Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by sgheath

Yawning, Jennifer finally decided to call it a night. She cut off her computer, packed up several items into her briefcase and switched off the desk lamp.

She had just stepped outside her office when she was attacked from behind. It was dark except for the dim security lights. The intruder had his right arm around her neck and his left hand held a g gun to her head. She tried to scream but no sound came from her lips. His grasp was too tight around her neck.

You want to know so badly about Margaret, now you'll know what it was like to die like her, came the voice behind her as he pressed his arm tightener against her throat.

What was it about that voice that sounded so familiar to her? She couldn't quite place a name with the voice but she knew she had heard it before.

Just couldn't leave things alone could you? It was all working out perfectly. Her son was out of the picture... and Noah was no problem... He didn't have a clue as to what was going on. He thought he was going to end up with it all anyway! So, why did you have to go and meddle in things? It wasn't really even about the money, don't you know! It's always been about her and how she treated me... like I didn't exist. She didn't want anyone to know I was her brother. She ignored me all these years. Living within eyesight of her just waiting for the old b***h to die, I was. After all, half of that money should have been mine. But no, the old b***h had to go and change her will! I went there that night just to talk to her but she wouldn't listen to reason. I didn't really mean to kill her. WE got into an argument and I grabbed her and started shaking her. I only meant to scare her but she slipped and fell. I planted that pendent you were so curious about so you wouldn't suspect me!

Oh, my God, Jennifer thought. Now she remembered. It was Charlie Branson. But no, it couldn't be. He seemed to be such a sweet old man at Kenslye Beach.

Now that you know you'll have to meet her same fat as he slammed Jennifer up against the wall.

Stop Charlie, Jennifer called him by name although she couldn't see his face clearly as he stood in the shadows. She was g rowing weak now as she could barely speak the words.

How did you know it was me?

Your voice. I remembered your voice. How could you kill her. She was so sweet and loving. What did she do to you to make you turn on your own flesh and blood.

She didn't love me! Nobody did! Oh year, the money was important... but shew as ashamed of me and I deserved better than that1 All those years I kept up that old house and all I was to her was a paid servent.

But what about the pendant?

A fake! I wanted you to think Noah did it! Guess I didn't quite convince you!

OK, Mr. Brandson or whatever your name is! Drop your weapon, came a voice from behind them. You're surrounded. Now lets stop this before someone else gets hurt. Shouted the officer.

Charlie turned around with the gun in his hand and fired at the officer and the officer returned fire hitting him in the shoulder. Charlie fell to the floor, blood flowing from the wound.

Call and ambulance, we wouldn't want this b*****d to die on us now would we, He shouted to another officer

When the officer cam closer to Jennifer, she recognized the face of Felix Bordeaux.

But I thought you were just a private detective, questioned Jennifer.

Well, if I had told you I was a copy would you have talked to me?

No!

Well, there you have it, he said laughingly. I needed to find out your connection to the case first hand and to confirm my suspicions.

Jennifer watched sadly as the EM T's loaded Charlie onto a stretcher.

Will he be alright, she asked of the EMT's!

Oh my yes, said Felix. Well, enough to serve the rest of his life in prison anyway.

I just don't understand it. Jennifer remarked stilling shaking her head in disbelief. She had grown quite fond of Charlie.

Jennifer started to walk out the door when again a familiar face approached her.

Well, what on earth are you doing here? Asked Jennifer.

Just thought you mike like some company about now.

You mean you knew?

It was Noah! The same handsome face. The same warm body now that was holding her again and stroking her hair with his large powerful hands.

W..e..ll, lets just say I'm not all that surprised at how things turned out. Let's get out of her shall we. Are you sure you're ok, do you need medical treatment of any kind.

I'm ok and that sounds fine to me.

They walked arm in arm to Noah's nearby car. She felt secure again with him. He always seemed to show up at just the right moment.

She looked at him in wonder. Just how did you know?

Felix called me. He happens to be a close friend of the family. Besides, you didn't think I'd let you have all the fun did you, he said laughingly as he closed the car door.



THE END



Copyright 2007 Sue Heath






© 2014 sgheath


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath