Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by sgheath

Now Jennifer knew what she might be facing. An inevitable confrontation again with Noah! She certainly hoped that somehow he was not involved in Margaret's murder... And if not, was there some strange significance in that unusual pendant? So many questions with no answers.

Jennifer kissed Sir William gently on the check and said goodnight for the evening. She could tell he was troubled far more than even he was willing to admit. As she left the dinning hall, she was startled by Rudolph who had sneaked up behind her.

Rudolph, you startled me, said Jennifer.

Sorry, didn't mean to. Just thought I'd ask how long you might be staying.

Just a few more days, I'm afraid. As much as I would love to stay awhile, I do have a job back home that requires my attention.

I understand. Was just wondering if you would like to take in some sights tomorrow. I know a great little bistro that is just calling your name.

Jennifer chuckled and then consented to the outing. She promised to meet Rudolph at eight the next morning and then proceeded to her room to retire for the night. Sleeping in such a large bed felt very unusual to her. There was room enough here for five people, she thought. There was no TV, no radio, no video games, just a large drafty room. With the quiet of the night, she drifted off to sleep. Jennifer didn't have any trouble sleeping.

Rise and shine Missy, Jennifer heard a voice call in the early morning hours.

It was Fanny, of course. She was her usual jolly self. All smiles, her plump little body seemed to bounce across the floor as she proceeded across the room to open the curtains. She slung them open with one brisk movement and the sunlight filled the room.

Rudolph will be waiting for you in the foyer after you've had your breakfast dearies.

Thank you Miss Fanny. You've been most helpful.

Just doing my job Ma'am and its Fanny, just plain Fanny, she said grinning.

Jennifer just smiled. She had a restful night and the morning did already show signs of being a beautiful day as she walked out through the patio doors to take a breath of fresh air. She was not aware that Rudolph was admiring her from a distance as he was washing the limo just beyond the garden.

Well, I must dress for breakfast, she thought. She dressed quickly and walked out of her room into the large hallway.

Good morning Ma'am, came a small squeaky voice from Penelope, the maid.

Good morning to you too., Is Sir William up yet?

Why yes Ma'am. He's already in the dinning room.

Great, thank you very much, remarked Jennifer cheerfully.

Continuing to walk to the dinning room, she greeted Sir William. She did not notice at first, that there was a gentleman standing behind him. He turned to speak to Sir William and noticed her presence. She was just as shocked as he was. It was Noah!

In heaven's name what in the blazes are you doing here? He almost screamed at her. The smile was on his face was somewhat now tarnished.

Well now, I'm inclined to ask you the same thing! Jennifer snarled back at him.

He stood now not in a sexy attire, but a dark suit with his long dark hair pulled back neatly. Jennifer almost did not recognize him.

Sir William is my uncle dear, why should I not be here. This is where I stay while I am in London. And you, what are you doing here, he again asked.

Uh, Sir William asked me here. He knew his sister and I were friends.

Oh, Auntie Margaret. A dear lass she was. Would love to get my hands on the bloke that attacked her I would.

Noah sat down beside his uncle with a cup of coffee in his hand. Ester walked into the room and he proceeded to give his instructions for breakfast to her.

And what will you have Ma'am, she asked of Jennifer.

Just two eggs over light, toast and juice, please she answered.

Ah, now that the introductions have been made will one of you enlighten me and tell me how you two know each other, questioned sir William.

Sir William, this is the gentleman I told you I had met, hinting her concern.

Sir William responded trying not to reveal their suspicions. Ah, yes you did tell me you had met somewhat of a character, he said laughing. And yes, I would say that applies to this young man, as he tapped Noah on the shoulder. Noah just gave him a friendly smirk.

Now there Uncle William, has she been talking about me already.

Only like she would talk about the weather my dear boy, chuckled Sir William teasing Noah.

They continued breakfast with little discussion. Jennifer and Noah would exchange glances across the table. Finally after Jennifer had finishe4d, she rose from her chair.

I must be off sir William. I will see you later in the day.

And just where are you rushing off too. You don't have to leave on my account, stated Noah firmly.

Rudolph is taking me out and about for some sightseeing. I'm sure you don't mind, she said to Noah in a somewhat condescending manner.

As you so reminded me, its your life and I have work to do, he sneered back.

Have a good time dear, remarked Sir William in his usual sweet mann3er.

She felt Noah's eyes following her as she left the dinning hall. He made her as nervous as a school girl. Ash she walked into the large foyer, Rudolph was a pleasant sight.

Top of the morning to you Ma'am, Rudolph said cheerfully.

Good morning to you too Rudolph, answered Jennifer. He was a welcome sight alright. He was neatly dressed, not in his usual uniform, but in jeans and a pale blue tailored shirt. She had assumed they would be taking the limo, but when she walked out he escorted her to his personal vehicle, a shiny red MG convertible.

I hope you don't mind, he asked.

Lucky for me I braided my hair, she said laughingly.

He opened the door for her and proceeded around to his side of the car.

We're off, eh said and proceed to start the car.

The 4english countryside was beautiful, a lot different from the scenery she was used to. Miles and miles of rolling green hills and pastures made it a much more desirable place than the flat lands of home. It was just like she had imagined it to be. Rudolph was a great host. Once they got into London, he took her to all of the great tourist attractions but what impressed her the most was the little bistro he promised. It was a quaint little place with a cobblestone walkway out front. As they started to walk into the bistro, there was a young lady out front selling flowers. He bought Jennifer a large bouquet of assorted flowers. She thanked him and held the bouquet up to her nose to take in the aroma. Being familiar with the bistro's menu, Rudolph ordered for the two of them. The atmosphere of the little bistro was quite charming. It was quite crowded, but not loud and full of the smoke like the places she frequented back home.

I do hope I'm not boring you to tears, asked Rudolph.

Nonsense, you' ve been just wonderful. I'm having a great time. I really hate to see this day end.

You mean that?

But of course, I do. I think you're very charming. Any young lady would be proud to be in your presence.

He smiled at her feeling more self assured that he had made the right choices. She smiled back at him and this time really looking at him. He looked much more gentlemanly now. Much more handsome with a special sweetness about him. How she wished she had met him before meeting Noah. They continued cheerful conversation. The afternoon soon turned into evening. The hours escaped her.

I didn't mean to keep you out so late, but since we have already had dinner how about a little dancing.

Well, seeing as I don't have any other plans, I'd love to; she answered really enjoying how the time she had spend with him.

I know just the place.

They drove to a little dance club just outside of London and about twenty minutes from the castle. Jennifer was amazed when she looked at the sign and saw it was a country club.

You have country music in London, she screamed.

Of course, just because there is royalty here does not mean we are all fuddy duddies and he pulled from under the back seat a black Stetson hat and placed it on his head. Jennifer smiled.

They walked into the crowded lounge. This was more like home. Smoke filled the room and the music was a familiar song by John Berry.

This is great! And to think I was beginning to get homesick.

Well, no more. He shouted and pulled her onto the dance floor. You do two-step don't you?

Why of course. What red-blooded American cowgirl doesn't? She laughed.

They danced for hours. Two-step, tush-push, cowboy waltz, they did it all. The slow songs where the best. It was almost 1 AM. When we make love by Alabama was being played. He again grabbed her and pulled her onto the dance floor. Their eyes now really met for the firs time. They were warm and genuinely affectionate. Deep pools of blue that she knew she could easily be drawn to. Their lips met in a tight embrace while the music played and their bodies, still moving to the music, seemed to become one. Loving without making love. When hi9s lips departed hers, he embraced her that much tighter but being careful not to make any unwanted moves. The song ended but they did not.

Uh, the songs over cowboy, don't you think we had better sit down and it is getting late.

Of course my lady, as he made a distinct bow to her smiling.

None of that now she said as she grabbed Rudolph's arm and pulled him across the room towards the door. He stopped her just outside the door.

You have had a good time today haven' you” He asked with a somewhat serious look on his face.

The best, she said smiling and gave him a little peck on the check.

Great! I'd hate for you to leave London thinking I was a total bore, he said laughing.

