Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by mamachansensei

Chapter 6

    “Why was everyone laughing?” Johppa asked.
    “I made a comment about what the project looked like,” Katelyn answered.
    “If you’re not cautious, you will be labeled a problem and get assigned one of the toughest masters.”
    “Masters?”
    “The one who guides your education.” Johppa said.
    “A teacher?” Katelyn asked.
    “Not quite accurate, but teacher is close enough.”  
    “I suppose that’s one of those things I’ll understand later,” Katelyn said, “What’s next on the agenda?”
    “Free-time, would you like to go to your room to rest or go to the Common Room to mix with some of the others?”
    “Let’s see what’s going on in the Common Room.”
    In the Common Room, a small group crowded around a table in the corner.  They seemed to be playing a game, though it was not like any of the games with which Katelyn was familiar.  Katelyn walked to the table and saw that Reva was sitting there.  She held twelve, colored rods in her hands.  
    Reva looked up as Katelyn’s shadow darkened a spot on the table. “Hello Katelyn.”
    “Hi, Reva. What are you playing?  I’ve never seen this game before.”
    “It’s called Kravit. Each of these colored rods stand for a meaning and a number of points.  Red is the color of death, and it is negative points.  The brown is for slavery to others and is worth fifty points.  Purple is the wound of a switch and is worth fifty points.  Navy is for dealer of dark deeds and it’s worth fifty points.  Bright pink is desires fulfilled and it’s worth one hundred points.”
    “Reva, take your turn you can explain as we go along.”  Monica said.
    Reva ignored the girl and continued to explain, “ Black means, black of space, and it’s worth one hundred points.    Orange is for standing out in the crowd and is worth one hundred points.  Green is for leisure and literature and its worth one hundred points.  Dark scarlet is for the Royal Guard and it’s worth two hundred points.  The blue is the color of  the sky, and it means the sky is the limit, and it’s worth two hundred points.  Gold is for prosperity, it’s worth two hundred points.  White is for purity of heart and it’s worth two hundred points.  You shuffle them like this.”
    Reva held the rods in her open palms, her fingers linked together and she used her thumbs to push the rods, rearranging them.
    “Reva, take your turn already,” Adley said.
    Reva gathered all the rods into one hand and with the other pounded her fist on the table.  “Will you shut up? Then you hold the rods upright and drop them on the table.  Here you try it.”
    Reva handed the rods to Katelyn.  She held the rods like she had been shown and dropped them on the table.
    “Kravit!” Reva shouted.
    “Is  that a good thing?” Katelyn asked.
    “Yes, that’s six hundred points.  Not bad for a first try,”  Reva said, “See the top three rods are the gold, the blue, and the scarlet.”
    “Now it’s my turn.”  Monica grabbed the Kravit rods.
    She shuffled them and dropped them on the table.  Someone moaned and the rest laughed at the outcome. 
    “Too bad Monica,”  Reva said.
    “Some believe the Kravit rods tell the future.  If that’s true poor Monica will stand out in the crowd, be a dealer of a dark deed, and feel the wound of a switch.  
Katelyn here will be a prosperous member of the Royal Guard and have limitless opportunities,” Adley said.
    “That’s all waste Adley, Kravit is just a game of probabilities.” Terza said.
    “This is Terza,” Adley said, “ Miss know it all doesn’t believe in the supernatural. Everything in her mind can eventually be scientifically explained.”
    “I suppose you’d prefer to believe in magic?” Terza said.
    “Sure,” Adley said, “It makes life more interesting.”
    “Adley, take your turn.” Reva said.
    Katelyn watched Adley expertly shuffle the rods.  He smiled up at Katelyn not watching his hands as she would have had to do.  He winked his sea green eye before he gripped the rods and dropped them on the table.  The rods were white, black, and purple.  Many around the table laughed.  
    “Looks like you get a whipping too, Adley,” Monica said.
    “I don’t doubt it.” he said, “I wonder which of us will be first.”    
    All were silent as Johppa approached the table. “Katelyn, the evening meal is being laid out on the buffet.  Join me for dinner.”  
    The statement was not a request but a command.  Katelyn rose from the table and her new friends. “See you later.”
    Katelyn followed Johppa in silence to the food table where they served themselves and then found a place to sit.  She was feeling confused and a little angry at being taken from her new friends.
    “It isn’t wise to get too close to people here until after the games.  Only the ten best will become Cressian officers.  Close friendships could jeopardize your performance.”
    “Do you think I have a chance?” Katelyn asked.
    “You’ve all got a chance, but only ten will make it,”
    “Johppa, could it be true that the Kravit rods tell the future?”  
    “Which roll?  Most everyone from Cressia has played Kravit many times.  They can’t all be their future can they?” Johppa asked.    
    “No, I suppose not.” Katelyn was disappointed.
    “I’ll tell you all the future you need to know right now.  Your going to finish your meal and retire for the evening.  Tomorrow will be another full day.”  Johppa’s voice sounded light and there was a smile on her face, but she was serious.  
    Katelyn grinned.  “Yes ma’am.”
    Following the meal Johppa led Katelyn to her room. She set Katelyn’s alarm and said ”Good night.”
    Katelyn, having nothing better to do, grabbed a book and lay down on her bed to read.




© 2012 mamachansensei


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on December 14, 2011
Last Updated on February 22, 2012


Author

mamachansensei
mamachansensei

Cressia, IA



About
i love to write. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by mamachansensei