Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by sgheath

 “Your flight will be boarding in ten minutes Ma'am” stated the attendant.

Jennifer sat down in a row of seats looking out over the runway. She was lost in her thoughts about Sir William, Mrs. Landour and of course, Noah.

“You didn't think I could let you go without saying goodbye did you? As a large bouquet of flowers was placed in front of her face. She remembered those familiar words. Yes, again it was Noah. She stood and hugged him firmly. He always did seem to pop up at just the right moment.

“It won't be for long, I promise you” she heard him say in her ear.

Flight 704 now boarding for Raleigh-Durham, USA at gate 3,” the attendant announced.

“I have to go now. Will I hear from you or are you just going to disappear form my life again?

“As I told you, it won't be long. I'll see you soon. You know my time is limited but I do want to spend as much time as I can with you.

She hugged him again and walked toward the boarding ramp. Looking back to wave at him, he had vanished into the mass crowd of people. There was not even a glimpse of him. But then, that was his way.

“Seat 5A please, the attendant said as Jennifer boarded the plane.

Fasten your seat belt, stated another attendant.

Jennifer placed a pillow the attendant had given her under her head to relax and thought about the events of her trip. And how exactly was she supposed to find the answered that Sir William needed?

Had it all been some elaborate dream she thought? She did not know how to solve a murder. Why was it being left to her? Such a responsibility. But then, she felt like she owed it to Margaret. She could still remember the first day she met her. Jennifer was walking down the small beach and Margaret was standing in the shallow water next to her with her dress pulled up mid calf and a funny straw hat on her head. She just stood there wiggling her toes in the water like some silly schoolgirl. How she hated growing old she had mentioned and just wanted to feel playful. Jennifer smiled as she thought of that day and the many visits she d with her over a cup of tea in her cozy parlor, as she would call it. But then, she remembered another day. The day she and the detectives found her limp body. Yes, she owed it to her memory to find out what really happened. She didn't know where to begin, but she must find a way.

They were soon serving lunch. The time was passing much too quickly. In a couple of hours she would be back home. Back to her little apartment and a much busier life. A nap would be good now. Since there was little else to do on such a long flight. Finally, later in the evening an attendant woke her to ask her to again fasten her seatbelt for the descent. Oh my, she thought, she had neglected to notify Jason of her arrival. Departing the plane, she walked to the nearest telephone and dialed Jason's number.

Jason, its me Jennifer. I'm sorry to catch you off guard but could you possibly come and pick me up. I'm sorry I did not give you advance notice.

Sure, I'll be right there, answered Jason.

Jennifer sat in a waiting area in view of the doorway where she could be easily seen. She was reading the current edition of the News and Observer when Jason arrived.

Jennifer, I'd like you to meet Nina.

A pleasure to meet you.

Jason, please tell me I didn't disturb anything.

No, silly, we were just playing cards, he smiled.

What strip poker?

No you silly girl. Come on now, lets get you home. Jason commented as he grabbed her luggage and drove to Jennifer's apartment. Nina followed behind them in Jason's pickup truck for the return back to Jason's apartment. Jennifer got out of the car and hugged Jason and Nina and thanked them for taking care of her car and apartment. She waved fondly as they stepped back into Jason's pickup and took off down the busy highway.

The traffic was backed up bumper to bumper. This was a far cry from the quiet hills of the English countryside. After about forty minutes Jennifer finally reached her humble abode. Home at last, she thought. It was Saturday so she still had a day to rest before going back tow work on Monday. Even with the nap on the plane, she was beginning to feel tired. She was actually going to miss Fanny not barging into her room to wake her up in the morning. And sleep she did. Jet lag had set in for sure. She had not realized how really tired she was.

Her apartment was in the neat order that she had left it. Lively plants adorned the small window seat over her kitchen sink. Opening the refrigerator, however, she remembered she deliberately did not buy groceries before she left. For her convenience there was a small cafe just a few blocks down. It was a beautiful morning so she decided to walk the short distance.

Tow eggs over light, toast and coffee please she asked of the waitress.

Yes Ma'am, she answered politely.

The breakfast was enjoyable but certainly could not compare to that prepared by Ester. She had tons of things to do before going back to work the wash, dusting, the usual household chores. Back to the old dream. Now she had an even greater appreciation of Landour Castle. Still, she must figure out how to resolve the mystery. Oh well, she thought. Maybe next weekend she could go back to Kensley Beach and ask some of the neighbors what they know. Endless chores carried Jennifer into the evening hours. Ring... Ring... Oh yes, the one thing she had found in London so relaxing. No phone.

