Chapter 2: Sunny Fields Stables

Chapter 2: Sunny Fields Stables

A Chapter by Aurora Silverheart

     Sunny Fields Stables was a normal stable, big enough to fit several horses in, yet small enough so that you could reach the other side without exhausting yourself. All in all, it was a perfectly fine stable of just the right size. And it was the stables that Alexa and Tracey went to every once a week to have riding lessons at three o'clock.

     That particular day was especially bright and sunny so that several horses were out in the paddock grazing grass like how horses do. The horses calmly grazed, not disturbed by anything until a certain red luxury car pulled into the parking lot, its tires spraying gravel everywhere.

* * * * *

     "Mom! Could you park slowly for once?" I complained after unbuckling the seatbelt that had just attempted to strangle the both of us. Tracey and I, that is.

     "Sorry, girls," apologized mom with a rather unapologetic grin on her face. My mom could act like a kid sometimes. I yanked open the car door and we piled out.

     "Thanks for the ride, Mrs. Goldridge," Tracey thanked politely.

     "See ya later, Mom!" I called, slamming the door shut. We walked into the quiet, dimly lit stables. Where was our riding instructor, you ask? Well, first of all, her name is Tanya... at least that's what everyone calls her. She told us to wait for her in the stables in our first lesson we had at this stables.

     And so we waited. Before long, (only a few minutes had passed) Tanya showed up with her usual warm smile on her face.

     "Hello, girls! Well, pick a horse and get a brushing kit!" We were used to the way Tanya started her lessons.

     First, I went into the tack room, closely followed by Tracey. The tack room was where all the equipment and brushes were kept. I picked out a bucket full of brushing equipment and Tracey did the same. Next, we both headed to the stables and picked out a horse. I picked my favorite, a sweet pony named Sugar. I usually liked horses over ponies but Sugar was the exception. She was a white mare with a sweet face and big, dark eyes. Tracey picked Caramel, a tall mare, perfect for jumping, and boy, did Caramel like to jump! I knew that my friend loved the palamino horse.

     After we curried, brushed, and combed our mounts, we both rushed to the tack room again to get our riding gear. I picked up Sugar's gear and Tracey grabbed Caramel's bridle off its hook.

     Soon, both horses' coats were gleaming and their tack was properly on, Tanya popped into the stables to see our work.

     "Nice job, Alexa. But next time take more time on Sugar's mane and tail. Tracey, adjust that girth will you? It looks a bit loose. Alright now, girls. Time to head to the outdoors riding ring!" Tanya led the two girls and two horses down a well trodden path to the outdoors riding ring. A couple jumps were positioned around the ring.

     We're jumping today! I can't wait! I did a mental happy dance. I really liked the feeling of sailing across a jump on a nice sunny day.

     "Come on 'Lexa! What are you waiting for? The sun to go down?" Tracey giggled. Tanya held the gate open for Sugar and I to go through.

     "Coming!" Sugar's ears pricked forward; she was eager to get jumping as I was!

     "Re-check the girth, mount up, and get your stirrups the right length," Tanya said. Going over to Tracey to help her adjust her stirrups. I tightened Sugar's girth strap as I waited for Tanya. A mounting block was conveniently close by. I led Sugar to it and mounted up easily.

     Tanya came over and checked the stirrups. "Do they feel comfortable?"

     I nodded.

     "Alright. Start doing figure eights around the jumps to get warmed up," Tanya instructed.

     We did, while Tanya gave a couple comments like "Good balance is important, Tracey" or "Back straight, Alexa." And so the lesson continued.

     After a couple figure eights, we moved on to jumping; my favorite part. We were arriving at a simple jump. Sugar's trot began to speed up and I pulled back a little to slow her down. Just a little to slow, Sugar gave a snort and turned to the left.

     "Try again, Alexa," Tanya instructed calmly. I did, this time letting her stay slightly faster and we sailed over the jump. Ok, Sugar didn't jump as high as Caramel but it was still plenty fun! We continued to jump and by the end of the lesson, I managed to perform all the jumps without flaw. I admit that Tracey had an easier time on Caramel, but it didn't matter.

     "Ok, time to dismount. Put everything back as you saw it when you came here!" In less than 15 minutes, we had the horses back in their respective stalls, the tack put away, and their coats shining again.

     Mom pulled into the parking lot.

     "Bye, Tanya!" Tracey and I called.

     "See you at the Horse Show on Thursday!"

    

  

    



© 2010 Aurora Silverheart


Author's Note

Aurora Silverheart
'*****' means a change of perspective. Criticism welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It just needs some basic work, like your plot needs to be better. So far, it is a really generic and predictable story. The obvious bully scenario, best friend, etc.

I hate saying this, but you welcomed criticism. Don't feel bad about this at all, and I am of course going to keep reading this!

Also, try to change it up, make it a story that has a good lesson and really makes the reader feel for the character.

As Paul O'Neill said, "The purpose of art is to create an emotional response in the person that is exposed to that art. And there are three categories of art; bad art, good art and great art. Bad art will elicit no emotional response in the person that is exposed to it, i.e.; a song you hear in an elevator and it does nothing to you, a picture on a wall that gives you the same emotional response as if the wall had been blank, a movie that chews up time. Good art will make you feel an emotion that you have felt before; you see a picture of a forest and you remember the last time you went fishing with your dad, you hear a song about love and you remember the last time you were in love. Great art will make you feel an emotion you have never felt before; seeing the pieta, the world famous sculpture by Michelangelo, can cause someone to feel the pain of losing a child even if they've never had one. And when you're trying for these emotions the easiest one to trigger is anger. Anyone can do it. Go into the street, throw a rock at someone, you will make them angry. The emotions of love, empathy and laughter are much harder to trigger, but since they operate on a deeper level, they bring a much greater reward."

Hope this helps :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on August 26, 2010
Tags: horses


Author

Aurora Silverheart
Aurora Silverheart

About
You would like to know something about me? Well, let's see... I love animals, I enjoy nature, I do cosplaying, I sing, I draw, I write... I do a lotta stuff! Contact me if you want to be my friend!!! .. more..

Writing