Chapter 57: Tempus Frigus

Chapter 57: Tempus Frigus

A Chapter by Latifa Rahim
"

Upon the descending of Frost Dragon, Reita has to defend herself alone; with almost all refugees have been annihilated...

"

------------------------------------------------------

 

N

inth of Qin Alve, first month of autumn in Gaia. Southport City starts its morning as usual; early and bustling. Although the congealed wind brought dry breeze firsthand, Southport still retains its iconic warmth. Twice the cuckoo calls proved useless as most people has already been out of their beds. In the first day of the week, transit of cargo is made to Southport's harbor. With the news of the fallen Vanadian kingdom has now spread worldwide, faraway town and cities starts giving more concern to their safety. Refinery supply, food and livestock are the main trades, although others like fabric and antiques still holds valuable objective.

Since Dryzan's implementation of new law regarding seaway trade, Southport has once again receive its liberal rights to act as intermediate shipping post. After our main characters cleared most of HOUNDS agents, Gingerbeet and Southport regain their market propulsion to the world. Also, the group’s help of reclaiming West Tunnel give chances to Giovanna the inventor to apply her talents, helping business down at the town. Helped by the fearsome bandit trio, she did more good than harm contrary to the popular belief off their appearances.

 

Dryzan Yates yawns wide, stretching his sore muscles. He has just pulled another all-nighter for the paperwork. Now with his younger sibling gone, his work multiplied significantly. Not only has he had to take his usual portion of signing documents, he also the Mercenary Group to manage, as temporary Guild master. There are also 'scouting team' which his brother usually command as preventive measure of early crime-- now he has to meddle himself onto it. The Mayor feels his wrinkle just go up in numbers as day goes. His grayish eyebrow frowns as he veer to his desk afore.

 

"Just how many more I have to sign..." he moans, scratching his jaw, full of overgrown

stubbles. “I thought last night I have signed more than two days’ worth of work.

This is getting too much."

 

His bleary eyes, tired, glances at an empty coffee cup left with sugar brittles underneath. Those are way too much leftovers for a small dose of espresso, and he knew it too. Being a sweet tooth is never an excuse to overindulge oneself exceeding daily allowance of sugar.

 

"If he sees me like this, he'll flip for sure. That brat is more annoying than Mum was."

his stern jaw forms a relieved chuckle.

 

Dryzan missed his brother, that's one thing he will not deny. For his entire life, they have been together-- growing up, swimming in the river, competing for girls, then running knighthood which drifts them ashore to this city. Resting his back momentarily, Dryzan let his mind wanders. To the time of fate, seventeen years ago: when Banri told him of his most serious-ever love.

Walking straight to when he was occupied with strategy to subdue the savages, Banri said, he had a confession to make. The older sibling, seems to think this was merely another jest from the Robin, shrugs idly. Tomorrow, I will marry her. Those five words knocks out Dryzan's gut to his throat. Shocked, he dropped the ink bottle without thinking.

 

"If this is a joke, it's not funny at all!" he warned.

"No, I'm serious, Dryzan." Spelling his brother’s name was the only thing second to

stay quiet, which Banri only do once in a blue moon.

 

"Tracy Milligan..." Dryzan rocks his chair, reminiscing the old name he hasn't heard in

a while. "Your husband has never spent one minute of his life without doing reckless

act that only shrinks his age span even more. But, he’s a hero our city could ever wish.

I wish you lived enough to see how Southport have changed into a warm place..."

 

All of sudden, the melancholy sinks in. We can see a droplet of crystal tear starts forming out of his eye's corner, which he abruptly sweep with his back of hand. Dryzan has a stern and serious personality. And yet, times like these, where no one is around and he suffers from lack of sleep, has made him recount past memories with earnest upbringing.

 

"This is bad." he smiles bitterly. "...Maybe I should pay her a visit."

 

Nodding to himself, Dryzan then set his desk aside for a morning stroll. After making sure to lock his office door tightly, he went downstairs. A firm, quick morning greet was shout straight from the manor's guard. He replied with a hand wave, telling the all-nighter soldier to be at ease.

 

"Relax, buddy. I'm just going for a walk." he smiles then trots off.

 

Dryzan opens the rigid door, stream of cold breeze accentuate the loud creaking noise. Ah, what a fresh air. He inhales deeply, arm widens in great anticipation for the day. From his mouth, Dryzan exhales a dollop of air, sporting pleasant smile afterwards. He made a comment to himself that he should have done this more.

Walking straight out the manor, Dryzan sees his city for the first time today. Another day, another change. Today there is different air surmising-- full of sweat and spirit. The main street is already engaged with crowds, people walk without paying attention to their sides. Hollering voices from street merchants are in vie with ones coming from inside the stores. They tried to be distinctive as possible, to gain the most proliferation of their goods.

 

"Sure is busy today." Dryzan decides to pause a bit before ramming his huge built into

seas of human. Before a step was made, a friendly wave of hand greets him.

"Morning, Sir Yates!"

Dryzan looks up to see an owner of a rice bowl restaurant he frequents on his day off.

"Hey there!" he waved back. "Already busy in this time?"

The shop owner wipes his sweat with a kerchief of his own. "Not yet, just taking a

leisure walk. You know, men at our age needs to maintain his health more so!"

"I agree." Dryzan let out a formality laugh.

"Where are you heading, Sir Mayor?” the store owner asks. “But, yeah, this city is safe

now, and in a good shape today, thanks to Sir Yates Jr. and his group. Can’t ask more."

 

Dryzan replies with a gratified nod. The fight back then must've left an unforgettable impression in citizen's mind. Not only Banri and his group fend off the city from fearsome HOUNDS duo Mathius Damhorn and Omus Tertio; they also gave numerous contribution to the city’s recovery. Truly, it was a day to memorize.

 

"If they weren't here, I bet the city would be a bleak camp of theirs now!" the shop

owner says. "So, how's Sir Yates Jr. faring? He's not returned yet?"

"Oh, no." Dryzan smiles. "Knowing him, he'll be away longer than the amount of time

he had promised me. He's a nature-born adventurer."

"I see! I have a younger brother too, who live far in the Eastern. Oh, how you must've

missed him so!" the harmless joke unexpectedly puts Dryzan's face to embarrassment.

"He- Hey!!" he hushed the giggling shop owner. “Mind your own business!”

"It is rare seeing you like this, Sir Mayor. My apologies, it was only a blunt joke."

"I know. Well then, I should be off." Dryzan scurries along before more question strikes.

 

The West Cape, known as a barren cliff stretching out of Southport's western outfield. This is where Dryzan is heading�"where Tracy Milligan and her infant son were buried, along with several kinds of flower planted on the field. Though it is legally open to public, no one has ever taken interest to this place. The only people who frequents the cape are Dryzan himself, along with his younger brother.

 

------------------------------------------------------


Reita feels her head spinning, reaching an interdimensional space way beyond her cognizance. Her eyes have been fading into the dark for long hours; now it starts to walk back into the light. As her brain starts firing new electric signals down to optical muscles, her lashes begins to flutter open. The deepest eyelid starts to open, showing grainy film of grey often seen in broken TV or after-course before closing time.

Slowly, then, the graininess starts to cloy out when a lighter shade of black emits. It is now her outer eyelid showing the very movement of her eyeball. She moves them left and right, trying to sneak out of the empty vein. The movements eventually sends back signal to her brain that the pupils are ready to receive light, so her outer lid now really opens. Refraction of newly addressed visual scenery disperses into her lens, through the pupil. Her optical nerve sends back and forth this rapid stream of visual information, bringing Reita back to her consciousness.

Her first word is of a similar pattern we often see in popular movie: Where am I. She closes shut both eyes, pressing them deep back to their crevices. Her words were just an inner yell, it seems. Her mouth is not yet to open. Now her eyes are wide open, scanning her surrounding vicinity. It is dark. Lots of people. The air smells like damp mold.

 

"Where am I?" this time, her lips moved according to what her brain says. "My head."

 

She comments the first-hand sensation felt as she gently sits herself up. A tingling pain along her spine, centralized to the back of head. It is really hurtful, as if she had a whole-night migraine accompanied by bad fever.

 

"Ouch..." she rubs her nape.

 

Why indeed, there seem to be a mass of crowds in front of her. Still grappling for steady ground, Reita scans again. There seems to be no one concerned enough about her vague state. Judging by how these crowds mold their faces, she might be in an unfavorable situation. Hanging head, sour smile, pout, cries and wails. All these noisy disturbance leads Reita to rest her back on nearest wall, closing her eyes again.

 

"I must be dreaming..." she murmurs.

But her guess was proven wrong as someone calls to her aide. "Reita!"

"I know this voice..." Reita frowns deeply with eyes shut. "...Jeena." she jogged her

memories right.

"Are you alright? Oh, God, I was worried sick when you're not waking up!"

"Jeena..." Reita looks up to see a woman with troubled face, almost crying, if anything

more. "...What happens to me...? Where is everybody...?"

"Drink this." Jeena hands a water bottle. "Refresh yourself first, then I can tell you."

 

Devoid of any complaint, the red-haired girl took the bottle and drank its content quickly. She feels refreshed, quite! What a mysterious water; she never tasted any plain water this good. Beside her, Jeena sits herself. Watching her gulping a whole bottle seems a funny thing, a chuckle can be heard escapes her mouth.

 

"...That's the Sacred Water from Lord Gilthar's spring."

"...Oh?" Reita makes an insipid smile. "Does the water here always tastes this good?"

"...It would be great if so." Jeena replies with an apologetic one.

"Say, where is this? What happened with everyone around?"

"Reita, you don't remember?" Jeena asks.

"This is the underground shelter, way below the city central."

 

Reita nods idly, slowly trying to do another memory jog. She remember coming to Myriad after clearing a dispute with certain someone, with certain drastic measure. There's this elf-like troop commandant named Blautiel, who’s actually close to a true Holiner. Reita remembers his sharp gaze.

Then a miracle happened upon their visit to Thomas' long-lost brother. After, she went to the Ancient Library along with everyone else... From there, her memories became a bit fuzzy. Ancient Library? Wait, wasn't there something serious happened then?

 

Reita's eyes widen in horror. "...Jadel! He's-- He's still in...?" she gasps.

"Crap, I was knocked out by Alma's spell! He sent me to this place??" her loud thoughts

beams nonsensically.

 

After a brief recess, Reita sorts back her memory into more reconstructed story. Now she know the very reason she's here: refusing to take part on the war due to impending fear of losing her life. Worried, Jeena Fallow leans closer to check on her.

 

"Reita, are you okay?"

"No." Reita answers bluntly. "…Tell me, so we're way below ground, protected under

this tough shell while everyone outside is bleeding for us?"

Jeena looks speechless for a bit. "...Yes, although it's a bit cruel to put it that way."

"Damn. I really hate myself like this." Reita slams her fist. "I hate sitting around while

there is a cause to solve; but in the other hand I'm too afraid to do anything."

 

Jeena nods gently. "We're safe here, Reita. Don't worry. Ariad has promised me he

will save us all."

"Ariad is outside? Is he already fit for battle?"

"More than ever. Thanks to Thomas." Jeena smiles wide. As the two converse, small

voice sharp-cut their merry words.

"Humph! Adults are, really, troublesome!"

Reita and Jeena turns around to see a kid, wearing fiascos, folding his arms up.

"They’re the ones who cause this war! And now we have to suffer from it!" his voice

sounds irked.

 

"Flint, sit down!" another voice, this time from a familiar voice. We know her back

then as the gossipy auntie who gave the team Holy Scab prevention medicine.

"Don't say such harsh words to strangers. Oh, you..." she seems to remember Reita

also. "Hello." she greets.

"Why are you here, Miss? Weren't you with your group?" her question stuck like a

rusty knife inside Reita's gut.

"Um, Auntie. Reita is sent here for her own safety." Jeena answers instead.

"Oh, I see. Well, just stay put and relax, then. This shelter is indestructible." the woman

says, "...Though we're just basically spreading more plague to one another."

 

Her statement puts the 'D' in 'dire'. She's right-- most of the residents are the Scabbers. With their cough, sneeze and merely open mouth, they are spreading the plague to healthy others. Not that they have a choice... Unless the vision of getting diced by enemy's sword feels like better choice!

 

"You're strong, right?" Flint walks beside Reita. "Ain't that weapon in your belt?"

She replies, "Yes, but..."

"...You're afraid." Flint answers his own question. "That's why you were sent here, like

the others. They’re too afraid to do something."

"Flint!!!" Auntie suddenly charges and pull him back. The boy fell to his back, shocked

by the impact. "Rude kid! How many times I tell you to not speak like that?!"

Her face is red with anger. "Look to your siblings, do you intend to contaminate them

with your impudent behavior?!"

 

"Well, I’m not afraid! I’m ready to kick those bad guys on their arse, but you stopped

me!" The boy acts tough. “I can take them all by myself!!”

"It's alright." Reita smiles apologetically. "Flint, was it? You have quite some siblings."

She waves at three smaller children sitting behind Auntie, apparently too scared to

wave back.

"We're orphans." Flint speaks with straight face. "Our parents died from the plague."

"There are many more like him." Jeena says. "It's an unfortunate fate, too cruel for

young children."

"I don’t need pity from others." Flint scolds her. "I can live by just fine."

 

Auntie is about to throw another fit, when one of Flint's sibling starts wailing. Holding his tummy, the boy says he's hungry. Hearing his plea, the oldest brother came running to comfort him. Flint coaxes the young boy to be patient, and wait until things calmed down. He even asks what he wants to eat later on, when the city is safe again.

Bluffing to have significant amount of stash, Flint asks his siblings one by one of their most wanted meal. His little sister speaks of local sweets and ice cream. Flint nods with high spirit. The younger brother says he want sandwich and whole roasted chicken. The smallest one, in Flint's arm speaks softly of his choice. Anything would be okay for him, it seems, as long as he can enjoy it with the other sibling.

 

"This is madness." Slapping her fist together, Reita spoke regarding this mindless war.

"I can't believe this is really happening."

"What do you mean, Reita?" Jeena asks.

 

Before Reita goes on explaining her thoughts, she realized a bountiful change in temperature. It feels colder than before, as if someone holds air conditioning machine up to her nape. A slight touch with her bare hands confirms the temperature drop. It is freezing now all of sudden.

 

"Hey, don't you feel a bit cold?" she asks back to Jeena.

"Now that you say it, yes, but overall I'm still fine."

Auntie realizes this too as she get up. "Hey, it's somehow cold. Must've be the morning

wind. Come on girls, help me distribute some blankets around."

Both nodded, then followed Auntie to the cabinet where thick clothes are stored.

"They have thought it thoroughly... There are tons of blankets here." Reita comments.

"You two, stop chattering and get on with the work!"

 

With that, both departs to distribute the blankets. Starting from Flint and his siblings, Reita and Jeena went along to the elders, housewives and the sick. As they walks on though, there is a slight dispute. It happens when Reita is about to hand one to a Scabber with both optics not working anymore. The sick man sits patiently with his withering body; beside him there is an elderly woman, prime in her age, just about several years older than Auntie. The elderly woman complaints straight away why she isn't the one prioritized to get the blanket.

 

"Hey, young lad. I assume you can see well that I'm cold under this crumpling body?"

she says with deriding look to Reita's direction.

"Um, yes, Ma'am. I'll go get another blanket straight away." she responds idly while

giving the Scabber his blanket.

"You're giving it to him?! How come? Can't you see he's just well-- and a young man,

to boot?!" The old woman says, half-yelling.

"I'll go get it straight away."

 

As Reita walks away, she saw from eye's corner the old woman snatched the blanket. From beyond his blinded eyes, the Scabber man of course can't see where his blanket has gone. His hands gape mid-air, trying to relocate the lost possession. This agonizing scene seems to not bother the healthy grandma at all. Her parched grunts blows his plea away in denigrating manner.

 

"Ma'am." Reita turns around. "I said that I'll give you one, right? That's for him. Please

be patient-- you're not injured anywhere."

The old woman feels requisite to reprimand those rude words. She sit up, zoom to

Reita head-on and points her wrinkly index finger to her face.

"Now you listen!!" she yells. "How dare you contradict me?! Don’t you learn how to

behave in front of elders?!"

"Eat s**t." Reita says inside her heart. "Goodness, I hate this type of old kooks. Just

die quickly, please...?”

 

Her excessive yelling turns out induced some angry responses from others, telling her to shut up. Hearing more people contradicts her belief only makes the old woman shout even more, causing a heap of commotion inside the rotund shelter.

Babies then starts to bawl, fished by loudness and people's angry faces. Fussing around the small children becomes apparent; they nag their Mums to get them out of this dark, noisy place. More and more people shout, telling each other to shut the hell up while they themselves let out the highest volume.

The underground shelter now is a mess, not even Jeena and Auntie can calm it down. Mass paranoia has grown ripe from panic, fear and agony. It spreads root fast to people heart whose eyes nor ear knows the temperature has taken another huge step down off the ladder.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

"That was an easy catch!" Phil, sitting atop of his horse's saddle, smiles triumphantly.

Resting below at the ground is a group of criminals trying to envoy mass prison escape.

"You think we'll just sit back and watch?" his bluff goes as if he's one man taking them

all down.

"Mr. Phil, please don't forget about us!" the shout from his men gets him back to Gaia.

"Ah, sorry, sorry! I was only trying to imitate Banri's victory cry."

"Mr. Banri would've been jumping off a tree while saying it!" his group laughs.

"Hey, don't laugh! Are you suggesting I should imitate his reckless attitude too?!

Sorry but no thanks, I don't want to get early wheelchair for daily use!"

 

With the bandits were taken back by some guards, Phil finishes his job by signing his

group as the one who did it.

"Thank you, Phil. You saved us again this time." The ward gave a humble salute.

"It's our job, don't mind it." Phil returns the salute with his comical gesture.

"This is the least I can do in his absence."

"Oh yeah, Sir Yates has been away from the city for quite a while, no?"

"Almost three months now." Phil mimics a sad sniff. "How dare he left us behind with

his own responsibilities!"

"Hahaha, but he was on an important mission too, right? Don't be too sour about it,

Mr. Phil. Alright, I'll be off!" the ward nods away.

 

Phil and his group is about to tidy up and return to the town, when a loud, drum

tearing yelling is heard. "Heeeeyyyy!!"

The entire group covers their ears almost in reflex as a shade of figure came running.

"Ugh, it's her!" one member said.

"Mr. Phil, do something about her!" another one complies.

"My ears! My ears is going deaf!!"

Phil cringes, despite his disapproving smile. "Hey...! Yzma!"

The woman robed in camo-print cape let out another yelling.

"HELLO, MR. PHIL! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?!!"

 

"Sis, stop, please. My ears hurts." Another figure came down jumping from nearby

tree. The man wearing similar costume has significantly taller build, adorned in firm

muscles despite the lacks of buff. "Good morning, Mr. Phil."

"Huh, hey, Poncho." Phil grins while tapping his left ear. "You're by yourselves?"

"NO, OF COURSE NOT! WE'RE ALWAYS TOGETHER IN TRIO!!" Yzma replies with

bundles of enthusiasm.

"Sis, please! Your voice is going to make the entire forest dries up!"

"HUH, REALLY?!"

"Yes, really!" Even Poncho can't seem to stand the exceeding volume from his capacity.

"Anyway, Big Bro is coming."

 

Just then, a sound of horse trampling the ground gallantly echoes from the forest's shrub. The bold voice shouts gallantly, an ode to his grand entrance. Before long, the horse jumps out from bushes, revealing its gleaming light mocha fur with black ends. The man saddled atop jumps down without waiting for the horse to land. His safe land gets him a right to brag.

 

"Another perfect land! Howdy, Phil! Pouty as ever, eh!"

"There you are, Bohm. You sure loves to make extravagant entry." Phil comments.

"Hey, a man has to maintain his appeal, isn't that right? By the way, here." Bohm's

laughing face fades, then turns serious. He put two fingers on mouth before letting

out a sharp whistle, cutting the forest's silence in half.

"What, What are you doing, Bohm?" Phil blinks surprised.

"Big Bro found a peculiar bird stranded on the woods near our camp earlier today."

"We were sleeping soundly, when this cute chick cries out!" Yzma comments,

seemingly has amended her volume diarrhea.

 

Bohm's whistle gets a reply of chilling, sharp tune of squawk from behind the trees. Above heads, Phil then witness the most benumbing sight of a majestic avian fauna take flight. With pride on his wings, the bird pliantly stuns the breeze by one strong flap. It let out few chirps before landing contently on Bohm's wrist, enrobed inside a thick leather glove.

 

"Here, birdie. Over here." Bohm gave a proud smile to the bird, now idly grooming his

inner feather.

"The bird was stuck between tree branches..." Poncho explains.

"...It seemed to be in a hurry. This kind isn't the type to be stuck between trees."

"You know what this bird is, right?" Bohm glued his eyes to Phil.

"...The Scud Falcon." Phil nods firmly. "Where is it form?"

"We're not sure." Yzma shook her head. "But I'd say we need to go back to report this

to Mayor Yates."

"What are you waiting for, then, lad?" Bohm hushes Phil to get ready. "Hop on!"

 

Riding on Bohm's horse, Phil and the rest of the gang hurried back to Southport. The Scud Falcon has been instructed to follow his meal's scent-- stashed on Poncho's belt-- flying eagerly beside him. Along Southport entrance, they race gallantly to the Mayor's Manor. The busy street and its crowds are quickly torn into half of masses as the gang sped through it.

Dryzan heard the crowds gave amused claps from the streets as he goes back to the manor. At first he thought it is because of some street attractions or performance of wandering musicians. But then trampling noise from horseshoe is nearby, galloping the ground with blinding speed. As the group races towards the town square, the mayor soon finds out the commotion's source.

 

Dryzan shouts angrily to the gang, "Did you forget to not ride horses into town?! Phil!!"

But the said man is nowhere to found. Instead, Bohm jumps off the horse, giving

explanations. "Greetings, Dryzan, Sir."

"Bohm. Subtle as usual with your entry." Dryzan shakes hands, though his smile

indicates a dwelling annoyance.

"Sorry fer the noise. We got an emergency."

Phil's group who had been following from behind, said that their leader has gone to

get Brad from the guild. "What's going on?" Dryzan raises an eyebrow.

 

Poncho says, showing the Scud Falcon. "Here, Sir. This bird was stranded near our

campsite last night."

"A Scud Falcon!" Dryzan comments eagerly. "How rare to see one flying not from, but

into our city. Where is it from?"

"Unfortunately, we don't know, Sir. We found it crying for help, already tree-bound."

Poncho nudges the bird's chest softly.

"Sorry we're late!!" Phil shouts from afar; behind him Brad follows with adjourned vex.

As they arrived, Brad asks straight away what kind of emergency requires him sprinting

from the guild while he's doing paperwork. "Let us speak in my office." Dryzan suggest,

"We'll catch too much attention otherwise."

 

Back at his office, Dryzan rushes straight off to clean his desktop mess. Scraping away unimportant papers into the dustbin, afterwards he dashes to stash the important ones inside the cabinet. Seats for his guests also prepared in abrupt manner that he almost crack a hip bone in the process.

 

"Easy, old-timer!" Bohm can't help but to laugh. "We're okay with sitting anywhere!"

"Yes, well... It won't be comfortable since the cleaning lady was told to not come until

my paperwork finished, so..." Dryzan hustles along the room.

"...There. Please have a seat, everybody."

Phil, Bohm and Poncho sit on the provided chair while Brad and Yzma took Banri's

prized sofa in the back. The group is now ready for discussion.

 

Dryzan brew a new batch of coffee while asking, "About the Scud Falcon... I noticed it

is holding a round of paper on its leg."

"Yours are keen for the age, Dryzan, Sir!" Bohm nods eagerly. "Indeed, it is holding a

paper which not even myself or my siblings dared to unfold."

"Well, let's unfold it together then." Dryzan suggest.

 

Poncho slides his finger to retrieve the paper roll, then opens it. When he does,

however, the room which smelled like fresh coffee suddenly turns horrible muck.

"EWWWWW!!! STINKS! IT STINKS!"

Yzma's loudness almost put Brad's beat to rest. "Pipe down, lass!" he frowns angrily.

