Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by sgheath

Several days had past. Jennifer had not seen nor heard from Noah. She was lying on the pier face down basking in the morning sun. Romantic memories ran through her head as she relived the evening she spent with him in her mind, but refused to let it overwhelm her now.

“Could it be,” she heard a voice behind her.

“Jennifer, Jennifer Winters.”

She turned her head to see the outline of a figure in the midst of the sun's rays.

“Yes, You're..” stumbling, Jennifer tried frantically to remember who he was as she quinted her eyes to try to see him clearly.

“Timothy, Timothy Robinson. I met you here several summers ago. What a pleasure to see you again.”

Timothy was a clean cut, preppy sort of guy. Reasonably handsome and terribly intelligent, the type that always wore only the most expensive designer clothes and held his head over everyone else's. Somehow he always managed to seem shy to her. At this moment though, he was staring at Jennifer with a somewhat sheepish grin. Did she really intimidate him?

“Well, well, I see you're not shy anymore, she remarked back.

That comes with success, I guess. I have my own business now. Stockbroker, dealing in big money. Everyone else's that is. I always did like playing with other peoples money, he laughed to outloud. So are you on vacation here?, Timothy asked.

“You could say that. I'm an accountant and I've been putting in a lot of hours lately so I decided to give myself a breather, responded Jennifer.

“I must say you look fantastic. And your parents, how are they?” Timothy questioned.

“They're quite well, thank you. They're traveling right now and offered me the cottage for a while. Someone has to make use of this beautiful beach.”

“Well, I must be off, money doesn't wait . Would you join me for dinner tonight?

Against her better judgment she said yes. What if Noah was to call. Could she really turn him down? She'd have to though, she didn't like to go back on her word to anyone. It would be a nice change anyway. Despite his arrogant demeanor, Timothy Robinson was not a bad catch. He just didn't happen to be her type... but still, he would make a good friend. Right now, a friend was what she needed most.

As she lay there discussing the future evening plans with Timothy, she had the distinct sensation she was being watched. Still in conversation with him, she turned her head but did not see anyone. The feeling didn’t go away.

“See you later then“, timothy shouted as he waked back down the pier.

“I look forward to it“, she replied.

How truly boring he was, she thought, but nice. He did seem sincere. Not at all like the mysterious Noah though. There was something about him she just could not get out of her mind. But, tonight she must keep her mind on Timothy. It was really funny that she was attracted to Noah instead of Timothy. Normally she was not attracted to the bad-boy-type.

Well, I guess I'll take the plunge now, she thought. She stood up and dove off the end of the pier. Ah, how refreshing. Nothing like a good swim to exercise the body and the mind. Jennifer had always been around the water growing up so she was like a fish.. Thrashing about in the water she got a good workout and then climbed back up the end of the pier and grabbed a towel that layed on a post nearby. She stood there at the end of the pier drying herself off and watched Timothy driving away in the distance. She did not really want to go out with him but felt she needed the distraction. He was, after all, very charming and had plenty of money it seemed.

The Jarmans, nearby neighbors, were on shore packing up their boat for an outing. There were only a few people on the beach at this hour, later in the afternoon there would be more though. People in their boats were scuriing up and down the river now. In the distance, a large barge was slowly moving down the river. Jennifer walked back to the cottage and layed her towel on the railing to dry. She sat down on a swing that hung under the cottage. She could see, without being seen! There were people walking from the cottages behind her now, up to the beach in front of her. Children, playing in the sand. When she became bored of swinging, she walked up the steps to the cottage door.

She changed into an old pair of faded jean shorts and a red halter top. Grabbing a fat-free frozen meal from the freezer, she heated it up in the microwave for a quick lunch. After earthing, she sat down on the sofa with a book and read till she drifted off to sleep. When she woke it was almost five o'clock! She had to get ready for her date. Jennifer really did not bring a lot of evening wear and chose a simple, but elegant red dress for the evening. She was still staring in the mirror putting makeup on when she hear4d a knock on her door.

Just a moment, she shouted

Expecting to see Timothy, she was surprised to find Noah standing in front of her. He wasn't dressed up now in his usual finery, but in a pair of dark jeans and a blue shirt. He was smiling at her as he stood at the door waiting for her to respond.

What are you doing her, she asked? I was just getting ready to go out.

Not to worry my dear, I won't interfere with your dinner plans. Just thought I'd invite you to go sailing tomorrow.

Well, I don't know. You could have at least called, she answered somewhat angry that he had just showed up at her door.

Now, now, are we going to play games?

If anyone's trying to play games, its you, as she slammed the screen door in his face angrily and bothered by his sudden condescending attitude. But then, she should have expected that of somewhat of his social stature. He didn't have a clue about living the simple life. Something that she loved!

She had not noticed Timothy coming up the steps behind Noah. My dear girl, is this gent bothering you?

No, no its all right. I think you should go Noah.

Very well, you know how to find me, as he turned with a bewildered look on his face and a smirk y smile towards Timothy.

Who is that guy, timothy asked staring at Noah as he walked down the steps. Noah just turned his head and smiled.

Just a neighbor. He's living in the old Landour place.

Well, obviously from that bit of conversation that I heard, he's more than just a neighbor. He seems just as weird as that old house.

Actually he's quite charming when he want to be. Enough about him. Shall we go.

Right this way my lady as he pointed to a silver Mercedes Benz parked at the bottom of the steps.

Seating herself in the car, Jennifer began polite conversation, trying to recover from the previous conflict.

Now, tell me about you. What have you been doing with yourself all these years.

You know, working. After working with a large New York firm, I came back home and started a business of my own and doing very well I might add.

I always knew you would make something of yourself. As they pulled from the driveway, she could not help but catch a glimpse of the Landour house. Yes, she could see his faint image looking out the upstairs window. He got what he deserved she thought trying to justify her actions.

Timothy was well mannered and tried hard to do all the right things to make her happy, but he just could not hold her attention. Her mind kept wondering. Timothy took her to a nice restaurant in New Bern where the had lobster and steak. He was a perfect gentleman despite his sometimes arrogant nature. Leaving the restaurant, they decided to go to a popular lounge for dancing. Jennifer was a great dancer but didn't know how Timothy would rate as a dancer.

They found seats about midway the room and sat down and ordered drinks. When the first slow song played, Timothy held out his hand as an invitation to dance. Jennifer got up and followed his lead. He was smooth and flawless... like a smooth wine. Had she misjudged him? He gracefully guided her across the dance floor and held her close. When the song was over they went back to their seats.

I had no idea you were such a fine dancer Timothy.

There are a lot of things about me you don't know, all good, of course. And you, you are absolutely divine on the dance floor yourself.

Why thank you kind sir, we'll just have to do that again, and she laughed. It felt good now to relax. Timothy was good company. They danced the night away into the wee hours of the morning. He quickly made her feel at ease without pressuring her for anything more. Don't think he even wanted more! Just a good time. Timothy took her back to her cabin and walked her to her door like the true gentleman that he was. She thanked him for they good time they had and gave him a quick kiss.

It had been a long day, she grabbed a Pepsi from the fridge and went off to bed. She slept well into the mid hours of the morning. When she did get up, she made herself breakfast as usual, dressed, and walked out on the back deck to see if anyone else was stirring about. She spent the rest of the week sunbathing, swimming and just trying to get Noah off her mind. Timothy was busy at work so she didn't see or hear from him. And there was no sign of Noah. It appeared that he only wanted to be with her on his terms.

It was Sunday evening and Jennifer was packing her things to return to the city. Still there was no word from Noah. Oh well, she just could not put her life on hold for a man she hardly knew. She opened the door of her car and heard a familiar goodbye from Charlie.

So you're leaving us is you?

Yes, goodbye and take care of yourself. I'll be back in a few weeks.

Do that please, Charlie remarked smiling. I may have more letters for you to read by then.

It will be a pleasure.

Jennifer seated herself behind the wheel and started the car. She was backing out of the drive without paying any real attention to where she was going. When she had stopped to change gears, she saw the image of Noah standing outside her door.

Did you really think you would leave without saying goodbye to me, he said to her angrily.

Well, I do have a life of my own, you know, as she again attempted to continue to put the car in gear.

Bracing his hands on her door, he remarked to her, maybe it is presumptuous of me, but I was hoping that might include me.

Yes, you presume too much.

While his hands were still planted firmly on the door, she continued to put the car in gear and start down the road until he turned loose. He looked stunned and just threw his arms up in the air. Like he had never been turned down before. Well enough of this, she thought. She had to get back to Raleigh. Tomorrow was another workday.

Monday, back to work, things as usual! She wondered, were they, would they ever be again. She shuffled papers on her desk, fumbling through mail that had mounted up over the past few eeks. Trying to make an honest effort to look busy. what;s this, she caught herself saying to herself as she held an envelop in front of her. It was postmarked London, England. Odd, she thought, she didn't know anyone in England. She quickly ripped open the back of the envelop. It began in a very concerning manner.

Dear Ms. Winters

I know that you were an acquaintance of my late sister Margaret. She mentioned

your name often. Certainly you are aware of her demise. The reason I am

writing to you Ms. Winters is well, because I am not satisfied at all with the

findings of the police. The fact that they could let the case go unsolved. Do you

have any idea at all who might have murdered my sister? Enclosed is a ticket

for your passage here if you would be willing to come to see me.

Sir William Vincent Landour

As noted on the letter, attached was an airline ticket undated for first class passage to London. An invitation to England. How strange! It does sound intriguing, thought Jennifer. Yes, I must go to see what this is all about. She always did love a good mystery, just never thought she would be in one!

Jennifer continued working for the next several weeks while making preparations to leave for England. Work seemed so boring since all of her recent adventures, but still it paid the bills. She had to at least wait until some loose ends were tied up and her assistant had time to take her vacation before she could leave.

Now this was a trip she was look info forward too. A mystery, a new place, it could be just what the doctor ordered! At the very least, it would be nice to get away again. She had to hurry and finalize some matters so that her assistant could take over until her return.




© 2014 sgheath


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath