The Hoot of an Owl

The Hoot of an Owl

A Chapter by Robert Francis Callaci
"

a wise owl once said....

"

The Hoot of an Owl

While polishing my fiddle to the shiniest of shines, I heard the Hoot, Hoot, Hoot, of an owl. I looked up, and lo and behold! I saw the largest and most fearsome looking owl one could ever have the privilege to see.  His big round yellow eyes stared directly into mine. They looked hungry as he seemed to ponder if I was either predator or prey.

 

I was prepared for his attack when he halted in mid-flight and let out another hoot. In owlese he said,

 

“Forgive me, Master Fiddler, I almost took you for supper. My sight hasn’t been that good of late. You can imagine what problems bad sight from an owl can cause. Just the other day I mistook a Lion for a Pig. Let me tell you he was none too pleased. I was lucky to escape with my feathers intact. You are known world-wide as a friend to the birds, bees, flowers and the trees, and I stand ashamed before you. I wait for your judgment.”

 

I put my arm out for the owl to perch on. I took a few things out of my pouch and conjured up what I needed. I gave him a little hug and a smile and said,

 

“You’re the most beautiful, largest and most powerful owl that I’ve ever seen. It’s a delight to be in your presence. You need not be ashamed before me, you did me no harm, and even if you did, it would not have been intentional. Fear not, no judgment will I give, but a gift of better sight you will receive instead.”

 

I put a pair of specially made Owl eyeglasses on his big yellow eyes. He now looked like a scholarly Owl. He hooted in surprise and wonder. He was now able to see like he did when he was an owlet. He shed a few tears, wrapped his wings around me, and pecked me on my cheek. He flew away and his Hoot, Hoot, Hoot, was that of a very happy and grateful Owl....



RC

03-03-16

 



© 2016 Robert Francis Callaci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on July 9, 2016
Last Updated on July 9, 2016
Tags: prose, poems, story

Totem Hokum (animals are people too)


Author

Robert Francis Callaci
Robert Francis Callaci

Port Richey, FL



About
My passion is writing- I've been writing a mythological tale on the many facets and faces of GOD- I've been a net poet for the past seventeen years- I'm a former admin at lit .org and active one (Patr.. more..

Writing