Chapter 52: Brothers Bond Bravely

Chapter 52: Brothers Bond Bravely

A Chapter by Latifa Rahim
"

Thomas Kalewill finally met his long-lost brother, beyond the shades of white wall's governance...

"


--------------------------------------------------------- 


W

ith their initial plan sneaking into Ancient Library foiled by Commander Blautiel himself, the team has to lay low for a while. Going back to the inn, everybody saw what lurks at night within this Isfel (lower) Stratum. Scent of illness lingers around the perimeter with death holding off its stance nearby. Some citizens they have seen earlier exhibit a peculiar dark spots on their skin, along with latent coughing. This time as well, the team witness few too many homeless people slumps into the dark alley�" sick, soulless and tired. Mainly they just cough whilst taking quick glances over passerby; but some dared to pull stunts to obtain medicine. Not minutes later, merchants scream 'Thief! Stop!' before anybody could do a thing. By hair's breadth, the culprit escaped into the dark alley, once again.

Back at the inn, after platters of dinner served, people mingles bit longer for evening drink. It is revealed then, black-spotted rash followed with cough has been plaguing residence of Isfel Stratum for quite a while. It also contributes to the Holiness' decision to cut off their contact with the outer world: quarantine. With no one able to go out or inside, the plague looms still around the perimeter, spreading quickly to those whose immunity goes deficit. Over times, people come to term of name for the plague; Holy Scab�" an eluding irony depicting those who live in Isfel are they whom the Heavens spit to. Following that belief, everyone thinks as if some sacred prowess is at work to deliver such cataclysm.

Even though details of prevention has been carried over: diminishing pest population, mass cleaning of the alleys, burning infected clothes�" the plague persists. It doesn't differentiate newborn or elder, everyone who deviates from their fitness will eventually catch it. No doctors, alchemists or sages able to conclude the carrier; as there is little report of pest insect inhabiting Isfel. The only medication keeping people alive is the one delivered from Divum Stratum, strictly regulated by Ministry of Welfare himself. Once or twice monthly�" if they are in luck�" dozens of wood carriage shall descend from the sky lift along with doctors and proficient chemist. They treat the Scabbers (what an abbreviation!) truly and all-out. Though the medication didn't help much (the death rate persists), denizen of Isfel can only rely to this far-fetched helping hand.

 

Midnight air cools off the veranda as Banri and Hameda stands to each other, enjoying few last sips of their drink. Usually Banri wouldn't stop and chat over his bottle�" preferring to race against the scruffy one, Jadel. Hameda's silver strands of hair glimmers even more under the waning moon, blurred orange-yellow by sight. His honey gold orbs stares at his glass making ripple out from the less-frothed drink. He sighs quietly, reminding himself of early conversation gone awkward when the group was having dinner.

 

Everyone was seated around the table, surrounded by variety of meal course: grain staples, fresh garden salad, steamy soup and also meat. Each one took their own serving quietly�" no one seems to harbor interest of leisure talks. That is, until Thomas starts bombarding questions to Alma.

"Hey, Alma." he began.

"Earlier today, when we met Mr. Blautiel for the first time, you called yourself an

entirely different name."

The tone sounded absent of question mark, so Alma nods it off while tending to his

generous portion of salad. "So... Was it also one of your aliases?" Thomas pressed on.

"Um..." Alma mulled his voice which seems hesitant to come out.

But with eyes went all over, he gave in to answer truthfully.

"It is my actual name." he marks the beginning of his story.

"I am an orphan taken by Myriad's Ophanim Academy after a disaster struck my village.

My birth name is Cestria. Ebraldi, bestowed by His Holiness Ravn Cahali-Zemin, in

Holiner ancient language means 'Radiant Mind'."

 

"What? So, you're like, the King's favorite boy?" Jadel chomps at his food.

"Not at all..." Alma shook his head.

"This golden boy happened to be found in the same day as I was..." he continued.

“His Halfling blood proves difficulty of acceptance even from his own parents...

He was abandoned right after birth."

"That's cruel! How could a parent do such thing?!" Thomas frowns.

"He's no human and neither Holiner. It is how most people react, son." Banri replies

sternly, and continues. "So, this Halfling was your childhood friend?"

 

"Yes." Alma nodded.

"He is Blythe Neredzīe, the current Chancellor to His Holiness Ölver Cahali-Zemin, the

only son of Ravn Cahali-Zemin."

Everyone nods obediently as he told the reason he went away from the town and

people who raised him.

"Blythe was my only friend. Despite his popularity, he rarely brought it up when we're

together. In the Academy, we're both rivals at the same time."

"Let me guess." Jadel cut him off.

"Both of you enrolled as Archbishop Candidate, and things got wacky after 'dat?"

 

Alma looked away. "I... If I stayed there, I would be only a hindrance for Blythe."

"So you left Myriad?" Thomas asks.

"Yes. After that, I wandered for a while until I got into Naino."

"I recall Tiriaq said something about you losing memories." Banri said.

"Did anything happen on the way?"

"Oh, no, not particularly. That might be the effect of walking days long without proper

food and hydration." Alma smiled sheepishly.

"Then, your name Alma is...?" Thomas asks another one.

"It was given by King of Vanadeus himself after taking me under his wing as the

Princess' tutor. Taken from the Book Almagest which he said to have read along his

voyage trip."

 

"Huh, well that's great." Jadel took another meat slab.

"Then why the top brass didn't give exception to you? Ya could've ask for permission

so we can enter Ancient Library!"

"...Did you forgot his 'Archbishop' privilege has expired six years ago?" Hameda

nudged.

"Well, that's right... But, can't you?"

Alma shook his head again. "Blythe saw me no more of an equal Ophanim. I am mere

commoner to his eyes now, unworthy to tread the sacred library."

"What a let-off..." Jadel sighed. "Right, Rei?"

As before, the red-haired girl only gave short response. "Yeah." she nodded before

going back to finish her meal.

"I'm done." Reita stood up, carrying her dish downstairs without another word.

 

"What the heck? She's too quiet! It's suspicious, yessir!" Jadel rambled to Banri.

"I think so too..." the older man sighed, "...but it won't help to press her issue.

Right now, we should be worried of any other way to enter Ancient Library.

Hey, I didn't volunteer as your guide for nothing!" he grinned.

"I say we go over to Blautiel again tomorrow." Hameda proposed.

"He have seen us sneaking around, there is little point for us beating around the bush."

"Agree." Alma nodded. "We should tread the safest route possible."

 

Hameda's silence was broken by words from Banri. The bearded man slips out a pack of cigarette, which quite uncanny�" it frowns him; when did he have himself one? Along their journey, no one seems to have taken a liking to cigar smoke.

 

Banri smiles sheepishly, saying "I've been doing this in secret, don't wanna ruin

anyone's life."

Hameda backs off, giving the man a room to light his stick.

"Sorry, you don’t smoke?"

"No, I've quit." A wide spark of surprise lifts Banri's eyebrow.

"You were a smoker?"

"A chain smoker, to be honest. Back then in my sailing days."

"Ohh... Yeah, you told us of helping your uncle selling goods overseas!"

Hameda nods shortly.

"Man... I wish I can quit, too, but my mouth feels dry without these lil' babies!" Banri

tries to force a laugh.

 

"Being in this group, maybe it'll come true someday. Little Miss hates smoke more

than anything, we've got one minor and another whose body is in fragile state."

This time, Hameda raises an eyebrow instead.

"I'm talking about Alma." Banri blinks, thinking that story must've been broad already.

"He didn't tell you?"

"...No." Hameda replies.

"Well, he spoke things about his parents involved in shady business, resulting his

sickness from birth."

"He told you all that?"

 

"What? You suspect me of digging someone's secret anonymously?" Banri sneers a

mocking smile.

"Given your specialty..."

The older man chuckles quite a while, before fall silent again. "Little Miss is still mad

at him, huh?"

"...Rei?" Hameda asks idly.

"Didn't you see her eyes when she jabbed him?! It's pure resentment!"

"I'm not a fan of snooping people's issue."

"Me neither!" Banri defends his view.

 

"...Do you think she likes him?" Hameda's blunt reply almost blow Banri's laugh to the

point of waking the entire city.

The older man fends his breath vexingly, "Don't tell me you just realized that!"

"...Not that type of 'like', I guess..." Now the tall man frowns deep.

"Wait, what? Do I smell jealousy? Hmm?" Banri nudges him several times.

"Why would I?" Hameda sighs. "At any rate, you'd better not snoop around too much.

Everybody has things they want to keep for themselves."

"I know that!" Banri inhales deeply; his cigarette is slightly burnt as the orange gleam

fades.

 

"...I feel for him, too. If I were him, I'd be devastated to leave someone I cared so

much..." his head hangs low.

"...Reminds you of someone?" Hameda couldn't help to feel his curiosity peaks from

its threshold.

"My deceased wife." Banri smiles sourly. "Alma and that woman of his in Naino,

reminds me of our newlywed days."

"Oh..."

"Who wouldn't give everything else up for that fleeting, yet tempting bliss?" Banri

nods profusely. "Perhaps it would have been better if Alma stayed behind, out from

this dangerous journey."

"...He came back." Hameda denies. "That only means he's to be with us."

"Yeah..." Banri finishes his cigarette, tucking the leftover to the veranda's wooden

paling. "Hopefully, those two will make up soon..."

"You're being a worry-wart." Hameda smirks.

"Why don't you sit down and enjoy the drink."


---------------------------------------------------------


Morning came faster than anyone predict it would. The sun rises again, only to be rivaled by cuckoo's calling blares throughout the city. People starts their routine early; this is also one of the day they won't miss: the day when Ophanim send carts of medicinal herbs. Women and children have long started their line-up in front of the city plaza, where the sky lift tubes are built. Most merchant also delayed their shop opening for this rare chance; these medicines could do well�" either for themselves or to be sold among Isfel residents.

The team had their breakfast flash as they saw mass of men flooded the entire city�"they wonder what occurrence happen that almost everyone left their houses and queued neatly in winding lines. The line have reached until the middle to lower part of Isfel! Everybody asks around for this occurrence and found a familiar person just got their share of medicines.

 

"Oh! It's the gate guard." Thomas points at one soldier carrying wooden boxes.

The team looks forward, it is the gate guard! The one whose smirk so smug, his

attitude bluffs as if he was the captain.

"O- Oh, it's you guys..." he smiles sourly, maintaining a defensive stance.

”W- What do you want?"

"No need to fret, we're not gonna rob you." Banri sneers. "What is it you're carrying?

And what's with this line-up?"

"Tch, meddlesome outsider..." he spat. “Today is ration day."

"Ration day? Ya get free foods?" Jadel joins the questioning.

"Not foods, medicine! For the Holy Scab!"

 

Everyone could see the soldier looks flustered. "Oh... I see. Sorry." Banri nods.

"You don't seem to manifest the symptoms, though?"

"It's for my friends in the barrack." As the soldier answer, Thomas' mind lit.

"Barrack? So there's barrack for Seraphim army here??" he begins shooting more

questions. "Have you seen my brother there? Ariad Kalewill??"

The soldier frowns and shook his head. "No, I haven't heard any 'Ariad'!" he answers

with similar notion like first time he did.

"Please, Sir! Any info would be just fine! I'm looking for�"" Thomas' words are cut

short. The soldier, annoyed, bashed his hand.

"I told you ain't know any Ariad! Get out of my way!" he trots and disappeared into

The crowd.

Thomas' eyes becomes gloom. "Oh..." he sighs.

 

Before anyone else react, another woman pass by and whispered.

Her tone, though, sounds more meddlesome than helpful�" if any.

"Psst. Hey, you guys are looking for Ariad?" she says.

"Auntie! Do you know my brother?! Please, tell me where he is!" Thomas practically

on his knees now, begging the woman by feet.

"Who wouldn't know him, really? He's quite famous here!"

"...I don't like the sound of that. What do you mean?" Hameda replies.

"Ah, so you don't know? Listen, here... It's just between us, okay!" she whispers,

leaning her body forward. The rest of the team do so, nodding profusely.

 

"The thing is, you know, he's responsible for this plague!" Her words struck

Thomas head-first. His blond, wavy hair sends chill on his spine as the boy stood

back up. His sky blue eyes glints in terror, also dawning realization. "Brother...?"

"Yes, yes!" the woman nods again.

"And you know what? There's no one thinking the same as I do! For Pete's sake, really!

The truth is broad in daylight�" a man recruited for soldier having dark spots on his

face!" the woman shivers.

"Thereafter, some of his friends started showing symptoms of the Holy Scab.

Before we all know it, the plague is everywhere! Really, he shouldn't have come

here!"

 

Everybody can only look to each other's eyes hearing the woman rambling goes

endlessly. Hameda glances over to Thomas, reassuring him with a firm nod.

"But, you know..." the woman holds her own wooden box,

"It won't be fair if we blame everything to him, too. Right now, this is not only his

problem�" it's ours." Her comment relieves Thomas; he sighs off his burden.

"Now, you told me earlier you're his little brother?"

"Yes, Auntie! I am his younger sibling, Thomas Kalewill!"

"That's weird, he never mentioned of any relatives since coming here. Oh well!" the

woman smiles a heartfelt grin. "His resident is just six blocks away from the barrack.

It is a bit of slum, though, and I advise y'all take some meds before going there!"

 

"W- What medicine do we need?"

The woman opens her wooden box, taking out one sheet containing a handful of pills.

"Here you go." she sent it to Thomas' hands.

"Auntie...! But, is it okay?"

"It's alright. I know very well how it feels to lost someone dear." her smiles are wide,

yet it feels hallow. "Take them one each for person, it should prevent the plague from

entering your body. Well then, I should be hurry home, too!" With that, she bids

farewell and into the fastening crowds.

 

The team took the pill, as the woman suggests. It tastes a bit bland, if not too gritty to

be called pill�" more like, solid powder.

"...What now?" Jadel has his eyes still following the woman, even between the mass

of crowds. Before he turns around, though, Thomas has sped off against everyone's

sight. "...Hey!" he gasps. "Midget runt!!"

"Wait, Thomas!" Alma voices his shock too.

"Hold yer f*****g arse! Midget runt!!" Jadel sped off also, into the crowds, followed

by the rest of the team.

 

Thomas ran his feet straight into the direction mentioned earlier, unbiased by mass outbreak of human line-ups. He shifts left and right, aptly with his small stature, gaining momentum against his friends who are far behind. I have to see Brother! His mind races. Finally after all the search he has done, Thomas is about to meet his only family member, tied by blood, left in this world. His friend shouts, calls for him and yell�" none of them means an ounce of grain now. Thomas sped again, until he arrives at the specified area.

 

"Brat!" Jadel roars as he saw Thomas' figure, landing a hard slap to his head.

"What were you thinking?!" he gasps for breath after all those sprints. The other soon

follows. While they doesn't whack the young man for his brash action, eyes are all

unto him, glaring mercilessly.

"You..." Banri huffed. "...Don't... make me… run like that… again!”

Hameda pats the older man's back, relieving him from his wheeze. "Tom." he shook

his head quietly, a simple gesture of disapproval even Thomas know of.

"I- I'm sorry..."

"At any rate, it is good that we have arrived where your brother might be." Alma tries

to lighten the situation, as always. Reita nods along, agreeing even she doesn't have

anything to omit.

 

"His residence should be around here..." Thomas looks around, then his eyes caught

something�" a man wearing lush clothes, accepting a pair of wooden boxes from his

female neighbor.

"Here are your shares, Ariad. Take the usual dose." the female spells a name so

familiar, Thomas had shouted before his brain process it. "Brother!!!" he yells.

Surprised, the man turns around to see�" nothing.

His face leans to every direction, trying to discover that familiar voice, calling out to

him.

 

"Brother! It's me!!" Thomas runs to him.

"That's his bro?" Jadel leans to Hameda. "Why is he lookin’ around? We’re here!"

Hameda nods. The discrepancies are too wide; the young man has dark brown hair

and eyes of similar color, although upon closer inspection they're a bit cloudy.

The female realizes Thomas' incoming, asking him whether he knows the man.

"Are you an acquaintance of Ariad?"

Thomas inhales, then let it all out. "I'm his brother!" the man carrying wooden boxes

flinched. His hand travels to the woman's, as if looking for a supporting grip.

 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know..." the woman bows apologetically.

“He never mentions anyone as his relative, so..." Thomas ignores her, still trying to

make something out from his dear brother.

"Brother, please say something! I know it's you! Do you remember me?! You do, don't

you?!!" his voice sounds desperate.

Hameda steps over, preventing Thomas from spooking the poor man who still clings

to his neighbor like a lost lamb. "Tom. Wait." he explains.

 

"...Ariad Kalewill?" Upon Hameda's words, he opens his mouth, trying to omit some

words... But none come up. He gasps, then tries again. He jots some veins up, giving

more pressure to the throat�" only a scarce, creaking voice came out.

It's not even louder than a whisper, so quiet and abhorred from any tone. "Y... es..."

Hameda narrows his eyes: there is something wrong. He notices the man still clings to

his neighbor, so he asks her. "His eyes..."

The neighboring woman nods quietly, then offer everyone to talk further in her house.

Thomas gapes his mouth as everybody else walks off, still trying to mount himself

upon the terrible condition of his brother.

 

"Thomas?" Alma calls out, but he doesn't budge.

The calm man let out a kind smile as he taps Thomas' shoulder. "Thomas. Are you

alright?"

"I'm... not okay." Thomas admits. "Brother is... Brother is!" he cringes, face full of

worrisome terror splayed across.

"Thomas, it would be better if we hear her out... You can ask her about your brother.

In order to do that, we have to go to her residence..." Alma calmly explains.

"Yeah... You're right. Let's go..." The young man nods.

 

Inside the disheveled house, the woman introduces herself as Jeena Fallow, a native. She tends gently to Ariad, helping him to sit down. The older man now sat absent-mindedly on the cold floor�" only patched with thin carpet. He leaned half-shoulder to the window panes, body slouching with no vigor comes of it. His mouth gapes several times, arching for words which refuses to come out.

