Matt

Matt

A Chapter by tmb219

CHAPTER 3

MATT

         I’ve been best friends with Harper Barnes, since we were four years old. Her family moved in down the street from mine eighteen years ago, and shortly after that, we pretty much became inseparable. We never had to worry about not having someone to play with when we were young, talk to or confide in as we got older, or share our worries and problems with through high school in college. We had each other.

         Harper and I went to the same college, but I was in the film program. I took classes and did a few different internships and field work, allowing me to graduate a semester early. I knew I wanted to move to New York by spring and wanted to have a job lined up by that time, so I moved things along a little faster.

I know she missed having me there the last semester, but Harper had plenty to keep her busy with her own internship and boyfriend. They’re no longer together, but from what Harper’s told me and what I’ve heard from some mutual friends, Ben seemed to take up much of Harper’s down time. She seemed to do just fine that last semester without me.

As I stand here now outside the apartment Harper shares with Claire, I see fear and sadness in her eyes. I have an apartment a few minutes away and walked Claire and Harper home from Cover after dinner and drinks, but Harper barely had anything to say on the way home.

“Well guys, I’m headed in to bed. Big day tomorrow for us, Harp! I had fun with you today. Thanks again for including me with your family. It means a lot.” She walks up the steps and unlocks the front door.

Harper and I follow behind but stop on the porch. Harper hugs Claire goodnight. “Of course, Claire. I was glad you were there with us. You’re right. Big day tomorrow. I can’t believe we move out of this place tomorrow.”

“I know. Kinda sad, but good things are ahead for us. Remember that. Night, Matt,” Claire says, before going inside.

“Night Claire. See you in the morning,” I reply.

Harper stands there on the porch, her blue eyes glowing up at me under the light of the porch. She can’t help but look so sad these days. I can’t even seem to find the right words to make things better for her anymore, but she needs to know I’m not going anywhere, even though I’m moving.

“Harp, it’ll be okay. Everything will be alright. You’ll see, even though it might not be right now,” I try to comfort her.

“Thanks, Matt. I know you’re trying to make me feel better, but I can’t help but think everything will change even more when you leave.”

“Why would they change? I know I won’t be in the same place physically, but nothing will change with us, if that’s what you mean. You know that.”

“ I’m happy for you, that you will be doing what you’ve always wanted, don’t get me wrong,” she tries to explain.

“I know that, Harper. You don’t have to explain. I know what you mean.”

She stands there silently for a moment and shakes her head.

I reach out and gently touch her shoulder. “You’re my best friend. Nothing will change that.”

She nods and just stares and the ground, her arms crossed. In the eighteen years Harper and I have been best friends, she has never doubted our relationship, the closeness, or connection we share. No matter what has happened in either of our lives, she’s never questioned that we would always be there for each other. Why now? Why does she have to do this now, for the first time, right before I move and start a new chapter of my life?

I know she’s been through so much lately. I’m sure that’s what it is and where this is all coming from, but I wish she would have said something sooner or even not at all. I don’t think she’s actually worried that we’ll lose our friendship, but I think it’s just coming from how overwhelmed she is with everything. Now that we’re out of school, people are moving on, and Harper is feeling alone, she’s worried about things that shouldn’t even be questioned.

I don’t want to leave Harper like this tomorrow when I move, but everything is set up. The job, apartment, moving truck, everything. I can’t just change everything last minute. If it was something else that hadn’t been so planned and taken so much to prepare and figure out, I would consider pushing it all back.

This is the rest of my life. I want to be in film for the rest of my life. I can’t give up my dream job right out of college. I can’t give up moving to New York City, one of the best places for the film and entertainment industry in the country. Harper is one of the most important people in my life, but I’m leaving to do everything I’ve ever wanted. Why is tomorrow suddenly not as exciting as I had hoped it’d be? 



© 2012 tmb219


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on December 4, 2012
Last Updated on December 4, 2012


Author

tmb219
tmb219

Amherst, OH



Writing
Harper Harper

A Chapter by tmb219


Harper Harper

A Chapter by tmb219


Harper Harper

A Chapter by tmb219