Settling in...

Settling in...

A Chapter by samiashannon
"

Yasmin is starting to settle in when she finds herself with a job as a nurse...

"

Chapter 4

 

I awake by dad shaking me. I stretch and look up to dad holding Ella who is fast asleep.

“Yasmin, its 4 o’clock you need to go back to your house. You’ve got a family to feed, you’ve been asleep for 3 hours.” Dad whispers in my ear, I lift myself up and put my boots on. My short bob is sticking up and I pat it down with my hands. My clothes are crumpled and my face is tear stained. I lift Ella out of my dad’s hands and place her in her car seat. Trying not to cry again I hugged my dad tightly. I walked down the stairs and hugged my mum tightly; she gave me a kiss on the cheek and I stepped out the door to my car. It was dark and drizzly, the exact way I felt as I drove to my home.

*******

 I turned the key and stepped in my front door. Ella was still fast asleep in her cars seat. I took my coat off and my boot and made my way through to the kitchen. Connor was sitting at the dining room table playing his game boy. I didn’t know where Harry was.

“Connor, where’s your dad?” I asked him. He sighed and looked up from the game boy.

“Up stairs in the shower. Why were you so long? I’m starving. Make me food mum. I want chicken Nuggets and Alphabet Letters!” He cheekily ordered. I wasn’t happy about that, I don’t like people telling me what to do. Okay what would mum do if I said that?

“Erm, don’t be so cheeky and… erm you will not get any dinner unless you tidy that room!” I ordered. It felt good, I really felt like an adult now. He scowled and stomped up the stairs up to his room.

I took Ella and sat her in her highchair and started cooking. I didn’t know how to cook chicken nuggets and chips. So I made what I only know how to cook �" pasta and cheese sauce. I learned how to cook it in home economics in school. It was simple so I got down to business.

******

Dinner was quiet; nobody talked. Connor was in a huff with me because I made him tidy his room and that he didn’t get chicken nuggets and chips. Harry was tired and kept putting his elbow on the table and I was annoyed with the both of them. As soon as they had finished their dinner they left the table with no thanks and walked up the stairs. I sighed and binned the rest of my pasta, washed the dishes, gave Ella her bottle and went upstairs for a bubble bath. It was relaxing, the only time of the day to soak up my thoughts. I always imagined my life better than this. To have a kind, caring husband, not one that you occasionally see picking his nose. As for my children, I couldn’t complain about them �" they were perfect. I washed my hair, got out and put on some pyjamas that I found in my drawer. After I bathed Ella I rocked her to sleep and put her in her cot. I checked Connor’s room; all the laundry had been put away, plates had been taken down the stairs and his army men had been put away in his toy basket. I smiled it wasn’t perfect but at least you could actually see the floor. He was sprawled on his bed reading a comic and drinking fizzy pop.

“Right well done on your room,” I said to him. He nodded and continued reading his comic. At about 7 I went into my bedroom and Harry was lying on the bed with the laptop.

“I need to go to the shops tomorrow morning and get some food shopping.” I said to him. He looked at me as if I was crazy. Where have I had that look before?

“Are you crazy you start work at 6 till 5. How are you going to get the time to go to the shop before work?” He asked me and then muttered crazy women under his breath.

“Work? What work?” I asked confused.

“You really are losing your mind. Work, work? Huh, you work as a nurse?” He asked me while sipping a can of beer.

“Oh yes, that job,” I said and pretended to know what I was talking about. I looked in my drawer and pressed and ironed was a nurse outfit. 6!! That’s far too early for work. I had no idea how to be a nurse! Hopefully it comes as natural as driving.

Tired I lay down on the bed next to Harry and started to read my book. But because of the events of the day I fell asleep after the second page…..


© 2012 samiashannon


Author's Note

samiashannon
Ignore grammar problems and please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

thats really good, really want to read on! why is so sad though, i know she thought she'd have a better husband but you'd think she'd eb grateful she's alive and illness free ???

Posted 12 Years Ago


Thanks xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG! That is really good- Want to hear more now xxx Don't leave it o a cliffhanger any more! xxx

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 4, 2012
Last Updated on January 4, 2012


Author

samiashannon
samiashannon

glasgow., scotland., United Kingdom



About
13 year old girl from scotland, loves to write:) review mine i'll review yours? more..

Writing
chapter one! chapter one!

A Chapter by samiashannon


chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by samiashannon