Chapter VI: The Only Course

Chapter VI: The Only Course

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier
"

Tom plays with his new friend. (This chapter may contain content that deemed unsuitable for children. Reader discretion is advised.)

"

The floor erupted in a sudden tornado of fire. The smell or burning gasoline instantly filled the air. To me, it was a familiar, exciting kind of smell. That’s just the way I’ve adapted over these past few years. In my subconscious mind, I wondered if Ikai felt the same way. I was snapped out of my euphoria by the screams of the previously oblivious patrons running out of the door as I slung my bag over my shoulders. Through the flames, I jumped over the counter, knocking Paul down to the ground by shoving my foot into his chest. I kicked open the door that led to the ‘employee-only’ area behind the desk and dragged Paul through it, my hand around his neck. I slammed and locked the door behind me. Over-charging and dispersing my laser cutter over the door handle firmly melted it shut. I threw Paul onto one of the fancy, well-made chairs that were situated in a semi-circle around a television. I was moving behind the chair when Paul tried to get up and run. That didn’t turn out well for him. I reached around the chair and grabbed him at his elbows, pulling him backwards into the seat. I pulled his arms behind the chair, taking a zip-tie out of my bag and tying his arms back tightly. I circled back in front of him, crouching on my haunches. The electricity went out in the whole building, courtesy of Alex, so that only natural light flooded the room from the windows.

                “As a matter of fact, yes,” I began sarcastically, “there is something else you can do for me.” He kicked out at me, and in response I zip-tied his legs to the feet of the chair.

                “F**k off!” He spat back. Without changing my expression, I took off my bag and rifled through it, taking out a scalpel and the lemon juice.

                “Now, now… Is that the way you treat your patrons?” I jeered, glancing around the room quickly and muttering to myself. “No wonder this place is such a s**t hole…”

                “F**k you!” He snapped again, though he quickly quieted when I stood in front of him.

                “Let’s get down to business…” I began, holding the scalpel’s tip on his leg. “You’re going to tell me everything I need to know…” I applied a little pressure to the instrument. “Or there’s going to be an issue here.”

                Paul winced and groaned in pain, though I barely caused any. I guess after all these years, he still never learned to handle himself. He was still the same weak little boy he always was. He spoke through grit teeth. “Argh… I won’t… tell you s**t…” At least he did have some backbone.

                “Oh?” I said, raising a quizzical eyebrow from under my ski mask. “Is that so?” I dragged the scalpel downwards, opening a gash in his thigh. He screamed again. “Who ordered the strike on me back in my old home?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

                “It was unauthorized… the assassins just took their chance.” I let a few drops of lemon juice soak into a bandage, then squeezed it out onto his leg.

                “You’re lying.” I said resolutely. He was screaming again.

                “Okay, okay! It was General Jacobson! He called for the hit!”

                “Thank you” I said, moving the soaked bandage away. He was being honest now. “Who ordered the hit on me about two weeks ago?” I looked at him with a steely glare, though he couldn’t see it through my lenses. The question I really meant to ask was ‘who had Izzy killed,’ but I doubt he’d even know her name.

                “I don’t know!” He shouted, apparently trying not to cry. I held the bandage over his leg again and squeezed. As the acid dripped into his wound, he groaned again. “The General! That was him too!”

                I didn’t react. That was the answer I was expecting. I steadied myself for one more question. “Where can I find the ‘General’?” I asked, an edgy tone in my voice. Paul remained silent. I picked up the bottle of lemon juice and put the spout directly into his wound before I squeezed. He bellowed in agony. “Azuma! He went to Azuma for a Vacation!” I emptied the rest of the bottle into his wound, much to his dismay, before stuffing it with cotton and wrapping it in a bandage. Azuma… I thought to myself. Azuma was an Equinox-founded city, where everyone could enjoy a lavish and luxurious lifestyle. It was a perfect place to make a scene…

                “One last question…” I said quietly, as I finished wrapping his wound. “What happened to your leg?”

                Paul looked up at me with some sort of gratitude in his eye. In truth, the only reason I didn’t kill him was because I planned on getting more information from him later. Plus, Alex had asked that I refrained from killing anyone today. I believe she was worried about Ikai, and what might happen if I took a life… I wasn’t exactly sure either. Paul opened his mouth. “I ran to get away from the fire when I tripped and slid over a very sharp rock, then grabbed the first aid kit and dressed myself?”

                I shrugged, cutting his ties. He dashed for the back door, throwing it open and darting out. Unfortunately for him, he ran right into Alex’s outstretched arm. His neck hit her elbow, and he fell backwards, unconscious. I sat him up against a rock in a natural position, then went back inside, took the first aid kit, and laid it next to him to make his story believable. I hope for his sake he tells it right. Alex smiled at me. “It sounded like you had fun.” She chided sarcastically.

                I shrugged. “Maybe a little…” I laughed too. With a quick look around the corner, Alex and I merged into the mob of terrified visitors as we ran for the buses. Once we got in, we had to try hard to seem as frantic as everyone else as we took our seats in the back once again. This trip, much like the last, passed silently. After arriving back at our hotel, we turned on the T.V. to see the news already reporting the mysterious fire that destroyed a prestigious Ski Resort. Alex snickered.

                “Did you get what you needed?” She asked casually. I took off my hat and coat and laid down on my own bed. I nodded.

                “Azuma.” That was the only word I said on the matter. Alex understood, and just nodded lightly.

                “So it was him, then…” She sighed, changing the channel on the T.V. to some cartoon show. I just rolled my eyes at the T.V. We would decide what our plans were later, but for the time being, we both earned a little rest. I got up and made us lunch. We didn’t want to go out until everything settled down a little. While no one saw me at the Resort, a man in a black mask that completely covers his face would still be suspicious.

                I sat in the chair next to her bed while we ate. Even though we said nothing, it was still nice to enjoy each other’s company. We didn’t get to do it very often, and with recent events, we came to cherish these moments even more. After we were done eating, Alex went down to the Hotel’s pool. I let her go by herself. Everything would be fine here, and me going with her would just cause more suspicion. I stayed in the room, looking out of the window while idly spinning my steak knife in my hand. Death is not the only course, Tom… Ikai said suddenly inside my head. I replied back out loud, since no one was around to care.  

                “No, but it the one that laid before me. And it is the path that I shall walk until it ends. It may end at a cliff. It may end at an ocean. I don’t care either way.” There was a passion in my voice. “But for Izzy… For my family… For Alex… I will walk this path.”

                I see… So be it, my friend. Ikai replied, with a small chuckle. You remind me so much of someone I used to know… Long, long ago. I felt myself smile, though I didn’t know why. Things were going just as planned. After years, it was time for the whole world to know who has been causing trouble with the military. “Azuma…” I said out loud. “I hope you’re ready.”



© 2014 Taig Ferrier


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on September 11, 2014
Last Updated on September 12, 2014


Author

Taig Ferrier
Taig Ferrier

Canyon Country, CA



About
I've been writing poems and drawing ever since I can remember, and started writing songs when I was around 8 years old. I've grown and developed my artistic skills a lot since then. Around 13, I bega.. more..

Writing
Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Taig Ferrier