Chapter Five pt. four

Chapter Five pt. four

A Chapter by SM Davis

"Why are you just sitting there?  If we are going to make it in time for first run through we have to leave.  Now!"  Barty's blustering voice sounded like a distant echo to Joan.  She wasn't about to tell him about Maggie.  No one could know.

"You go ahead.  I have some errands to run before I can go.  We'll just take both cars.  I won't be far behind you.  I promise."  Joan's voice was firm.  

Barty knew that when Joan was like this, there was no arguing with her.  He, more than Joan, was completely dependant upon appearances.  He didn't care what the issue was, he was not going to be late, and the drive to
Los Angeles on Interstate 5 was going to be horrendous.  

"Fine.  I mean it though, don't be late."

"I won't.  Just go, and I'll be there shortly behind you."

Barty grabbed his make-up kit, costumes and keys, and quickly made his way out the door.  Once she was comfortable that he was gone, Joan picked up the telephone.

"Randy?  Yes, this is Joan Vorelli.  I am dreadfully sorry to lay this on you at the eleventh hour, but you are going to have to call Veronica in to take over Yenta tonight."

"Yes.  I know that this is a huge imposition, but I'm afraid it just simply can't be helped.  I'll explain it all to you when I can.  Right now, I have more important things to tend to."

"What?  No.  Of course not.  You know me well enough to know that I would not miss an opening night performance were it not a matter of complete emergency.  I'm so sorry, and please pass on my apologies to the cast.  I know that Veronica will be wonderful."

"Yes.  Of course.  Thank you.  I will give you a call tomorrow to see how things went."

She hung up the phone and let out a heavy sigh.  She knew that Barty would be furious with her, but she would have to deal with him later.  She had more pressing issues at hand.  Thoughts of Maggie flooded her mind and she began to sob.  She didn't know what to do, or even how to imagine what her daughter must be going through.  It was too late to try to mend things with Maggie, and she feared for both hers and Maggie's life if anything further were to ever be mentioned about what took place with Mr. Lucelli.  

What had she done?

Sobs wracked her body.  The more she thought about her daughter, the harder she cried.   How could she let things get so out of hand?  How could she even face Maggie after the events that have taken place by her hand?  She sat on the edge of her bed crying for both herself and Maggie, and when the phone rang, she jumped so hard she fell off the bed.  She let the machine get the phone.  She was in no shape to speak to anyone about anything.

Keith’s voice rang through the room, and guilt once again filled every fiber of Joan’s being.  What could she possibly tell him that wouldn’t make her sound like a heinous monster?  Nothing.  There was nothing that she could say or do or even attempt that could erase the crime committed against her daughter.  What was worse was the threat to Maggie’s life if anything were to be leaked about what Mr. Lucelli did to her.  The telephone conversation haunted her.  No name was given, and the voice was obviously disguised. 

“Handsomely compensated…hospital paid in full…Lucelli’s name never to be repeated…no need to speak what further injury may occur…” the words rang in her head.  What could she do?  Nothing.  Nothing but to make sure that Maggie never speaks Lucelli’s name again.  To anyone.  Joan knew it was one of Lucelli’s cronies that made the telephone call about Maggie being in the hospital.  It was the same telephone call in which this one sided admonition took place.  She had to keep up appearances for Maggie’s sake.  She hoped the threats she gave Maggie the day before held strong inside her head. 

“Unless you have a death wish, you cannot repeat to ANYONE, not even the doctor’s, what took place.  Do you hear me?!”   

The look on Maggie’s face spoke volumes.  She knew that Maggie would never forgive her.  It was a price she would have to pay.  She only hoped that one day, Maggie would try to understand.

 



© 2009 SM Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oooh, I am so angry I can't see straight. How could a mother actually promote lying? Does she honestly think it will save her life? Or her daughters? What if it happens to other girls, which it probably will! OOOOH! Things like this make me so, so mad.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wheels within wheels. Evil times, wicked people. Great hero and Joan is now more understandable. Keep going.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 30, 2008
Last Updated on September 6, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

SM Davis
SM Davis

One step from the depths of Hell, AZ



About
I write. I sing. I dance. Often. more..

Writing
Ever Ever

A Poem by SM Davis


Panic Panic

A Story by SM Davis