Chapter 18 Miria: A fallen hero

Chapter 18 Miria: A fallen hero

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

Chapter 18 Miria: The fallen hero 

"There has to be another way!" Chris yells over the roaring of the rapids.

The cawing in the distance is growing louder, making everyone panic, especially me; I'm the one they're after.

"There is none! Either cross here or we all become bird feed!" Alex yells back.

Chris wants to argue. The huge redwood log that stretches across the river looks study, but the wet, green moss covering it makes the surface slippery. No one wants to risk falling into the white-caped, icy river rapids. But we have no choice; this log is the only way across. If we don't move now, they'll get us.

They could have been following us for a while, but we only noticed them earlier today. Crows occasionally appeared in the canopy of the trees, seemingly harmless as they watched us ride by. There were about five of them; a good-sized murder. We thought they had just taken an interest in our food, and would eventually leave us alone. But they didn't. They got bolder; swooping down and peaking at us. Alex got a nasty cut across her cheek from one of their talons.

While we were eating lunch, Chris got an close-up look at one of the crows as he swatted it away. He immediately told us to pack up our stuff and start running; these weren't normal crows, they were Fenrir Warriors.

We moved as quickly as we could through the forest, but we couldn't shake the Crows off our trail. Now, we've reached this river with no way across but a precarious log. I know where we are; I've studied our map carefully. But I can't think of the river's name; in fact, I can't think clearly at all.

"Alright! Let me test it out first." Chris bravely jumps onto the log, and leads Scotch up behind him.

The crow's cawing gets louder behind us. I fold my arms tightly around me and pace a little as I watch Chris slowly make his way across. Alex looks as nervous as I do, but she stands still, quietly biting her nails.

When Chris slips halfway across, we both freeze. Thought I am still irritated at Chris, I don't want him to fall.

Thanks to his quick reflexes, and grip on Scotch's reins, he regains his balance, and makes it to the other side.

"Alright." Alex glances behind her, in the direction of the Crows. "You better get across quickly."

Frostbite and I jump up onto the log. The ground and the river suddenly look really far away. I want to walk quickly, but the slippery moss forces me to go slow. I hold on to Frostbite's leather reins so tightly my knuckles turn white. I can tell Frostbite is nervous by the way she tosses her head and flicks her ears around. But she is able to keep calm, and even helps me by drooping her nose over my shoulder, to give me support.

Then the Crow's erupt from the woods. There is only five of them, but the way they quickly fly together in a flurry of feathers make the murder look like a black mass floating towards us. They immediately go for me.

Most of the Crow's attacks are bluffs. They swoop down just so I will reach out and swat them, but they never touch me. They are just playing with me. Which is probably why they don't shift into their human form. It isn't worth their energy. I am just a game to them; "Who came make the Princess of Sølvefalske fall into the water first!"

I try to keep walking, but the black devils surround me. I feel one grab a piece of my hair and viciously tug me backwards. Frostbite rears up and whinnies, lashing out at the Crow's with her hooves. But they refuse to go away.

One of the Crow's fly straight into my face, forcing me to jerk away. The movement causes my feet to slip, and I land hard on the log, right on my head. I hear someone shout my name, but I am too dazed to respond.

I see the Crows start to attack Frostbite, pecking at her eyes and nose. In a crazed and fearful state, she leaps over me, almost slips, and runs to the other side of the river, almost knocking Chris over.

Then the Crows came back to me. As I curl up into a ball to try to protect my face, I realize this is what they want; me to be alone. Perhaps they thought sending Frostbite into a panic would cause her to accidentally knock me off the log.

I feel beaks and talons rip at my hair and clothing. For a second, I wonder if I will ever get away from them. As soon as I think that, the Crows disappear.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and look up to see Alex. In her hand is her dagger that she always carries with her, slightly red with some feathers sticking too it. She must have used it to fend off the Crows. But I know they will come back.

As Alex helps me up I hear a whiny from the other side of the log; Racer is being attacked by the birds. Two of them hover around her face and attack her eyes, and the other two peck at her flank. Alex must have taken out one of the Crows, but there are still enough of them to drive the horse mad. She frantically tosses her head and kicks her legs, but the Crow's are relentless.

When the Crows drive her to get up onto the log, I know something terrible is going to happen.

I have forgotten that Racer could be extremely skittish in some situations when I picked her out for this quest. If I had remembered that, I would have left her at home; a skittish horse was not a good ride to take into a dangerous wilderness. The only thing I was thinking about back then was my apprehension about leaving the castle.

Before Alex and I can run for the other side of the log, it happens; Racer bolts right towards us. The frenzy of the Crows make her go blind with fear. There is no telling if she can stop. We are doomed; we can't outrun her across the log. We are all going to end up in river.

Alex jumps towards Racer with her arms spread out, speaking to her gently. My hopes rise when I see Racer focus on Alex and recognize her. For a second, she forgets the frenzy of Crows and tries to stop. But her hooves slid on the moss, and she can't stop.

