Thunder-head

Thunder-head

A Poem by Samuel Pennell

I. Mathematical Shadows

 

The people I went to high school with

weren't really people,

they were ghosts

 

I went to high school with hallways

full of shadows and ghosts

 

When they laid down to sleep, they didn't dream, 

as ghosts don't dream of other ghosts

 

nothing passes through their minds,

and nothing ever happens

thunder clouds moved slowly through their minds

 

 

Mathematical shadows

lay across across the floors of our hallways

 

 

 

II. Darkly Lit

 

One time, in high school, we broke into an old abandoned house. My friend kicked through the door, and a beautiful plume of dust arose and curled up into the air. It arose like a ghost, and we thought we could see a spirit in it, the spirit of the lady who used to live there, but it vanished. We smoked cigarettes, and drank beer, and we spilled beer on the carpet. We wondered if the ghost of the old lady who died there would then arise, and chase us out with a broomstick.

 

My friend knocked out a board that was covering a window, and the bronze fist of the sun punched its way through. Streams of god-like sunlight illuminated the dust, and it lingered silently for a moment. For a moment, there was silence, and there was only thought. As we stood there in the slinece, I swore I could hear the thoughts of the people around me.

 

Darkness threw shadows onto the field, and our shindig slowly morphed into a night party. The darkness rolled across the sky. Lightning Bugs and the fire in the yard were the only glow that lit us. We wandered around, under the gigantic and dark summer sky. The bow of the dark summer sky was slightly illuminated at its edges. And you could smell the wet grass of summer, even through the dark.

 

Autumn was rumbling in. Darkness spread and spread, until it enveloped everything. Like a splotch of black ink spreading across a sheet of white paper. A single solitary ember crackled from a Tiki lamp and trailed up to the heavens. Somebody said that Maura was on her way to the party. There, I promised to tell her that I was madly in love with her. I would do it. I would just do it right there, all among the musty shag carpets, the fire-smell and the spilled beer. I never did, though, and she just left for college that Autumn. Like a ghost she vanished, and was gone.

 

 

© 2014 Samuel Pennell


Author's Note

Samuel Pennell
This is a tale of the teenage years. It is meant to have a bit of a gothic feel of a vivid red rose on a black background. The beauty in the dark, as it were. I like for some of my writing to have a "dark and clear" feel to it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I see you did a poetic theme into a story line of a narrative to accent this read of yours to the audience...and the whole conclusion seems to fit together...thanks for the invite...just busy with my copy writer work and my RR's just keep piling up to an above the water mark...I'm sinking to catch up...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

Glen-Whenever you want is fine with me! -Sam
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

thanks for understanding...the next few months will be busy for me...



Reviews

Poem first: This struck me as an outcast looking in, but not in the present sense, but as a reflection of ones past experiences; the people are ghost, the hallways are full of ghost, why? The answer, when the narrator looks back on that time there’s no memories, no long-time friends, just a blur of faces, nameless occupants to a dismal memory.

lay across (,) across the floors of our hallways

I’m a bit conflicted as to how I should review the narration; you have the contrast of light then dark, the ghost of a woman, hence the ghost of a lost love . . . a premonition in sorts, but your timeline is bit abrupt rather than bleeding in. I understand this is more for artistic and poetic favor, but from a prose perceptive, it has the elements, but it’s a bit constricted. I did enjoy the read, and the metaphors, but I would have liked to have seen it a little more elaborate, just my opinion. You do have a talent for word-shaping, an ability I enjoy, so I will look into your work in the future. I hope this helps some.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, Jack. I think your observations are interesting. I will take them into account. .. read more
You write very well and get the feeling across . Good descriptive writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the poem and even more so the prose. It was very well written and held my interest throughout. A very strong write, with a delicate hand. Sometimes we writers tend to overstate but you did this very well. You are really a talented writer. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you Patricia! God bless you and thank you very much. It's great to hear that you think I'm a t.. read more
Patricia

9 Years Ago

You are welcome and yes I will read more as my time frees up. :)
Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
A very interesting a vividly detailed and interesting work here, i loved how i can relate to what was being said since im still in high school myself. Thank you for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoyed the scene very much as it flows from the natural to the supernatural and from desire and disappointment. There were a couple small issues with the writing accounting for the amount of people involved throughout. Also, the statement about the people being shadows and ghosts doesn't seem to connect to the next part when the speaker is talking about having friends to me. I mean, at first it sounds like the speaker is an individual who is an outsider, or different somehow than the rest of the school which makes it odd when the next part talks about friends partying. I like the end and how the missed opportunity of asking a girl out ties into the 'ghost' theme though.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It does have a certain gothic beauty to it...

The past can't be held...it wafts away from our clutching fingers like the ghosts we remember...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Was there an hallucinates going on as you walking through the hallways at school?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

Haha! No. May sound like it, though!
Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

........it's one big metaphor there, bud!
I know my high School days felt like this sometimes lol Great write as always

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

Thank you Manda! I really appreciate your reading.
I found this so relevant. I think the only thing I got out of HS was me. It was much like a four year haunted house trip. Well penned. This piece is highly atmospheric and there is a dark beauty to it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

"A four year haunted house trip." I think you nailed it. A haunted house ride......but with real peo.. read more
This is great my friend. It is not a poem though. It sure is a fabulous story. There are good poets and great story writers, and you my friend, I believe, have the edge in story writing. ditch the poetry for now. Based on the imagery and the elaboration of speech I've seen you'd made a heck of a short story author or novelist. Best of luck to you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

10 Years Ago

Well, I sure love the poetry. I appreciate the compliment, but I don't see it in the cards that I'd .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

794 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 19, 2013
Last Updated on November 29, 2014
Tags: teenagers, parties, darkness, angst, loneliness, teenage blues, rebellion, teenage rebellion, depression, gothic, night, nighttime, evening, sunset

Author

Samuel Pennell
Samuel Pennell

ME



About
I'll think of something later. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It Is You It Is You

A Poem by Trace