Chapter 1 - That Which Doesn't Take Place

Chapter 1 - That Which Doesn't Take Place

A Chapter by Prateek Kumar Tripathi

"I'll take the usual shift after having my dinner." Mr. Jordan said to me while I was packing my belongings and was about to leave for home.

"Well.... it's not a problem, you may surely take your time. For I now remember I left something important beside the old factory", I replied. Well, if I was supposed to stay for a bit anyway, might as well go check out that place as its been a long while since I've been there.

"Huh?", Mr. Jordan looked at me with a somewhat annoyed expression. He was a man of 187 inches with a muscular build and had a scar on his right Cheek which for some 'God-knows-why' reason I never bothered to ask. I understand the fact of him being annoyed all the time because he was bald and mine being all long and shiny, tied with a rubber on the back of my head. But what puzzled me was that of his expression being really scary!

"Well, of course you might want to go there sometimes... even I can't get enough of that place, haha...", he laughed and for a long while... so long that I started to wonder if I should just go home, but then... 

"Ha! Just remembered... I left an important business myself... Should just be on my way or I'll get late. Speaking of which, I'll eat dinner at the gate as you surely know late night talks makes me full." 

"Yeah...", I replied... flabbergasted at this situation. 

"Well then...", he went on his way without a proper send-off and quite hurriedly. I was busy thinking of what to make out of this while looking at that particular factory in the distance. Not wanting to be late to tomorrow either. I went my way. 

It was already 6 o'clock and I was busy preparing myself.

"Ah...", I sighed on finding my kitchen cabin empty as always.
'Guess I'll find something along the way'. With that I hurriedly closed the cabinet then took my keys and locked the door to my apartment. My home was located on the far ends of Maurlsberry Valley where the locality was densely populated. I took the usual bus and started on my daily schedule. The factory was located beside old man Jodas's small farm. I was walking beside his farm when I heard the usual...

"Late again. Mr. Jayce!". I was never late but he was always mocking me with that usual grin of his. 

"Yeah... work's rough!", I replied to put him at ease.

" Well, works are always rough, ain't it...", he said going back inside. 

"Yeah... I guess...", I replied, now on my way. I was just about to enter the factory when I heard...

"Mr. Jayce!", locating the familiar sound, it was from the coffee shop owner.

"the usual, right?", 

"Yeah, just sprinkle some salt on it." And he started pouring a cup of warm coffee, took a piece of fresh baked bread from the container and after sprinkling some salt on it...he handed it to me,

"Here!" 

"Thanks ", I replied smiling.

"Speaking of which...", he started to speak, "I don't see Mr. Jordan anywhere..." 

"Must have... got caught... in something...", I replied while munching.

"Yeah, so it seems. But last night I didn't see him leaving the factory either."

"kwak...", I nearly threw up on hearing this stupid declaration, "Sorry...", I started, "but I assure you...Mr. Jordan definitely left the factory late yesterday. He's one man who loves his home more than anything else "

"How can you tell ?" he asked curiously.

 "Instincts", I replied and went on, "look Jake, instead of these silly gossips it would be much better if you utilize this time elsewhere."

"Hmm... guess you're right. I should just deliver that huge order of breads". 

"See!" I chuckled as he left the shop in the hands of a worker.

Now I started towards the factory gate and after passing the huge vehicles, entered the factory... The factory inside was ever so busy that one can't comprehend whether its some important discussion or just some usual commotion. But today this place was rather busy with people crowded and gossiping...

"Is something the matter?" I asked Mr. Blake.

"Oh... Mr. Jayce, you're finally here. How we've been awaiting your arrival."

'Waiting for me?' now that was something totally unexpected and coming from the vice head of this factory. "For me? why?" I asked. 

"Well, you see there are heavy talks so lets go inside", pointing at various workers. Only then I noticed there were all glaring at me!

His office was a room too big for almost 20 people to fill and still leave enough space for a man to dance. But today... this room was particularly empty. 

"Mr. Blake, is there a problem?" I asked worriedly, "Why is everyone... "

"You see there's been a slight problem", he cut my words like it was perfectly normal, "Yesterday... Oh! why don't you finish your coffee first!"

Only then I realized I was still holding that cup of coffee... ,"Oh... Uh...", well I can't possibly drink now with my icy mood at a time where my boss is playing 20 questions with me.

Before my reply, he started, "I'll be straightforward with you. Yesterday a man was found dead at our factory."

My eyes popped out and then grew puzzled on seeing his calm expression. 

He continued, "and based on our evidence, we have found the culprit." 

Almost as on cue, several policeman barged in the room, surrounding me and putting handcuffs on both my hands. This scene was beyond shocking and all I could do was play along with it.

Mr. Blake spoke before me, "The man found dead was Mr. Jordan!" 

"Splat... Crack" the cup fell from my hand and touched the ground as I stared at Mr. Blake with an expressionless face.


                                                                              . . . to be continued



© 2021 Prateek Kumar Tripathi


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on December 7, 2021
Last Updated on December 7, 2021


Author

Prateek Kumar Tripathi
Prateek Kumar Tripathi

Howrah, Belur, India



About
Prateek is a College student studying and has passion for writing. He is a new writer who has written some poems and is currently writing a novel. He aims to become a famous writer in the near future... more..

Writing