Southern Nostalgia

Southern Nostalgia

A Poem by Sami Khalil
"

On race relations and civil war history. A dialogue on some current events...

"

Image result for dialogue paintings

Southern Nostalgia by Sami Khalil

On race relations and civil war history…



“Nothing can humanize injustice. Nothing can dehumanize suffering.”


Told I my father-in-law, Oscar Curtin. A “Southern Gentleman” with strong morals, and convictions pregnant in devoted miscellany attached to the American civil war, with auras of sanctity as white as cotton.


The language he uses is peopled with noble sacrifices from constructed memory flickers.


But the facts of history are where things get tricky, rhetorically.

When roots of causes are explored, venturesome values piteously become homespun.


“Would to God and country look beyond old wounds, purveying not raw feeling.” I added.


“But those damn Yankees,” he conjured up as ghosts of the past, citing the rebel in him. “They will heavily pay for what was engendered on us, folks. No authority on Earth can shear off our connection to this beautiful land. No other worthy causes! Here lies the brave.”


I clerked persistently for right words, with lurid ease saying: “May we furlough the garrisoned watchers over deep hurt upon bookshelves. I’m no slave holder. No clustered hate of any race will ever avail. There is not but one human race, period.


For where injustice is situated, there lies eulogies. Where liberty and justice are ingrained, there lie laudatory virtues and poetry.”

 

© 2018 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

" There is not but one human race, period " Could we convince some of these modern leaders now. Sami?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

You are appreciated. Good to have you on this site.
Mrudula Rani

6 Years Ago

Thank you. getting to know the best writers like yourself is one of the privileges I have, being .. read more
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

God bless.....
poetry is about all of us, black or white, red or yellow, the cotton in our fields is multi-colored and soft as a snowflake...if love irrigates the fields, then what we grow is closer to each other on all levels.

j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Amazing words and truth sir, Jacob. Very well said. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort.. read more
"There is not but one human race, period." Ah, yes, if only the world would believe this line. Not sure if you really do have a father in law who is a Southern gent, but if you do, I wish you patience dealing with him. The old thoughts seem to still be alive....and each generation passes them down to the next. It's a shame. Your words are well written, Sami. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! I do have and it is all real. They live in the context of history and I do get that. I do hope .. read more
dear Sami, You have the ability, the talent to convey Your message with few lines, few lines which are connected and bonded together strongly, You have a power with this, and I imagine You to be the calm person who speaks his mind and thoughts confidently, knowing the humanistic moral he holds, is the right one, the one that can progress humanity into more peace and kindness, it's never easy to forget deep wounds, specially those which came with injustice, but it's not impossible...

what a stunning marvelous ending line! and what a marvelous starting line...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well articulated beloved poet and friend. You are right on message and marvelous. I.. read more
lightsong

6 Years Ago

You are warmly welcome.
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

:)..................
“Nothing can humanize injustice. Nothing can dehumanize suffering.”

Sami Khalil

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lightsong

6 Years Ago

Yes Sami, Yes and Yes! marvouls as I've said... marvelous!
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

971 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 26, 2018
Last Updated on February 26, 2018

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..