My dear Rudolph, I can't thank of any reason why anyone in her right mind would ever think you were a bore. She grabbed him by the shoulders as if to reassure him.

You are a wonderful man. Handsome, loving and considerate. What more could a woman want?

I just wanted to give you a reason to want to come back.

Not to worry, I won't forget you. There are other min in my life but that doesn't mean there's not room for you too, she said with a more serious tone now.

Come now, I have kept you out late enough.

He opened the door for her and again seated himself behind the wheel. Now she sat closer to him and his warm arm snuggled closely around her as they made the short trip back to the castle. He pulled the car to a stop in front of the main entrance. Again he opened the door for Jennifer and took her by the arm to the front door.

I had a wonderful time. He took her right and and kissed it and said goodbye.

She stood and watched him drive off down the path to his quarters.

Trying to stay up with t eh owl's are you,Noah remarked to her from the balcony as she entered the large foyer.

I don't believe that my schedule is of any concern to you she sneered back sorry that she was again faced with his argumentative remark. Unconsciously, she so wanted a loving relationship with this man, but there were so many questions and his demanding attitude made it somewhat difficult and then there was Rudolph... quite the opposite.

Ah yes, I remember. You are an independent woman. He was walking down the stairs towards her.

She had a wonderful time with Rudolph, but now she was again faced with the desires of her body. Rudolph was warm and gen3e4rous of heart. Noah was feisty, extremely handsome and mysterious. He was charming but argumentative. This man seemed to have everything she loved and everything she hated all in one person. Such a controversy. Maybe that was why she just did not know how to deal with him. And the fat that he kept popping up like a bad penny always seemed to keep her on her toes. And there was the question about the pendant that stayed in the back of her mind. He stood in front of her now, not in the business suit as she had seem him in earlier in the day but a burgundy robe tied at the wait and barefooted. His long dark hair now fell down below his shoulders with his robe partially exposing his large muscular chest shat she remembered so well. Jennifer could not seem to think of a thing to say as he approached her.

You can be independent Jennifer, but please do not keep shutting me out. I truly do care for you. He said in an almost believable tone now.

And how can I believe that when your actions say different, she finally answered pulling away from the strong arms that were reaching out to her.

I'm really tired, If you don't mind.

Noah grabbed her by the arm, turned her around and kissed her so passionates that she fell into his arms. He picked her up into his arms and carried her to her room. Without warning, he threw her on the bed and walked out of their room without a word. He did love to play games that Noah. Games was something that Jennifer did not approve of.

Oh, I can't believe he just did that, she thought. Again, he has played her for a fool. Oh well, nothing she could do about it now. She again dressed for bed. Tomorrow she would spend with Sir William.

Good morning Ma'am

Good morning to you Fanny.

Would he be at breakfast, she wondered. She did not believe the events of the previous day. Rudolph was wonderful to her.... but she was still so attracted to Noah and he taunted her like a cat that plays with its prey before she kills it! Every time she trys to reach out to him... he just toys with her. Claims he wants her only to walk a way! Now really, what kind of a man does that and does she really need a man like that?

She arrived in the dinning room only to find Sir William.

Won't Noah be joining us, she asked.

I'm afraid not dear, I believe he had some business in Parish. What are your plans for the day dear?

I haven't made any. Just thought we'd spend some time talking, unless you have other plans?

Not, at all I'd be glad to have the company. Eat now, and we'll take a ride.

Certainly sir.

They ate heartily and then departed to the stables to prepare for the ride. They engaged in simple conversation. Jennifer was trying to get to know Sir William before she confronted him as to why he really called her here. Standing by a beautiful horse named Clarisse, Jennifer watched as Sir William tended to the horses like a pro. He helped her to mount Clarisse and then he quickly mounted a steed named Charleston and they started out of the stable and down a tree-lined path.

Now that we are away from the house, we can talk, stated Sir William. As I stated before, I am not in a position to investigate my sister Margaret's death but I feel you might be able to help. Margaret always said you were very smart and very inquisitive. She talked about you like you were her daughter and if she trusted you then so do I.

