Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Savannah Willis

I stood in front of a stone wall with a granite staircase going up the middle of it. The sky all around was a beautiful, velvety purple that turned into a rich gold that kissed the horizon. In front of the wall was a turquoise river that flowed so calmly. A light fog hovered just over the ground. The hem of the dress that I wore danced in the wind. The fog around it separated in streams of silvery smoke.

As if they had a mind of their own my feet started moving. I put one foot on the smooth, cool stone and started the climb to the top. I ran my hands over the symbols that were carved into the sides of the wall. The river flowed between the two great rocks that towered over everything.

I walked to the edge of the stone and sat with my feet hanging over the edge. I looked out before me and saw a great kingdom in the distance  with a great castle in the center of it. It looked so peaceful and quiet

In the blink of an eye everything changed. The sky was black and where the sky had once been golden was now a blood red. The peaceful kingdom was now blazing with fire. I could hear screaming and cries for help.

I stood up in shock as I struggled to catch my breath. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and when I looked down I saw a blood ridden silver tip piercing through me. I fell to my knees as dark blood poured out of me. I saw a pair of bare feet come into view.

The person bent down and lifted my face to meet theirs. It was a girl who looked my age. She had long raven hair that blew slightly in the breeze and her eyes were a deep blue. Her red lips curved into a smile revealing perfect, white teeth. She leaned in, kissed my forehead and reached behind me. I let out a gasp as she pulled the sword from my abdomen.

I fell to the floor clenching my stomach. Her face was the last thing I saw before everything went black.


I shot up in bed trying to catch my breath. ‘Thank God it was just a dream’ I thought to myself. I rolled out of bed and went to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and saw that my hair was plastered to my face by sweat. I thought about the dream I had and how real it felt.

Shaking my head I went over to the shower and turned it on. I discarded my clothes and stepped under the warm liquid. I stood there with my eyes closed just letting the comforting feeling of the shower wash over me.

I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and hunched over in pain holding myself. I heard the sound of the girl laughing and quickly opened my eyes and shot up looking around. “Get a hold of yourself Scarlett” I said outloud to myself.

I turned off the shower and wrapped myself in a towel. I ran my fingers through my long, dark hair trying to decide what to do with it. Deciding to just leave it as it is I leave the bathroom and head to my closet.

I opened the door and look through my stuff. I found a beautiful dress that had a beautiful black skirt, floral print top, and a black cover up on. For my shoes I decided on a pair of simple, black flats. I take off my towel and get dressed. Once done I grab my bag and head down stairs.

“Good morning dear.” My mom greeted when I walked into the kitchen.

“Hey mom.” I said Sitting on top of the counter.

“Young lady, how many times do I have to tell you.” I heard my dad say from behind me. I jump down and head to the refrigerator where I grabbed a cup of yogurt.

“Aren’t you going to eat something with that?” My mom asked.

“No, this will be fine until lunch later.” I replied with a shrug. I heard my phone vibrate so I walked over to where it laid on the counter. Picking it up I see that it’s a message from my best friend Emma. “Emma’s here, I have to go. I see y’all later.” I said as I walked out of the door.

“Don’t we look cute today.” Emma said when I opened the door to the car.

“Thanks, I guess you look okay too.” I replied with a grin as I got in the car. She scoffed and playfully smacked my arm. Emma started the car and took off down the road.

“So, how’d your morning go because mine was terrible.” She asked. I thought back to the dream that I had and the hallucination I had in the shower and decided to go with, “Fine. Why was your’s so terrible?” I mocked.

“Well, you know how my mom’s a loser and is always out drinking?” She paused and waited for my response. I nodded so she continued. “Okay so she didn’t come home until seven thirty this morning and when she did she was drunk so I had to get Tyler ready and get him to the babysitter but on the way there he threw up in his car seat so I had to pull over on the side of the rode to change him and clean it up. I’m surprised I was able to get you on time.” Emma informed me.

“Well, it sounds like you’ve gone through a lot this morning.” I said placing my hand on her shoulder. “If it counts for anything I’m proud of how well you care for you brother.” I offered a soft smile. She glanced over and smiled back.

“So, that was my morning. What happened with you, Why are things just fine?” Emma questioned.

“Nothing happened. I mean, I woke up, got a shower...” I paused as I remember once again what had happened in the shower. Shaking the thought from my head I continue, “Yeah, nothing happened.”

“Oh you’re so lying, something had to have happened for you to zone out like that so spill.” She pushed enthusiastically.

“Well…” I started to say but to my relief we pulled into the school parking lot. “Hey we’re here, we better get going don’t wanna be late do we?” I said jumping out of the car. I closed the door behind me and sighed in relief.

“We so aren’t done with this conversation!” My best friend yelled. I hurried to class and took my seat in the back and put my earbuds in. A few minutes later the bell rang and in walked the the teacher.

“Good morning everyone, please take out-” Mrs. McCullers started to say when the door opened. I froze when I saw who it was. It was the girl from my dream.

“My apologies but I think I might be lost. I’m looking for Mrs. McCullers class?” The girl said in a sweet, delicate voice. She sounds nothing like the girl in my dream.

“Ah yes. you must be the new student. What’s your name darling?” Mrs. McCuller asked.

She smiled showing perfect, white teeth and said, “I will be leaving soon, it will make no difference if you know my name or not.”

“Mhm, take a seat.” The teacher said and turned her attention away from the mysterious student.

The girl looked at me and grinned from ear to ear. She glided toward me and sat in the seat right in front of me. I stared at the back of her head unable to look away.  As soon as the bell rang I hurried out of the classroom and headed to the library.

I got there and immediately went to my favorite place. I went up the stairs to the second floor, the best fiction books were up here. Few people ever came up here plus there’s nobody really in the library which was great.

I looked through the books, row by row. I paused from searching and looked up. In the corner of the library, where there was hardly any light, was a bookshelf. I don’t know why but I felt drawn to the shelf.

I slowly made my way over there and saw that there was a single book on the top shelf. I reached up and grabbed it bringing it down to look at. It had old written all over it with its worn, cover.

I turned it over as I examined it, running my fingers over the designs that were engraved into it. I walked over and sat in a chair and opened the book. ‘What the heck?’ I thought to myself when I saw that there was nothing in the book.

I flipped through all of the pages. Nothing. There wasn’t a single thing written in this book. I closed it and sat it down on the table and simply stared at it. “I’ve lost my mind. And now I’m talking to myself.” I quietly said outloud to myself. I rolled my eyes to myself and got up from the chair.

“I can't wait for you to be able to read the book. I love it though the end gets quite tragic.” I heard the oh too familiar voice say from behind me.

I turned around and there in front of me was the mysterious girl. She's beautiful. Just like in my dream she had long, raven hair that rested on her shoulders and deep blue eyes. She wore a dress that came up right above her knees. The top was a cream color spaghetti strap and the bottom was blue with pink flowers and a brown belt in the middle.

I stared unable to think of anything to say. Finally I said, “What are you talking about?”

“The book.” She replied pointing to the book that laid on the table.

“There's nothing in it so how could you possible know what story it has?” I questioned.

She let out a slight chuckled and replied, “It'll come to you.”

“What are you talking about, what do you mean it'll come to me?” I asked as frustration started to take over.

“It's not a book you read with your eyes but a world you see with your mind.” The girl said.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I snapped.

She placed a hand on my arm and responded, “Open your mind Scarlett, let it come to you.”

I stepped back with raised eyebrows, “How do you know my name?”

Before she answered the bell rang. She smiled then turned and walked away. ‘Who is this girl?’ I thought to myself. I picked up the book and looked it over again before putting it in my bag.

I hurried out of the library and to class. Once there I quickly spotted Emma in the front row and went to sit next to her.

“Why are we in the front?” I asked.

“Rumor has it that Mr. Rogers quit and the new teacher is super hot.” She replied putting away her handheld mirror. “But enough about that, what's up with you?” She added with a questioning glare.

“Nothing, why do you ask?” I responded.

“Well this morning you were gonna tell me something then bolted and now I can just tell something is majorly off about you, so, what's up?” Emma said.

Just then the door opened and everybody turned to look. Sure enough it was the new teacher and I must say he was quite the eye candy.

“Hello everybody, my name is Mr. Rashford.” The man said. Every single girl in the class was hooked.

I sat the rest of the class barely paying attention to a single they Mr. Rashford said. When the bell finally rang I gathered my things but before I could get out the door I heard, “Ms. Ashcroft, please stay for a moment.”

I sighed and stopped at the entrance of the door. “Please close the door.” He said once everybody cleared out of the room.

I did as he asked, put a smile on my face and turned around. “What's up sir?”

“Are you okay Ms. Ashcroft?” He asked me getting up from his desk.

“Please, call me Scarlett.” I relied.

“Well, Scarlett, you seem a little troubled.” Mr. Rashford stated crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against his desk.

I looked down and thought for a moment about how to respond. “Just some personal stuff sir.” I replied.

“Please, call me Eli.” He said with a smile.

“Don't you think that would be a little inappropriate for a teacher to allow a student to call them by their first name?” I countered.

“I'm more than just your teacher.” He replied with a grin that looked almost sad. Eli took a step towards me so I took a step back very sceptical about this man.

“I need to go to class.” I said and quickly left the room.  

The rest of the day dragged on and all I wanted to do was go home. Once the last bell rang I didn't bother waiting for Emma, instead I decided to walk home.

Once home I walked to the front porch and sat down on the porch swing. The sky had grew a dark grey symbolizing that it was going to rain. I felt a sadness in my chest while looking at the sky but I had no clue why.

“Scarlett, are you okay?” I heard my mom ask.

“Yeah I’m fine. Why would you think something’s wrong?” I countered.

“You seem upset about something. Would you like to talk about it?” My mother said.

“There’s nothing to talk about.” I replied.

She looked down at her hands and looked as if there was something she wanted to tell me.

“Is there anything you want to talk about?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I’m just worried about you is all.” She said placing a hand on my knee.

“What are you worried about?” I pushed.

“I don’t know, I worry about you is all. I love you.” Stated my mother kissing me on the forehead.

“Love you too mom.” I replied. She gave me a sad smile when I said that and got up.

“You should come in soon before it starts raining.” My mother said. I nodded and turned to look back out at the sky. ‘What was that about?’ I thought to myself. I put my hand over the book through my bag and decided to go inside.


© 2016 Savannah Willis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow!! loved it... very mysterious and intriguing... i loved how it began and the way the intensity continued throughout the whole chapter is great to see... it reads very well, descriptive and interesting... i loved how you made it more breathtaking by placing the girl of Scarlett's dream into her real life, as it caught the reader's attention.... a nice start to the story my frnd.... full ratings... looking forward to see what is coming in the next chapter.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Savannah Willis

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me.
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

its absolutely fine frnd... you are welcome... looking forward to read the next chapter....



Reviews

Perhaps it is just my browser but the text seems to be getting cut off at the right side. It makes it very hard to read cohesively past the first three or four lines.

Posted 8 Years Ago


When I read your writing, I can almost imagine myself in that place, in that moment. You have a good way of detailing and piecing the text in a careful manner, making sure it's well written and detailed but at the same time not boring.
Try to replace "said" with other words to avoid repetition, but otherwise keep it up. :) Your writing is breathtaking. Keeps the reader wanting more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow!! loved it... very mysterious and intriguing... i loved how it began and the way the intensity continued throughout the whole chapter is great to see... it reads very well, descriptive and interesting... i loved how you made it more breathtaking by placing the girl of Scarlett's dream into her real life, as it caught the reader's attention.... a nice start to the story my frnd.... full ratings... looking forward to see what is coming in the next chapter.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Savannah Willis

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me.
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

its absolutely fine frnd... you are welcome... looking forward to read the next chapter....

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2016
Last Updated on April 11, 2016


Author

Savannah Willis
Savannah Willis

TX



About
I love to write but I'm a fairly new author... One of my biggest dreams is to become a nation wide best seller! more..

Writing