No Time to Cry

No Time to Cry

A Poem by Mauricio Montoya
"

over war

"

No Time to Cry

 

I was looking down the devils throat as he looked up at me.

He said, boy look to the east and tell me what you see.

For three wise men, come with tales of war.

But today they came with something, I've never seen before.

 

I wandered in a battle field, soon someone said.

As the rain came down, move a head.

A puddle of mud was my bed,

As I laid there and thought of what was said.

 

I cross a river that was blood red,

A short word with a friend, now lays dead.

No time to cry, for tears I've bled.

The three wise men the truth they said.

 

I try to run, no place to hide.

I've search for truth in those who lie.

If it wasn't for my pride I’d stop and cry

For I know one day I shall surely die.

 

As I walked on the trail that lead nowhere.

I stop to look up towards the sky

To finally realize to my surprise

The answer I seek was deep inside.

 

 

But the sounds of war started to ring

As a cold wind swept over me.

While the angels began to sing

It took one bullet to set me free,

And this is a farewell story of destiny.

 

By Mauricio Montoya

© 2020 Mauricio Montoya


Author's Note

Mauricio Montoya
I wrote this for a friend who had survived the Vietnam war only to get shot in this country over a trivial dispute.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

To re.open this tragic but powerful poem shows, to me, how deeply the original happening touched you. Somethings one never, never will or can forget. And also, as time passes, other events can be equated with the original.. have the same cruel result, the same ironic result. Your writing has always had so much depth and even in time, means and touches as much as did. Truth is a tragedy, more often or not.

'But the sounds of war started to ring ~ As a cold wind swept over me. ~ While the angels began to sing + It took one bullet to set me free, ~ And this is a farewell story of destiny. '

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

emmajoy

3 Years Ago

There's so much trouble: sickness, politics, fighting and all in what should be a beautiful world. .. read more
Mauricio Montoya

3 Years Ago

well im at home a friend from England said ur getting sun well south part anyway, were accepting a .. read more
emmajoy

3 Years Ago

There is deep snow in the North, especially in Scotland, flooding in various parts of England.. have.. read more



Reviews

Really great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was a awesome poem and tribute for your friend. Strange how they survived the war, only to come home and be killed over something trivial. A soldier was killed here the same way, he had bought a new truck after surviving three terms in Iraq only to come home and be killed by his fellow American. And your poem only shows that this is only the beginning of senseless deaths south of the border!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mauricio Montoya

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts.
This is a sad poem with descriptions that make you feel as if you are laying on the battlefield. this poem tells a dark tale. It is so sad that you make it threw war and the return home only to get shot here where it is suppose to be safe. You have captured your emotions so clearly and cleverly that your readers feel as if you are taking this journey with the narrator in the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A sad circumstance Mauricio. You wrote powerfully. I feel a surging of strength in your writing lately. All the concepts and themes you've express here are elegantly defined and presented. You have acted as a conduit of spirit and essence here, take pride in this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
a very intricately woven so called thought chef =)

sighhhhh

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

war is such a terrible thing.... i'm sorry that you lost your friend. i am sure he would have been honored that you wrote about him.
wonderful writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoy this piece, or shall i say peace? It definitely took me on a journey into a different time.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I cross a river that was blood red,

A short word with a friend, now lays dead.

No time to cry, for tears I've bleed.

The three wise men the truth they said.

this is gold love the sound of it .

As the rain come down, move a head.

is this a typo like come is is that word supposed to be came ?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is really good, like a war that no one care escape from... in the end everyone well surly die, but you didn't say it in that way. I love the was you put it.
a very good poem

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Some of the grammar/spelling is funky in this piece, but I'm sort of tired and don't want to give you a list of each individual issue. XD I just recommend looking it over again for errors.

Anyways, another great piece of writing. You really capture the different sides of war and it's affect on the individual and on the world as a whole. My favorite lines:

"If it wasn't for my pride I’d stop and cry
For I know one day I shall surely die."
A confession from the heart.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 20, 2010
Last Updated on December 27, 2020

Author

Mauricio Montoya
Mauricio Montoya

oakland, CA



About
Love to draw and cook from time to time, when I'm not drawing I’ll write poems. My favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe. more..

Writing
Mum Mum

A Poem by Mauricio Montoya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bartholomew Bartholomew

A Poem by Fegger