Chapter IV: Ahran

Chapter IV: Ahran

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier
"

Tome explains to Alex what he has become.

"

            I sat down on the chair and took off my coat and scarf. I sat my hat down on the small table next to me and started to relax a little. I looked over at Alex, who was sitting on her bed and chewing on her hair anxiously. I saw her glance over at me. I sighed. “Out with it.” I said to her. “Something’s been gnawing at you all day. What’s up?”

            I saw Alex tense up a little bit before replying. “So… I’m still trying to register what’s happened recently…” She began. I nodded at her to continue. “You’re… a god…?” She asked, disbelief sewn into her voice.  I sighed again.

            “It’s… complicated.” I looked up at the ceiling. I still wasn’t quite very sure myself. Ever since I became Death… Ahran’Ikai… Mors… Whatever the hell I am… I’ve kind of gained his memories. At least, the memories of when he was his own being; not tied to a mortal soul.

            Alex looked over at me anxiously. “Please, please tell me!” She pleaded. “I... I need to know!” She got out of her bed and sat on mine so that she was next to me.

            “It’s a very long story…so… bear with me if I miss some details…” I explained. Alex nodded.

            “It all started when the Great Grandfather of the Ahran, known as Cratio, created the multiverse.” Alex seemed confused, and opened her mouth to speak, but I cut her off. “Yes, there are multiple universes.” She closed her mouth and listened again. “After ruling over these for several millennia, Cratio grew weary. He sought to create one universe, that could eventually be self-sufficient, and one day produce a being to take over his own position. His first attempt, a land ruled by immortal beings, was an utter failure. These creatures became known as the Existentials.

            I paused for a moment, until Alex nodded for me to continue. “The Existentials grew power-hungry, and devoured the universe in which they were created. They then made a jump to another universe, and began to devour that as well.

            “Cratio knew he had to stop these creatures before they devoured everything. He tried to create many new universes. Time after time, as the civilizations grew, Cratio taught them the evils of the Existentials. But the Existentials grew as well. They learned quickly, attacking those universes with brutal tenacity, destroying the new threat before it ever became an issue. Cratio was fighting a losing battle. Then he created his masterpiece: Genitor. Genitor, grandfather of the Ahran, was given but one task: Create a being that can destroy the Existentials. Genitor was placed in our universe. He created galaxies, and stars, and planets. To rule over these lands, Genitor created two beings. These beings were named Ahran’Laxis and Ahran’Indolem. They were given the powers of light and darkness, respectively. From there…”

 

*****


            Ahran’Laxis and Ahran’Indolem swirled together the fabrics of the universe into ten forms. The five light forms were considered ‘good’, while their opposing dark forms were considered ‘bad’.  As these forms took the shape of living beings, they were given a name, and a power. To the first two of these beings were given the names Ahran’Invidia and Ahran’Defedem. To these were given the powers of Victory and Defeat, respectively. Next came Ahran’Waar’lik and Ahran’Hycenea; War and Peace. After them came Ahran’Izzaker and Ahran’Urhan; Madness and Sanity. The fourth pairing was Ahran’Ulciscere and Ahran’Saranan; Revenge and Forgiveness. The last to be created was my sister and I, Ahran’Ikai and Ahran’Vide; Death and Life.

            We formed in a kneeling positioning and we all spoke at once. “We are Ahran.” We stood and bowed to one another.


*****


            Ulciscere and I met in secret, along with our sisters. “So, it’s agreed then?” I asked, looking at each one of them with my blood red eyes.

            “Yes.” Ulciscere agreed from beneath his cowl. I don’t know why he insisted on hiding his face. “We all agree that if the Existentials are to be stopped, we must have more soldiers. And since no immortal has stood a chance against the power-draining elites of the Existentials…” He stopped for a moment, as if to savor the idea. “We’ll make them mortal.”

            I nodded, and so did our sisters. We set up a wormhole. This would take us from the Ahran’s hidden sector of the universe, to a rocky planet that we had decided to call Earth. Once we were through the portal, the ritual began. The four of us held hands and offered our souls towards Cratio, in order for him to use them as a catalyst for the creation of a species. Ulciscere broke the chant.

            “My sister and I would like to make a substitution. We offer our entire souls, in exchange for the safety of the souls of our fellow Ahran that have gathered here.” He declared.

            I looked at him in surprise. “Ulciscere, what-“ But it was too late. The forms of Ulciscere and Saranan already began to fade. Their souls glistened in the sun, before fading as well, taken to the realm of Cratio, to be used to give life to the new species known as Humans.

 

*****


            “However, the other Ahran’ saw these humans as tools, and enslaved them.” I continued explaining to Alex, who was soaking in this information like it was a bedtime story. “Ahran’Ikai was outraged by this. He waged a war against the remaining Ahran for the freedom of humanity. One by one, his people fell beneath him, for nothing is stronger than Death itself. It came to the point when Ahran’Ikai would have to fight his own father, Ahran’Indolem. Instead of fighting, which was the last thing Ikai wanted, the two came to an agreement. The humans would be freed on the condition that Ahran’Ikai would have to wear a pentagram necklace that limits his power to only his basic abilities, unless there is proof of a battle substantial enough to warrant a show of power.”

            Alex made a connection. “Like that blood-blender-thing that you-“ she stopped herself. “Sorry, that Ahran’Ikai used back at Will’s house.”

            I nodded in agreement. “Also, as per Ikai’s request, every Ahran soul would be bound to that of a Human, so that the Ahran would always value the Humans, and never again try to enslave them.” I took a deep breath. “And you know the rest.” I looked up at the ceiling and let the breath out slowly.

“So, to answer your question, no, I am not a god.” I sat up and looked directly at Alex from behind my glasses. “A god cannot compare to the power of an Ahran.”

 

 



© 2014 Taig Ferrier


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
Added on May 19, 2014
Last Updated on May 19, 2014


Author

Taig Ferrier
Taig Ferrier

Canyon Country, CA



About
I've been writing poems and drawing ever since I can remember, and started writing songs when I was around 8 years old. I've grown and developed my artistic skills a lot since then. Around 13, I bega.. more..

Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier