Twenty-two

Twenty-two

A Chapter by Laraine Davis

 When I walked into homeroom Nie walked up to me and asked me why I looked so slap happy. I grinned even bigger and said, “You know how I told you that Blake pretty much dumped me on my butt in the street the other day?” She nodded and I continued, “Well, he called me on the way to school and was all apologetic and saying that he missed me.” Nie’s eyes went big and she uttered softly, “He…he DID? What did you say?”

 

“I told him that I didn’t care that he missed me because he hurt me and that I didn’t care about his apology either because I don’t care about apologies an more. Then I told him to f**k off. So it was pretty exciting.” I smiled and Nie grinned back. I loved her. Along with Scarlett and Ellie. But Nie was always happy whenever I was happy. Which made me feel important.

 

At lunch I walked in with Scarlett and we went through the line. I grabbed a bottle of apple juice and some pretzels and Scar got a bottle of water and an apple. We weren’t huge fans of cafeteria food. While we were almost to the end of the line Scarlett said to me, “So I heard Blake called you this morning and you told him off real well.” I laughed. Apparently Nie had told her. “Yeah, I did. He was telling me that he missed me and that he was sorry, but I didn’t believe it. So I told him exactly what I was thinking.” Scarlett laughed and we walked to our table.

 

Nie and Ellie were already there as we sat down. We all started discussing this new movie that had just came out. “I really want to see it! It has Harry Chenzle in it!” Ellie said, excited. We all rolled our eyes playfully at her. Ellie was obsessed with this pretty boy, Harry Chenzle, who had been in this TV show a couple years back called Harry and Her. It was this comedy romance show about this couple that had different problems with their kids and marriage. Regular TV drama kicks.

 

“Well, I really want to see that movie with Samantha Tunvick. Have you heard about it? She’s a ghost whisperer! Now, that is chilling!” Scarlett said. She was obsessed with ghosts, so of course she would want to see it. I was about to comment on this one movie I had seen a preview for when I heard a husky voice behind me go, “Is this seat taken?”

 

We all looked up at the same time to see Daniel peering over us and pointing to the empty chair next to me. I became aware that I hadn’t told any of them that Daniel was okay now. This was not going to end well. I braced myself for one of them to tell him to take a hike, but no one spoke. I looked around and they were all just looking up and staring at Daniel.

 

I glanced up at him and said, “No, you can sit there.” Nie, who was sitting next to me, gasped softly. I winced, wondering what they were thinking. They probably all thought I was a softy and just felt sorry for Daniel. That wasn’t the truth, however. Daniel was pretty trustful now and I really liked him. I just hoped that I would be able to explain that to all of them without them worrying about me.

 

He set his lunch down and pulled out his chair. When he sat down Scarlett said into Ellie’s ear, but loud enough for everyone to hear, “What is HE doing here?” I looked over to Daniel out of my peripherals. His face looked hurt. I took pity on him and spoke up, “Actually, guys. Daniel is earning my trust. Do you think that you guys could start to trust him as well? He’s trying really hard.”

 

My words seemed like an echo because no one spoke or stirred after I said that. I sighed, “Guys? I know you may be thinking ‘No way, this dude hurt her.’ But really, if I trust him, can’t you do the same?” Ellie cleared her throat, “I guess we could try to trust him again. But it is going to take a lot of convincing.” I nodded at her thankfully and then looked at Scarlett and Nie.

 

They both stared at each other and then back to me. Scarlett spoke up, “I guess I agree with Ellie.” Nie glanced at Scarlett, looking unsure. “Nie, It’s okay. I just wish you would trust him. For me, at least.” She let out a sigh and nodded, “I’ll trust him then, Raina. For you.” I smiled, “Thanks, you guys. Don’t worry, Daniel won’t do anything, right?”

 

I peered over at Daniel and he was staring down at his lap. I nudged him in the arm and he glanced up at me. “No, Raina. I’m never going to do something like that ever again. And I will keep telling you and promising you that until you believe me.” I half-smiled, “Daniel, I do believe you. Just don’t give me a reason not to, okay?” I put my hand on top of his for reassurance. He smiled and a twinkle appeared in his eye, “Okay.” He said as he squeezed my hand lightly in return.

 

After lunch was over, Ellie, Nie, and Scarlett went to their separate classes while Daniel and I walked to History together. We were talking and laughing as we rounded the corner and, to both of our surprise, ran into Blake! I jumped back a little bit. Daniel stayed firm. Blake looked from my face to Daniel’s and then back to mine.

 

“Hey, Blake.” I said emotionless. Blake’s expectant eyes dropped a bit and he replied, “Hey Raina.” I crossed my arms over my chest and looked and Daniel, ready for him to say something. He popped his tongue on the roof of his mouth and said casually, “Blake, haven’t seen you around school yet until today. Where you been?”

 

Blake took a moment to answer, but when he did he sounded just as casual as Daniel had, “Oh, I’ve just been settling in since I only moved in a month ago. Plus, with my injury from you it’s been a little harder.” I winced for Daniel. That was harsh, even for Blake. I looked up to see Daniel’s reaction, expecting fury to be spread over his face like a blanket.

 

However, his face was marble smooth and calm. I couldn’t believe it. How could he stay so calm? This Daniel really was different. “Blake, I know that we have had our differences, but I would appreciate it if you would leave me alone. If you do that for me, then I’ll return the favor.” Then he gently but hurriedly placed his arm around me and pushed me forward, leaving Blake standing there speechless.

 

When we walked into the classroom almost everyone was already there. At least five people looked up as we entered, and Daniel immediately took his arm off from around me and walked to his seat. I ignored all their curious stares and took my seat as well. Mr. Barnes said that today we were to present our projects.

 

I turned around, intending to ask Daniel if he had the PowerPoint CD but I stopped when everyone in front of Daniel were peering cautiously and confused toward me. I tried to ignore them but it was very nerve wracking trying to get Daniel’s attention with all of them watching my every move. When I finally got Daniel to look my way he assured me that he had the CD. I glared at all the eyes staring at mine then turned back around in my seat.

 

Daniel and I were the last to present but it went fast because we worked very well together. And as we were walking out of class Daniel asked me if I was doing anything after school. “No, I don’t think so. I have to be home before dinner though, so probably only an hour to hang out, is that okay?” Daniel beamed and said, “As long as I get to spend time with you, it doesn’t matter. I’ll pick you up after school.” He kissed me on my cheek and then he was gone.

 

I stood there like an idiot staring at the space where Daniel had stood only seconds before. People passing by nearly bumped into me, but I didn’t care because I felt like I was floating. And the reason wasn’t just because he had done such a little thing as kiss me on the cheek, it was the fact that he had so drastically changed and I loved him even more than I did two years ago.

 

When I reached my locker, I didn’t even need to remember my combination, my hands did it automatically. I pulled my books out that I needed for 7th period and then closed my locker. As I was walking down the hallway I heard someone call out my name. I turned around and just take a guess on which I saw.

 

Here comes Blake running down the hall toward me, waving one of his hands like he was directed traffic or something. I slowed down but I didn’t stop. When he finally caught up, he was out of breath but I was trying to ignore him so I didn’t really notice. “Hey.” He said, still trying to catch his breath.

 

I didn’t say anything. I kept walking and looking straight ahead. He exhaled loudly and said, “Look, Raina, I’m sorry okay? How can you forgive Daniel but you can’t forgive me?” I didn’t stop and I didn’t look at him. “Because Daniel showed that I can trust him again. You have done nothing of the sort. If you knew that you would miss me later, then why the hell did you say that you weren’t interested in me?”

 

Feeling guilty, I finally looked Blake in the eyes. “I hadn’t known that I would miss you so much, Raina! I never knew you were so addictive. But you are! Can’t you just accept my apology and move on?” Okay, that right there really pissed me off. I stopped walking and got close up to his face, “No, I can’t move on. You want to know why? Because I didn’t miss you! And I don’t want to. Trust me, boy, I never will!”

 

All of a sudden, Blake’s lips were pressed against mine. I barely knew what was going on. All I knew was that this boy I was previously yelling at is now kissing me. The only thing I want to know is why? But before I could think anymore on the matter Blake pulled away. When I opened my eyes he was sitting there with a goofy grin set on his face.

 

I didn’t smile, however, because I was not too happy about his little display. “I bet you’re going to miss that kiss. Call me and tell me that you don’t miss it.” I glared at him and said, “I don’t even miss it right now. I’m telling you Blake; you were just a thing of the moment. I don’t like you.” He laughed, “Sure, Raina, sure.”

 

This kid was bugging the crap out of me. I used to think he was so sweet. Now, he was so full of himself and so annoying. “What do you want with me anyway, Blake? Why are you doing this now when you obviously didn’t like me when I went to your house to talk to you.” He shrugged. “I realized that I actually did like you.” I narrowed my eyes at him and said, “Well you know what? I realized that I actually don’t like you. So go screw with someone else’s life!”

 

I wasn’t exactly sure where the anger came from but at that moment I slapped Blake straight across his stunned little face. It took several minutes for him to collect himself and speak, “Wh-what the hell was that for?!” I couldn’t really answer that since I wasn’t quite sure myself. So instead of responding I shrugged and walked away from him.