 

"I'm sorry, you saw us like this..." Jeena begins.

"I have been taking care of Ariad these past few months."

"My brother... What happened to him?!" Thomas jots again.

"The Holy Scab plague, isn't it...?" Banri tries to guess, and the woman nods.

"Yes. His condition has gone worse... He might not be able to see clearly and speak

properly, but he can hear you quite well." Jeena forces a smile. Induced by the dire

condition, Reita raise her words.

"Ms. Jeena, is there something we can do to help him regain his vision?

At least, enough for him to see Thomas."

 

"I'm afraid there is nothing we can do..." Jeena sighs.

"So far, no medication has been proved to cure Holy Scab entirely. The ones we've got

from the Ophanim works by slowing the process."

"What are the symptoms of this plague?" Banri asks.

"At first," Jeena explains. "The person will get a high fever for two or three days. Then

dark, pigmented spots will begin to spread on their body. If it's left untreated, it will

damage their senses."

"In his case, it's vision and speech, huh..." Banri mulls his breath.

 

"Yes, but many has it worse..." Jeena explains. "My sister passed away from the scabs

ruining her ability to breathe."

"It got her lungs?" Banri frowns.

"It seems so... No one would perform postmortem autopsy because the high risk of

infection."

"M- My brother..." Thomas stutters. "H- He won't... He won't die, right...? Right,

brother??" he reaches out to Ariad whose mouth, again, gapes open.

"Brother! Please, say something!" he begs.

Hameda tries to calm him down. "Pipe down, Tom. Don't pressure him."

 

"I didn't!" Thomas lashes back, much to the tall man's surprise.

"He's my brother! I've waited too long for this!" then he leapt to Ariad's side, shaking

his body aggravatingly. "Brother, wake up! It's me, Thomas! Please, say something!"

"Thomas, stop...!" Banri reaches out to him, but Jadel went in first.

He reeled Thomas back, giving him a hard knock to the head. "You moron!! Take it

easy! He's in that state, man!"

Thomas felt his breath ahold. "But...!" he whines pitifully.

"I know heck so well you wanna see him, but give him some space!”

"I know...! I know... But...!"

"Tom. Here." Hameda reels him back. "Sit down. We'll talk this slowly."

 

Jeena then proceeds to tell the team about Ariad's first arrival. He came here around two or three years ago, with the Isfel and Divum Stratum have already established. Seeking fame and fortune as newly recruited Seraphim Soldier, Ariad then was stationed on the Sixth Sect whose barrack is located just beyond. His only failure, keeping him from reaching Captain Rank was his health checkups. The doctor found out he has contracted a foreign disease, so he was sent away to the lower city.

With no fastidious rank, Ariad settled down in one of many residences arranged for soldiers. While he lived his days, he met Jeena's older sister, Yuma. They became quite well-acquaintance, later deciding to set a marriage date. Alas, days before it is announced to their friends, Yuma fell sick. Her symptoms are the ones similar which Ariad displays. The town doctor fails to concur the cause; leading to Yuma's early death, hers marked the start of Holy Scab plague within Isfel city.

More people caught the plague, Ariad's condition took the worse until he is no more viable for work duty. He has to retire, away from the barrack to minimize contamination, now taken care by Yuma's younger sister, Jeena. The team could only nod as Jeena spells it all out. Along the talk, suddenly Ariad flashes his hand towards Thomas. He seemly wants to reach something of the blond man, mouth gaping anxiously.

 

"Ariad? Is something wrong?" Jeena tries to bend him back down, but he struggles and

reaches to Thomas side.

"S... wo... rd..." he put all of his strength to omit that one word.

"Sword? Did he just say sword?" Banri looks to Jadel who shrugs in confusion.

"S... wo... rd..." Ariad repeats.

"Brother! So you remember this...!" Obnoxiously, Thomas unsheathed his Zircon Edge,

much to everyone's dismay.

"Ey, ey! Put that out!" Jadel winces away from the pointy tip.

"Tom!" Hameda scowls angrily.

 

"Yes... You remembered this, right? The sword you gave to me... You remembered!"

"Kill… me…” he rasps. “Just… a… bur… den… Jee… na…”

“No! Ariad!!" Jeena shrieks as Ariad lunges forward, to Thomas who holds the sword

still to its pointy end. The team follow suit, shrieks battered the creviced wall.

 

Thomas closes both eyes, trying to stop his brother's unprecedented movement. Then a slit sound of opened wound stir the air. As everybody else opened their eyes, they saw Thomas' palm grabs Ariad's hand, blood running red crimson. From his bleeding palm, blood splattered a bit into Ariad’s eyes. The man blinks rapidly, trying to dispel the blood seeping into his cornea.

 

"Brother! Y- Your eyes!!" Thomas frantically trying to help him, but Ariad bend

downwards, writhing sound oozes from his dry mouth.

"Brother!!!" Thomas leapt to him.

"What the heck, man?!" Jadel revels his panic voice. “Don’t tell me he’s gonna kill

himself just now?!”

"Don't ask me… Like hell I know!" Banri stills his eyes. Jeena looks flustered,

unsure what to respond. Moments later, Ariad looks up.

His eyes, oddly, seems deficit of the grayish substance seen earlier.

He blinks several times, then a smile forms wide. "T... o… ma... sh...!" he lunges and

hug Thomas.

 

The blond man, though still left speechless, returned the hug.

"Brother...? You... You can see me now?!"

"Ye... s...!" Ariad nods profusely.

"Brother! Oh, brother!" Thomas bawls again, this time he vents happy tears.

"Wait, how come?!" Jadel clicks his tongue. “Why did he suddenly heal?”

"Don't tell me... He's recovered with Thomas' blood?" Alma looks to Hameda who

nods it all. "Probably so."

 

"Why...? How...?" Jeena still mending her lost words.

"Hm. It worth a try." Hameda mumbles, then call Thomas.

"Tom, let him drink some of your blood."

"Huh?! Why?!" Banri arches his eyebrow high.

"That's freaky!!" Jadel follows.

Thomas looks to Hameda, waiting for plausible explanation for his mad proposal.

