Fourteen

Fourteen

A Chapter by Laraine Davis

 After only a couple of minutes laying there motionless thinking about my horrible past, Lucas gently nudged me and told me that we should probably go get Blake from the hospital. I agreed and we headed to the car in silence, thoughts of the past action swarming through both our heads.

The car ride over was pretty silent too. I could tell that Lucas was thinking hard about something because he always furrows his eyebrows back and forth when he is really focused on figuring something out. After awhile I decided to ask him what was up. “Lucas, you okay?” He didn’t answer for a long time, and I was about to ask again when he sighed and then spoke. “Yeah I’m fine. I guess. I don’t know, Chels. I really don’t know. I kind of feel bad for beaten on Daniel. He does have anger management, and it isn’t exactly his fault that he is so hard to control.”

I thought deeply into what Lucas said. I didn’t talk for the rest of the ride I was so deep into thought. As we were getting out of the car I finally turned and said to him, “Even if he does have anger management, his mum got him pills, didn’t she? He was the one who refused to take them. So he had an option to not have the problem. He just refused to deal with it.” Lucas nodded and didn’t say anything else on the matter as we walked into the hospital.

“This way.” I muttered and pulled on his sleeve. We turned left and walked down the same hallway I had walked down only an hour ago. It seemed like ages. We reached room 8 and Lucas grabbed the doorknob and swung the door open. I peered around Lucas to see if Blake was in the room. Sure enough, there he was lying on that bed with the annoying crackling paper sheet on it. And there was Dr. Chill, sitting on his little chair filing some papers in a folder.

No one moved. I don’t even think the doctor knew of our presence. “Ahem.” Lucas said, ever so softly, but loud enough to stir the quiet room. Dr. Chill glanced up and said with surprise, “Oh! Miss Chelsea, you have returned so soon!” What am I? A princess? What was with the whole “miss” stuff? “Yeah...So is Blake okay or does he need an emergency operation or something?” I asked, glancing at Blake lying fast asleep on the bed.

Dr. Chill snorted at my apparent ignorance. I tried to raise one of my eyebrows in a disapproving stance, but since I can’t do that, I probably looked stupid. “Oh no of course not, miss Chelsea! Sure, he needed some quick stitches put in him. But now he is good as new! Just a little drowsy from all the medicine we pumped into him. The worry and agony just flooded out of my body and mind. I dropped my shoulders and closed my eyes, letting the relief run into my nose and clog up my head. I breathed out and couldn’t even speak I was so happy.

Blake was conscious enough to walk, but he was a little tipsy, so Lucas and I each had one of his arms and balanced him all the way to Lucas’s car. Once we had him strapped in nice and tight I realized that we had left Blake’s car at the park. “Lucas...we left Blake’s-” “Yeah I know. We’re going to drive over there and then we’ll put Blake in his car, and then you’re going to drive him home. I’ll be following behind you that way I can drive us home after we drop him and his car off.” I nodded, “Sounds like a plan.”

So for about the third or fourth time that day I was making my way over to the park. I was really getting sick of that place. The only good thing that had come out of it was that I had met Blake. Was it really only a couple of days ago that I had met him? I thought I was in love with him. Even though we hadn’t had much time to really talk and get to know each other, I knew he was a great guy. And as soon as he got better, I was going to spend as much time as I could to get to know him. The whole way to the park I was smiling.

When we reached the park, Daniel nor his car were in sight anywhere. Lucas, Blake and I were the only ones at the park because it was long after dusk and everyone had gone home. We helped Blake out of Lucas’s car, but by now, most of the painkillers had worn off and he was almost back to his proper self. He sat in the passenger seat as I drove him home, Lucas following behind as he had promised.

I pulled in Blake’s driveway and turned off the engine. The night was almost silent without the constant purr of the car in the back of my head. It was nearly dark, but my eyes soon adjusted and I could see most of Blake sitting in the space next to me. “Chelsea, I know I haven’t known you for long. And even in this short time of our friendship, we’ve already been through a lot. And I know that there is a lot more to come, and I don’t want to complicate things or anything when you already probably have enough problems on your mind, but I really do like you and I think you’re a great person and-” I leaned over and kissed him just to make him stop babbling. I could tell from the way he had just kept talking that he was really nervous. Might as well help the poor kid out.



© 2008 Laraine Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on November 20, 2008


Author

Laraine Davis
Laraine Davis

Atlanta, GA



About
I'm Laraine and I incredibly love to write. Recently, I managed to write a novel that was to be 50,000 words long in a month. It took a lot of dedication but I completed it with a immense achieved fee.. more..

Writing
Numbness Numbness

A Chapter by Laraine Davis