Matt

Matt

A Chapter by tmb219

Chapter 9

MATT

         As I pull up outside Harper’s apartment to pick her up, I see the familiar black mustang. It belongs to Ben Davis. I actually haven’t missed seeing that car around this last semester. Harper and Ben broke up months ago. Why would he be here today? I’m sure he had to come say goodbye, or try to win her over before she leaves. It’s not that Ben and I don’t get along. We’ve never had a problem with each other. I just never really saw what Harper did in him. He never treated her amazingly well or was that thoughtful of a guy when they were together.

         It never seemed to matter what I though about it. That was made clear. I tolerated him always being around for Harper and to spend time with her. We were never going to be that close or hang out when she wasn’t around. Ben and I have very little in common. Harper has always been able to tell I didn’t care for Ben too much, but out of respect, I never openly said how much he bothered me. She could have done so much better, but something must have worked. They were together for a year and a half.

         I suppose I can fake it one more time before I leave, since he’s already here, but if he tries to make Harper feel bad for leaving or is insensitive to what she’s going through right now, I will have to say something. Harper wouldn’t be surprised if I confronted or said something to Ben, but she wouldn’t be thrilled either. She opens the door as I walk up the front sidewalk.

         “Hey! You’re here,” Harper gives me a hug and lets me in.

         “I’m here. We said ten o’clock. It’s ten o’clock,” I point out. I notice Ben standing off to the side, but he doesn’t say anything. I look at him and give a nod, “What’s up, man?” It’s the best I can do.

         “Hey. Word is you’re leaving Miami behind for New York City,” he says, barely holding back his excitement. Let’s face it. Ben never cared for me too much either. I always got the feeling he considered me to be some sort of threat when he was with Harper. In fact, it still seems like that, based on how he acts toward me most of the time. I never gave him a reason to think I was getting in the way of his relationship or that I was infringing on what he considered to be his.

         “Word is right. I’m out of here in the morning. Staying the night in Clearwater at my parents and heading out tomorrow,” I reply. He really doesn’t need to know any of this, but my excitement gets the better of me.  

         “Nice. You enjoy the big city, man. I’m sure you’ll do great there,” Ben said with a nod. He started to head toward the door to leave. It almost sounded as if he meant something else by that, but I’ll let it go.

         “Will do. Can’t wait. Have fun here in Miami,” I turn to Harper. “You about ready to get going?” I make a point saying, so Ben can hear me. I’m not sure what the point is, but he has that affect on me. Harper looks at me and then to Ben, as if to let me know he’s still there.

“Yeah, in a few minutes,” she says and walks with Ben outside.

“Kay. I’ll put these last two boxes in my truck, so we’re ready to go,” I say a little louder, trying to make a point. I grab the two small boxes in the foyer and walk out to my truck past Harper and Ben, now standing by his car.

I gently put Harper’s boxes in the bed of my truck and stand casually with my arms crossed in by it. Hopefully they’ll see that I’m ready and finish up. I’d like to get going, but I’d like to see Ben be on his way, without upsetting Harper anymore than she needs. I see them hug so assume he’s about to leave. Harper doesn’t look too emotional, so I hope he didn’t try to guilt trip her for leaving Miami. She needs to do what is best for her.

Ben gives me a wave, gets in the car, and drives off. Harper walks toward the front door, so I head back there and follow her inside.

“What was that about?” Harper asks, a little annoyed.

“What?”

“You know what. Why are you always so short and rude to him?”

“I didn’t think I was being rude, but I’m sorry if that’s how it seemed. You know we were never the greatest of friends. He always treated me like he had some problem with me from the beginning. Don’t know what I ever did to the guy,” I tell her honestly.

Harper nods, “I know you’ve always said that. I don’t think Ben has meant to act that way to you, but he’s always felt threatened by you, for some reason.”

“Harp, you know I’ve never given him a reason to feel threatened or like he couldn’t trust me. If he really felt that way, then it has to be something he’s insecure about, not something to do with me,” I say a little defensively. I’ve never done anything wrong, and nothing has ever happened between Harper and me for him to question our friendship. They aren’t even together anymore and haven’t been for the last four months. The only reason it seems like he would still care at this point is if he still has feelings for Harper.

“Yeah, I know. I’ve told him he never had to worry about us, but I don’t think it ever helped. He shouldn’t even care now. We’re not together anymore, so why does it matter, ya know?” she says exactly what I was thinking.

“Oh well. I don’t know, but are you ready now?” I ask again, more than ready to get going. 



© 2012 tmb219


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on December 4, 2012
Last Updated on December 4, 2012


Author

tmb219
tmb219

Amherst, OH



Writing
Harper Harper

A Chapter by tmb219


Harper Harper

A Chapter by tmb219


Matt Matt

A Chapter by tmb219