Sieve.

Sieve.

A Chapter by spreadtheawesome
"

Jake gets what he wants. Most of the time.

"

 

The office fan whirred overhead, making little difference in the stuffy boardroom. Still, Jake was cool and composed as he always was, sitting at the head of the table.
            It was the fourth meeting in two weeks. Golf TV would be his within the week.
            ‘I’ve already said that I’m not pleased with the choices your channel has been making, Mr. Horton.’
            ‘And I’ve expressed similar displeasure in your network, Mr. Slater.’ But his forehead was beaded with sweat, and the half smile on Jake's face was increasingly infuriating. ‘Your decision to play golf tournaments on a channel previously dedicated to more raucous activity –’
            ‘The acquisition of Golf TV would allow that to change. We simply don’t have space for every tournament in the PGA on Sports Works.’
            ‘We’re not selling.’
            He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. ‘The facts and the figures are in front of you.’ Literally – he’d assured it, and had an employee assembled a file with all the data on Golf TV’s ailing funds and ratings. ‘You could funnel all of your money into this deteriorating channel, or you could accept the buyout and actually get to go golfing.’
            He watched their expressions shift and change, the interest that flickered in their eyes, the stubbornness lodged in Mr. Horton’s eyes.
            He was familiar with stubbornness. He was familiar with fear. He would use the latter to breakdown the former.
            ‘We,’ Mr. Horton said again, ‘are not selling.’
            ‘Well, we are buying. And whether it takes until your reputation has run into the ground for me to get it, or not, we will. I will.’
            He folded his hands with a tranquil smile, and stood up to walk out. His cellphone rang before he reached his car.
            It was Horton. Golf TV was his.
            A friend had asked whether he found that the thrill of business and negotiation had worn off since he first begun. On certain days, all the games and runs-around could be tedious.  
            But the thrill, the incredible satisfaction was there when he heard the amused resignation in Horton’s voice.
‘You drive a hard bargain, Slater.’
            A grin broke over his face as he climbed into the car. They would celebrate. He was already looking forward to taking Julia out to dinner. It would be – beneficial to their little charade, he thought.
            He didn’t think beyond that. He wouldn’t.


© 2009 spreadtheawesome


Author's Note

spreadtheawesome
Hopefully you're sensing the shift, if you could call it that. Read, review. Danke.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

SHIFT??? he's protecting her amt but he loves her and he cant deny it much longer :D and take her out for dinner i bet she ends up cooking for him :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 12, 2009


Author

spreadtheawesome
spreadtheawesome

Canada



About
I�m a writer and I�m a musician. I don�t need to get published in order to be a serious writer. I don�t need to sell out concerts in order to be a r.. more..

Writing