"You saw it too. Your blood spilled into his eyes, brought back his vision..."

"Oh!!" Thomas nods firmly. "Brother!"

Ariad nods too, strongly suggest his sibling to do so.

Thus, Thomas spilled some of his blood and let Ariad drink it.

 

Moments later, he tries to let out more sound from his throat. "A, a... A... Aaa..." he

begin.

"Whoa, crap! It works!!" Jadel tousled his hair. "What in blazes?!"

"Aa… Aaaa... Ar... Aria...d." Everyone watches in marvel seeing Ariad spells his name

in successive tone. "Tho... mas..." he points at Thomas’ direction.

"Brother..." Thomas blinks several times.

"Thomas. Jee... Na." he turns to the woman. Jeena covers her mouth, tears also flows

down from her eyes.

"Ariad! You... You're back...!"

"Thomas. Jeena. Everyone..." Ariad smiles widely.

 

For a while, everybody sits in silence as Thomas exchanges deep hug with Ariad. Jeena serves tea and some snacks to her guest: a grain cracker, salted with spice. She smiles in relieve seeing Ariad is now back, miraculously, reunited with his sibling. The two chats merrily, expressing their longing to see each other after being separated for many years.

 

"Everyone, thank you." Ariad says, after finished his chat with Thomas.

The man still has to speak slowly so all words he omitted came out clear, but he's

improving as time goes.

"Thomas. I’m sorry to freak you out. Actually, there is something I want you to know.

Now." he underlines the last part. Everyone eyed each other, knowing this will be

another big turn of event.

"I'm listening." Thomas nods firmly.

"Thomas, actually, we're not blood-related brothers." The team broke into hectic

response, each other envoys a huge What? on their heads.

 

Thomas and Jeena, though, seems calm and collected.

"...So it seems. It has been on my mind, the reason my hair and eye color differs from

you, Brother." Thomas smiles meekly.

Ariad shook his head, "I’m sorry for not telling you this earlier, Thomas. But what I

want to tell you is, that, you're a Halfling."

This time, another commotion broke. Thomas and Jeena joins along, raising

a big What on their heads.

"What the eff?! A Halfling? This midget, shrimpy runt is?!!" Jadel blows off.

"Tell us more." Hameda eagerly leans forward.

"I will." Ariad nods, before begin with his long story that takes the team almost two

hours in Jeena's house.

 

One day around the storm days, a woman was seen aboard on a tiny boat. The woods have started to wail, engrossed by the stinging salt water. As the boat arrived, at one particular fishing village, Ariad's father was just finished hauling his catch today. He was about to visit his belated wife's grave, when a pained voice calls out.

Help, the voice said. Ariad's father wasted no more breath. He chased the voice and eventually found a woman laying by her back, belly rounded big as summer gourds. He knew she is about to give birth anytime soon, so he carried the woman, back to his home and told Ariad�" at that time already eleven�" to watch over her while he went off to look for help. Little Ariad tried to ease the woman's pain by telling his story; how his mother passed away during his tender age due to malicious storm robbing her boat (and her life). Only his father came back; broken to tears while explaining all of it to young Ariad.

 

The woman, introduced herself as Prisca, soon gave birth to a healthy baby boy, hair oddly colored blond�" a blond so pale someone might mistook it for precious golden silk thread. Ariad and his father agreed to the woman's proposal, naming the baby Thomas. Prisca then decided to stay on this village. She, then, told her story about being on a boat which caught up with deadly storm and she's the only survivor managed to escape. Her stay provide comfort both to Ariad and his father so that both agreed while the father asks her hand into a second marriage.

Young Thomas grew into a healthy boy whose smile overlaps sunshine. He is quite fond of Ariad, often pestering to take him into the ocean as his brother went fishing. His learning capability exceeds those around his age; at five he's already able to unwind fishing net aptly, navigating small boat and climb the highest palm tree to retrieve dozens of its fruit. Even Ariad and his father were at loss of what else to teach him after Thomas hit his eighth birthday. At that time, he was as skilled as senior fishermen there, capable of substituting their daily work with increment of catch. Due to exposure to constant sunlight, Thomas’ pale hair and complexion slowly churns deep like his people, up to the point he’s no more retaining his Halfling appearance.

 

Prisca once told Ariad of the reason why she went all by herself on that small boat. Of course, she talked this over when Thomas is playing outside. She spoke of her marriage with a Holiner descendant, whose family demonizes her. Even so, both insisted on the marriage. Weeks after the wedding, she was positive. Her husband's family broke into hellish outrage, saying she have tainted their royal lineage with incoming of a mixed blood.

She was cast off from the house, before long from the city. Her husband decides to take her wife aboard to Myriad where his close friend might offer them a shelter. Though, in the process, the boat they rode got sucked into a vicious storm and all crew were lost. Many tried to abandon the ship, few succeeded. Her husband gave his last effort to cast off a small boat for two; but before he could step inside, gusts blew his landing. Her husband flew straight into the storm's eye, leaving her all alone in the boat�" later it drifts to the fishing village.

 

One day, a merchant ship set anchor to Thomas’ village. Ariad, at that time aged nineteen, met an elderly man of peculiar feature. His greying hair flickers upon the sunlight, almost like Thomas' golden strands. He also asks whether Ariad had seen a pregnant woman or not, but before he answered, the peculiar man cancelled the topic. Instead, he offered Ariad if he wants to learn some martial skills. The man taught Ariad, in his brief stay, basic training he should undergo should he wants to hone the skill.

Later, the man also bestowed Ariad with his Zircon Edge. Forged from pure Zircon, a rare mineral found only on deepest cave, heartened eons under the greenest soil possible 'til embedded in serene green. Without explaining where he obtained it, or anything else�" his ship, along with the merchant sailed back, said soon comes storm which would delay their shipment. Young Ariad is left behind with his newfound interest, which soon he took a better liking than his job. Along with his story, Ariad slips his own theory of the peculiar merchant might be Thomas’ biological father who came by looking for his wife. The rest of the story is one Thomas remembered clearly: the plague, everyone's death (also his parents’), and Ariad's act of sneaking both into a nearby merchant ship.

