Prologue IV: What Makes You, You

Prologue IV: What Makes You, You

A Chapter by Ling

At first, Guang was miffed about the presence of so many people in the manor. There were maids, retainers, gardeners, chefs, teachers - why didn’t anyone tell him the manor was this populated beforehand? He thought it was just going to be his father and mother. Most annoying of all was Bo. Despite being five years older than Guang, Guang found that he too was like other people - hard to click with. Moreover, acting as Guang’s valet, he was practically following Guang everywhere like a persistent fly.

Guang nearly threw a fit every time he got fed up, but it was always at times like these that Sui’s words came back to him. After reluctantly tolerating Bo’s presence for a few weeks, trying to see through that always hovering haze of hatred, Guang eventually got used to the boy’s constant presence. Truth be told, Bo was…really helpful. He was patient, pleasant, and knew his boundaries. Never once did he complain about Guang’s tantrums when Guang got frustrated about relearning his habits. Rather, he calmly taught Guang everything from scratch to the extent that Guang felt bad for even throwing tantrums in the first place.

Within two months, Guang had all the mannerisms and appearance as expected of a Long family member thanks to Bo, but he was still a little rough around the edges. Something Bo sighed off as ‘his personality’. Not that Guang really cared.

Shortly after that, as if in reward for his efforts, his parents announced that mother was pregnant. The Guang that first arrived at the manor would have been horrified at the news, but the Guang now was ecstatic - he was going to be an older brother! He couldn’t stop talking about it for nearly three months, something which had even gotten the ever-so-patient Bo to tell him to shut up.

Following his younger brother Jin’s birth, Guang spent most of his time playing with little Jin and learning things from Bo. On the down side, his parents started getting busier and became more distant with him. Guang knew it couldn’t be helped, but he still felt somewhat sad. Moreover, he was restricted from leaving the manor compound, which irritated him to no length. He felt like a bird trapped in a cage - Bo would know from his daily ranting. He would have gone insane if it weren’t for Bo and Jin keeping him company.

Yet he should have known better that life was never going to stay easy. When he turned ten, the cruel reality hit him - he had a family name to uphold, duties to carry, responsibilities to shoulder. He learned of the horrendous demon king Yin who had reincarnated, and whose ultimate goal was to bring the entire world to ruin. Guang was horrified to hear such a malicious being could exist - a being that would dare destroy the world without so much as batting an eye. Since then, he had sworn he would continue the Long family’s legacy in protecting the nation from any threats, including the omnipotent, evil, reincarnated demon king.

To become a worthy knight, he started getting lessons from tutors and his parents themselves, who were seasoned knights. Jin too followed the same path when he turned seven, and since then, the two brothers trained in combat together, laughing and sparring as sweat flew through the air abuzz with energy. However, as a special case, Guang received special lessons in controlling his mysterious fire powers too - something he found out that was unique to him, and only him. It made him all the more motivated to master this power of his and to become a great knight, if only to show off to Sui the next time they met.

Speaking of Sui, the pretty man had not visited Guang even once despite his promise. For the first few years, Guang had eagerly awaited Sui’s visit every day, doing so much as cleaning up his room, learning the ins and outs of the manor, perfecting his manners and tidying up his appearance. But no matter what he did, Sui never visited. Days turned into months, months turned into years. By the time he had realised it, fifteen years had passed in the blink of an eye.

The day he had met Sui felt like a distant dream now. The only reminder he had that it was reality was the crystal earring Sui had gifted him, which always hung from his right ear. Even now, while Guang reminisced all of this as he watched his bespectacled, hardworking younger brother Jin, fifteen years old now, training his gun shooting in the manor backyard.

His younger brother had grown up into a fine, noble Long as well. Ever since entering his teenage years, Jin had become more cold and disciplined. With raven black bobbed hair, eyes of silver steel and a deadly, serious expression, he was shooting one bullseye after the other at the target, as if it had eaten his secret stash of snacks (Guang can personally testify). To be frank, Guang had thought he was quite perfect already. Jin’s grip on the gun was firm and he barely budged from the recoil of the shots. If the target had a voice, it would be noisily crying at the hole in its stomach. Poor target.

In any case, life in the manor was peaceful and stagnant. But Guang doesn’t like being stagnant. He wanted to do something, go somewhere, achieve something. It was his dream, especially, to vanquish the demon king and to save the world. Which is why, one day, he will escape the manor. Soon, but not yet. Now is not the time.

“Master Guang,” Bo said with a slight bow. “Your practical classes will be beginning soon.”

“Alright, I’m on my way.”

Getting up onto his feet, Guang gazed at the bright, cloudless sky.

Whatever that Sui was doing, he only hoped that Sui was still alive. It sent shivers down his spine whenever he placed the threat of the demon king and Sui together. No, no, he shook his head. Sui was still alive. He promised Guang they would meet again. If anything, Guang had to work harder, become stronger, to eradicate the threat looming over the world. If only so that he can create a safe world. For his family, and for Sui.


© 2023 Ling


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on December 24, 2023
Last Updated on December 24, 2023
Tags: fantasy, originalstory, hero, demonking, adventure, superpowers, prologue


Author

Ling
Ling

Malaysia



About
Fanfiction writer for 8 years. Also known as fangirl78123. I like salmon sashimi. more..

Writing