Genesis

Genesis

A Chapter by The Mad Gentleman

I have never been one to be known for belief in the supernatural, all my friends call me the most well grounded woman they have ever met. Even my history professor calls me blind to the unnatural. At least he did, that was before he was found in dead in his home, his skin turned ash gray, his body was affected in such a way that his body could not be moved about. Leaving his body in a preserved state of his final moments. Terror on his face. His arms up as a shield.


They have reviewed the security tapes and say that the attacker was a man known as Lucas Duns. A man who graduated from this University along with my Professor, Henry Walsh about thirty years ago. I began looking into his murder, I needed to know. I found something else. Lucas Duns was reported missing, along with four other graduates. The reports were filed by Henry Walsh and Victor Halls. It only took me minutes after that to find Victor. 


The critics proclaimed him the Master of Horror; Victor Halls was a writer, and a graduate from the University. For sometime after graduation I worked on raising money and planning a trip that would take me to Victor Halls’ estate in Washington, and then to Germany. It was a slow process and I was close to giving up, until July 20 when a new story was released by Victor Halls. This one was labeled as nonfiction. The story was nonsense. If Victor believed it to be true then he must be insane. All the same the story only sparked my interest further; and by calling in a few favors I found myself stepping onto a plane destined for Seatac airport on July 21. I had secured a meeting with Victor through my friend’s uncle, Dr. Simon Coachmen. Dr. Coachmen met me at the airport and drove me to the Halls estate in Orting. He left me at the gate stating that he would return to give me a ride if I needed one.


I walked up the long driveway to reach Victor’s manor, it was a particularly cold night, and before I reached the building it began to rain. I felt as if I had just walked into one of Halls’ stories by coming here. I quickly made my way there, regardless when I nocked on the large front door I was soaked from head to toe. I had used by overcoat to cover my briefcase and had just barely kept it dry.


The door was answered by a young man dressed in a dark black suit, he ushered me inside and took my coat from me and pointed me to the lounge. He quickly left to fetch me a towel or two. I walked to the lounge, all the while I examined my surroundings. Victor seemed to decorate his manor in a similar fashion to the stories he wrote. He truly immersed himself in his work. The lounge was no different from the hall leading to it. The shelves were adorned with books on the Occult, skulls, stuffed ravens, and all sorts of artifacts. Not to mention the fireplace, it was the kind you might expect to find in a novel about a haunted house.


Regardless of these observations I stood as close to the fire as the heat billowing out from it would allow. It wasn’t long before the man who had answered the door returned with a stack of towels. He said to use as many as I needed, he also said that Victor would meet with her, soon as the others had arrived. Then he quickly walked away before I could ask him what he meant by others. With the man gone and my questions unanswered I settled with drying off. I didn’t have much of a chance to sit down before another person walked in, lead by the door man. 


She walked in and grabbed a towel to dry off before sitting in a chair close to mine. The woman introduced herself as Molly Tork, she stated that she worked with The Organization as an Occult investigator. When I asked her what The Organization was she looked at me as if I had said I don’t like chocolate. Molly was kind enough to explain to me that The Organization was a group of scholars and explorers who, until now had observed, studied, and protected occurrences that they deemed related to the Under-cities of the world. Also, that this group had been around for quite some time; the first recorded member being Mary Shelly whose novel in 1818 was, in all actuality a case report.


By the time she had finished telling me a “brief” history of The Organization I was beginning to fear for her sanity. Thats when the next person arrived, a half crazed looking man with black curly hair and wild eyes. Despite his smooth pale skin and dark hair his eyes gave him the appearance of an old man burdened with many years. He introduced himself to me as Walter Rogers one of The Organization’s experts on The Elder Gods. This is when I began worrying about what I had gotten myself into.


Over the next half hour three more people arrived, a man named Kevin Doyle arrived who said he was an Occult Explorer. A woman named Kalla Quill arrived who said she was a trained survival guide, specially trained by members of The Organization. The last to arrive was a man named Ace Vandellis, another Elder God expert, as well as an Occult investigator. After ten minutes of them all trying to explain to me what The Organization was, the door man stepped into the room to introduce our host. Victor T. Halls was a time worn looking man, with stark white hair and a grim expression. Still he held himself high.

When the man spoke it was with a hidden power that made every word intense and important, commanding his audience to listen. I began to understand a bit more that this man was far from his wits end as he had stated in his “warning.” 


He spoke for some time about The Organization, their responsibilities, and their traditions. He told us the awful tale of Svenz, leaving out narrative flourishes that had been in the document I read. By that time I could hardly ignore that I had stumbled into something that was beyond me. The night was already late when Halls started talking about the late Henry Walsh, and even then it was a short speech stating nothing more than what can be assumed by the police report. Finally Halls answered the question that was now on my mind. Why he had agreed to see me on the day that a meeting was already planned. Specifically one that seemed so secretive. He addressed it in a simple manner, that was easy to follow.


“At this point you have all likely realized that Ms. Olivia Eldritch is not a previously trained member, or even a member of The Organization. She was not even made aware of the existence of such a group until today in this house. While she has come here believing that she was lucky to find a connection to the murder she is investigating. In all actuality, and I do apologize for the deception. I have manipulated the situation to my advantage. I wished to have a third party with the expedition. Yes, it was by chance that I was discovered by this woman; but much to my advantage.


“I believe that by placing an unbiased writer onto the expedition team we will be able to expand our understanding of the Under-cities. It is likely she will notice things that a trained member might not. I believe that it will be beneficial to our historians to gain a new viewpoint in the records.” He paused and turned to me. “Of course the decision is yours Ms. Eldritch.” Now I felt everyone’s eyes burning into me. All awaiting an answer. I thought for only a few minutes, but the pressure seemed like hours were ticking by. Then I spoke.

“I came here to understand what happened to Professor Walsh. Instead I think I have been given more questions that I need answers to. One thing that I do know is that going with you can help me to understand how he died. With that being said, yes I will go. Is Svenz safe to be in though?” As I said that last bit I saw a bemused smile twitch across Halls’ face.

“Svenz is hardly safe to be in. There is no such thing as a safe place to be. However you needn’t worry about Svenz. You’ll be traveling into Orting.” With that he began explaining the details of the expedition to us. The night dragged on and on. When sleep finally found me I was glad to have it.


~End Entry One~

~Olivia Eldritch~



© 2016 The Mad Gentleman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on August 8, 2016
Last Updated on August 8, 2016
Tags: Horror, Under-Cities, Weird stories


Author

The Mad Gentleman
The Mad Gentleman

Orting, WA



About
I try to write well... Try more..

Writing
Snow Snow

A Chapter by The Mad Gentleman