 

"You... You speak the truth?" Banri seems to be gazing idly on the dusty window.

"I am." Ariad nods firmly. "Thomas... I'm sorry for keeping these all from you. Also for

leaving you alone on that ship… Without even saying goodbye."

"No, it's alright. We're back together now, brother..." the blond young man seems to

have calmed down. "So you're saying, my father has a friend here in Myriad?"

"Mother told us so." Ariad explains. "But never did she mention the name."

"Dude, why the heck ya joined the Seraphim, anyway?" Jadel blurts out of

blue. "Didn’t you know they’re just potentially dangerous as the HOUNDS?"

"Jadel, that's not very nice." Alma reprimands him.

 

"It's alright... Jadel, wasn't it? My purpose coming to Myriad is to search for his father's

close friend." he tousled Thomas' hair gently.

"Back then, I thought not a matter of my sickness, or about the army’s true purpose.

All I've thought was to get my brother a proper home." he smiles bitterly.

"Though, I didn't expect he would meet you all. Thank you, everyone, for being huge

support for my brother." Thomas blushes slightly, smiling ear to ear.

"According to some books I have read," Alma suddenly interjects.

"Holiner race is bestowed by prudent ability of regeneration due to their unique blood.

Such feat might also applicable to those who carry their blood, even just half of it..."

"...So that’s why Thomas' blood cured your illness." Jeena nods along.

 

"Ariad, if this is true, then..."

Jadel frowns, knowing her next words won't be an easy turn.

"Whoa, wait there, woman! Ya don't go suggesting weird stuffs to midget runt here!"

he spoke in harsh, yet protective tone.

"I- I'm sorry! It's just..." Jeena sighs. "His blood might be the only hope we need..."

"Not a chance! There’s no way we’ll let you drain his blood to cure the entire city!”

Jadel growls.

"Calm down. Jeena was just suggesting." Reita taps his back.

 

"...I have to meet him..." Thomas mumbles.

"Tom, is something wrong?" Hameda leans to him.

"I have to meet him...! Father's close friend! I can ask about Holy Scab cure from him!"

Before anyone could do anything, again, Thomas sped off outside in Mach speed.

"Tom!!" Hameda rattles. "Drat, he's gone already!"

"A cure…? He might be planning to go to the upper city!" Ariad tries to stand up, but

he seems a bit wobbly.

"Ariad, no! Don't push yourself..." Jeena opt him to sit back down, which he refuses.

"No...! I have to... get him back! They will detain him if I don’t go…"

 

"Leave this to us." Jadel grins, then gave Ariad's shoulder a friendly fist.

"That midget runt won't do anything outta the line."

"True. We know he’s energetic to a fault but he’s no fool.” Banri let out a mocking sigh.

"Let's go, shall we?"

"Please excuse us, Miss Fallow, Mr. Kalewill. We will definitely bring Thomas back here,

rest assured." Alma bids his farewell.

"My little brother has such good friends..." Ariad chuckles heartily.

"Take care of him for me."

"Will do. Jeena, make sure he rest a plenty, okay?" Reita says.

"I will! Be careful, everyone!" Jeena's words rang as the team sped to follow Thomas,

whom without anybody noticing, had already gone inside the packed sky lift full of

Seraphim Soldiers.


----------------------------------------------------------


Sun has been high for a while now. The line-up from earlier have recedes quite a whole lot; there are only few left, still waiting to receive their share of medicinal rations. The team sped off to the square, eyeing every possibility of catching Thomas' figure along the way. Banri led the front, followed by Alma, Hameda and Jadel. As if their running speed isn't enough deterring for Reita, she seems to lose her breathing pace whilst trying to accelerate herself.

 

"Oy, Rei! Hurry it up!" Jadel calls for her.

"You... You go first! I... will catch up... soon!" she bates for breath, sweat drizzling to

neck veins. She curses herself for not going fast like she hoped her feet would.

Across, Alma seems to be concerned with her condition, so he backs off few steps.

"Miss Reita." he calls. "Are you alright? You seems out of breath."

Reita only snarls as her response, eyes trying to chase off unpleasant memories

lingering on back of her head.

 

Everyone's fear came to light as they approaches the square where the sky lift is. One Seraphim Soldier seems in a hurry stuffing himself into the lift, saying there was an intruder sneaking into one of the groups going upwards. That must have been Thomas, everybody nods to each other. They decides to ask the guard about it. He said the boy slipped through the security due to his small stature, so no one noticed he was inside the lift with all the soldiers. That is, until the lift arrives, everyone coming out and left him inside. The guards starts to suspect him as one of the slum denizens trying to sabotage Divum residents. They sent words to their comrade below, sending what exactly transpires on their mind.

 

"This is bad. They will jail him if he’s found out!" Banri hisses.

"That’s why we’re here!" Jadel then said to the guard, "Hey, let us in this thing."

Of course, the guard would not steep to such request. "Who are you people?" his

defensive stance shows.

"Ey, we're not suspicious people. One of our 'mate wanders himself to the top layer.

We're here to get him back." he shrugs.

 

The guard then realizes he might be standing in front of more suspicious group whose

friend tries to sabotage Divum residents. He shouts frantically to his friend,

"Alert! Suspicious group found!"

Seconds later, the team is surrounded by Seraphim soldiers with their swords

unsheathed, ready to blow some veins off.

"Wait, wait! We're not suspicious people! We came here to get our friend back!" Banri

tries to reason.

"Quiet! Your friend sneaked into the lift, yeah? He might be one of those recent

terrorist!" the guard denies Banri's plea.

 

"Gaargh! Why it always comes to this?!" in reflex, Jadel also unsheathed Mörs, making

the guards more alerted.

"Put that back!" one of them warned. "We've got you surrounded!"

"Jadel!" Hameda scolds him.

"Doesn't look like we can get off without busting our way through!" the advice has

fallen deaf ears against Jadel.

"Put that back!!" the guard yells again. Irked, Jadel lost his temper and shouts.

"Ya wanna get some?! C'mere, headless chickens!!"

 

"Jadel... Oh!" Before Reita could scold him also, a sword flows straight to her.

She leapt backwards and in reflex, unsheathes the Varunastra.