 

The fact that Blake never caught up with me while I was still heading to my next class made me assume that he was still standing there with surprise strewn across his face. I was actually really proud of myself. I didn’t cave into his little apologies and I let him know what I was thinking. I was beginning to gain my confidence. Boys weren’t that scary once you saw the reason behind all their bullying.

 

I walked into my Science class and spotted Ellie in her usual seat. I attempted to hurry my self over there but, clumsy me, I tripped on a book on the floor. Most of the class laughed because I was laughing as well. When I stood up, many people came over and asked if I was okay. I nodded and continued to where Ellie sat.

 

Plopping myself down on the chair next to hers, I noticed that she hadn’t looked up once since I had entered the room. Even after my little display of tripping, she hadn’t inclined her head forward or made any notion that I was here beside her now. “Ellie, you okay?” I was starting to worry a bit.

 

She didn’t look up; she just gently nodded her head. I rested my chin on my hand and stared at the board. Once our teacher, Ms. Hireman, began teaching and directed her attention away from our table I turned to face Ellie. She was looking straight ahead, obviously avoiding me. I nudged her but she didn’t budge. I sighed and ripped out a piece of paper.

 

Are you trying to avoid me or is this just my imagination? I slid the note over to Ellie and then gave the teacher my attention and tried to write notes on the topic that I didn’t hear. After several minutes, Ellie finally passed me the piece of paper back with one word on it.

 

No

 

Well, that was just dandy and everything but I needed to know why she was acting so strange. So I replied. We can talk about this, you know. Whatever it is, I don’t care. I’m not going to get mad at you or anything. Please won’t you tell me? I waited until Ms. Hireman wasn’t watching and then pushed the note over to Ellie.

 

She didn’t even look at the note until about ten minutes later. She sighed and picked up the note to read. Was Ellie mad at me? I wasn’t sure what I could have done to cause this. We were getting along great during lunch. But now I wasn’t sure what had happened.

 

Ellie sort of threw the note back at me like she didn’t care whether I read it or not. I cautiously picked it up and unfolded it under my desk so that the teacher wouldn’t see. Good thing everyone in class was talking, because the crinkles to get it open were pretty loud.

 

It’s nothing important really. After lunch I just went to my locker and when I opened it a note fell out. I’m sure you know the rest of the story, though. So why should I bother wasting my good pen on you?

 

Once I read it I had no clue what this girl was talking about. I didn’t know anything about a note being put in Ellie’s locker. I definitely didn’t put a note in there so what was she talking about? It was probably a misunderstanding. Whatever happened I had to set things straight.

 

No, Ellie. I have no clue what you are talking about. It was probably something bad, though, wasn’t it? It had to be for you to be mad at me. Tell me what was on the note, at least. Maybe it’s all a misunderstanding.

 

Yeah, maybe it is all just a misunderstanding and maybe it isn’t.

 

Well, we aren’t going to find out anything until you tell me. So I’m willing to wait as long as you are going to make me wait.

 

Ellie read the last thing that I wrote and sighed. I caught her there. She hated trying to make decisions while people were waiting on her for it. I crossed my arms as she glanced over at me. We had a five second staring contest, that I won, and then Ellie uncapped her pen. As she began to answer, I attempted once more to take notes but it was really hard because I had no idea what was going on.

 

And of course, to my amazing luck, Ms. Hireman called on me to answer some question from the book that we had apparently been doing. I stuttered and tried to improvise, “Um. Um. Oh, sorry, what number?” Ms. Hireman sighed and said number 3. “Oh right, sorry. Yes, number 3 is…” I glanced over at Ellie, she mouthed that it was hydrogen. I looked back up to Ms. Hireman and said with confidence, “Number 3 is a hydrogen atom.” A couple people laughed at my random outburst of the correct answer. The teacher nodded and moved on.

 

I breathed out a sigh of relief just as Ellie was passing the note back over to me. I told myself that no matter what it said, Ellie and I were sure to sort it back out and still be friends. We always had been. Something minor like this couldn’t separate us. It might have seemed stupid, but my hands trembled as I opened the worn down paper.

 

Someone told me in the note that Daniel and you had sex. And the reason that you didn’t tell me was because you were scared that I was going to spread it around school. Which I wouldn’t, but I just don’t understand why you would have sex with Daniel and not tell me. I thought we were friends. But if you are going to keep big secrets like that away from me, maybe its better if we aren’t friends.

 

I could not believe this. Who would put a note like that in Ellie’s locker? It couldn’t have been Daniel because that just didn’t make since. I couldn’t imagine Nie or Scarlett doing that. So the only one left would be Blake. The only thing is why would he do such a thing? Was he trying to break my friends and me up? What a selfish thing to do…

 

As quickly as I could, I grabbed my pen and wrote back.

