Prologue III: Reunion/Separation

Prologue III: Reunion/Separation

A Chapter by Ling

The both of them found themselves in a rather expensive restaurant that Guang was abashed of, but which Sui was insistent on because of their kung pao chicken’s reputation. At first Guang convinced himself that it couldn’t be helped since it was Sui’s decision, but after being escorted to a private room and being treated with extraordinary service, Guang felt more and more embarrassed of himself. 


As the waitress bowed and left at Sui’s request for privacy, Guang nervously laughed. He wasn’t even sure if he should eat the kung pao chicken before him, as alluring as its smell was. What if this cost as much as his kidney?


Leaning forwards, Guang whispered uneasily, “S-Sui, are you really sure about this?”


“Hm?” Unfazed, as if he was used to being in such a lavish establishment, Sui poured tea for himself and Guang. At a terrible timing, Guang’s stomach gave another loud growl.


“Spending so much on me, I mean,” Guang explained, slightly ashamed of himself for letting this happen. “I’m just a stranger to you. Why would you do this for me?”


Sui paused halfway through pouring his tea. Mysterious ocean blue eyes fixed on him, shimmering with a thousand words unspoken. Guang held his breath, ready for Sui’s answer, but Sui had ultimately closed his eyes in resignation. Disappointed, Guang lowered his head, but a clink made him look up.


Sui had placed a glass full of piping hot tea to him, nodding. With a halfhearted grin, Guang accepted it and started digging in his meal. A minute of silence passed, filled with only the clinking of cutlery and the muffled chattering of the customers outside the room. 


“Guang.”


In his haste to reply, Guang nearly choked on his food. After coughing several times, he croaked much like a dying frog, “Yes?”


With an awkward, pained expression, Sui said, “You asked me why I’m doing this for you.”


Guang too noticed how Sui had clenched his fists. Oh. Was this perhaps something hard for him to talk about? He didn’t like seeing that expression on Sui's face. If it was hurting Sui that much just to answer…


“It’s OK, you don’t have to say it,” Guang sighed. Sui appeared surprised, but Guang smiled in reassurance. “In exchange for today, though, I owe you one! So if there’s something I can help with, or if you’re in trouble, let me know!”


Bringing a fist up to his lips and leaning forwards, Sui started shaking. At first Guang thought something was wrong with Sui, but-


“Pft…hahaha.” 


Was…was Sui laughing at him? Guang was about to give an indignant cry, but seeing how happy Sui was, laughing freely, Guang held back his tongue. Compared to the look Sui had just now, it was much better this way. 


After that, things were easier between them. Between mouthfuls of kung pao chicken and rice, Guang told Sui about his situation. 


“I’ve only just woken up yesterday with no memory,” Guang stated proudly. 


Quirking an eyebrow, Sui asked, “Is that so?” 


Nodding, Guang stuffed another piece of chicken into his mouth. “Yeah yeah. Apparently I was in a major accident or something, hit my head, lost my memories. I was supposed to go home today, but everyone sucks, so-”


Ah, should he be telling Sui that he ran away from home? Sui might change his opinion of him if he found out that Guang had committed such a misdeed.


However, before Guang could change topic, Sui continued nonchalantly, “You ran away from home, didn’t you?”


Crap. Caught red-handed, huh.


Rubbing the back of his head, Guang nervously chuckled, “Haha…ha…yeah, you got me there. But listen, they were bad people! Forcing those tight, fancy clothes on me that I don’t even like and- and bringing me to a home I don’t even remember, and-”


Wait. Now that he thought about it, his parents hadn’t really done anything bad towards him, have they? Neither did the doctors, either. They treated him well, and his parents were only doing what was to be expected for their child. Was he the one overreacting this whole time? Why, though, when he had no logical reason to? Why did he hate them, when they had clearly done nothing to be hated?


“Sui…why do I hate them?”


He doesn’t know who else to ask. Ever since he had woken up, he was lonely. Everyone felt deceitful and untrustworthy, emanating a malicious aura. Only Sui…Sui was different. Around Sui, he could let his guard down. Around Sui, he could be himself. 


He wasn’t expecting an answer from Sui either. As much as Guang trusted Sui, time and time again he had to remind himself that they had just met. 


Sui, however, seemed to consider the question seriously. “I don’t understand either. Maybe it’s got to do with something before you lost your memories. Even so, Guang, they are your parents; you shouldn’t worry them too much, and perhaps you even owe them an apology.”


Guang chuckled, scratching his cheek. “Yeah, I suppose so.”


Once they finished their meal and had a light, hearty chat, Sui and Guang finally stepped out of the establishment. By now, the rain had ceased; their only remnants left as puddles on the ground. The sun was high in the sky, so bright that Guang had to use a hand to shield his eyes to view the cloudless sky. 


Ah, perhaps bright and sunny is best.


“Do you know where your house is, Guang?” 


Sui had turned up his hood, covering up his transparent hair. Guang frowned at that. He wanted to see more of it, but that thought was a little childish, so he kept it to himself. 


“Not really, but it’s a big manor with a crest of a dragon on the front gate.”


“Ah…it must be the Dragon Manor, then. Are you part of the Long family?”


“Y-yeah, that’s what I was told…”


Sui pointed towards the east. “It should be that way, then.”


With Sui leading the way, the both of them made their way to the Dragon Manor. It was a long walk: they passed streets of merchants, shops, a river and a park, all the time surrounded by tall, white buildings and people. When Guang was running away from home, he had failed to notice the landmarks, but only now did he marvel at the beauty of this place; it felt large, clean and advanced.


Along the way, Guang and Sui made small talk, joking around, acting like nothing was wrong, but Guang could feel it. A certain heavy tension hung in the air. After all, once Guang is back with his family, Sui will be on his way with his own life. He was sure that Sui knew that too. Even so, he doesn’t want Sui to go. Maybe he can convince Sui to come visit from time to time - it wouldn’t be fun, otherwise.


Out of the blue, Sui suddenly said seriously, “Guang, I need you to be a good kid, alright? To your parents and the people around you. I know you struggle to trust them and you may hate them, but not all of them intend you harm. Have some faith in them, alright?”


“I got it, I understand,” Guang sighed. “What’s with the sudden pep talk? Stop talking like a geezer, my ears are starting to hurt.”


Sui smiled, a beautiful expression that could only be matched by the brilliance of the sun. Guang gazed at Sui greedily - wanting the moment to last longer, for this journey to never end, so that he could cherish the present forever. 


Alas, everything must come to an end. Soon, the Dragon Manor came into sight. With it, Guang’s growing sense of discomfort, but Sui was here. Everything is going to be alright, he tried telling himself. 


At the front gates, he could see his parents pacing around in distraught, and he felt shameful for being the cause of their worry. He should probably go to them soon to ease their incessant worry.


Turning to Sui, he tried his best for a bright smile. “Well, I guess this is it. Sui, I-”


However, before he could complete his sentence, Sui interrupted, “Ah, I nearly forgot something.”


Squatting down, face-to-face with him, Sui reached out to him, freezing Guang on the spot. Wh-what was Sui trying to do? Holding his breath, he shivered as Sui’s cold hand brushed his right ear, leaving a small weight behind. When Sui stood back up, he touched his right ear, feeling something hard and cold hanging from his ear lobe.


“What is this?” 


“A parting gift.”


Guang’s eyes widened at the implication. Rushing forwards, he trapped Sui in the strongest hug his little arms could muster. “No, Sui, don’t leave me alone! Can you please come to visit - just once a week, once a month - I don’t care how long it takes! I just want to see you again!”


His outburst seemed to have caught Sui off guard, for the man was silent and still for a while. Not long later, though, Guang felt a cold, gentle hand rubbing his head. 


“We will meet again, Guang,” Sui reassured softly. “Although, it might take some time for me to come back. Can you take care of the earring in my stead, until we meet again?”


Guang nodded into Sui’s clothes, not wanting Sui to see the expression he was making now. Thankfully, Sui allowed Guang to hug him for a bit longer. It was just- separating from Sui was like tearing a part of him away. Sui was his light in the dark; he couldn’t stand the thought of being apart from Sui. 


Finally, Sui pulled away. Guang felt a sob rising to his throat, but seeing Sui’s eyes brimming with tears made him want to stay stronger for the two of them. Squeezing his eyes shut, he shouted, “You better not forget your promise!”


“I won’t,” Sui responded.


“You better come visit me!”


“I will.”


“...goodbye, Sui.”


Sui smiled, one last time. “Farewell, Guang. Now, go back home. Your family is waiting.”


Reluctantly, Guang parted from Sui, making his lonesome way to the manor. He kept on glancing back, wondering when Sui would finally leave, but he was always there, waving, watching him go. 


When he arrived at the front gates, his parents instantly dropped everything and ran towards him, surrounding him like hawks. A sense of discomfort overwhelmed him once more. He wanted to run away, get away from these people. It was through sheer will that he held himself back, knowing that Sui would not be happy with him running away again.


Forcing out his voice, which refused to work, he murmured with a constipated expression, “Father, mother, I’m back-”


Much to his surprise, Guang was scooped up into his sobbing mother's arms. “You had us worried sick, Guang!” 


Something squeezed in his chest at seeing his mother’s tearful face. While he didn’t regret running away, a part of him - maybe, just a small part of him - felt guilty about being responsible for his parents’ emotional state.


Trying his best to sound apologetic, Guang mumbled, “I’m sorry I ran away.”


His father shook his head, wiping a tear from his eye. “We’re just glad you’re safe. Let’s get you inside, Guang. You must be tired.”


As his parents led him into the manor, Guang spared one last look at the street outside. He had hoped that Sui was still there, but it seemed, finally, Sui had left him.




© 2023 Ling


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on December 24, 2023
Last Updated on December 24, 2023
Tags: fantasy, originalstory, hero, demonking, adventure, superpowers, prologue


Author

Ling
Ling

Malaysia



About
Fanfiction writer for 8 years. Also known as fangirl78123. I like salmon sashimi. more..

Writing