chapter 2

chapter 2

A Chapter by mamachansensei

Chapter 2

    The 1500 docked with a rattling thunk on schedule.  Katelyn and the Constable entered the spacecraft   
    “Can I have the isle seat?” Katelyn asked.
    Constable Byron nodded and sat in the window seat. Katelyn liked to watch people.  
    A tall woman walked on board. Her long dark hair flowed down her back.  Behind her a boy followed carrying the luggage.  The boy struggled to lift the heavy bags over his head to the baggage compartment.
    “That boy is a Cressian slave,” the constable said, “He looks to be about your age.  You’re 11, aren’t you?”
    “Yes.”  Katelyn watched the boy finish strapping down
the luggage.
    “Kate, are you sure the Cressian military is really what you want to commit your life to?”
    “Yes.”  
    “Why?” he asked.
    “Do you mind if I answer you by asking you some questions?” she asked.    
    “That will be fine.”
    “Have you ever heard of anyone ever being kicked out of the Cressian Military?”
    “No, that’s what worries me.”
    “How do non-Cressians treat Cressian officers?” she asked.
    “I haven’t seen any treated disrespectfully.  Is that what you were asking?”
    “Yes.  Has anyone in a Cressian uniform ever caused trouble on the station?”
    “No, Cressians have an excellent record of behaving themselves.  There was one incident, but the Cressian government made full restitution.  The man involved also did about 100 hours of community service on the station,”  he answered.
    “And your asking me why I want to be a part of a group that takes care of its own, is respected, and has a good reputation?” she asked.
    “Do you realize, Kate, that the Cressian government is a monarchy?”  
    “A what?”
    “If you do this you’ll spend the rest of your life serving a queen.”  he said.
    “Oh that, yes, but the way I see it everyone is a servant to someone or something.  You serve the people on your station.  Some serve God or money.  Some, like my father, serve alcohol.  Did you come along just to talk me out of going?”
    “No, I just want to be sure you know what you’re getting into,” he said.
    “No, I don’t know what I’m getting into.”  She folded her arms across her chest.
    “By the time you find out, it will be too late.”
    “No, in one year I can choose not to pledge allegiance to the Queen.”
    Constable Byron gave her a doubtful look. “You’ll be twelve right?  I don’t think twelve is old enough to decide the rest of your life.”
    “Many people younger than I am decide what they want for a career.”
    “It seems like you’ve thought things out.  If in a year you find you don’t want to pledge to the Queen, don’t hesitate to call me,”  He said.
    “And what will you do?” she asked, “Will you make me a part of your family?  You don’t understand, I don’t have the same choices as a kid with a normal family.”
    “Attention passengers, this is Captain Speling.  In fifteen minutes we will arrive at Cressia.  A five-minute decontamination sweep will commence upon our arrival.  Please, stay in your seats until the decontamination sweep in finished.  And thank you for traveling Galaxy Allies.”
    Katelyn scrunched up her nose. “Decontamination sweeps stink like something died in an air duct .”
    Katelyn watched the Cressian woman and her slave boy during the decontamination sweep.  While passengers rose to collect their things the Cressian woman and her slave didn’t move.
    People flowed through the Cressian terminal like water from a fountain, rushing to their next destination.  Katelyn slipped her hand into the constable’s in fear of getting lost.
    “How do we get to registration?” she asked.
    “By bus.” He pointed.  
    Katelyn looked the direction he was pointing and read the sign:
Cressian Games
Shuttle bus
Registration Ends 1900

    Beyond the sign was a bus.  It looked like a hot dog with windows and pontoons.    
     Katelyn groaned, “I’m so tired of traveling.”
    “Just a little bus ride and we’ll be there,” he said.
    Katelyn sat by the window expecting to see a little of Cressia along the way.  The bus rose from the ground and sped along so quickly that buildings and trees were blurs.  Watching out the window made Katelyn feel sick.  She shielded her eyes with her hand.
    Constable Byron smiled, “Your just travel weary.  When you’ve rested the speeds won’t bother you so much.”
    Still Katelyn worried.  What kind of pilot gets sick on a speeding bus?  The bus lowered to the ground.  For the first time since she decided to do this, she was uncertain.  What if she failed?  She had worked delivering news disks for over a year to get the money to pay for this trip.  All of the money was gone.  She had only enough for a one-way trip, so either way things turned out, she was stuck here.  
Katelyn offered the Constable a smile. “Ready?”
    “Are you ready?”
    “Yes,” Her voice was more sure than she felt.
    They entered the large stone building in front of where the bus had stopped.  There was a large lobby full of comfortable furniture.  The room was clean and moderately
decorated with paintings of nature.  It was comfortable but not fancy.  
    There were three hallways going out from the lobby. One was labeled A-H, another I-Q, and another R-Z.  
    “R-Z, I’d say this is the way we need to go,” Katelyn said.    
    



© 2011 mamachansensei


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wonderful dahling! just wonderful! but in the third paragraph from the end is a line change that you need to fix quickly.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You must post more! This is amazing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 7, 2011
Last Updated on October 7, 2011


Author

mamachansensei
mamachansensei

Cressia, IA



About
i love to write. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by mamachansensei