Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by mamachansensei

Chapter 3

    Constable Byron followed an excited Katelyn to a desk at the end of the hallway.  The Cressian at the desk wore a scarlet uniform.  Five braids circled his left shoulder.  The braids were scarlet, gold, white, purple, and green.  Katelyn didn’t know what they meant, but they looked impressive.  The Cressian didn’t smile a greeting or say a word.  He held out his hand to receive her papers.  
    Katelyn hurried to dig out the papers and timidly handed them to the Cressian.  He read through the papers carefully.  The Cressian handed Constable Byron a clipboard.
    “Sign here.”
    Constable Byron read the form and signed it.  The Cressian compared the signatures and frowned. “Where is Artimas Williams?”
    Katelyn stood quietly.  He stared into her face.  “Is Artimas Williams your father?”  
    “Yes,”
    “Where is he?” he ordered.
    Katelyn looked to the Constable for strength.  “I don’t know,” she answered.
    “Officers have been looking for Artimas Williams since he was reported missing at 1200 hours today,” the Constable intervened.
    “On such a little station?” The Cressian was doubtful.
    “I’ve known Artimas Williams for many years,” Constable Byron said, “ If he doesn’t want to be found, he won’t be.”
    “Really?” Katelyn asked.
    “Yes really,” Constable Byron folded his arms. “Your Father was one of the best undercover officers I’ve ever known.
    Katelyn sighed, “Now he’s just a drunk.”
    “Anyway, he’s disappeared, and we are unable to find him.  I have come in his absence to see that she gets her chance to compete.  I will return to take her home if need be.”
    The Cressian seemed appeased.  “Do you have a coach Katelyn?”
    “No,”
    The Cressian pressed a button on the desk that Katelyn
hadn’t noticed was even there.  A girl in a Cressian uniform walked up to the desk.  She wore one scarlet braid on her
left shoulder.  She had cocoa brown skin and full lips.  Her ebony hair was pulled into a braid behind her.
    “This is Johppa Cre.  She will be your coach.  Johppa, this is Katelyn Williams.”
    “Hello,” Johppa said, “If you’ll follow me I’ll show you to your room.”
    Katelyn nodded.  She turned to Byron and held out her hand.  He grasped it.
    “Thank you,” she shook his hand. She was sorry their relationship was based on a lie.  Her father was not missing, just not present.  She liked Constable Byron.  Katelyn turned to follow Johppa who spoke as they walked.
    “There won’t be any events tonight except a dinner in the Common Room.  You may want to wear a dress if you have one.  Dinner will be at 1900 hours.  Do you have a dress?  You could probably borrow one of mine if you don’t.”
    “I have a skirt and blouse, thank you.”
    “Your room number is G-54.  When we’ve programmed your door, it may only be opened by yourself or a coach.  It will be programmed to your retina and your voice.”
    Johppa stopped in front of Katelyn’s room and removed a panel near the door.  She pressed a few buttons that bleeped strangely.  
    “Look into the eyepiece,”  Johppa said.
    Katelyn looked but was unable to find it.  She didn’t even know what she was looking for.  “Where is it?” Katelyn felt rather foolish.
    Johppa looked up,  “I should have shown you.  It’s the circle there on the door.”
    “Oh.” Katelyn looked into the circle.  A bright light flashed and Katelyn jumped back in surprise.  
    Johppa, without looking up from the pannel said , “Now say your full name.”
    “Katelyn Rose Williams.”
    “Now say open,”
    “Open,” Katelyn jumped as the door swished open.
    “My you’re skittish,” Johppa said, “Is that all the luggage you have?”  
    Katelyn picked up her overstuffed gym bag.  “I don’t come from a rich family.  I’m fortunate I have this much.”  
    Johppa led the way into the room.  “Enjoy the accommodations. If you’re accepted it will be a long time before you enjoy the comfort of a room like this again.”
    “I’ll be accepted,” Katelyn said.
    “Good, then don’t get too comfortable.  Would you like me to escort you to the Common Room?” 
    “Yes, can you tell me about the first event?”
    “No, not until tomorrow,”  Johppa answered, “I’ll leave you to clean up now and return at 1845 to show you to the Common Room.”
    After Johppa left, Katelyn dug into her bag for her wadded skirt and blouse.  She hoped that hanging them in the bathroom while she showered would be enough to smooth the badly wrinkled garments.  Katelyn used the time before dinner to clean up, dress, and nap.  
    As she promised, Johppa arrived at exactly 1845 to escort Katelyn to dinner.  She was dressed in a white blouse and scarlet skirt.  On her left shoulder she wore the scarlet braid.
    “Johppa, what does the scarlet braid mean?”
    “It means I’ve given my oath to the Queen of Cressia and am an ensign in training. ET they call it.  I’ve been in the service of the Queen one year.  Here is the Common Room.”
    The Common Room looked like a cafeteria filled with round tables.  Along one wall to Katelyn’s left, was a buffet table filled with various foods.  Some were familiar, some very foreign.  Everyone in the room was clothed in skirts or dresses, or dress pants and dress shirts.  There were as many coaches in the scarlet and white with scarlet braids as there were kids in the room.  Johppa and Katelyn filled their trays and sat at a table.
    “Why do the kids in uniform look so unhappy to be here?” Katelyn asked.
    “They think other things are more important and that the games are beneath them.  I don’t agree.  The games are
an important part of the selection process for the Queen’s service,”  Johppa said.  
    Katelyn bit into what she thought was shrimp.  It tasted like candy coated tuna.
    “Umm, what is this Johppa?”
    “It’s called simpee, and it tastes much better eaten live.  Strangers don’t take well to having simpee roaming about the banquet table.”  
    While everyone sat eating, a Cressian man wearing the scarlet uniform and at least a dozen colored braids stood.
“I’m Admiral Shattner.  On behalf of the Queen of Cressia I welcome everyone and wish you well at the games.”   The Admiral returned to his seat.  That was it, the welcome was over.   
    At the end of the meal Johppa led Katelyn to her room. She promised to tell Katelyn about the morning’s event tomorrow when the games began.  



© 2011 mamachansensei


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I want simpee crawling around the banquet table. Does it taste like candy coated fish too?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on November 11, 2011
Last Updated on November 11, 2011


Author

mamachansensei
mamachansensei

Cressia, IA



About
i love to write. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by mamachansensei