 

Oh, no Ellie! That is so messed up! Daniel and I never had sex! There was that one time last year when he tried to rape me. But I told you about that one! Remember how I was in a mess for about two weeks? Ellie, really, think about this. I would never do something so drastic and not tell you about it. Now that I think about it, the only person I can think of who would do this just to get between my friends and I would be Blake.

 

I glanced over at Ellie, who was ignoring me completely now. I shoved the note over to her and she ignored the note as well. I felt my faith drop and I decided that I would try to talk to her after class as well. All I knew was that Daniel and I definitely did not have sex. And even if we had, I would tell my best friend! Someone is out to get me…

 

Ellie finally looked down with an uninterested look and casually picked up the note. She didn’t even try to hide it. She held it right in front of her face and unfolded it. I tried sending her telepathic messages to tell her to put it down, but I guess when your friend is mad at you they block your telepathy as well. Before I could get Ellie’s attention to put the note down, Ms. Hireman spotted it and began walking down the aisle toward our table. I closed my eyes and braced myself for her voice asking for the note.

 

“Miss Gash, may I ask what you have there in your hands?” Her tiny little voice came from in front of Ellie. She glanced up at Ms. Hireman and said with ease, “Oh this? It’s a note. Would you like to see it?” I couldn’t help it, my mouth dropped. Ellie had such causality with talking to teachers. And the teachers loved her for it.

 

Ms. Hireman crossed her arms and nodded slowly, “I think I’ll take it for now. This is your warning, girls.” She eyed Ellie and then me. “Next time I catch you passing notes, it’s a detention. Wednesday afternoon.” We both nodded, twin-like. Ms. Hireman smacked her lips together, took the note lying loosely in Ellie’s hand and then walked back to the front of the room.

 

The last five minutes of class passed by extremely slowly. Ellie and I awkwardly sat next to each other and twiddled our thumbs. I even asked her if she did her Language homework and she answered. No matter what happened, there was no way we could be kept from being friends. I knew that this was all a misunderstanding.

 

The bell rang and it sounded louder than ever before. Leisurely, I gathered my books and pretended that I wasn’t waiting for Ellie to be ready. When Ellie finally slung her bag over her shoulder and began to walk away I caught up to her and asked, “Did you read what I wrote?” She didn’t glance my way but nodded, facing the air in front of her.

 

I sighed, looking the opposite way of her face. “Do you believe me?”  I asked the wall on my left. Ellie didn’t speak until we reached her locker. I leaned against the locker next to hers as she spun in the combination. When the door calculated the numbers and opened Ellie finally spoke, “Yes, I do. It was stupid for me to immediately assume that. I should have asked you about it first.” She retrieved her books and closed the door.

 

She turned to face me and she looked very sympathetic, “I’m sorry.” My mood lightened and I smiled. “It’s okay. In your situation I probably would have done the same thing. The only thing that bothers me, though, is who would do this?” Ellie put one finger to her chin and tilted her head to the left. “You mentioned Blake in the note. Do you really think he would do such a thing?”

 

We began walking down the hallway to where my locker was. I really had to think on this one. Could Blake have down that? He could be trying to separate my friends and I. But the only thing is why? Why would he want to do that? Were my friends a threat to him trying to gain me back? This was all so messed up. Ever since Blake had turned me down when I went to his house, everything reversed. It was actually kind of interesting.

 

“I’m not really sure, Ellie. He is the only one that I can think of who would do that. It obviously wasn’t Daniel because I’ve been with him this entire day. I was with him when we went to his locker. There is no way he could have slipped it into your locker since you got it after lunch.” Ellie nodded, deep into thought.

 

When we reached my locker and it was Ellie’s turn to wait for me, she said, “I guess that makes since. It probably was Blake. Since he turned you down and then decided that he missed you and then you turned him down. He’s probably just trying to make you feel worthless and separate you from the ones that love you.” I nodded, grinning. “We’ll get him back though, right?” I asked.

 

Ellie laughed, “Oh, definitely. But first, we have to warn Nie and Scarlett not to believe any notes or messages about you, Daniel, me or them.” I laughed, “Yes, of course. Now, how shall we do our revenge?” Ellie brushed her fingertips on her chin like an evil scientist and said, “Oh, we’ll think of something. Not to worry. For now, lets find him and confront him. We’ll have to corner him off so he can’t run.” I started cracking up. Ellie was so hilarious.



© 2008 Laraine Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on December 7, 2008


Author

Laraine Davis
Laraine Davis

Atlanta, GA



About
I'm Laraine and I incredibly love to write. Recently, I managed to write a novel that was to be 50,000 words long in a month. It took a lot of dedication but I completed it with a immense achieved fee.. more..

Writing
Numbness Numbness

A Chapter by Laraine Davis