Never knew she felt that way. Just always thought she was just being nice. I thought a lot of her though, stated Jennifer. The police don't seem to have any clues other than that pendent.

That's the problem.. .and so is the pendent. The reason being that pendant was one of three. My father had one and he has been dead for nearly seventeen years, Noah has one and I have one. It's a special right of passage handed down by our ancestors. If there is another pendant out there, I don't know who it belongs to and that is where you come in. When you find out who the pendent belongs to, and its not Noah, you will find her killer. It was no stranger that killed her, she knew the person, and obviously very well.

You seem to have a point there, responded Jennifer. I don't know what I can find out, but I'll certainly start asking some questions and see what I can come up with.

Thats all I ask my dear. We were very far apart in distance but very close to heart! Someone out there know what happened to my sweet sister Margaret and I aim to find out even if those local police won't.

Jennifer stopped her horse beside Sir William and gave him a reassuring hug.

Its a bloody shame you couldn't have been my daughter!, he stated blushing.

That's the nicest thing you could have said to me Sir William.

They rode back to the stables and Sir William was quiet now. Nathan was in the stable now shuffling straw in one of the stalls when he heard Sir William and Jennifer ride up.

Enjoy your ride sir? He questioned Sir William.

Yes of course, it was fine stated Sir William.

And you Ma'am, was everything to your satisfaction, did the horse meat with your approval.

She was great yes, thank you. Responded Jennifer as Nathan grabbed the reins of both horses and tied them up.

Jennifer and Sir William walked out of the stable. Sir William walked to the main entrance, while Jennifer walked to the garden. So much to take in she thought. Now she really was caught up in this mystery. A killing in the family? Or was it family? Then her thoughts drifted to Rudolph. Such a nice man and yet so little time to really get to know him. She felt a gentle touch on her shoulder. It was Rudolph as if he knew she was thinking of him.

Come her often do you? He laughed.

You silly boy, are you following me?

Not at all, but I did see you when you returned and thought you might like some company.

Certainly, that would be nice.

They sat down on a garden bench and talked about everything from school days to the weather. She rather enjoyed talking to Rudolph. He was such a nice man.... but she just wasn't attracted to him at least not in the same way she was attracted to Noah.

Kirsten, the Cook's assistant came running out and stood in front of them. She was a young girl, maybe every bit of sixteen. At first, she just stood there smiling.

Well are you going to kiss her or something?

Got something to say do you?

The Cooks says if you plan on eating dinner, you best get to it! Then she ran off just as quickly as she appear4ed.

Sir William will be expecting you at the dinning table. I'll be eating with the servants, but they're a good bunch. Be off with you now, I'll see you later in the evening.

Jennifer acknowledge his goodbye and smilingly accepted a kiss on the check as he made his departure to the kitchen. In the dinning room, she seated herself and waited for Sir William to be seated before being served.

So how much longer can you stay dear, asked Sir William.

I'm afraid I really must be getting back home tomorrow. As much as I have enjoyed it here, my job and bills won't wait.

I understand dear. But you won't forget about our discussion?

Not at all. I will try very hard to find out anything I can for you. So we will keep in touch. Maybe I an return in a few months. Hopefully with what you asked for.

That would be wonderful dear. Oh, by the way. About Noah, he's a bit of a grouch, but a good lad. Don't be afraid of him. He does care you know. A lot like me he is. Doesn't like anyone to get to close to his heart.

They finished eating and Sir William made his goodbyes and returned to his drawing room. Jennifer on the other hand went exploring though the castle. As dark and drafty as it was, it stirred up her imagination as to the kind of people that lived here before Sir William. Where there ever knights in shinning armor or just more lonely old men like Sir William. Where there ever damsels in distress or just giggling young girls with too much time on their hands. And servants, yes there must have been lots of servants. She rambled through long corridors and found herself climbing seemingly endless stairs up through the North tower. Reaching the top, she stepped to the edge of the tower and looked out over the rolling hills. It was magnificent! Lost in her thoughts, she had failed to notice Rudolph down below.

Rapunzel, let down your hair... shouted Rudolph.