Hello!

Well Jenny girl how was your trip? A middle-aged voice asked.

It was nice Mom. Seemed like a real fantasy staying in a castle. London was beautiful too. Didn't have much time for sightseeing though.

Meet any young men dear?

Ah Mom. As a matter of fact I did.

Anyone I should know about dear?

No Mom, nothing like that.

No Jennifer, you know you really should be thinking about settling down.

Mom, please! I have plenty of time for that. Besides.. I have a business to run and I haven't found the right man yet.

Well then, just thought I'd let you know we'd be home in a couple of weeks. Your dad says he needs a rest from all the traveling so I guess we'll see you then.

Sure Mom. Say hello to Dad for me and tell him not to worry, I'm fine.

1. Jennifer hung up the phone with a sigh. Her parents always did know how to keep tabs on her. Oh well. Another load of wash to do and off to bed for me. The morning brought a lot of

things for Jennifer, none the less of which was rain. Even her large umbrella could not keep her dry from the downpour.

Why Jennifer, don't we look like a little wet puppy.

Cute Renee, Jennifer answered back to the perky little receptionist as she entered the office. She never did seem to be anything but cheerful.. Perfect for such a tiresome job... and boring for most people.

And where pray tell is my dear partner.

Oh you know Michael, he decided to play golf and called in sick.

That scoundrel, I sure hope he has golf partners with fat pocketbooks.

The two girls chuckled as Jennifer walked past Renee's desk into her office.

Oh Jennifer, by the way...

Holy Cow... Renee heard Jenifer scream at the top of her lungs. Every corner of Jennifer's office was filled with flowers. Who did this... no let me guess, Noah!

Guess you found the surprise, the card is there on your desk.

Just thought I'd track you down and let you know someone is thinking about you. It was signed Noah as she thought. She couldn't help but smile with delight.

That must be some guy to go to such an expense.

Gee, he must not have an accountant like me, Jennifer laughed still holding the card.

Well, enough of this nonsense, bring me the Petit file please.

Sure thing boss.

And don't call me boss, Jennifer screamed back and hold all my calls will you!

Sure thing boss, shouted Renee laughingly.

Jennifer sat down to review the Petit file that Renee had placed neatly in the center of her desk while stacks and stacks of other files were placed neatly in every open space on her desk. She worked late into the evening reviewing statement, financial reports, stock options and other ticklish matters for her patient clients. Jennifer was very good at what she did and very thorough. No page went unread if it meant saving a client even one penny. Sleepily, she folded her arms and laid down her head on her then crowded desk. Even with the loud pounding of his feet, she had not noticed Jason entering her office and now staring down at her. Jason shoved her right should gently.

Hey, sleepyhead. Is this how you get your client's problems solved, he laughed out loud.

Jason, what on earth are you doing here.

Look girl, knowing you like I do I knew you would still be here. With no supper too, I'll bet.

Well, I guess it got lost in the shuffle too

What's wit all these flowers

I guess you could say I have a persistent admirer.

Yeah, I guess that would bout sum this clutter up. The dimples in his checks were very distinct now from his laughter.

The reason I'm here Jen-o-girl is grub! Se here.. House of Want Specialty. Out of a large brown bag he sat on her desk a box of shrimp fried rice with sweet and sour chick egg drop soup and egg rolls.

My dear Jason, you do think of everything don't you.

What are cousins for?

Now would you like to tell me what the great mystery was bout this sudden trip to London.

Jason... how would you like to do some private-eye work?

Who me! You know I've always been on the nosy side. Just what are you up to cuz?

Remember back several months ago Mrs. Landour was murdered. You know the elderly lady that lives in that huge house at Kensley Beach.

Ah yes. Such a pity for an innocent old lady to be bludgeoned to death like that.

Well, it was her brother that summoned me to London. He's not satisfied that the police have done everything they can to find her killer.

So he wants you to play Sherlock holds I suppose?

Yes, something like that. But I'm really at a loss to know where to start. I'm going back down there this weekend, could you come with me?

Just by chance I don't have any plans this weekend, sure it should be fun.




© 2014 sgheath


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath