Alcoholism

Alcoholism

A Poem by Roland Petrov
"

I know something about this subject. This is my latest micropoem, a genre introduced to me by Suzy Wordmuse.

"
I accidentally got drunk
It seems there was a surplus
I didn't mean to drink it
but I did accidentally
on purpose

© 2020 Roland Petrov


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like you poem
I can see the humour
of the last line
It’s tongue in cheek humour I get it

I drank heavy after my separation from 2005 to a few years ago really
I admit I had an alcoholic problem
Probably would drink the excess alcohol too if I could but due to a heart problem incidentally which was brought on by the poison I am not to drink so ....
Yes I could say I’m an alcoholic that abstains due to health heart issues

Not sure if I would drink heavy again now even if I didn’t have a heart issue but I’ll never know as I’m sober now last two years or so I like it too I like my calming t bags and sure it’s not the same I still miss it the poison lol but do not miss the hospital admissions or problems with my ticker


Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

4 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Julie, but be careful with the tea as caffeine has a reputation for bringing on irre.. read more



Reviews

This expresses the elusive tangled language of all addicts perfectly (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

Your comment expresses what I wanted to say in this poem perfectly. Thanks for the hug.
Waste not, want not, said the seriously soused sot!


Posted 3 Years Ago


When we want something badly enough we always find a reason, though not always in our best interest.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Excellent, Roland 👍

I'm so glad you've returned … we've missed your uniquely original compositions; this message-worthy piece being an exemplary sample; though, it doesn't seem to need a red warning label.
Such great brevity in absurd satire, only You could pull-off so smoothly, making it feel nonsensically normal … LOL!

I simply love it, My Fine Friend! ⁓ Richard 🍃

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A note that might interest you:

Gogyohka
(gō-gee-yōh-kă)
An original contemporary poetic form
created by Japanese poet, Enta Kusakabe, in 1961.
He translates it simply as, “Five-Line Poem."
The Gogyohka has very simple rules:
The poem is comprised of five lines with one phrase per line … that's it!
*****
What constitutes a phrase in Gogyohka?
The definition of phrase is in the eye of the beholder.
But, a compound or complex sentence is, probably, too long,
There are phrases as short as one word and others more than five words.
So, it's a little loose, which is kind of the theory behind Gogyohka.
It's meant to be concisely in five lines, but free, variable line length with each phrase.
No subject matter constraints … just five lines of poetic phrases.
Title (or not) and/or rhyme, capitalization, and punctuation: All at the writer’s option.

(examples)

it’s a pity
he sees joy
he’s so coy
he can’t get gritty
he’s a good boy

(or)

“Kindness”

What’s in a word?
Some things we need,
others can’t know
rivers run deep,
seas softly embrace.


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

Many thanks, Richard! So I almost wrote a Gogyohka; well, now I'm challenged again!
He didn't mean to, it just happened....:)
This is very relatable, me being a little more than fond of my drink. Great!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Short, sweet and says a lot. I have known several people with alcohol problems, and this offering says a lot about their psychology. They start out with the intent not to drink, but the resolve withers under stress and the human ability to rationalize draws them in. "I'll only have one" is the start of the slide. Liked the rhyming, too.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

Thanks! I inserted a bit of humor here, but I know some people, like you do, for whom this is not fu.. read more

Funny that.... so did an awful lot more folk according to the latest national news...

on the one side, we have nice bit of humour, on the other, something of a darker reality

Neville

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

Exactly! I meant it to be humorous without trying to mask the darker reality.
Ha ha. I enjoyed the humour in this little piece of brevity. I think many of us can remember a time when this would have related to us. I can. Never forgot over indulging on gin when I was in my early twenties. Never touched a drop since.

Chtis

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

Gin and tonic on a hot summer day! But yes, it can get away from us quickly if we're not careful. I'.. read more
Love it. I'm gonna have to look into these her new darn fangled micro-majiggeries. To me, this was heard in the the voice of John Cooper Clark, the punk poet, perhaps because of the humour, as well as having recently been listening to his spoken word.
Well worth a listen to, he even makes haiku and senryu funny by just stopping dead after seventeen syllables, whether he got to the point or not.
You certainly did here. The amount of times I accidentally on purpose done the same thing is.. Is... Well, I can't quitterecall, but it definitely is 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, Roland,

Glad to review again. This is an interesting piece, and I think it revealed more than you expected. It offers a glimpse at drinking, which can be casual and merely social. It can be appreciative as in having a fine Pinot with a good steak--I know, a Cabernet would probably match better. Pinot is for prime rib or a roast. Or a nice sauvignon blanc with a fine fish dish--I know, many prefer chardonnay. I did too, some years ago. But anyone that is familiar with the pleasure of drinking knows what you are saying. We've been there. I've finished up the half bottle many times myself after a dinner party. And it could be 3/4 of a bottle. It's open and it doesn't keep indefinitely--okay, it keeps a few days. You didn't mean to drink it. It was just there, and it sort of happened. It sort of happened on purpose. Ah...you were going to bed, anyway. It helps clean up the kitchen. I can throw the bottle away now. I accidentally got drunk. Hell everyone is gone. I'm going to bed. I'm just going to drink this. Not all of it. Okay, that was half of it. Oh, what the hell, I'll drink the rest and go to bed. See you all in the morning.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick Puetter

3 Years Ago

You are most welcome. Have a glass of wine. It cuts down on your ambitions to go outside, and helps.. read more
Roland Petrov

3 Years Ago

I always have a glass of wine in each hand so that I'm not tempted to touch my face.
Rick Puetter

3 Years Ago

Extremely wise. How did you get to be so intelligent??

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2020
Last Updated on May 30, 2020
Tags: alcohol, drinking, accident, alcoholism

Author

Roland Petrov
Roland Petrov

Desert Hot Springs, CA



About
Every type of school I went to was in a different country on a different continent: primary school in England, junior high in Ethiopia, high school in Lebanon, and university in the United States. I'v.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic