Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Samantha Grace

I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable.” he said.

        I sat down on the front steps of my house, putting my chin in my hands, bracing them on my legs.

        “Oh, it's nothing. I'm just usually a private person. I don't even talk about this kind of s**t with Lisa.”

        It was so very true. I didn't talk to anyone about it, not Lisa, not Adrian, and least of all, my mother. All of it was beyond painful.

        For some reason his pain seemed so much different from mine. His mother had no choice, my father did. The fact that he did have a choice made me angry. Where in his mind were we when he did it? Was the love I gave him not enough? The love Adrian gave him? Did it not mean anything to him at all? Where was my happy family?

        “That's understandable. I need to be going, I suppose. It's been an eventful day. “

        “Mhmm.” I agreed.

        “See you around” he half smiled.

        “Yeah.”

        There was so much to think about. Things I didn't want to think about.

        Half way down the drive I called out to him, “Hey Trevor?”

        “Yeah?” he turned his head, waiting.

        “Thanks.”

        “For what?”

        “Listening. Being a friend to someone you barely know.”

        “Violette, it's nothing off my back. It's the easiest thing in the world to do, it's a matter of realizing what's important in this world.

        I let the words linger in my head, thinking carefully about every word.

        “Thanks anyway.”

        “No problem.” and he walked away, off into the darkness.

        I went inside, shut the door and leaned against it, letting out a long breath of exhaustion. I realized I was hungry and went into the kitchen.

        What to eat?

        I decided I was in the mood for a bowl of cereal. Fruit Loops to be precise. I grabbed a bowl out of the cabinet along with the cereal.

        It should have been quiet. Adrian was gone, more than likely to a party. My mother was sleeping. It wasn't though. My thoughts were like a stormy ocean clashing against boulders, breaking on impact into countless other thoughts.

        Tap tap tap.

        The knocking at my door ceased them.

        I went to it and opened it, finding no one. I looked down.

        A single white daisy, roots intact, was lying on the door mat, with a small note.

        The note, appearing to be torn off an envelope, had something scrawled on it. I recognized the handwriting immediately.

        Again, my apologies for tonight. Hope I haven't upset you too badly. Sweet dreams. -Trevor

        I clutched it to my chest, looking around for any possible signs of him. There was nothing but the stillness of the night. A little piece of me was in disappointment. I wasn't even hungry anymore. I dumped it out it the garbage can and went to my room, daisy and note in hand.

        Lighting a cigarette, I opened my window, stuck the flower and note on the sill and stretched out across my bed.

        I missed him. I missed him more than words could describe. How could he have done this to me? I was angry, bitter, sad. I pushed the screen out and climbed onto the roof. It faced trees, where no one could see me.

        I let it out, huddling myself into a ball. All of it, only in tears. They were hot running down my cheeks, but they had no where near the burn that my memories did, each one stinging, burning my heart into a blackened, unidentifiable chunk in my chest. For some reason, I couldn't lock them back up into the little box I had placed deep in the dark cavities of my head.

        I needed Trevor. I needed my new found friend. I needed him to wrap his arms around me and to tell me I could make it through just as he had. We had a connection now. So melancholy and gray. I was used to gray, it was the color that I now saw the world in, no longer being rose colored.

        My tears finally came to a halt. I climbed back into my room, lying on my bed. I hugged my arms around a pillow, still feeling weak and vulnerable. I thought about everything that Trevor had done for me. In such a short amount of time, he had done for me what no one else had bothered doing in my whole short existence.

        I finally figured out what it was about him. It wasn't his smile that was beautiful. It was his soul. He had a spirit that was pure, full of nothing but love and compassion. Why couldn't everyone be like him? He made it seem so easy. Maybe it really was and it was just that everyone else was too selfish to see it.

        I was just as selfish as they were though. I wanted to change that. To be good like him. It was too late. I had become too tainted to ever be as good as he seemed to be.

        I was also afraid that maybe he was too good to be true. I didn't want to think it possible. He was too genuine to put up such a facade. I could see that in his bright, pale green eyes.

        The thought that I was just getting to know him didn't phase me. Call me crazy, I just might have been, but I also knew that nothing bad would ever come out of needing him. All I had ever wanted was someone I could trust, to count on without faking pity. I felt like I had that now and I was going to hang on with everything in me until it bled.

 



© 2009 Samantha Grace


Author's Note

Samantha Grace
Another draft. This is a short chapter, but I hope you enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've all ready said everything in my previous reviews- I love this story! Wonderful work and keep it up! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Nice, I really like this. These are very good for drafts too. I really like Trevor too, he seems to be a great guy. Keep up the great writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2009
Last Updated on January 20, 2009


Author

Samantha Grace
Samantha Grace

Simpsonville, SC



About
I'm Samantha. I'm 18. I don't remember not writing or reading. I have a little boy born 9/13/2007 [Shawn]. He is my heart, my life, my everything. I'm engaged to his dad [Dustin]. I also love art, mus.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Freedom Freedom

A Poem by Kt