Racer rams into Alex, not too harshly, but enough to knock her off balance. I try to grab Alex, but I am too slow. She falls into the river.

Chris grabs my shoulder and pulls me the rest of the way across the log. But at the same time, he barely notices me. He has a fearful, fare-away look in his eye, and can't seem to turn away from the river. He hops onto Scotch, and runs along the river, searching for Alex. I climb onto Frostbite and follow him.

Instead of perusing us, the Crows fly off into the distance. They caw loudly, as if they are laughing.

As my fear dies down, I become aware of my worry. Alex and Racer are no where to be seen. We have to get them out of the water before they drown, and warm them up before hypothermia kills them. Both seem like an impossible race against time.

Between the slippery rocks, and the slope of the hill, the land is becoming more treacherous. It is easier for a running horse to break a leg, and we didn't have any proper medical supplies with us. But Chris refuses to slow down, and even urges Scotch to go faster. The pony's stoutness gives him an advantage, so going fast isn't too much of a problem for him. Frostbite, on the other hand, doesn't have that same advantage. In fact, her legs are pretty long and thin. I can't risk her getting hurt, so I let her slow down and fall behind.

After navigating the rocks, we come to a peaceful bend in the river. The rapids pours from a short drop, and leveled out into a calm pool. Chris is kneeling in the water, hunched over.

I dismount Frostbite and slowly walk over to him. When I get closer, I realize he is crying. I feel completely helpless--I have never had to comfort anyone before. Plus, seeing a boy like Chris--such a brave and strong leader--crying made me nervous.

I keep my distance as I peak around him. I immediately regret it.

In his arms is the lifeless body of Alex. A part of me hopes she is still alive, but she doesn't shiver from the cold, or gasp for air. Dread grows quickly inside me.

I am about to offer CPR (even though I never really practiced it, I knew it) when I notice the bloody gash on Alex's temple. The blood from the wound stains her red hair a darker shade. I realized she is beyond help.

I slap my hand over my moth as I force myself to turn away from the scene. Then, I hear a soft snort coming from behind me.

Racer has washed up on the shore just a few feet away from Alex. I fall on my knee's besides her and examine her. She is alive, but she doesn't look good. Her eyes are dim, her nostrils flare, and her breath is shallow. Violent shivers over take her whole body. She is going into shock, and doesn't have much time.

Frostbite comes up and nuzzles Racer gently, but Racer doesn't respond. I stand up and grab a blanket from our camp supplies strapped on Frostbite's back, and start rubbing Racer down to warm her up. I realize my efforts will only be effective if I get Racer completely out of the water. I tie Racer's reins to Frostbite's saddle and tell Frostbite to go. All my thoughts and feelings for the moment are focused on saving Racer.

When Racer is completely out of the water, I start rubbing her down again. But her breath gets shallower, and her shivering stops.

"No no no!" I whisper frantically.

Dispite my efforts, Racer goes completely still and cold.

I drop the blanket and back away. I glance over at Chris, who is still kneeling in the water. Alex and Racer are both dead.

I couldn't control my emotions any longer. I buried my face in my hands and sob.



© 2017 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

so sad!( happy halloween. Im back, hopfully I'll remember to read more of your story soon, It is great as usual. I love phrases like i can't tell if the sound is water or blud rushing in my head(poorly paraphrased)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Happy Halloween.
Hey reader! Once again, thank you for reading. the fact that you have gotten this far in my story is great. Now I have a question for you.

We've seen Miria develop a relationship with Alex. Miria, who has barely ever been able to be friends with anyone. Suddenly she developed this trust in Alex, who has the power to drive her on in this quest. Only to disappear beneath the white rapids. Not only does this fill Mir's heart with guilt, but it rips Chris' heart apart.
But what if it was Chris who fell?

So far, Chris has been a jerk to Mir. But only because the Fenrir Warriors have caused him so much pain. If he were to fall, Mir would feel the same amount of guilt for not getting to know Chris's better side, and Alex would be heartbroken. But then, Alex and Mir have to make it through the woods alone. If would give their friendship the chance to deepen, but then it could also develop into something more.

I ask you, readers, who should die, and who should fall in love with who. Mir falling for Alex would cause more controversy that Mir would have to fight. But I've already thought up a deeper backstory for Chris. Of course, nothing to say that same backstory couldn't be switched to Alex.

I am indifferent about either way. However, making Mir fall for Alex would require a lot of reworking. But if you guys feel like that would be better, I'm totally open to it. Let me know what you think!

Posted 7 Years Ago


DRAGO

7 Years Ago

one request. It may be my stop and start reeding of this, but it is sumetimes hard to tell who is do.. read more
DRAGO

7 Years Ago

how has noone answered the question?
A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

I don't now, it's just an idea. But thanks for that request, I'll look into that as I'm updating.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 11, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2017
Tags: Wolves, teens, mythology, humor, adventure


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley