Chapter 2 - The One Not Bothered

Chapter 2 - The One Not Bothered

A Chapter by Prateek Kumar Tripathi

"What?!", I mustered up all my energy and finally spoke…

"You've got to be kidding me! All this cannot be true! You're joking, right?" , I wanted to believe this one sentence so desperately... I wanted it to be true, yet… the expression said otherwise.

“No, I am afraid. The evidence says otherwise.”

“What evidence?", I asked and by now I was shouting.

"You know a coffee shop by the west gate of our factory?”

“Jake’s?”

"I don't know. He spoke against you. Said he didn't saw Jordan leaving last night and that you didn't leave either!"

"What?!", Now I was totally going insane at this long dramatic accusation. But I well knew that I needed to be of sound mind right now… Still, the fact that Jake lied was beyond imaginable.

“Look, Mr. Blake…", I started, “This is totally a lie. I left the factory right after Jordan took his usual shift. And you also know the only bus comes 3 times a day at 3 intervals. And just earlier Old man Jodas saw me leaving the bus. So I couldn’t have probably taken that bus in the first place if I didn't went home last night. You can call and ask Jodas yourself.”

"Why Bother?", he finally spoke after listening intently.

“Huh… Sorry… what… what do you mean?”

“Just go with the police. Spent some years and be done with it. There’s no need to stretch it out.” He was speaking in a way most convincing yet devilish.

‘Why Bother’ What did he meant by that. Do I not care about my life. I can literally throw a punch right now, I don't care about my job now as I will ever work under this damned man!

"You ask why? Well, Yes I care about what happens to me and I'll do everything in my power to prove myself innocent even by an inch”, I spoke fully determined.

“Sir. You may speak inside your cell until our investigation’s complete or until we find any further evidence”, the policeman grabbed my hand and started pulling me along with him.

“Hey!… Wait! At least show me the way to Jordan First! Please! He was my friend. Hey! Are u even listening?".

"Sir. I understand your feelings very well. But there's nothing to show in the first place."

“Huh?...”, I looked at him completely puzzled and now grown silent while waiting to hear what comes next from his mouth.

“Sir… the thing is… we never found the body.”

“What?! Then how can you say he was murdered?”

At this point, Mr Blake started speaking, "Please leave my cabin. I've other matters to attend to… "

‘What other matters?’ This man really doesn't care about a man being dead or his worker being sent to jail!

“Sorry, sir. Absolutely”, the man grabbing my hand said and after dragging me, we were finally outside his cabin and were going towards the main gate.

"Now tell me the truth. Every single thing. Where exactly is Jordan?”, I asked hastily.

“We don't know where the body is. And Speaking of him being dead, our captain told us.”

“Well, Who is your captain?"

“Her name is Jennifer. We call her Captain Jen."

I was little by little getting knowledge of this situation and was trying to get everything I could out of him. But I couldn’t understand why he was telling me all this. So I asked…

“Why are you telling me your captain’s name. And all this?”

“Because our captain told us to…”

“Told You to? Is she that daring?”, I asked

"Well, technically she said that you'll ask me something and I'll have to answer you."

Only now that I was getting the plot, someone named Jen threw me out of the movie. I was completely lost. Why would she tell her subordinate to answer my questions. Does she know me perhaps? Wait…who do I see here…

"Mr. Jayce, I heard what happened to you. I couldn't believe it so I rushed here and left all my deliveries half way. I believe you’re innocent, Mr. Jayce I really do.”, he was carrying the bag that was supposed to be delivered. But was he trying to ease my mood and then speak nonchalantly like Mr. Blake back there.

“Yes, Jake. I believe I am innocent. And probably was until you testified against me!”, I spoke full of anger.

After a moment, he said, “Mr. Jayce, I never testified in the first place.”

A second blow of confusion to me.

"What? Then why did he... hey policemen, what’s going on here?”

“Sir, You may speak inside your cell. Captain Jen expects to see you in your cell in the next hour. There's nothing for you to do here. So just come with us. You may be able to prove you're innocent if you come with us.”

‘If ?’ Did I had a Choice. Or was he just stalling for me to go with him?

“What if I don’t?”

“Then we'll use force.”, he spoke firmly.

‘Oh… So there’s no choice’. Not wanting it to drag any further, I went with him inside his car leaving Jake behind looking puzzled. He said earlier that his captain told him to answer everything I asked. So maybe I could use that to my advantage and fully understand the situation.

After a while, the car started and we went on our way with other cars following close behind. I started to speak…

“So… about your captain. Is she…”, my talk cut short again by the brakes being pressed hard, and the screeching voice of tires.

"What now?", I asked but the only reply was that of the sound of a pistol being reloaded. It was coming from the driver’s seat and I completely froze.

“Mr. Jayce…”, the driver started, “there's only one way to prove you’re innocent.” And with that, he pointed the gun at me.

"It's this…”, with that he aimed at my chest. I wanted to run. I wanted to get out of this situation… and yet... these thoughts were cut short with the Sound of a bullet being fired and hitting me on my chest.

I slowly watched his phone rang as my consciousness was fading away.

“Yes. Its done”, he spoke, “And what about Jordan?”



... to be continued



© 2022 Prateek Kumar Tripathi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on January 16, 2022
Last Updated on January 16, 2022


Author

Prateek Kumar Tripathi
Prateek Kumar Tripathi

Howrah, Belur, India



About
Prateek is a College student studying and has passion for writing. He is a new writer who has written some poems and is currently writing a novel. He aims to become a famous writer in the near future... more..

Writing