The Keeper of Time

The Keeper of Time

A Poem by Trevor Jay Bloodworth
"

Time never stops and we often forget that its there at all. It can preoccupy us or it can vanish completely.

"

The pendulum waved on my dear grandfather clock.

It spoke its usual, fair and timeless words, “tick-tock.”

It housed it’s pendulum inside its glass womb.

It was tall and tense looking, like an ancient tomb.

Hearing it brought me fear and apprehension.

Louder it ticked and tocked in dark tension.

“Quiet now for I am trying to go to sleep!”

Tick tock, tick tock, it was almost a weep.

My dear grandfather clock simply was and will be.

Nothing can stop its time, nothing, you will see.

 

Tick tock, tick tock, it just wouldn't stop at all!

It was speaking in its uniquely steady call.

Tall, brooding, and sulking, look at it there.

It called to me, but I was simply unaware.

Oaken all over, with twisting carves in its sides.

The gold decorated it like rolling ocean tides.

Still it grew louder, even at this quiet hour.

It had something, some mystical power.

I could not sleep, no matter how hard I tried.

Tick tock, tick tock, I could have almost cried.

 

Again I could hear the ticking, its own dark calling.

It spoke again, just as into sleep I was falling.

Tick tock, tick tock, I could not escape the sound.

Again, why did this clock not need to be wound?

I haven’t heard the bells in what felt like ages.

Surely this clock must have sounding stages?

I began to fear, loathe, tremble and despair.

But when did this gray get in to my hair?

“I do not understand you, why do you call?”

Tick tock, tick tock, nothing, and nothing at all.

 

The pendulum waved on my dear grandfather clock.

It spoke its dark, maddening and timely works “tick-tock.”

“That’s it! I’ll burn you down to the ground!”

It just stared, not making any other sound.

The fire had started; the entire house began to burn.

It was done now, no need for any more concern.

But what is this, I cannot even make sense!

It was still there, dark, oaken, and tense.

“What are you, foul demon, the grim reaper?”

“No, friend, time must always have a keeper.”

© 2013 Trevor Jay Bloodworth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi!

This is a really amazing piece of work!

I love these sort of peculiar poems, and I think the speech used within the poem was a really good addition, as it really enhanced a very good poem, to an amazing one!

The end two lines are perhaps my most favourite and overall I loved all the maddening tick-tock-ing.

I have no criticisms.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Wow. I honestly don't know what to say. Thank you so much. Really. Thank you.



Reviews

Great piece of poetry, I was really thinking by the comment of the "gray hair" that it would end with the final "tick tock" and the person in the poem would expire, perhaps with some sounding of the chimes, but what you have done here is equal, if not better suited to your description and design. Excellent. I did find a typo in this line should you want to edit it, "even at this quite hour." "quite" I believe should be "quiet". Cheers

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Over 200+ views, and over 20+ reviews and you were the first to catch that. Hahah. Good stuff. Thank.. read more
Astro

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome, I was happy to review it. I guess from my lofty perch among the stars I was ab.. read more
This is an interesting piece; I like the image of this clock, standing for the continuation of time. think the last stanza was the most melodic. Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad that you liked it.
Very rhythmic descent into a macabre place of dazzling light and truth. These are lines to pique the conscience of many a procrastinator ( I am in that number ). The rhyming is not an obstruction to the flow of the poem or its message. The clock was not malevolent but the time wasted and ignored acquired that persona.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. Personifying time was probably the hardest part of this. I didn't want time to .. read more
Very nicely done. As you obviously have talent you don't need an ego stroke.
I enjoyed the imagery very much. You were vivid and concrete. The rhyme scheme worked well although there were times that the meter seemed a bit off. Given the image of the regular sway of the clock a more regular beat would seem to be called for. There were a few lines that seemed just a shade off. I see from other comments that you have pruned so I cannot give any opinion as to earlier versions. The fact that I have to pick on such a comparatively minor issue, which may exist only in my own ear, shows the strength of this piece.
If I may join in on the issue of "waved", I like that word choice. First t relates to the personification of the clock and second in my mind I added a " 's " to the end of grandfather on my first read through and had an image of the grandfather watching you through the passage of time. On the second read however that phantom additon was gone. However "waved" still strikes me as the correct choice.
I am very glad Lori sent me a read request on this piece. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Your criticism is much appreciated and welcomed on all my poetry. And no, I noticed a problem with t.. read more
SteveB

10 Years Ago

I look forward to reading more of your work. You obviously have skill and vision.
After reading all your works I must say One thing... I am disappointed really disappointed... Of course on myself... Damn I am so low grade righter... !! It was as if the whole stage was set right infront of my eyes... gr8 work my friend.

Keep inking those whites
as pass by the nights
some day after rites
you will reach glory of new heights




Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I don't know what to say. I'll keep writing.
My criticism is so picayune as to be superficial. I think the poem would be better served if you substituted "swung" for "waved" as in "the pendulum swung on my dear grandfather clock." as opposed to waved. But having said that, it is quite good. I picture it as a song. You a do a great job of using the medium to tell the story. As I say to many, you don't need criticism, just encouragement. Good job. m
Ok, sorry. I just finished reading it for the 3rd time and if you removed certain words it would read more like poetry than written sentences. Maybe it's just the meter in my head that I like to read but having gone to the trouble to rhyme you could have a much more fluid sounding pace with a few deletions. But that is purely opinion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Hahaha. No, no. It's fine, really. Run your mouth more, people need to hear others opinions on there.. read more
WyndnWatr

10 Years Ago

Well then, write more and I'll read more. :)
Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

I can do that. Deal.
if you dont mind ..I like to hear a poets reason and thinking on some use of words...I am wondering why you used the word"-waved" to describe the motion of the pendulum? ty Laury

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

I don't mind at all. I used the word "waved" because I feel like time is just sometimes off in the d.. read more
Larry Dyson

10 Years Ago

yes..thanx so much ..it makes really good sense.
Great work. The last stanza is my favorite. Keep up the great work. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
defiantly like nothing i have read before. how random to write a poem about a clock. I liked it though its pretty great.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

My mom used to have this great big grandfather clock in here house and it was always...just there. I.. read more
cimmy wuv xxxooo

10 Years Ago

creative i like it. The rhyming scheme was brilliant btw :) Keep writing and your very much welcome
The long lines in this piece worked well with the rhyming which is not easy to do.
A nice even narrative tone set this piece up to be an easy read. Great imagery combined with a very descriptive rolling outlay made it a long and wonderful read. Very nice

Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1611 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 11 Libraries
Added on July 16, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013
Tags: Time, Clock

Author

Trevor Jay Bloodworth
Trevor Jay Bloodworth

Bradford, TN



About
Just another guy. Nothing special. 22 years old. From Tennessee. I started writing as a hobby while on deployment. I love poetry and that's my art form. I'm heavily influenced by the poets of the Roma.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e