"Hey! Cut it out!" she fend the sword with one blade. The metallic noise triggers the

soldiers, they start rushing forward.

"Blast it! This is your fault, snotty brat!" Banri grits his teeth, evading the attacks.

Hameda straight ahead deflects the sword using his gauntlet, rendering five at once

weaponless. "Stop it! We don't want to fight you." he argues.

"Shut up! Men, detain them!!" the soldier shouts to his pack.

 

Suddenly, a white glow emits from Alma's magic spear. He erects a protective barrier surrounding his group, rendering any attack from outside useless. The Seraphim soldiers backs off, mouth hanging in awe seeing his magic works, sheathing their swords involuntarily.

 

"Everyone, stop this!!" he shouts. This is also one rare sight seeing Alma raising his

voice. "We're not here to fight! Please, listen! One of our friends have strayed into

Divum Stratum. All we want is his safe return. In order to do that, can we ask your

assistance? Please let us ride the sky lift!" he explains in detail.

The soldiers didn't budge, they seem to be still in mute mode seeing how surreal the

barrier looks. From behind, suddenly�" "Marvelous." a voice was heard.

"So that's the holy magic, Barrier."

 

The team looks around. So does the Seraphim soldiers. "Commander Blautiel!"

everybody shouts in unison.

The man walks silently, serene yet orderly aura emanates from his endearing steps.

"Holy magic is classified as high-rank magic." he says,

"Only few chosen people are able to utilize them. Even most Ophanim Academy's

graduates didn't show signs of compatibility with it."

"Hey, jerk! Tell yer men to back off!" Jadel shouts from within the barrier.

"Of course. Where are my manner?" Blautiel smiles muzzily. "Men. Stand down."

 

With one gesture, the soldiers obeyed, trashing their swords back to sheath. Alma follows suit by desisting his magic off. The barrier permeates, leaving the team bared open to fresh air.

 

"I have always admire those who able to upstand such marvelous talent." Blautiel

smirks. "I apologize for my men's behavior. You have to, since there is indeed,

suspicious guest said to be lurking around Divum Stratum."

"That's Thomas! Where is he...? Is he okay?" Banri asks several questions at once.

"I was about to affirm by my own eyes. If you don't mind, I can take you there."

"Really?! Wow, that's a relief! Let's go, guys!" Post-haste, Jadel enters the lift.

He waves cheerily, telling others to hurry up. Blautiel pressed his fingerprints on the

sensor. The light went into bright yellow from dull black.

"I have activated the lift." he says, "Go on without me."

 

Door is closed and the lift goes up. Blautiel watched a bit as it rides up, before rallying

another order to his men. "Order from the Chancellor, alert scale three. The Orb grows

more violent, and there are signs of HOUNDS on Isfel."

"Is that true, Commander?" one of the guards seem to take a hard time digressing the

situation.

"Affirmative. Your attention shall focus on driving the HOUNDS without causing a

scene and double the security around His Holiness' palace."

 

Top layer, Divum Stratum. Thomas is finally free from the chase of persistent Seraphim. He stops a bit to catch his breath, back pressing against a majestic stone statue of what seemingly exalted figure. On its standing there is a name plate, scribbled in platinum dressing: ‘Gilthar, God of Knowledge and Wisdom’. Thomas remembers Blautiel explained of Myriad's two Gods: Gilthar and Zarmesiton, who are actually the founding fathers.

Sweating from all those running, Thomas decides to sit down under the statue's shade. I have to meet Father's close friend, he mutters. He might know the cure to Holy Scab! I don't mind if he take some of my blood for samples. Sweat rolls over his wide forehead. Thomas thought of today's turn of event: meeting his long-lost brother, finding out he’s Halfling and that his blood cured Holy Scab's symptoms. The blond man exhales long and deep, rubbing palm of his thumb to one eye.

He seems tired and just about to doze off, when he heard voices nearby. Gasping, Thomas shrinks and hope he won't be noticed. He crouches low under the shade while listening closely to the voices.

 

"Hey, did you hear?" It sounds like a woman's.

She's young, Thomas nods while seeing her through the statue's crevice.

Wearing a thematic clothes like a nun's, the woman walks leisurely with her friend

whose stature a bit taller. "What? What happened?" The tall woman leans curiously.

"Another Seer have died!"

"No way! For real?!" the tall woman shrieks a bit.

"Sssh! Not so loud." her friend put a finger on her lips.

"They said she was worn-out from endless work day and night!"

"Is... The condition that bad?" the tall woman began biting her fingernail.

"The orb... The orb is going to kill them all..."

 

"No, calm down. Listen..." her friend reassures with a smile.

"Lord Chancellor has requested for another scouts. We will triumph! There's no way

that small orb will be our demise!" she nods cheerfully.

"But, is that true the orb contains the Old God?" the tall woman cringes.

"What? No way! Do you actually believe that myth?"

"That's no myth! I saw it with my own eyes!" the tall woman argues again.

"That time, when I was at my shift... That orb, it glows eerily! Then I saw it...!"

"You... saw what...?" her friend became more curious, and so does Thomas whose ears

now practically latched on the statue.

 

"A man... No, a figure... riding a horned beast, has wings more than a pair..." The tall

woman's body shudders.

"The figure shone in the same color as the orb... Green... Like a hurricane swiftly

robbing Gaia from its trees."

"What are you talking about? Hey, are you really okay?" her friend sounds concerned.

"I am fine! Listen..." the tall woman continues. "There's no way I'm seeing things.

The more I peer into the orb, the more it reacts violently. Didn't you say yourself, our

spells seems to have less effect on restraining it?!"

"Yeah, but that's because we're not trying enough, and with all of the grating balance

happened across Gaia..."

"That's exactly my thought." the tall woman's voice darken.

"Do you think we're...? Damned? For worshipping another God."

"Sssh! don’t say such thing! What if someone from the Academy overhear you?!" her

hand is tugged by. "Let's go! We'll be late for afternoon recital."

