Restless

Restless

A Chapter by The Mad Gentleman

To say that I was not surprised by Orting’s structure would be a lie. From what small amounts of information I had gathered about Svenz and the other known Under-Cities had led me to one conclusion. That all the Under-Cities would be dark, mind numbingly similar, confined spaces. I believed tunnels would connect chamber to chamber. My wild imaginings proved far from the truth, for bridges connected everything here. The rooms must be suspended or on high reaching towers. 


The first of these structures was a large tower. A large library, for the most part, but for a few books near the entrance, it was very well preserved; despite their obvious age. I found that it was not the books that kept my attention though. Rather it was a monstrous figure that stood carved from stone atop a pedestal. The thing was awful to behold. A blend of a cobra’s head, with the terrible eyes of a spider. Massive bats wings replaced it’s arms attached to the chest of a man, which in bulk was taken by a large snarling mouth filled with jagged teeth. And holding it up were the legs of a goat, covered in the scales of a snake. The statue in it’s self made me want to puke.


All but Denzle gawked at the monstrosity. He only looked to it as he told us all that we “look upon none other than the Elder God, Extarch.” I was glad when we moved on from the structure. So much so that, even the sight of that dark and vulnerable bridge, seemed far preferable then staying in the resting place of that horrible statue. So we pressed on, none wanting to linger in the presence of so demonic an effigy. And for nearly four miles we traveled on that vulnerable bridge. With no mark of our progress save for an occasional bridge support it seemed as if we would find nothing but more darkness ahead of us. 


It was with great personal relief when I discovered no grotesque statues residing in the next structure we reached. The room was clear save a table and some supplies. There were spare batteries and rope, as well as a map that covered the table. The map showed four pathways leading out. It was clearly of our location. Each path an equal distance from its to neighbors. Creating a large plus running through the map. 

Upon examining the map closer I saw hand written notes covering certain spots. The direction we came from stated the location of a library, as well as big letters spelling “HOME.” It made little sense at first, but then it dawned on me that the maps main service was in saying which way you came from. Presumably a help to someone forgetful who was in a hurry. The other three directions were labeled, “The Lake” “The Abyss” and “The Statuary.” The last name on the list sent a chill up and down my spine asI recalled Victor’s recollection of his journey through Svenz.


After taking stock of everyone Denzle informed us that we would be spending our first night in this waypoint. He volunteered Kevin for the first watch, and himself for the second. I settled in. I took what little comfort I could from the fact that we would be having someone watching over us while we were sleeping. First I ate what little I could, for at this point I was feeling quite nauseous, so I ate little. Above all it was sleep that I craved. So it was not long before I was asleep.


When I went to sleep it was with high hopes that I would be rescued from my waking nightmare to find my-self in a dream. I could not have gotten further from what I wanted, for I was still in this horrid place. Only in my dream I was on the ground, and I could hear water behind me, as chanting filled the air. Then silence. I stood before a massive door, I threw my weight against it, but the archaic thing wouldn’t budge. Then I walked to a massive human like carving of a screaming face near the door, on the wall. Inside the open mouth was nothing but darkness. Though something did seem to shine deep inside. When I reached in I put my whole arm in to just past my shoulder. I grabbed something, and when I pulled away from the cliff the mouth smashed down on my arm. I woke with a start.


Soon everyone was awake, though none looked rested, even after our nine hours of sleep. In fact out of everyone the two most well rested looking of my party seemed to be Denzle and Kevin. The two who had less sleep. If the only ones to gain any rest were to be those who slept the least, then I will be in desperate need of rest when I escape this tomb. This fact worries me, I do not I will be able to lose it until we have began walking again. Nor do I imagine that I will be able to shake my strange dream from my mind. I believe we will leave soon.Denzle says we are going to the statuary.


~End Entry Three~

~Olivia Eldritch~



© 2016 The Mad Gentleman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on August 11, 2016
Last Updated on August 11, 2016
Tags: Horror, Under-Cities, Weird stories, Adventure


Author

The Mad Gentleman
The Mad Gentleman

Orting, WA



About
I try to write well... Try more..

Writing
Snow Snow

A Chapter by The Mad Gentleman