Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by mamachansensei

Cressian Dreams
The Cressian Games
Chapter 1

    Katelyn stepped through the large round portal from the ship to the space station.  She focused on the automatic teller. Bumping through the noisy crowded terminal, she walked directly to it.  
    “When is the last flight that I can take and still make it to the planet Cressia in time to register for the games?” She searched through pockets for a money card.
    “The 1500 Universal Time Flight will get you to Cressia two hours before the close of registration,”  said a pleasant female voice.
    Katelyn counted on her fingers, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, that’s three o’clock. “I’d like a one-way for Cressia at 1500.”
    “Place your thumb in the tray and insert your card,” the machine said.
    Katelyn pressed her thumb into the print pad and pushed her money card into the slot.  From the bottom of the machine she picked up her ticket and the money card.
    Eleven-year-old Katelyn made a face at her reflection in the teller machine.  She didn’t like her unruly red curls or the freckles that covered her nose.
    She tossed the now empty money card into the wall incinerator chute beside the teller machine.  Katelyn ran her hand along the tiled wall looking into all of the shop windows along the space station’s promenade.
    There it is, the police station. Katelyn took a deep breath, “Don’t get scared now.”  She knocked timidly on the door of Constable Byron’s office.
    “Enter.” The plastiglass doors slid open to admit Katelyn and she entered the room.  “Are you Constable Byron?”
    “Sh-h-h, one moment please,” He was flipping switches, pressing buttons and viewing several screens.  On the screens were things that were happening in different areas of the space station.  The constable was a large man.  He wore long red hair in a ponytail.  His hazel eyes seemed soft with kindness.  Katelyn liked him and wished she didn’t have to lie to him.
    “I’m Constable Byron, may I help you?”
    Katelyn jumped.  “Um,” she squeaked.  She cleared her throat and tried again.  “I’m Kate Williams.  I came to compete in the Cressian Games.  My father’s name is Artimas Williams.”  Constable Byron seemed to recognize the name which gave Katelyn the courage to continue.  “I -I can’t find my father and he told me that, if I ever got in trouble, you were the person to come to.”
    “Aye, and he would know,”  
    Katelyn pretended she didn’t understand the comment, but inside she was laughing.
    “Do you know where your father might be?”
    Katelyn shrugged, “In one of the bars, perhaps?  I’m not old enough to go in and look for him.”
    The constable smiled.“Where are you staying?  I’ll bring him to you when we find him,”
    “I’m not, I’m taking the 1500 to Cressia.”
    “Kate, you won’t be able to enter the games without an adult.”
    “Then I will wait at registration for you,”
    Constable Byron pitied the girl as he watched her leave his office.  He felt sure the only reason she was entering the games and the Cressian military was to escape her home life.  He felt frustrated that the girl had put such a demand on him.  If he didn’t find her father, who could be very illusive, would he be ruining her life? He pushed a button, “Greeko,”
“Greeko here.”
    “Put out an all points bulletin on an Artimas Williams.”  Constable Byrons fingers flew across his computer keyboard. “A picture of him should be on your screen.”
    “Yes, it is,” Greeko answered. “Is there a specific area to begin searching for him?”
    “The man’s a drunk, check all the bars and private parties that have applied for an alcohol license.”

    Katelyn sat among a row of comfortable chairs in the terminal.  She watched a small boy crawl under the chairs, then climb into the seat, then over the back of the seat.  She wondered how she would get into the games without an adult .  As time passed and people came and went and 1500 hours was soon approaching, she became more convinced that it couldn’t be done.  Constable Byron sat in a chair next to Katelyn.
    “We are still unable to find your father,” he said. “Is Artimas still the drinker he was when we worked together?”
    “I don’t know how he was when you knew each other, but, yes, he does drink a lot,”  she answered.
    “He could be here a week before he missed you.” The constable spoke more to himself than to her.
    “Yeah,” Katelyn said, “The sight of me is pretty painful since mother was killed.”
Byron coughed. “May I see your papers?”
    She dug them out of her bag and hesitantly, handed them to him.  He looked them over and gave them back. “Everything is signed and seems to be in order.  I will accompany you to the planet Cressia.”
    “You will?” she squealed, “Yes! Yes! Yes!” and then softly, “Thank you.”
    Constable Byron smiled, “Wait here while I buy a ticket and call my wife.”     



© 2011 mamachansensei


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol yeya!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wohoo! he's gonna take her and be the adult! yeya.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 28, 2011
Last Updated on November 10, 2011


Author

mamachansensei
mamachansensei

Cressia, IA



About
i love to write. more..

Writing
chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by mamachansensei