"Ha! So what's about a bit of dung stinks?" Bohm laughs nonetheless.

"Hey, the writer used dung as writing ink." Poncho nods firmly, "Whoever he is,

must've been in a hurry... or tight situation."

 

Everyone in the room hurries to see what's written inside. A sketchy drawing of uneven circle above; random dots connected in lines below. None make sense to them. Dryzan thinks hard what this message could mean, when Poncho said.

 

"These dots... I've seen it somewhere..." he mulls his lips.

"Really, Poncho?! Where??" Bohm sounds impatient.

"Wait... I'm trying to remember..." he stand up, then paces the room backs and forth.

"Hmmm..."

 

Every single person inside is anxious seeing Poncho steps around the office, hands

massaging his banded forehead while muttering small voices.

"Hurry up, dummy! We're not waiting forever!" Bohm says.

"I know!" Poncho clicks his finger. "I saw it few yester nights ago. A constellation." He

sits down again. "...If I'm not mistaken, this drawing resembles the constellation Canis

Major."

Then Brad comments from behind, "...Labeled as Hounds of the Night Sky."

"Brad, please, if you know anything, do tell us beforehand!" Phil's dejected expression

says it all.

"...It wasn't my turn of speech, Mr. Zokmer." Brad replies with an intended cynics.

 

"Alright, alright. Calm down, both of you." Dryzan stops the argument from brewing

any further. "Brad, sorry for calling you in so early." he got an idle nod from across.

"...Hounds of Night Sky, eh? I wonder what that means. Phil, do you have any idea?"

Phil gave an innocent shoulder-up. "...Bohm?"

"We're as clueless as daylight ghost, old-timer!" the scruffy man laughs wide.

"Well, if ya guys have any opinion, don't be shy, spit it out!"

The whole room shakes head to the unfathomable mystery.

 

As they sink in each thought, a rumble suddenly crash the Mayor's Manor.

Dryzan quickly kneels down, shouting to his guests. "Earthquake! Get down!"

 

But then a heap of strong light emanates from his rightmost bookshelf which stay closest to the far wall. Everyone's jaws drop open, unable to deliver any bombshell speech as the shelf leniently slips out of its post before crashed to the floor. The books came gushing out from their beds, pages fluttering up and dust of sturdy wooden racks squished onto marble rocks fills the air. Coughs and hand-waves are seen inside, with everybody trying to grasp fresh air and see what has the earthquake deliver to them.

 

"What happened?!" Bohm is the first one to say. "Say something! Poncho! Yzma!"

"We're fine!" both siblings replied gleefully.

"Everyone okay?" Brad's deep, husky voice tries to relocate the others.

"Philip Zokmer is steady as ever! Sir Yates...?" There is no answer from the Mayor.

Phil tries again. "Sir Yates!" Still no answer.

 

As the dust clears off, everyone's jaws drop again as they witness two figures, hugging

each other, sparks of light crumbles off their bodies.

"Who- Who are you?!" Bohm sounds alarmed.

But Phil can recognize this face straight away, before he shrieks in biased tune of his.

"BIG SIS?!"

 

Finally, the situation calms down a bit. Dryzan shows himself from under his work desk, admitting it has been some times since his last experience of earthquakes, so he was a bit tacky. The figures showing out of nowhere enlist themselves as Candyce Zokmer, Phil's older sister and Farad Lemington-- both came from Donmarrow, a town of approximately 422,59 miles away.

Of course, none understands why they came out of nowhere-- after an earthquake happened, no less. Candyce then have no reason to dodge this any longer, more so after Dryzan gave his permission. She then told everyone about the teleportation device built by her and Rojas' parents, which later became a top-secret method of transport used by high-ups of Southport and Donmarrow for political reasons. The device works by Candyce and Rojas' powers, both gifted with tremendous amount of Mana energy inside.

The nature of that mysterious note became clear, as well as origin of the Scud Falcon-- Myriad. Everyone is left in shock as Candyce continues her explanation, saying that Banri's group might have been entangled in a massive war funneled by the HOUNDS.

 

"Big Sis! You serious?!" Phil's comical shocked expression left intact.

"Of course, you stupid brother! Why are you always taking your sister's news without

a pint of seriousness?!"

"Candyce, then Rojas is..." Brad's face turns pale.

"...Do not worry about her, Braddy. She's a tough one, you know her so." The tall man

in clad armor looks down, unable to think clearly. "Then, what are we waiting for?!

Stupid brother and Braddy, go equip yourselves! Lemington, you too!"

 

"Wait, what??" Phil sounds confused.

"Where are we going? Big Sis, surely you don't..."

Candyce slips few bottles-- the same which Rojas drank-- from her pouch.

"We have no time. Hurry, boys."

Despite her saying, no one moves an inch. Frustrated, she raise a nerve and yells.

"What, didn't you hear me clear? I said, move it!!"

"Don't do this, Candyce." Brad grunts with an oppressed voice.

"Big Sis, as he said, this is too dangerous, even for you..."

 

The angered Candyce, in panic, slams her fist on the desk. Her power despite of her

thin built shocks everyone in the room-- including Dryzan. "PHILIP!!!" she yells.

Phil jumps two feet straight, surprised to see his sister got mad the angriest she could.

After staying silent for a while, Dryzan finally get his opinion out.

"Go, Phil, and you too, Brad."

"Sir Yates...!" Brad shows his utter dismay of the approval.

"Banri-- No, Myriad, the entire city needs you. Go." he nods.

"Bohm, Poncho and Yzma." the said three nods firmly, their face are dead serious.

"I want you to rally to Giovanna's place. Starts collecting what you can bring to

Myriad."

 

"As in...?" Poncho says.

"...Anything, as long as helpful, will do. Please head there as soon as possible. If, on

your way, you meet some allies, rally them there too."

Yzma nods silently.

"Bohm, I trust this to you. I will be staying here for Southport."

"Sir Yates... No, Sir Mayor..." Phil tries one last time to argue.

"This is an order, Phil. Brad, Mr. Lemington, I trust him with you."

"Will do." Lemington replies.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

At the underground shelter, the commotion which is about to break hell loose have calmed down. Thanks to everyone's cooperation and Auntie's constant yelling, each person finally realized it is no use to raise their voices, as they are all in the same boat. But then, everyone feels another huge drop of temperature. It has become so cold that even a pair of blanket sewn from thick wool doesn't give significant warmth.

Flint and his siblings bolsters inside one huge blanket, hugging each other to maintain body warmth. Worried these fragile children might pass out, Jeena goes to retrieve any more available layer.

 

"Flint, you okay?" Jeena says.

"I'm okay! I'm not a weakling." he replies with a buff of chest.

Jeena gave a long sigh, then smiles. "It's okay to admit if you're cold, you know.

I'll go find another blanket for you, okay?"

"No, I'm fine! Argh!" the boy groans. "Why is everyone treating me like a kid?

I'm not a kid!"

 

"Yes you are, midget." Reita appears from Jeena's back, holding out her tongue.

"Just do what Big Sis said and be a good boy?"

"You...! Take back what you just said!" Before Flint jumps out of the blanket hug, his

smallest sibling tugs his arm. "Brother... It's cold... It's cold..." he whines.

"Damn, what's going on, really?! Why the temperature keeps on dropping?!!"

Flint throws a random fit. "What the heck are those soldiers doing up there?!

I thought they're invincible and able to defeat even the sturdiest Stone Golem?!!"

 

Jeena feels the same concern as Flint. "His Holiness always gave relentless praise of

Seraphim army on every speech."

"Really?" Reita replies with an uninterested tilt. "Let's hope for the best... Huh?"

 

Her eyes caught something. Something moves. Not too apparent, quite slow for mere eyes to notice. Almost as silent as dry leaves rustling on the ground. Concealed amongst the mad crowds of scared herds, it seethes below men's decibel as it goes. Reita cringes for a bit, thinking it might be her overactive imagination.

 

"...Huh." she shrugs.

"Reita, what's wrong?" Jeena asks.

"Nope, nothing. Maybe a roach."

"Wow, yeah. There must be a lot of them here." Jeena answers with, surprisingly,

enthusiast nod. "I've squashed many of their squads back in the house."

 

Kzzzt. The silent movement again. Reita caught it this time by her eyes' corner. She follows her intuition to look upwards. As she tilts her head, Reita saw seeds of icicle began forming from the shelter's door. The huge door is made circular with a horizontal opening. Built specifically to holds not only the lake's water debit but also enemy attacks, there is no way the lake water can seep inside.

 

"What the hell..." Reita took few steps back, then round and round. Her heads hangs

still, glued to the icicle which grows more in short time.

"Jeena... There's that weird icicle up there." she says, fingers pointed.

Jeena nods slowly, brain already processing the worst outcome can be.

"...Take the children further back." Reita tries to keep her voice calm, despite her

racing heart.

 

Suddenly, some loud thud is heard from the entryway. It is so loud that the entire shelter starts to shake, ceiling dropping crumbles and pebbles. Everyone shouts in unified panic, unable to reckon what had caused the scene. Then there's another thud. The ground shakes again. People starts screaming, wailing why their lives have took the worst turn. Prayers and curses lands to both Gilthar and Zarmesiton whom the people loved much-- in good times.

The third thud. This time it's the loudest. Flint swore he saw the sturdy block of stones crafted at the entry door starts shrilling weak. Then everything crumbles, shatters into the ground below. Rocks fell, pebbles hit the ground like rain drops-- along with zillions of icicle which had permeated before by the lakewaters atop. Everyone's screams becomes more audible, screeching voices of women are mixed with prayer chants and shrieks from babies. Reita and Jeena went with Flint and his siblings to the back, deeper part of the shelter. Even so, they witnesses from afar that one ginormous figure have descended along with the monstrosity he had brought.

The roar confirms it. A skin-crawling, breathtaking roar which comes only from the most acidic belly containing rotten flesh of digested corpse. The roar of a thing which eats flesh.

 

"Holy crap..." Reita pulls all of her hair upwards, seeing the thing starts glowing shivery

blue from its shiny scales.

"It's a dragon..."

 

Upon the winged beast's entrance, another massive panic roars in the air. Everyone runs for their lives as the dragon started huffing breath of ice from its silvery jaw line. Jeena, along with Flint quickly backs away, further inside into the shelter's crevice.

 

Pitted, Reita had no choice but to brace herself and try to fend off the beast.

"D****t! Why now all of sudden...!" she grits her teeth, fear looms over hear

trembling hands. The sheathed Varunastra became dull of its glows as their owner

doubts herself. The ice dragon gave a menacing smirk as it starts to hover up.

"Stop!" Reita yells with raspy voice. "Go away, beast!"

 

Undoubtedly, her fear shows more than her courage to actualize those words. A heavy groan, mimicking condensed laugh is heard from the hovering dragon. Ridiculing our heroine's limping tongue, it hums a demonic brew inside its throat.

 

"Reita!!" Jeena's shouts rang from behind. "Come here! It's futile to take the dragon

by yourself!"

The red-haired girl heard her calls right; but she's sure as hell everyone will be

massacred in an instant if she backs away. "I'm... I'm fine!" she replies, trying to

toughen up. "Don't get out until it is safe!!"

Jeena's breath hangs mid-air as she witnessed Reita charges straight away to the

dragon, neglecting her defense. "No!!!" Jeena shouts hysterically.

 

"Heaaaaaaaahh!!" Reita's war cry echoed as she sprints.

Her move is too predictable for the dragon, unfortunately. The huge beast snorts

before curving its tail into a deadly whip which then rammed Reita's body easily like

paper fluttering in the air.

"Urrghhhh!!!" she groaned in pain as her body hits rubbles of wall far back.

Seeming to have hit some bones, Reita struggles to stand back up.

"Not yet... Not yet...!" she mutters repeatedly, trying to regain her courage.

 

But then, the merciless beast shows no sign of pausing as it lands another devastating attack. Not to herself, but to her surroundings. Blowing enormous breath containing zillions of spearheaded icicle, the dragon aimed for all of the shelter's residents hiding deep in the dark.

 

"NO!!!" Reita's shriek of devastation accompany many others whose flesh suffers from

being pierced by needle-thin ice spears that steams out fresh of freshest blood.

"STOP!!!" Wobbling, Reita pulls herself together for a head strike.

"Varunastra!" she shouts, "Vortex Blow!"

 

From the melted icicle, hurls of water forms into tiny spins charging at their target. Obviously, being an Ice-affinity beast, the dragon has strong Water-elemental resistant. Reita's attack do more of tickles than any harm. Again, the dragon easily dispatched her with a whiplash of tail. This time, luckily, she managed to avoid breaking further of her marrow collectives by rolling forward just in time before she hits the wall.

 

"Grrrnnnn...." the dragon rasp again, then let out another surge of freezing

bullets.”Grrrooaaarrrrr!!!" the icicle storm it spews goes in circular motion, aiming at

every each of person seen from its eyes.

 

Another massive hysteria breaks the silence with highest decibel available of human hearing. People screams, children wails and every each of their devastation molds into one terrific chaos. Suddenly, Reita realizes that some of her acquaintances are hiding there, counting on the darkness and gloomy pit for protection.

 

"Jeena! Flint! Auntie!!" without second thought, she dashed straight to where the

dragon aims its frozen breath. "Activate the water barrier, Varunastra!" she yells while

flashing the seafaring dagger.

A dollop of translucent blue then circles her entire form while running, blocking away

the icicle hurls. "Jeena!" Reita calls. "Flint, Auntie!!"

 

Her urge of stopping the dragon from massacring any more human led to a newfound will. Varunastra glows significantly brighter than before, then starts resonating with all the icicles. Slowly, the frozen blocks returns to its original form: flowing water, before joining Varunastra as its ally, for Reita to command.

 

Now standing with compelling advantage, she calls out a counterattack spell.

"Dragonbender!!!" she raises one dagger above, calling forth an ethereal form of

dragon inside vortex of water.

 

Her summon rams the icicle storm, gaining momentum as it collects more power from melting ice. Eventually, her summoned dragon thrusts into the beast's throat, sending awful damage to its breathing compartment. The dragon backs off in pain, giving Reita chances to drag anyone saved from its malicious attack.

 

With her trembling hands, Reita prowls under the rubble, trying to make out what's

look like a dump of pebbles and sand mixed with red stench of blood, and salt tears.

"Jeena! Flint!" Reita keeps on, moving away rubbles as fast as her bleeding hands

could.

 

Then her fingertips hit something... red, and warm, upon a rounded surface of human skin. It was Jeena and Auntie's bodies, hugging together to protect what lies under: Flint's small figure. Reita's eyes bulges, terror fills her mind. Quickly, she pulled both women out from the rubbles and check for their breaths. Despite constantly having their names called, there are no apparent reply from their lifeless lips.

Upon checking their beats, Reita’s alleviating hands got her to a conclusion that neither hearts are beating anymore. With all those holes from the icicle hurl, blood spills exceed their capacity. They're gone. So soon. Reita's mind went frantic. How could this happen? She only knew them for brief moments of meeting, and now they are limping lifeless because of her inability to fend off an enemy attack.

 

"I'm sorry, you two..." she puts both bodies to rest on the ground.

Underneath, a sign of life twinkles from Flint's gesticulating body.

"Pulse of Life!" One arm casting a recovery spell, another trying to make out of Flint's

limping arm. "Flint! Hey, kid! Wake up!" she calls.

There's a slight movement from his closed lid, a good sign of life.

"You're alright!" Reita wipes her welling tears. "Where are your siblings?!"

As far as her eyes could scan, there are no signs of Flint's brother and sister around.

She fears they might be separated when the panic broke, and now they are trapped

somewhere under the rubbles.

 

"Where is everyone?! What happened...? Why is...?" Flint jots straight up, terrified as

he sees the horrendous scene.

"Stay back." Reita warns him. "The dragon is still alive."

"Dragon?! What, what are you talking about?! Why is everyone dead?!" Flint keeps

on asking. "Oh, no! My siblings--" before he could ran off, Reita held her arm strictly.

"I said, stay back. Don't move recklessly."

"What do you mean?! I have to look for my siblings!!"

"And get yourself killed on the process?!" Reita storms back with sharp glance.

 

Flint is speechless, unable to retaliate in any word.

"...Try to find a good hiding spot, for now." she advise. "I'll protect you."

"You won't make it!!" Flint now sounds even more desperate than she already is.

"Oh, yeah? We'll see."

"You'll die!!"

"We’re all as good as dead if I don't do something, kid! Now, shut up and just go

somewhere safe!!"

"Wait, hey!!" Flint's words were too late; Reita has gone from her place to face the

dragon again.

 

Another round begin. The fight between ice-breathing dragon and girl with red hair starts with brimming tension. Reita charges, casting Varunastra into a watery whip. She yells, aiming to the dragon's neck vein. The beast effortlessly evaded her attack, made a lazy stir of body before raising a huge roar.

 

"Ack!" Reita feels her body weak as the large sound hits her like a major wave.

"I can't stand...!"

"Don't lose!!" Flint's voice from afar somehow brings her courage in.

"Like hell I will!" she grunts loud, then stood up again.

 

The winged beast now charges, letting out an impetus ice breath. Being an avid water-

elemental user also, Reita has little to worry of this attack.

"Ha!!" she focused her mind, creating a solid barrier from hardened turquoise shell

around her perimeter. The ice breath strikes her barrier, trying to stab it off to no avail.

"Tch, we both have the similar affinity...!" she said in her mind.

"This will be a test of endurance...!"

 

Soon as the ice breath attack stopped, Reita tries another approach. She pulls back the watery whip, reforming it into a throwing knife-like artillery. This is due to her mind's creation-- a process where she imagines Varunastra reshape itself into another type of weapon, then actualizes it by molding the translucent edge.

From here, we know Reita is about to switch her attack into long-range one. Such tactic might be the best, knowing the dragon has acute perception of angle and directions, not to forget the deadly breath.

 

"Come on!!" Reita taunts the dragon, to come closer within her firing range.

 

Thankfully, despite having good sense of direction, the beast doesn't have the same for sarcasm. It flies straight away towards Reita, gleams of floe blue under its throat. As it draws right at the firing range, Reita began her assail, firing the reshaped knife dead straight. The dragon countered with another chunky breath, storming Reita's knives with barrage of icicle.

 

"Pff... You fool." a sly smirk forms on her mug, a sign she has secrets to the attack just

now. Taking single deep breath, Reita then visualizes her knives would arch out from

the dragon's icicle shot, like a drive shot.

"Circle!!" she shouts, actualizing her mind prowess. The knives ran off their tracks,

before back towards the unguarded dragon's mouth.

"Sharpen!!" she commands again, thus her bullets narrowed, almost into a form of

spearhead.

 

Shocked, the dragon has no time to evade nor close its bare mouth. Reita's knives rain lodges straight to its mouth ceiling, stench of monster blood fills the air along with the dragon's pained cry.

 

"Ooosshhh!!" she congratulate herself upon the successive assault.

 

It is not over yet, though. The only way to defeat enormous beast this size is to inflict brain death; in other word, decapitate it. Reita steps few back while thinking of a good way to do this. Suddenly, the dragon makes a bold move of flushing the air with another one of its signature breath attack. Despite of its wound, the dragon persevere to storm few more chunks of ice.

 

"Not going to happen!" Reita quickly put up her barrier.

Surprisingly, the dragon's attack is more vicious this time that her barrier is pushed

 back by it. "D****t! What happened?! Why I'm getting forced out...?"

The dragon bellows, letting out dozens more of icicle which then, a pair of them slips

through the barrier's weakest spot. They lodges right to Reita's calf and upper arm,

waning her barrier even more.

"S**t... Argh!" she curses, falling down to one knee.

This can't be the end, she nods to herself. "Pulse of Life!"

 

Casting a recovery spell to herself, Reita tries to close her wounds quickly before another surge of icicle comes. It took the dragon approximately a minute to reload, before it roars again to Reita, who's still focusing on her calf. The red-haired girl has no choice but to cease the spell and put another protective barrier.

 

"Damn, how can I make a move if this keeps on?!" Reita thought to herself.

"I have to make an opening... But what can I do to reach its neck..."

 

More time has passed, but Reita is still yet to come up with good ideas.

Suddenly, Flint calls out, ignoring his own safety. "Hey, Sis!" he shouts.

Reita abruptly shut her auditory canal, just so the dragon won't shift its attention to

the boy. "Make the dragon lay down!" he continues.

 

God, Flint, please just shut up! If you keep shouting like that, you'll be found, then the dragon will slay you into ground meat! Reita feels her beat races faster as the dragon seem to notice where the kid's voice came from.

 

"Make the dragon lay down! I don’t know how to, but that's the perfect situation to

chop its head!" Flint says. "Don't lose! I won't forgive you if you do!!"

 

Sounds easy, according to what he said. But the actualization might be harder... Unless, there is indeed, a cunning way to trick the dragon so it will lay its head down. Reita's mind suddenly lit. An idea pops to her mind, which might just work. She figured one of her moves can trick the dragon to slam its head to the ground; but it is very risky.

In order to perform this task, Reita will have to encapsulate herself in sturdiest barrier she can evoke, while running towards the dragon. Her running figure, obviously, will provoke it to gnash another icicle breath. With the right timing, Reita would swipe her barrier, baring her body open, into the dragon's head. As the head is capsuled inside and the dragon release its breath, the water barrier will froze in an instant, creating a vacuum case. Under this circumstance the dragon will be forced to free itself in order to breath, but using claws is not an option since they aren't in suitable length. The only option left is to ram its head to the ground, which will break the ice box but also giving Reita a slight chance to do a finishing blow.

 

"Let's go!!" Reita made a tiptoe jump before sprinting. "Activate barrier!"

 

Within seconds, her barrier doubled by durability as she ran. Straight towards the dragon, she has to do a precise calculation before shifting the barrier. Taunted, the dragon raise its head and prepare another attack.

 

"This is it! I'll swipe the barrier the moment it began brewing its breath!"

 

Her timing is proven correct; Reita swiped her barrier seconds before the dragon release its breath. The shock led to immature gnash of the breath, which just moments after released it quickly froze the entire bubble capsule. Entrapped, the dragon panics then began to shake its head left and right.

Eventually, the dragon thinks it is best to ram its head into the ground. Rumbling noise of shaken earth drums the entire underground shelter as the dragon's head hits rock bottom, freeing itself from the ice cube.

 

"This is the moment...!" Reita nods to herself, then charges.

Seeing how now the dragon stretch its neck voluntarily, there is no better chance than

this. As she tries to deliver the finishing blow, though, the unhealed pain in her calf

starts to pulsate.

"Urgh...!" Reita collapsed to the ground, gripping her pained leg.

"D****t! Why now?!" Across, she can see the dragon begins to lift its head.

 

But Fate of Gaia seems to be in her favor; another miracle happened. From above, joined voices from male humans roar as their figure descend with a daring jump. The three mysterious figures hacked the dragon's head easily with their battle swords. Passing along a leftover of its inside grunt, the dragon gave its last breath.

 

"What the?!" Reita backs off in alarmed face. "Who... Who are you?!"

She looked upwards, to find out the not-so-unfamiliar faces stands before her.

"Still a greenhorn, I see. Useless kid."

Reita's eyes blinks rapidly, following the harsh voice owner. "M- Mr. B- Brad...?"

Another voice follows, "Heya, Reita! I come to save you! You're not with that old

coot, Banri?!"

"Mr. Phil?!!" Reita became even more confused.

Her mind almost goes lights out when a guy helped her to stand up by offering his

hand. "Good to see you still alive, Reita. If you were dead, what about our next dates?"

"Farad?!!" Reita's jaw dropped. "W- W- W- WHY IS EVERYONE HERE?!!"

 

------------------------------------------------------

End of Chapter 57!


© 2017 Latifa Rahim


Author's Note

Latifa Rahim
Three more chapters to go! :p

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on February 11, 2017
Last Updated on February 11, 2017
Tags: adventure, book, six, adv, chapter, 58


Author

Latifa Rahim
Latifa Rahim

Bogor, Bogor, Indonesia



About
Newcomer in writing world! Loves sci-fi and adventure as genre. Does drawing, too. more..

Writing