Chapter three- Irony

Chapter three- Irony

A Chapter by ryanhope
"

What shall he do?

"

Chapter three- Irony

 

The screen faded away and it was silent once again I stood there for a moment “Unit check in” I said over the radio there was no response.

            “Alright it’s pretty clear what we’re going to do Alex, we have to save them” Jack said walking towards the right door.

“Wait, we have to secure the objective understand” I said grimly “Men can be replaced”. 

Jack just looked at me “It’s that kind of thinking that got your unit killed you remember that don’t you, I do my brother was in it” He just looked at me coldly.

I again stood there thinking then moved over to the left door “Jack are mission is document, if we don’t come back with it many more lives will be at steak” I reached for the door.

“This is crazy, we can’t just leave them Alex” He started to shout “If you walk into that door I will not follow you” He walked backwards a bit.

“I’m going to head back down the tunnels and try and find the rest of are unit” he opened the office door and walked out “wait you moron” I shouted out but he already left.

                                  I waited a few minutes hoping Jack would call back on the radio if he found anything, I haven’t heard anything yet. I stood up and glanced at the door “I have to go now, I need to finish the mission” I thought to my-self. I reached for the door I remembered I had about a minute before the explosives would go off.  I took off the bag on my back and left my gun on the floor, hoping I would be able to run a little quicker.

 I pulled the handle and opened the door and a voice came from overhead “one minute remaining” I started to run and haul a*s down the passage. It was just a straight shot and at the end of it I could see an open door leading to the outside, and a single desk. I ran as fast as I could possibly go.

“Alex, Alex I found are unit we are heading for an exit” I could hear Jack over the radio.

“Jack we don’t have long left, I think there’s about thirdly seconds left you need to get the hell out of here” I said still running like hell the radio then went silent. I was almost there I could see the desk next to the door there was some sort of book on top of it “ Ten seconds” s**t I thought. I was five feet away I practically ran over the desk trying to grab the book I then ran out side of the door, the light almost blinding me. 

               I ran outside of the building for my life “Jack are you there, did you make it out” I didn’t hear any response. I hear an explosion from within the building it collapsed from within, and sink into the ground. I let out a sigh I guess they didn’t make it, but I have obtained the document and now I must make it back to the ship. I switched over to the ST frequency “Hello ST, this is Sergeant First class Alex Mason I have the document requested by the UNSF” I said over the radio “I am requesting an emergency EVAC”.

I waited a bit for a respond from ST “Ok Sergeant Alex your EVAC is on the way ETA five minutes”. A dome arrived soon after and I got aboard, luckily it was empty and machine operated.  I sat there inside waiting to arrive at the ship all I could think about is what happened.  I took the book out of my pocket, maybe I did make the wrong choice they didn’t have to die. I started to fill with grief, and then I quickly remember they died for a cause and it was just a mission. Even with that I felt like it was wrong, I just placed the book on a seat and relaxed.

                 I arrived at the ship in the hanger bay; I was greeted by Captain Ryan. I saluted “Hello captain” he smiled like always.

“Hello Alex, I heard your mission was successful” He said. I handed over the book to him and he seemed over joyed “You don’t know what this means Alex, now we have the upper hand” He shook my hand and turned around.

“Ah sir, about my unit?” I asked as he walked away. He stopped.

 “They died for are cause, Oh and Alex the council would like to see you in the chambers” He said and walked off.

I headed to the chambers to meet with the council; god only knows what they want. The last time I spoke with council members I was suspended for 3 months and almost was sent to prison, but as fate has it luck was on my side that day. I approached the front desk and there was a woman setting there looking at a screen.

“Sergeant First class Alex Mason, I am here to speak with the council” I said, she looked at me blankly and the doors opened up. I walked in there was a single desk in the middle of the room with all of the council members in the back, just think of a court house but with one to many judges.

                “Hello Sergeant Alex, we are here to discuss what has occurred today at Moton headquarters” The man in the middle said. I went on to explain everything that happened including the Motion encounter and what happened to my unit.

A good half an hour went on before I was finish then finally one of them spoke “When speaking to this Moton he was aware of why you were there?” He asked.

“Yes he seemed to know are plan, that and the fact once we got there everything was gone also points to that” I mentioned and they proceeded to speak among them self’s for a bit. I stood there waiting then decided to ask “Excuse me but might I ask what that document contained?”.

They stopped talking “It is classified information” he simply said “To conclude this session we the council are awarding your valor with a promotion, that and the recent need of commanding officers, from now on you are Second Lieutenant Alex Mason” He said surprisingly “On a side note to your fellow unit members a memorial serve will be held for them, that ends this session” They all got up and walked out of the room.

 

 I got promoted because I got my unit killed, you couldn’t write that kind of irony.



© 2011 ryanhope


Author's Note

ryanhope
I again tried a little better to revise this, but be as harsh as you can

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: space, monster, aliens, war, death, life, science, fiction, choices


Author

ryanhope
ryanhope

Yukon , OK



About
I am a new writer with no experience, I hope people like what I write more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by ryanhope