4 ~ It's Kind of Like Therapy...

4 ~ It's Kind of Like Therapy...

A Chapter by Felicity's Eve
"

Ethan goes to talk to his new four-legged friend.

"
     A grooming kit in my hand, I walk towards our new mare's stall, anticipation filling me with every step I take. This will be the first time I have actually been alone with her which will give me an opportunity to get to know her better.


     For the past few days, I've been hearing nothing but how special this mare is. How skilled, trained and obedient. And her beauty is something to be admired.


     Dad's friend told us that she was found as a filly and raised by him. She has been handled by only the best trainers but her free spirit still remains. 


     I never caught his name, but there was someone else who wanted her. But Dad's friend, who brought the horse to us, wasn't too keen on selling her to him. So he gave her to Dad instead before things got ugly between him and the possible buyer. Good decision...


     I can just hardly believe that this is real. Mom had such specific standards for this horse to meet and we never expected the perfect horse to suddenly appear when we have been looking for years for a horse that even partially fits. It just seems so... I don't know. Planned? That's not the word...

    

     I should just stop with this over thinking and start appreciating our luck.


     Starshine also has great social skills which is great because I want her and Maxwell to get along. She is also really close to Ruby.


     But then again, what horse doesn't like old Ruby? And Maxwell can be a bit of a flirt, but he's easy to get along with, I think of my bay gelding affectionately.


     When I get to the stall, I pause.


     Mom, we finally found her. Your dream mare. I suddenly feel tears that threaten to spill over. I shake my head sharply, blinking them back.


     I open the stall door slowly, so as not to startle the snow-white horse.


     "Hey, girl," I say softly, walking in and closing the door behind me.


      The mare is staring intently at a small spider on the windowsill of her stall, following it with her eyes as it crawls across the wood. I can't help but laugh aloud.
She looks up at the sound of my voice and doesn't hesitate to nuzzle the hand I hold out to her.


     She's so tame.


     "Hi, I'm Ethan. You remember me, right?" I murmur. She nickers and bobs her head a little, as if to say, "Sure I do! Nice to meet you!"


     This is common for horses to do, but the look in her eyes...it makes me half expect her to actually say it.


     "We'll give you a full bath tomorrow, but I thought you'd be more comfortable if your coat was clean," I say as I pick up a curry comb. She turns so that her right flank is facing me. I smile. She's so....I don't know. Why can't I find the word I'm looking for?


     As I groom her, I talk to her. About my life. I tell her about being fifteen, and the tortures of high school. I tell her about Dad, the stable hands, my hobbies, Maxwell; basically what it's like for me to live in Casper, Wyoming.


     And finally, I tell her about Mom. How she was kind, reliable and horse-crazy. How she seemed to understand me in a way no one else could. How much my father loved her. How she died from a mysterious illness that no doctor could name. How distant yet somewhat clingy my dad became afterwards. I tell her about my mom's dream mare, and how she fits the description.


     "It's still a little hard to believe that you're here. I guess I'm just waiting for someone to tell me I've been dreaming this whole time," I say, chuckling to myself as I comb out her mane.


     "Are you just a dream?" I murmur to myself.
She suddenly turns her head and gives me a little nudge, gently but firmly. She's strong and I have to take a few steps backwards to avoid falling.


     "Okay, okay! You're not a dream!" I laugh. She gives me a look that screams, "You got that right!"


      There's a word that describes her perfectly. Why can't I put my finger on it?


     "You know, my mom had some names in mind for a gal like you. My dad always said that this one is totally lame. Teasingly, though. So, I'd like to stick to the name Starshine. Do you like that?" I say.


     She nickers and bobs her head again.


     "Alright. Starshine it is. But how about Star for short because I must admit that Starshine is a little too girly for me to handle. Sorry, Mom," I murmur apologetically. I finish picking her hooves and step back to take a look at my handiwork.


     Starshine looks even whiter now. And all the more beautiful.
"You know how pretty you are, don't you?" I say affectionately.


     She suddenly tosses her mane and straightens up a bit and I laugh.

      "You know, you'd attract a lot of stallions," I say as I begin to stroke her neck.


     "Dad might just decide to breed you. Even better, find a classy stallion with a good linage and you two could be a breeding pair!" I laugh.


     Star suddenly stiffens a little. Her eyes look almost...panicked.


     I laugh again at her reaction as she flicks her tail almost dismissively.


     "You're funny. Being a parent doesn't appeal to you?"


      I walk forward until I'm standing by her head which I gently turn until I can look her in the eye.


     "You being here. It's almost as if Mom never...you know..."


     Dang it! Why can't I just say the word?


     Star's eyes seem to soften.


     "Mom. I miss you," I whisper, unable to stop the tears from flowing freely.


     "I just don't understand how the doctors couldn't figure it out!" I gasp out between sobs, my voice raising slightly as I bury my face in my companion's warm neck.


     I'm fifteen. I should just accept it as it is!

But I can't stop the tears. I look up in surprise as Starshine touches her muzzle to my red hair. Her warm breath is soothing.


     I calm down and Star nudges my shoulder.


     "I love you, you know that?" I say, wiping my tears away with the back of my hand and kissing the beautiful mare's neck.


     She shies away a little and I smile.


     "You're just so human! It's crazy!" I say affectionately.


     Human. That's the word I couldn't think of.


     I refill her water bucket and repack my grooming supplies. And, with a final pat to her shoulder, I turn to let myself out of the stall.


     "It'll be alright, Ethan. Trust me on this."


     I gasp as I hear a young woman's voice behind me. I spin around to scan the barn aisle for another person besides me but there's no one else in here except for the horses.
I'm just hearing things. Too stressed out, I guess. Yeah. That's it. I think to myself reassuringly as I walk out of the stall and latch it behind me, shaking my head as if to clear it.


     "You okay, Ethan?"


     I turn at the sound of my dad's voice. His eyes focus on my tear-stained cheeks and he throws his arm around my shoulder comfortingly.


     "I'm fine. Just talking to Starshine," I mutter.


     "Ah, Starshine. That's what you decided on after all. Cynthia would love that," my dad murmurs.


     "Dad...?"


     He almost never says Mom's name aloud!


     "Oh, sorry. Just looking at this horse...I felt that it was the right time to say it," he replies. I turn my head to look at her again and my dad does the same.


     "She's amazing. And so human," I say, gazing at Star. She returns the gaze soon enough.


     "I'm glad that I gave her to you. She'll be good for you," my dad murmurs.


     "Are you sure two horses isn't too much for me?" I ask.


     "Not at all. Besides, Maxwell could use a sister of sorts. She'd be good for him," my dad replies, reaching into the stall to scratch Star behind her ears.


     "Besides, we need more school horses and so the people who ride her will help with her grooming and feeding and all that stuff so it isn't as if you don't have help," he reassures me.


     "Thank-you. So much," I say.


      "Anytime, Ethan. Come inside when you're ready." And with that, Dad leaves me alone with my new companion.


     "'Night, Star," I say happily as I straighten my horse's forelock. Tomorrow I'm going to begin the process that will truly make her my partner. I am going to train her and, as

soon as she's ready, use her to train other people in the art of riding.


     With one last glance at my new-found friend, I pick up my grooming supplies and walk away, feeling more exited than I've ever been in my life. And again, I wish Mom could see her, our, dream horse.






© 2013 Felicity's Eve


Author's Note

Felicity's Eve
Rate & Review, please! Your comments and constructive criticism is very much appreciated. Seriously.
Good luck! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ohhhh!!! Soooo good! I can totally feel the emotions of Ethan as he recollects his mother's death. And the interactions between he and Star are so well depicted & classic & utter endearing sweetness! I love that "human" is the description her finds for her. It make me think of my dog that died who had sooo much personality, we thought of her as a human. i love animals with big personalities...not that Star is an animal, but anyways. There was only 1 sentence that read weird and could probably use some editing: "There was a man who wanted her that this friend of dad's, I never caught his name, wasn't too keen on selling the horse to."
Anyways, not that I don't love Casonia too, but so far i TOTALLY LOVE this book!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

Thanks! :D



Reviews

Omg I wanted to cry with Ethan! That was do emotional! I like that he already feels a connection to her and trusts her! Can't wait to see what happens next XD

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

:D
Very sweet. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

:)
Ohhhh!!! Soooo good! I can totally feel the emotions of Ethan as he recollects his mother's death. And the interactions between he and Star are so well depicted & classic & utter endearing sweetness! I love that "human" is the description her finds for her. It make me think of my dog that died who had sooo much personality, we thought of her as a human. i love animals with big personalities...not that Star is an animal, but anyways. There was only 1 sentence that read weird and could probably use some editing: "There was a man who wanted her that this friend of dad's, I never caught his name, wasn't too keen on selling the horse to."
Anyways, not that I don't love Casonia too, but so far i TOTALLY LOVE this book!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

Thanks! :D
"How she died from a mysterious illness that no doctor could name." O_O Nora, explain? I think I know who that part is based off of .< XD

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Forever Hidden

11 Years Ago

LOLOLOL
AHAHAHAHAAAAHAH
"wipes a tear away from face from laughing"
Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

XD
Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

Well, I could. It was gonna be cancer, but then I got another idea for the future of this book that .. read more
how sweet and cute adn sad I absolutely love it

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

lol ^^
Art Lover/Love Writing

11 Years Ago

keeehhheee
Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

^^
XD I had to laugh when Ethan talked about finding a stallion for Starshine to be "paired" with.

But again, love the details and how easily the words flow together. This is one of my favorite stories by far!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dark Rider

11 Years Ago

LOL! I know I baby talk my horse. And yes, that is a pretty funny thought.
Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

Ikr? :)
Dark Rider

11 Years Ago

*nods in agreement*

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2012
Last Updated on April 25, 2013


Author

Felicity's Eve
Felicity's Eve

About
Note: I know that lately I haven't been posting a lot of writings that I feel comfortable sharing, but I'm trying to let more lighthearted subjects make poems and stories of themselves. It's just a ma.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Felicity's Eve