Chapter 21 Jay: Wolf pups are so easy to--never mind.

Chapter 21 Jay: Wolf pups are so easy to--never mind.

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

Chapter 21 Jay: Wolf pups are so easy to--never mind.

"I don't suppose you know anything about babysitting?" I say to Ylvana.

She shakes her head. "I don't like kids. Puppies and kittens are so much better than human kids."

"Besides," Pine cuts in, "they probably won't give us much trouble."

Pine is right; Aiden and Archer seem to tumbled around in the grass together peacefully. But I know better than to let my guard down; Winter gave us this task for a reason. 

No sooner had he said that, Pine shrieks painfully. One of the pups latches on to his tail, and starts playing tug-of-war.

"Aah! Okay, that hurt." Pine winces. "Ylvana, Jay, help me!" He cries.

We are too busy laughing to help Pine. After struggling to pull back his tail, he finally retrieves it from the pup's jaws, and the twins continue to wrestle around together.

"Okay, Ana. I agree with you not liking human children, but I don't see how wolf pups are any better," he wines.

"What are you talking about, Pine? They seem to like you." Ana smiles at him. Pine gives her a mean look.

"How can you not like kids? Don't you remember what it was like?" I ask Ylvana.

She shrugs. "I just hate remembering embarrassing things I did when I was a kid."

I just nod. From what I know, she probably spent her childhood in the village, playing in the woods with her friends. Meanwhile, my childhood was nothing but lessons on fighting and loneliness that got worse as I got older. Ylvana didn't seem to know how good her life was.

Ylvana glances back over to where the pups were playing, and her ears stick up.

"They're gone!"

Sure enough, the wolf pups who have just been in plain sight a moment ago had completely vanished, along with my chance at finding a new home with the wolf pack.

I jump up. "Aiden, Archer!" But no response came.

"You've got to be kidding me," Ylvana says, scanning the forest. "We've been here for five minutes and they've already disappeared!"

"They couldn't have gone far. Plus, there's four of us. We can find them before daybreak," I say, trying to stay optimistic.

"I'll scope ahead," Luna offers, "but I'm not sure how well I'll be able to see through the brush."

She takes off. Pine, Ylvana, and I start tromping through the woods. Ylvana puts her nose to the ground and sniffs.

"I think they went this way. That's their scent, isn't it?" she asks.

"Yes, but it's a few days old," I say after I sniff the ground. "Don't you know how to tell fresh scents from old ones?"

She gives me an angry look. "I'm sorry, I didn't wonder around the castle sniffing things!"

"Guys," Pine interrupts, "come on. You'll scare the pups away with all you're arguing."

"We're not arguing!" Ylvana and I both say at once, a little louder than necessary.

Pine shrinks back. "Geez, I'd hate to see you two actually angry at each other."

We follow the scent trail through the woods. A good hour later, we realize we've been going in a huge circle. The pups must have been purposely hiding from us, like this was a fun game of hide and seek. As long as the pups stayed low in the brush, and kept moving, they could easily avoid us.

Suddenly I get an idea. "I know what we have to do! Wolves howl to find each other. That's probably the only thing the pups will respond to; they'll come to us."

"But we can't. Wolves can hear howls from miles away; the pack will know something's wrong," Ylvana argues.

"But, something is wrong." Pine looks at her.

"Do you want them to know that? Besides," Ana turns back to me, "I've never howled before."

My jaw drops. "You've never---what kind of a wolf are you?"

"A human one!" Ylvana snaps at me.

"Guys. Pups. Search. Quietly. Remember?" Pine cuts in again. "Wait a minute!" He looks at Ana. "You can sing!"

Ylvana thinks about it for a moment. "Do you really think that would work?"

"Wait a minute," I say. "You sing?"

She raises an eyebrow at me. "You sound surprised."

"Well, you just don't seem like the singing type."

"Oh, and what is that suppose to mean?"

"Okay, you guys are fighting more than Luna and I." Pine looks between us. "Knock it off already!"

Ylvana shifts into human form, and looks around the forest. She starts to sing a haunting tune:

Are you going to Scarborough fair?

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.

Remember me, to one who lives there.

He once was, a true love of mine.

For a moment, I am completely distracted by her soft, sweet voice. It's melodic and calming, with undertones of mystery and power. Music is one thing I've always loved, but I never get the chance to enjoy much. Father isn't too fond of the arts. He thinks they are a waste of time. Only when I am completely alone in my room will I dare sing. I want to learn to play the violin, too, but I never had the time.

I don't know the words, so I hum along in a low tone. Ana doesn't stop singing, but looks down at me with a slight smirk.

After singing a couple of versus, it isn't too long before the wolf pups emerge from the bush. They stare at Ana, completely transfixed by the song. She kneels down, and holds out her hand in a welcoming gesture. The pups bound forwards, jumping into her lap. They yelp with delight when she picks them up, and starts carrying them to the den, all the while singing;

Tell him to make me a Cambric shirt.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.

Without any seams, nor needlework,

And he'll be a true love of mine.

When we reach the meadow, Ana puts the pups back on the ground. Instead of running off, they stay close, edging her on for more songs. We're all tired, but Ana keep's singing, slowly lulling the pups to sleep.

When I wake up in the morning, I find one of the pups asleep between my forelegs

When I wake up in the morning, I find one of the pups asleep between my forelegs. His brother is curled up next to Ana, now in wolf form. Both are sleeping very peacefully.

I really want to get up and get a drink of water, but I don't want to disturb the sleeping pup.

Luckily, the wolf pack is just returning to the meadow. Winter walks up to me.

"How did it go? Did they give you any trouble?" She asks, looking down at the pup.

"Ah, no. We took care of it," I answer.

Winter nods at me. She bends down and picks up the wolf pup by the scruff of the neck (who surprisingly stays sleeping) and carries him into the den. She comes back and takes the other pup sleeping besides Ylvana.

"You have done well," Winter says after she comes back. "You are permitted to travel us. But understand this; there will be other challenges. Every wolf has to carry their own weight. If you can not keep up, you will be left behind."

I nod at Winter, careful to avoid my eyes respectfully. "I understand."

"Good," she turns and starts walking away. "the pack will start patroling the border of the territory. I suggest you get ready."

I stretch out my legs and stand. Before heading to the stream, I glance again at Ylvana. Her face is calm; she looks the most content and comfortable I have ever seen her. Her light silver fur flutters in the breeze. She looks so different from the frightened wolf I have met four days ago. I wish I could have got to know her even better.

The sky is light even though the sun is just barely over the mountains. A light silver mist clung between the trees and wafts into the air. It is the time perfectly in between the harsh sunlight of day and the darkness of night. After drinking from the stream, I am walking back into the woods when I hear someone coming. Ana walks out of the woods, a few yards away from me. She is completely unaware of my presence.

I watch her take a drink from the stream; her fur almost perfectly matches the fog. Then, I smell another wolf: Bodolf comes out of the forest and stands besides her.

"Sleep well?" he says to Ylvana.

"Yes, thank you," she says.

Bodolf looks out into the woods. "Your friend's service will be greatly appreciated among are pack in these hard times." He looks back at Ylvana. "You two are very much alike; we could use a wolf like you as well. Or, there is a place I know I could take you where you would be safe." 

Ylvana's lips curl into a polite smile. "Thank you, but my place is back home. What exactly do you mean by 'hard times'?"

Bodolf signs. "Our territory has been threatened by the men in black armor. They've pushed us from our home, and are hunting the caribou; our main food source. That is why my wolves were so harsh with you. We must always be on our guard nowadays."

From my distance, I can see Ylvana's hackles slightly rise.

"All across the mountains, I've seen marks from the Crows." She shakes her head. "I just don't understand how they could do such things."

Guilt hits me in the gut; I know it isn't practical, but I can't help but take responsibility for my people's actions.

"Life is a constant battle of two forces," Bodolf says. "Of which living things are born from in between. These powers must balance out if life is to continue."

Ylvana nods. "I wish there was something I could do."

Bodolf looks at her with an odd smile. "There's always something."

Ylvana looks confused, but she nods. "Like hurrying home, before they catch up to me."

Bodolf nods, and wishes her farewell. She walks back into the forest, right towards me, but still unaware I am here. I decide to take advantage of this opportunity, and crouch low in the bushes.

Just as she is passing by, I leap, and knock her to the ground.

She grunts and looks up at me. "What the heck, Jay! I just woke up!"

I smile as I stand over her. "No excuse. You're going to have to be aware at all times, now that I won't be around to protect you."

She gives me a look. "You protect me? Just like you protected me from that mountains lion?"

I back off a little. "Cut me some slack, that was terrifying!"

Ylvana gets up at the moment Bodolf's howl rings out; it is time to go.

"I guess this is goodbye," I say. Luna and Pine appear and stand besides Ylvana.

"Well, I can't say it's been fun," Ylvana smiles.

"Exciting sounds more appropriate," I finish.

Ylvana shifts into human form and wraps her arms around me. I savor the moment; the feel of her silky silver cloak, her soft golden hair that smells like camp fire and pine needles, and overall, the warmth of her hug. A part of me wishes it will never end. But she let's go, and starts walking away, shifting back into wolf form.

"Goodbye, Bird Brain," she calls over her shoulder.

"See ya, Wolf girl." I say.

Pine and Luna look back at me sadly, but the only person I focus on is Ylvana. I may never see her again. But this is for the better; I have the chance to start a new life living with the wolves.



© 2017 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley