show is in Alabama and then competitions start the day after that.

   "As you all should know, we almost always place in competitions and I will be very disappointed if  we don't place in this one. As long as you try your best though, I will be happy."

   The room gets quiet and then Mrs. Jerik yells, "Dismissed!"

   The band room becomes an immense of huffing and puffing, yelling and screaming, and a series of calling out names.

   I yawn and rush outside. I stop when I feel the heat of the summer. Sitting down Harmony sits beside me and talks about stuff that happened to her that day. I don't pay her much attention and after she tells me about the loss of her swag she tells me that my mom is here. Then she guides me to the car.

    When we get home I can't help but think, I only have two weeks... That's not enough time to learn all the sets! I hardly could remember the sets when I could see! Now I'm expecting to memorize them blind? That's impossible! I can't do it. I repeat the last sentence over and over again in my mind and then run to my room.

   I throw off my clothes and put the pajamas I had on the bed on. Slinging the covers over my head, I quickly drift to sleep with little self confidence.



© 2015 Dusk Twilight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on January 18, 2015
Last Updated on January 18, 2015


Author

Dusk Twilight
Dusk Twilight

Kansas City, MO



About
Hello there. Somehow you are here, looking at my profile. I have no idea why... Anyway, welcome! I'm Dusk Twilight but call me Dusk. I'm a person who lives in their imagination and slowly gets deeper.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dusk Twilight


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Dusk Twilight


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Dusk Twilight