 

Thomas' mind races as both women jogs toward nearby building, going inside it before long. What does that mean? He ponders. No, I have more urgent matter at hand. He stood up. His erratic breath have normalized, the sweat have receded; Thomas nods before setting off. He run towards the Palace, hoping to get information from the largest building he could see. As he sprint, from one alley he had not reckon, a figure spun forward. Loud crash from the collision sent both parties backward.

 

"It hurts! Oh, no! I've been found!" Thomas is about to speed off again, when he saw

a male draped in dim earthy color, crouching with his belongings scattered

everywhere. Thomas felt he's not with the guards chasing him.

"Um, are you okay?" he asks warily. "I'm sorry for crashing into you..."

The man shook his head. He seems young; but as Thomas noticed his pointed ears and

less-pigmented hair, he nods the possibility the man as Holiner-descendant.

"Are you okay yourself?" the man offers his hand.

 

"I, oh, it's nothing." Thomas jots back up straight away, before helping the man with

his belonging. Then he realizes they are all books�" thick ones, covered in sturdy

leather.

"I have not seen you before. Are you lost, perhaps?" the man grins comically.

Thomas felt his spine giving a sudden chill, suggesting his foot to move away.

"I, uh... I'm looking for someone." he admits. "I'm looking for my father's friend!"

The man nods admitting, "Your father, eh? What's his name?"

The blond man's face fell. Of course, if he knew, he won't be running frantic to all

places. "I... Don't know..." he mutters.

 

"You don't know your father's name? That's new for me." the man nods idly, as if he's

absence from any surprise reaction. "What are you going to do, then?"

Thomas sighs. He's getting nowhere, only causing more trouble for both his team and

his surroundings.

"Wait, what did you got there?" suddenly, the man arches forwards. Thomas thought

he was examining him, but reality check ensures he wasn't�" he's looking at his sword.

"That sword... Could it be the Zircon Edge?!"

Hurriedly, Thomas unsheathe his sword. The man flinches backward as the long blade

points at him. "There is no doubt." his eyes radiates interest on the sword.

 

"This is the Zircon Edge. Son, where did you get it?"

"It was given to me by my brother..."

"Ah. I see. There's no way, right... There's no way..." the man mutters a bit before

nodding. "Right. Sorry to ask you an odd question." he grabs his belonging,

"Excuse me, then. I have to go." he exits the alley and walks toward the library

 Thomas, left alone, seems unsure how to react. He felt like that man earlier could give

him some clue about his father's friend whereabouts, but he's gone now.

"Maybe I'm just imagining things." he shrugs to himself.

 

He continues forward, to the Ancient Library. There, he found two pair of guards guarding both entrance: the one leading to town square and one leading to the library itself. Thomas perches himself in some bushes, plotting how he might enter the library and search for books that might help him answer his questions.

I have to get inside, but how? The guards seems to be in high alert, he thought to himself. Minutes passed by as Thomas kneads over his raw plan, cancelling each one after glancing back at the guards. He knew he won't be standing around for the whole day, but going straight would provoke the guards.

 

"Aah! I have no choice here!" Thomas ruffles his head.

 

There are only two options: Go there or go back. Definitely, he can't go back, not without finding out who he was looking for and the cure for Holy Scab infesting Isfel. Thomas took a deep breath, then braces himself. He sped towards the entrance. The guards quickly notices him.

 

"Hey, you! Who are you?" said one of them. "What are you doing here, boy?"

Thomas grits his teeth: I have to do this! He pumps his calf, then sprints.

He passed the first pair of guard, taking the turn into the library's inner entrance.

"Now for the second one...!" he bit his lips

 "I have to knock them out, there's no choice!" he wait for the right moment, before

jumping out. "I'm sorryyyy!" he shouts while mauling his sword's blunt end.

The first guard took the blow to his head. He kneels over before limping to the ground.

 

Thomas is just about to whack the second one, when he saw the man earlier is talking

to the guard. Three people shrieks, surprised by each one's presence.

"Y- You!" the guard quickly sped to him. "Who are you and why you're here?!"

"Go away! I am looking for someone!" Thomas shouts.

"Yeah? The only one you'll find here is trouble, kid! Now stay on your feet!" the guard

took out his sword.

"Wait a moment, if you would." the man waves his hand. His jaw almost drop seeing

Thomas in that stance; one he's quite familiar of. “We meet again, son.”

 

"That stance..." he rolls his index finger. “I’ve seen it somewhere before."

"W- What?!" Thomas becomes flustered.

"Yes, yes. Now that I think of it, you said your brother gave that sword to you?

Did he also teach that stance?"

"He did." Thomas nods. "What about it? Do... Do you know something?"

The man ignores his desperate tone and asks again. "Where did you brother obtain

them all? The sword, also the skill..." his smile glints of piqued interest.

"He..." Thomas bit his lips. "He got it... From my father."

"Interesting...  Let me see that sword, son." the man reaches his hand.

Thomas hesitates a bit before giving the sword to him.

The man accept his Zircon Edge, carefully examining from tip to its pointy end.

 

His vision stops at one spot near the arching nook on the hilt. "Aah..." the man smiles.

“I know this embroidery well. Actually, this sword was one of my masterpieces."

Thomas' eyes widened. "You... You made this sword?! Then...!" he leans forward.

"I was so smitten by the color of Zircon he brought that day. Rarer than it has been

already... Gleaming color of the earth..." the man seems to be lost within his

reminiscing.

"Mister! Mister, who did you smith this sword for?!" Thomas dredges him out.

"Ah, yes. Pardon my habit of reminiscing." the man smiles.

"Why, I made this sword for your father, of course."

Thomas blinks in disbelief. Did his ear works fine just now?

"This sword, that stance, have proven you're the son of my dear friend, Reuna Hábil".


----------------------------------------------------------


End of Chapter 52!



© 2016 Latifa Rahim


Author's Note

Latifa Rahim
Pardon for the late update! Got a new job and got sick only after enrolled for two weeks lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on November 22, 2016
Last Updated on November 22, 2016
Tags: adventure, book, six, adv, chapter, 52


Author

Latifa Rahim
Latifa Rahim

Bogor, Bogor, Indonesia



About
Newcomer in writing world! Loves sci-fi and adventure as genre. Does drawing, too. more..

Writing