Prologue II: Through the Looking Glass

Prologue II: Through the Looking Glass

A Chapter by Ling

Sui…as in water? Guang giggled. How poetic - to meet a person named ‘water’ in the midst of pouring rain? 


Curiously, Sui tilted his head. His crystal earring swayed, sparkling. “What is it you find so amusing?”


Not wanting to offend Sui, Guang suppressed his laughter, trying to rearrange his expression. “Nothing, nothing. By the way, how are you doing this?”


Sui raised an eyebrow - wow, even his eyebrows were transparent like water! “This, as in?”


“Stopping the water!” Guang exclaimed enthusiastically, pointing upwards. “How are you doing that?”


Sui gave a quiet ‘ah’, as if he was not expecting Guang to ask about that. “It’s one of my powers.”


Guang could almost feel his mind explode. Powers to shield from the rain? That’s got to be extremely convenient! 


“Amazing…” he mumbled, awestruck.


Sui huffed, a soft smile on his face, but it suddenly changed into a frown. Before Guang could ask what’s wrong, Sui had kneeled down, examining his clothes with a pale hand.


“You’re drenched wet…” he murmured. “Say, Guang, what do you say we get you some new, dry clothes?”


Guang lit up upon hearing that. These clothes were wet and heavy. While he could tolerate it, it was true that it was causing him some discomfort. To notice this and to offer to buy him new clothes - this person, he’s too kind! 


While he knew it was bad to take advantage of a kind stranger, Guang found himself unable to reject the offer. Something within him told him to stay with this person - this person, who he could trust with all his heart. Guang nodded fervently, grabbing the person’s hand to show his trust. 


Cold. He winced, restraining himself from pulling away. Sui’s hand wasn’t warm at all - it was frosty to the touch, almost like ice. 


Sui seemed happy with the gesture, though. Smiling, he brought them to a clothes shop not far down the street. Upon entering the shop, Guang gasped. He felt like he had walked into someone’s treasure chamber.


Racks and racks of clothes stretched as far as the eye can see. There were jeans, slackers, shirts, sweaters of various colours and of different vibes; fancy, casual, formal - there were all here, right before him. The temptation to run amok was so strong, he was practically quivering with excitement.


He turned to Sui, eagerly wanting to ask his permission, but found that Sui was staring right at him, the corner of his lips quirked. Feeling heat rushing to his cheeks, Guang hurriedly looked away.


“W-what?” he stuttered. Why did he feel embarrassed? Frankly, he wouldn’t care if someone - anyone - judged him, but something about the judging coming from Sui made him extra self-conscious. 


As if having read his mind, Sui said serenely, “You can pick any clothes of your choosing. I’ll pay.”


Embarrassment forgotten, Guang cheered and whooped, dashing off in the direction of the first clothing that will be his victim, leaving a chuckling Sui behind.


The first set of clothes he picked out was rather simple: a white shirt and brown cargo pants. He zoomed into the changing room, eager to test out how it looked, when he realised he was face to face with a mirror. 


For a moment, everything flew out of his mind. Cautiously, with his breath held, he approached the mirror, seeing the red-haired little boy in the mirror do the same. As if hypnotised, he raised a hand, touching the mirror, as did his reflection. It was the first time since he awoke he came across a mirror. Before this, all he could do was guess his appearance from his own eyes, but now…


Long, unkempt bushy hair like flames, child-like, liquid gold eyes alight with wonder…this was him? 


A knock at the door brought him back to reality. He leaped away from the mirror as if it had become searing hot.


Sui’s concerned voice came from behind the door. “Guang, are you alright?’ 


There was no way in hell Guang would let Sui know he was staring at his own reflection like a narcissist. “Y-yeah, I’m changing!” 


He quickly peeled off the soggy clothes from his skin before putting on the new set of clothes. He instantly felt lighter and fresher. In a way, he felt freer too. He was wearing clothes of his own choosing - not those selected by those disgusting humans. He can’t wait to show Sui how good he looked!


Giddily, he opened the door, Sui’s name on the tip of his tongue when he realised Sui was talking with a rather pretty lady.


Prickly annoyance rose to his throat. What gives - Sui was supposed to pay attention to him and him only! He made a beeline towards Sui, wanting to get his attention, but it was as if the lady sensed his intent. The moment she noticed him coming she made herself scarce to the back of the shop, as if avoiding him. Guang, confused, turned questioningly to Sui, but Sui only replied with a smile.

“Are those the clothes you picked?” 


Oh, right, he remembered, he wanted to show off to Sui. Puffing out his chest, Guang smirked, “What do you think? It looks cool, right?”


“Yes, certainly,” Sui chuckled. “I know you wanted to pick out more clothes, but is this set alright? I’m a bit short on time.”


Short on time…ah, that’s right, he was nothing more than a lost little boy to Sui after all. Sui probably has his own matters to attend to. Guang deflated a little but still agreed with a little ‘mn’.


With a fond sigh, Sui offered, “Let’s go get something to eat. You can pick what you want too.”


Guang regained his rigour as soon as he heard about food. His stomach groaned loudly, as if in consensus.


“Let’s get some kung pao chicken then!” Guang said excitedly, pulling at Sui’s hand to the exit as he did. “Lead the way, Sui!”


Sui didn’t even retort being pulled along by Guang, even if he was forced to bend down a little to follow along. He only responded in a singsong voice, “Alright, alright.”



© 2023 Ling


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on December 24, 2023
Last Updated on December 24, 2023


Author

Ling
Ling

Malaysia



About
Fanfiction writer for 8 years. Also known as fangirl78123. I like salmon sashimi. more..

Writing