You are kidding, right! Shouted Jennifer back at him. She throws down a ribbon from her hair playing the part of a damsel in love. He catches it and bows like a knight.

Come on down girl and lets have some fun., he shouted back at her.

She raced down the steps like a school girl after candy. Reaching the bottom, she races to him as he holds out his arms, grabs her and slings her around and sets her feet back down on the ground. They both giggled and were caught up in the moment. When they stopped laughing, he kissed her and caught her off guard then he backed away.

I'm sorry, I was out of line.

I'm not sorry at all, she stated and kissed him back this time not wanting to let go.

When their embrace was broken, they just stood there not saying anything. The day was closing to an end quickly. She needed to pack for the long flight back tomorrow. It was hard to say goodbye to him. He was a knew friend and she knew he could easily be much more!

I must go, she stated. I'm leaving tomorrow.

Yes, I know. Hope you won't forget me.

Nonsense, I told you. Just take care of yourself. I'll write to you. I know where you live, she said laughingly.

She walked away from him now and she could see a change in his facial expression. Maybe he did truly feel something for her. Nonsense, they barely knew each other. Waling back to her room, she had so many things running through her mind.

It was quiet again now in the old castle. She changed into a lilac silk nightgown. A soft squeak of the door was heard and she thought it was the maid. She started to speak when she saw it was that all too familiar face.... Noah. Here he was popping in again, she thought.

Lost your way have you, she asked again sarcastically?

No, just finding it... stated Noah and he approached her and kissed her passionately. Kisses from two different men in one day... that was almost more than she could handle.

You know I really care about you?

Really, did why do you keep walking away?

I'm afraid of the way you make me feel.... like I'm out of control and I like to be in control. He stated sheepishly.

For once, he might be telling the truth, Jennifer thought but then he had missed led her many times before.

Why am I drawn to you so, she asked him softly as he held her close to him.

Because you know I love you, he said tenderly almost as a different person. He actually said the words. As it real? For this moment she anted to believe it was. He carefully and tenderly undressed her and laid her body down on the large bed. While he kissed her, she removed his shirt and the rest was left to passion. Tenderly but passionately he made love to her, over and over as it it were an appetite that had not been fulfilled. He awoke every inch of her body with the presence of his. She drank in his embrace and his passion was like a bittersweet wine to her. And then they slept. It was not until Fanny came bursting in again did she r4ealize that he was gone.... or was he ever event there. Had it all been some passionate dream?

Breakfast ma'am.

Thanks Fanny.

She entered the dinning room only to find she was the only one there.

Where is everyone, Noah, Sir William.

Haven't seen Noah this morning and the mister, well he's already out for a ride. Said he had already said his goodbyes and that you'd be leaving early. Rudolph will get your bags and be w waiting for you out front when you are ready.

Rudolph already had her bags in the limo when Jennifer walked out the castle door. He was smiling like he always did but seemed kind of sad too.

Sorry we didn't have more time to get to know each other she stated as she touch his hand that was resting on the door frame.

Maybe next time, he answered as he tipped his hat at her and walked around to the drivers side. Is there anywhere you would like to go before we reach the airport.

No, its time to go home Rudolph, she answered regretting having to leave but knew she needed too.

He raised the glass that separated them, and she sat in the quiet of the limo. The ride was quiet and somewhat somber. Jennifer felt like a part of her was being left behind. They reached the airport and came to a stopped under the canopy in front of the main entrance. When the car stopped, Rudolph again got out and opened the door for Jennifer and offered his hand to her.

You know I'll miss you don't you, remarked Rudolph.

And I you, as she smiled back at him.

Leaving her baggage with the airport attendant, Rudolph said goodbye to Jennifer again, kissing her on the cheek and then dashing off through the terminal doors. It was obviously harder for him than she had imagined.




© 2014 sgheath


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on September 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 13, 2014


Author

sgheath
sgheath

NC



About
I am employed by a Medical Center but in my spare time I am a professional photographer among other things. I am also a crafter, painter, genealogists and writer just to name a few. My desire to cre.. more..

Writing
The Mirror The Mirror

A Story by sgheath